What I’m Watching

by Meghann on October 18, 2012

Thank goodness for leftover soup!

I have to say I am not a fan of chicken noodle soup from a can, but I do appreciate a bowl of the homemade stuff. Especially when veggies are involved (like the carrots and okra I added to last night’s batch). Plus, it’s so easy, all you need is leftover chicken, veggies, broth, and noodles and you’re good to go.

Random cucumber slices on the side.

What I’m Watching

Paula wrote a post earlier this week on what was currently keeping her attention on the TV, so I thought it would be fun to write one of my own.

Here’s what’s currently filling up my DVR:

Married to Jonas

marriedtojonas.jpg

I know, I know – I can’t believe I’m admitting this either, but Married to Jonas has really pulled me in. I started watching it On Demand, then added the show to my DVR list. I think I like watching it because it focuses more on the Deleasa family (Kevin’s in-laws) over the Jonas. The Deleasas are a close-knit, loud, and loving family that reminds me a lot of my own. They make me laugh and I love watching them.

Once Upon a Time

Once_upon_a_time_logo.jpg

I wrote a blog post recently how I ripped through the first season of Once Upon a Time in a matter of a week. The first season was addicting as the story unfolded of what exactly happened to the town of Storybrook. Now that the truth is out – and magic is back – the show still has me interested (though I’m not quite as insanely addicted as the first season). I’m really curious to see how the rest of this season will unfold.

Switched at Birth

switched_at_birth-show.jpg

LOVE Switched at Birth. I’m telling you, ABC Family does something right over there with all the teen dramas they spit out. I’m secretly rooting that Angelo and Regina will find a way to work it out, and am I the only who is cringing slightly whenever Daphne makes her moves on the chef? The desperation is almost too much to take.

Gossip Girl

gossip-girl-season-6-promo-pic_268x210.jpg

I love Gossip Girl as much as the next person, but after so many years of watching my favorite couples being pulled apart and put back together, I can honestly say I think it’s a good sign that this is their final season. I mean, really, what more could they have left? And what’s up with Dan? I’m so tired of his self loathing attitude. Give that boy back his confidence!

Giuliana and Bill

GiulianaBill.jpg

It’s baby time! I’ve been watching since the very, very beginning and can’t believe how far they’ve come as a couple. From talking about babies, to trying to conceive, to fighting breast cancer, to finally having a baby via surrogate. I love that Giuliana and Bill keep it real, they’re my favorite reality couple.

Parenthood

parenthood.jpg

Another show I love to watch because it reminds me of my family, or how I see my family when my siblings and I are all in our 40s. Almost every episode moves me to tears are one point or another. The writers do a great job of introducing new drama without going over the top.

Revolution

revolution.jpg

Again, another show I blogged about after it’s premiere. I’m still hooked and honestly curious how the power turned off and how to turn it back on. They’re gradually pulling me in further with background character story lines ( a la Lost). My only fear is that I’m investing in a show that won’t be around much longer. Fingers crossed it sticks around.

The Mindy Project

the-mindy-project.jpeg

I have a new girl crush on Mindy Kaling. She is hilarious and her new show is genius. You need to watching it. That is all.

Nashville

ABC-Nashville-Poster.jpg

Watched the first episode On Demand when there was nothing else on. I wasn’t planning on watching it, but was honestly curious if the first episode was any good or not. Turns out it was. I thought it would just focus on the two singers, but it stretches beyond that and really does cover the ins and out of Nashville as a slightly corrupt town and not just the lead characters as presented in the previews.

Vampire Diaries

Celebutopia_NET.The_Vampire_Diaries.Calendar_2012..Scanned_by_KROQJOCK.HQ_.14.jpg

Elena’s a vampire! I’ll admit that I was a little bored with this past season, but the fact that Elena is now a vampire adds a nice little twist in there for the new one. And choosing between Stefan and Damian? Was there really any doubt she was going to go the other way? Nope.

Glee

Glee.jpg

I was so scared I wasn’t going to like the new changes this season, but I’m really digging it. I love that they followed Rachel to NYC and I love her new friend (hottie! hottie!). Also, is it strange I don’t really miss the other old characters when I watch the show? I’m not sure if it’s just the writers doing a good job of making us forget they exist or they really weren’t that important to the cast? hmm..

