Apple Pie Pancakes

by Meghann on October 21, 2012

There’s a place in San Diego called Richard Walker’s that’s famous for their pancakes.

DSCN0942.JPG

Scratch that. They’re not just famous for their pancakes, they’re famous for their apple pancake.

DSCN0950.JPG

This thing is probably the best “pancake” I’ve ever had in my life. Only I hesitate to actually call it a pancake since it’s more like apple pie than pancake. It’s light and fluffy, yet rich and delicious and full of warm cinnamon gooey goodness.

My brother posted a photo of his girlfriend eating this famous pancake on Facebook about year ago and I immediately recognized it.

293385_10101365439874361_651338316_n.jpg

He joked how I was able to recognize a dish just from a vague photo and I did him one better by not only telling him where the pancakes were from, but sent him a link to the blog post where I had dined on the exact pancake.

What can I say? It was a memorable pancake.

Anyway, my parents made the trip out west to visit my brother last weekend and he took them to the famous pancake place during a day trip to San Diego. My dad fell in love with the pancake, and true to my dad’s desire to replicate every amazing dish he’s ever had, he insisted on recreating the pancake as soon as he got back home.

He wasn’t kidding, not only did he attempt recreating it a week later, but I’d say he just about it nailed it.

How awesome does that look? And that’s all him, he didn’t even look up the apple pancake recipe, he just came up with the process on his own. I love my dad.

So, how did he do it?

He started with a small frying pan of melted butter, brown sugar, and peeled apple slices

Then he added the waffle batter (his tried-and-true waffle recipe from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook with whipped egg whites <- the secret to fluffy waffles!)

IMG_2402.JPG IMG_2403.JPG

And placed it in the oven at 375 for 5 minutes

Once the pancake was done, he flipped it over on a plate.

Apple pie pancake yumminess. :)

This was good. REALLY good. If you’re looking to impress family with amazing pancakes, this is your ticket. Heck, I think this pancake would make some dessert too. A little vanilla ice cream, a sprinkle of powdered sugar, and your golden.

The whole pancake was a little too rich for me, so I split my pancake with my sister-in-law and balanced the sweetness with some savory sausage gravy and half a biscuit.

Oh, man. That was a killer breakfast. Not healthy in the least, but it sure tasted good.

Can I have another plate right now? Please? ;)

Have you ever tried recreating your favorite restaurant dish at home? Were you successful?

1 lisa fine October 21, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Oh wow. That would hit the spot. I have a cold or something, and have been craving comfort food all day.
lisa fine recently posted..going on here

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 21, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I can’t have apples because of the fructose, but I’m going to recreate this using peaches at some point. Ohmygoodness — they look FABULOUS!! And I can’t believe he was able to replicate it just like that! He certainly has culinary talents FAR beyond my abilities!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..SES #9 — I’m Scared

3 Stephanie October 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Looks delish! I think I would probably only eat half as well. My sweet tooth has definitely toned down in the past year or so.
Stephanie recently posted..How to Achieve Running Success – Mile Twenty Eight

4 kris October 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm

mmm that is one goood lookin pancake!
kris recently posted..pumpkin swirled brownies

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 21, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I am officially jealous. What an amazing-looking breakfast!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Pasta Bake Recipe

6 julie October 21, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Oh, ouch! Don’t give Richard Walkers to San Diego — that’s a Chicagoland original! ( ok, ok …with a San Diego location)

7 luv what you do October 21, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I had no idea that San Diego had a Richard Walkers. It looks like you did a fantastic job making the pancake. It is one of the best things on the menu!!! I saw blueberry muffin bread french toast on TV and made it at home…it was amazing!
luv what you do recently posted..Lately, I’ve Been (II)…

8 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 21, 2012 at 8:09 pm

That may be the best idea anyone has ever had!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Food, Family, Fun!

9 Jenn October 21, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Was actually started in Chicago before a brother moved to CA. In Chicago area they are called Walker Brothers & they serve the same delicious apple pancake!

10 Meghan October 21, 2012 at 8:22 pm

That looks amazing! I keep trying to recreate butter cake. I’ve done a million recipes and none have compard to those that were truly delish from bakeries that have since shut down! Not fair!
Meghan recently posted..Atlantic City Half Marathon!

11 Cher @ Weddicted October 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Yum! Might have to make this sometime – my husband would love it, too! I tried to recreate a flatbread from The House of Blues not long ago.. it tasted similar, but definitely exactly! I think at home it’s hard to not “healthify” dishes, so they never end up tasting like decadent restaurant meals.

12 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 21, 2012 at 8:40 pm

wow those pancakes look delicious. usually when I order apple pancakes its like an apple syrupy thing on top not actually in the batter! yummy!
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Sweaty Sunday 10.15.12-10.21.12

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 21, 2012 at 8:50 pm

That’s so impressive! whenever I try to recreate a restaurant meal, I at least need to look up a similar meal otherwise i’ll never even come close.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Groceries and Meal Plans: 10/20–10/27.

14 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 21, 2012 at 9:04 pm

okay that looks amazing. your dad is a culinary genius!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Make a Schedule!

15 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 21, 2012 at 9:37 pm

We have a Richard Walkers in my town but sadly their apple pancake is pretty awful…I wonder if the recipe could vary for some reason?
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Dreams DO Come True

16 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Wow that looks incredible! I rarely make pancakes but this recipe is making me think that needs to change :)

17 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 21, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Yum! I thought my pumpkin french toast this morning was dreamy but this is def a new level of awesome. I love trying to recreate restaurant meals. We recreate Bonefish Grill’s bang bang shrimp all the time :)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..All Sundays should start with Pumpkin French Toast

18 Carrie @ The Cook's Palette October 22, 2012 at 2:02 am

Wow, that pancake looks amazing! I was just thinking today that I need to switch things up with my breakfast. A pancake like that may be just the ticket!
Carrie @ The Cook’s Palette recently posted..olive oil granola with cardamom + pistachios

19 Becky @ runfundone October 22, 2012 at 9:57 am

I know this is just what it LOOKS like, but your dad’s pancake even LOOKS more delicious than the restaurant pancake!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Doctor, Doctor

20 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I’m impressed with your dad’s cooking skills! That pancake looks just as good at the restaurant one—Y.U.M. yum.
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Baby Bottles + Bento Boxes

21 Kylie @ immaeatthat October 23, 2012 at 11:30 pm

That is the most fantastic pancake I’ve seen in a long time. I’m gonna have to try it:)
Kylie @ immaeatthat recently posted..Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies

22 Katelyn October 24, 2012 at 11:41 am

Sorry if this was already answered, but what kind of apples do you recommend using? Thanks!
I’m a new reader – your blog is great! :)

23 Meghann October 24, 2012 at 10:42 pm

We used fuji, but I don’t think it matters. :)