The Office

The-office.jpg

Another show that has probably gone past its time. I love you Dunder Mifflin gang, but I think it’s time to move on. I’ll watch this final season, just as I’ve watched every season before it, but I’m really happy this will be the final one. Honestly, you lost my attention when Michael left, the show just hasn’t been the same without him.

What are you watching?

1 Katie @ running4cupcakes October 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I feel the exact same way about Revolution and The Office!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 10/14/12

2 natalie @ will jog for food October 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I’m getting into Revolution too. The first few episodes I was iffy, but the plot is getting thicker and it’s reeling me in!

I’m with you on the Office. I still watch every show religiously, but it’s not the same without Michael Scott :(
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Week 15 Preggo Update

3 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 18, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Ditto on Revolution. It is similar to lost. I’m not exactly hooked, but my husband loves it so I watch it with him. Also- I’ve caught a few of the switched at birth episodes on netflicks and I like it too!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..WIAW #13 – KEEN-WAH Decadence Review

4 Lindsay October 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Wow, it must be nice to have so much time to watch all those TV shows! Do you just have it on in the background while you’re working from home? I am lucky if I can watch one episode of an hour long show each night.

5 Meghann October 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm

We usually catch up on tv over the weekends or at night (most things are DVRed and watched when we can get to them). I learned very early on that I can’t work with the tv on – I’m too easily distracted!

6 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 18, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Parenthood has been my favorite show lately. I’m also still going strong with Grey’s Anatomy but I think it’s past its prime too!
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..Core Boards and Pumpkin Spice French Toast

7 Meghann October 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Yeah, I gave up on Grey’s a while ago. I did watch the premiere this season and thought it was good, but I think it’s time for the producers to pack up and move on.

8 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 18, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I really want to watch Nashville, but I’ve been busy the past two Wednesday’s!!! Boo
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Amica Half-Marathon Recap #2

9 Meghann October 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm

That’s why I love On Demand. You can also catch up with the show online, check out ABC’s website!

10 Lindsay October 18, 2012 at 2:45 pm

If you get Showtime, you MUST start watching Homeland. I plowed through the first season On Demand in 2 days. (There were 12 one hour episodes. Not ashamed.) It’s on it’s second season now, and it is SO GOOD.

Also, I’m a die hard Grey’s Anatomy fan, but I think it’s getting past it’s prime. It’s almost like they need to know when the series is going to end so they can think of a really great storyline. It’s kind of just dragging now, even a bunch of characters leaving and coming.
Lindsay recently posted..No Longer Sham-Less

11 Meghann October 18, 2012 at 3:02 pm

We don’t have Showtime, but I’ve heard really good things about it. I think the first season is on Netflix, I’ll have to check it out. And 100% agree about Grey’s, I stopped watching it last season and haven’t felt the need to pick it back up (or even play catch up online)

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I am so jealous of people with TVs… there are just some shows that aren’t available online, like Married to Jonas and Giuliana & Bill. Both I love and wish I could watch other than when I’m puppy-sitting at my brother’s apartment! Haha. But I’m also watching Once Upon a Time, the Office, Glee, Mindy Project and Gossip Girl. I also watch Project Runway and America’s Next Top Model.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

13 Lindsay October 18, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Don’t worry, you’re not missing out on much without having access to Married to Jonas. I happened to flip to it once when I was bored and literally couldn’t get through 10 minutes of it. And I’m not a TV snob–I like terrible reality shows just like the rest of them! But man is Married to Jonas a terrible show.

14 Meghann October 18, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I like your taste in tv shows. ;)

15 Dione October 18, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I love talking TV:). I am an addict and I have no shame. My current favorites are Grimm, Once Upon a Time, The Walking Dead (3rd season just started!), Two Broke Girls, and Revolution. I never tire of the Big Bang Theory and love Game of Thrones when it’s on. What show devestated you the most when it was cancelled prematurely? For me it was Pushing Daisies. I’m watching my DVDs right now and it breaks my heart the strike killed it.

16 Meghann October 18, 2012 at 3:05 pm

My twitter/ facebook feed blew up with the premiere of Walking Dead this week, apparently I need to start watching it? I’ve also heard good things about Game of Thrones (I need to watch it on NetFlix!). There are too many good shows that are cancelled before their time, I’m not even sure where to start! Luckily most of the live in NetFlix Instant PLay heaven now. :)

17 Anne October 18, 2012 at 2:58 pm

We have most of the same taste. I’m so excited for Giuliana and Bill. Even my husband watches it, although he doesn’t HAVE to watch it. And I definitely concur about the backstories on Revolution that really remind me of Lost. I had a dream about the power going out the other day. It was like 6 weeks later, and we were still okay, but I was trying to make sure everyone knew how serious it was.
Anne recently posted..The Good Runs

18 Anne October 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Oh, and I’ve been loving the music on Nashville! Both the “real” music and the “fake” music.
Anne recently posted..The Good Runs

19 JessicaR October 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Dexter, Breaking Bad, and Prison Break. A trifecta of amazingness ;)

20 Meghann October 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I was really into Dexter at one point, but i think that’s another show that may be past its prime now. I’m sad to say I have no desire to watch the last 2 seasons on Netflix. :(

21 JessicaR October 18, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Yeah, I’ve heard :( I’ve been watching it on DVDs from the library and just finished Season 4, so I have a little while to go before everyone says it gets bad. I loved Trinity in S4, but couldn’t stand (**spoiler alert**) Dexter when he was married and living with Rita, so I’m hoping S5 will be a little better in that regard?!

22 Melissa October 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Let’s see…

The Office lost me sometime in 2007ish when Jim and Pam got together. Gah!

I haven’t watched Nashville – I want to though, so I am going to try to watch it sometime this weekend on OnDemand.

Glee lost me during the second season.

I really want to see The Mindy Project as I love her! Maybe it’ll be on OnDemand?

Now, don’t judge me, but I just bought (!) the first two seasons of The Hills on Amazon this week. Yeah… But hey! I never watched it until a few weeks ago when I randomly put on MTV on the cardio machine at the gym and watched an episode. It was so bad it was good!

Other shows I try to catch: Criminal Minds, The Middle, Modern Family, Suburgatory (this grew on me. I hated it at first)

Also, ANYTHING on Investigate Discovery! That channel is the best.

I want to watch The Wire too.

23 Carissa @Fit2Flex October 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I was totally going to do a Paula inspired TV post today too! I just finished watching Nashville. LOVE! I’m also watching revolution, but I’m bored with it. Loving Once Upon a Time, and I kinda liked the first Chicago Fire. I’m also watching Revenge, all the real housewives, Guiliana & Bill, and waiting for the top chef seattle to start!
Carissa @Fit2Flex recently posted..Eight is Great Cardio Challenge

24 Ashley @ LibertyBelles October 18, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I think we have similar tv tastes. I love a lot of those shows! You need to start watching revenge and homeland. Both are amazing!

25 Dori October 18, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Another comment telling you that Homeland is BRILLIANT. Amazingly well acted and just incredible. I also have an addiction to Criminal Minds. I’m liking The Mindy Project a lot too, I love her. Her memoir was really funny and made me want to find a way to make her my best friend.
Dori recently posted..Blue Cross Blue Shield365 Program + VISA $500 Gift Card Giveaway

26 Krista October 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I’m loving Nashville too! I also love most reality shows that are out there, the housewives, married to jonas…and I love Downton Abbey. Can’t wait for the 3rd season to start in January, but in the meantime I’m watching Call the Midwives (another PBS show)

27 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 18, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Totally agree on ABC Family’s teen shows. They are my guilty pleasure! All my friends make fun of me for watching those shows but it’s because they haven’t given them a chance!

28 Melanie October 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Have you ever seen The Walking Dead on AMC? One of the best shows on tv right now! Season 3 just started last Sunday! I highly recommend!

I know what you mean about Revolution! I’m worried it will be cancelled too. Another JJ Abrams show I watched was Alcatraz and it was cancelled after one season. I also watched Terra Nova and it too was cancelled.

Happy Watching!

29 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 18, 2012 at 3:46 pm

That revolution show sounds interesting – I might have to keep an eye out for it!

I’m loving:
Glee
How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
The Wire (boyfriends favourite show, now making me watch it with him. it’s not what I would normally watch, but I’m liking it)
Girls (so awkward. so awesome)
Dexter
The Walking Dead (minor obsession with all things zombies)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Canadian Classic.

30 Tiffany C October 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I’m loving Revolution myself! It just sucks me in more and more each episode.
I’m also loving New Girl. That show cracks me up!
Ben & Kate is pretty funny too. It’s a brand new series so we’ll see if I stay interested.

31 Rebecca October 18, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Yay Parenthood! I watch that show all the time – and have been since the beginning when I tuned in to watch Lauren Graham.

I also watch: Grey’s Anatomy, Modern Family, Amazing Race, that new show with Kiefer Sutherland (name is escaping me right now) and Big Bang Theory. That is about it. I have almost zero time for watching TV and I struggle to just watch my faves :-) I try to watch Parenthood and the Thursday line up live, but almost everything else is ‘On Demand’. Watching it when it is on is a bit of a treat!
Rebecca recently posted..Three Things Thursday!

32 Cathy October 18, 2012 at 4:04 pm

So glad I’m not the only one watching Married to Jonas! :)

33 Lisa in IL October 18, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Revolution was renewed for a 2nd season with a promise of better dialog & depth of characters!

34 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run October 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Now, how many of those shows does Derek watch with you? :-)
I still like The Office. I miss Michael, but I think it’s still just as funny as it was in previous seasons. It will be nice to see it all wrapped up though.
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..I’m Too Old for Fun

35 Lauren October 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Thank goodness it’s the last season of GG! I feel ya, I don’t think my emotions can take another tragedy.
I barely watch tv but in the mornings when I run on the treadmill, I’ve been loving How I Met Your Mother and Happy Endings. ANd of course, Modern Family is always a good time!
Lauren recently posted..The Winning Mac and Cheese

36 Kelly October 18, 2012 at 4:24 pm

We usually record Sons of Anarchy, Two Broke Girls, Mike & Molly, Big Bang, Persons of Interest. Our problem is finding the time to watch them. We manage to watch SOA on Wednesday nights because nothing else is on. But the rest take some planning.

37 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 18, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I haven’t started dvr’ing Jonas yet but def like watching it when I catch it. Love mindy project and parenthood too. I agree with u about gossip girl, this show needs to end but I still can’t stop watching. My favorites are still Modern Family and Dexter.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Monsters and Halloween candy

38 Chelsea L. October 18, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I agree with you on Parenthood – it’s so good and I can’t get enough! I’ve watched The Office since the start, and am happy that this season is the last. My favorites right now are Modern Family, Castle, New Girl, and Bones (in addition to Parenthood)!

39 Katie October 18, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I started watching Revenge on Monday because my sister told me about how good it was….and she was NOT kidding. I am already done with Season 1! It is such a good show!

40 Maggie October 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I’ve tried watching all the shows you listed and have literally disliked all of them. What are the chances?? But I love your blog :)

I did a post in the spring about the (obscene number of) shows I watch: http://pickyandhealthy.com/2012/05/17/what-im-watching/ I need to update it now that the new fall shows are here.
Maggie recently posted..Around the Web

41 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer October 18, 2012 at 5:14 pm

The only two shows I have heard of were Glee (though I’ve never watched it) and Vampire Diaries (haven’t watched it either) I DVR Workaholics, Tosh.0, and TrueBlood. That’s it! And the only one currently on is Tosh.0. OH and House Hunters! My favorite! :)
Sloane @ Life Food and Beer recently posted..What’s for Dinner??

42 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 18, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I love married with jonas, gossip girl and giuliana and bill! I never get a chance to watch them though and kind of just watch when I see that they are on tv. I need a DVR asap. I also wanted to watch Nashville. It looks cute!
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Cupcake 5K + New Race

43 Elisabeth October 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I’m watching my old favorites- The Mentalist, Person of Interest, Parenthood (makes me cry every time!), Blue Bloods and The Voice. I also picked up Chicago Fire, X Factor and Elementary this year. I tried Nashville, Revolution, Vegas, Mob Doctor and Last Resort but didn’t care for any of them. A show pretty much has the draw me in almost immediately for me to keep watching past the 10 minute mark ;)

44 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 18, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I’ve got to watch Parenthood on Netflix. I’ve never watched it, but I keep thinking it’s something I would enjoy.

45 Annette @FitnessPerks October 18, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Holy crap! Thats a lot of TV shows. I watch Once Upon a Time, and I read lots. I usually lose interest in shows that are on b/c some of the acting is so bad or the plot is dumb.

I looove homemade soup! yumm.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Food Motivation

46 Hilary October 18, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Don’t you just love Bucky?! He’s a riot!

And I totally agree with you on the Office thing. It’s just not the same as Michael Scott.

By the way, your soup looks amazing! I’ve been craving some with my cold so I’m gonna have to make a batch this weekend! :)

47 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm

You’re not alone…I’m hooked on Married to Jonas as well. You’re the only one I’ll tell that to. ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Chunky Crockpot Applesauce

48 Dori October 18, 2012 at 7:50 pm

Oh! I forgot to tell you I LOVE Don’t Trust the B in Apt 23. Very clever and funny.

49 Kath October 18, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Love this post and I agree with some of your sentiments about Glee, the office, and Gossip Girl
Kath recently posted..Eyes Wide Shut

50 Sara@RunningInPinkProject October 18, 2012 at 9:12 pm

We watch loads of the same shows!!! You should give New Girl and Suburgatory a try! :)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Temptation Thy Name is Halloween Candy

51 Irina @ Chocolatea Time October 18, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Not gonna lie…I was reaaaallly hoping Elena would choose Damian over Stephan. Damian makes me swoon…yum. I had no idea Gossip Girl started up again! And it’s the last season?? Definitely overdue
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..Food & Future Races

52 Michelle October 18, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Revolution was picked up for a full season – so we will at least get SOME answers! I feel like each episode picks up a little more and I’m definitely getting hooked. The show runner is the guy who created Supernatural so I have high expectations (have you watched it on Netflix?? You must. Two words: Jensen Ackles).

We watch way too much TV – but I’ve also added Arrow, The Mindy Project (love her!), Elementary, and Go On (new Matthew Perry show that has consistently gotten better/funny each episode).
Michelle recently posted..Book Review: Diary of a Submissive

53 Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome October 18, 2012 at 10:56 pm

You’ve got a lot of shows to catch up on! I am so behind on watching T.V. I have Gulianna and Bill, Keeping up with the Kardashians (I know, horrible), Revolution, and Greys Anatomy that I need to watch. I need a couch marathon day but who knows when that will happen!
Giselle@ahealthyhappyhome recently posted..Three cool things

54 Annie October 18, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I am slightly addicted to Once Upon A time. I don’t have cable (I know! Crazy!) so I have to either go to my gym and watch it on their eliptical machine (not a bad way to get some exercise) or catch it on Hulu the next day.

I have been meaning to post about Once Upon A Time for awhile now. This season is crazy good!! Cora is such an awesome villain, you love to hate her! I really hope they don’t make me pity her, she is just too evil.

And Nashville is awesome too! I am also completely roped into New Girl. I watch it on Hulu constantly.

Great post!
Annie recently posted..Stay fueled and outsmart hunger #theproteineffect

55 Alexandra @ Alexandra in Moscow October 19, 2012 at 12:06 am

I can’t believe Elena is a vampire! It has been awhile since I watched the Vampire Diaries, but it was definitely one of my guilty pleasure tv shows. I may just have to get caught up now.

56 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 19, 2012 at 7:59 am

I watch Married to Jonas too! Fun fact, I actually went to school for 2 years with Danielle’s sister Dina. It’s so weird watching her on tv now!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A New Obessession!…

57 Caitlin October 19, 2012 at 11:42 am

I watched Nashville for the exact same reason- was bored and thought I’d check it out, not expecting to like it at all. Surprisingly I really like it and I think I’ll be adding it to my regular schedule. Others I have to watch are Glee, Parenthood, New Girl, Parks and Rec., The Mindy show, and Up All Night. I’ll catch a few others on Hulu, such as The New Normal, Animal Practice, and Go On.

58 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I’m loving Nashville too!! So glad Mrs. Coach Taylor is back on TV :)
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Life Lately

59 Tracy Parrish October 20, 2012 at 6:43 pm

My new obsession is Call the Midwife

60 M October 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

My bf has found some parallels with Revolution and Stephen King’s book The Stand. I agree that the characters back stories have made the show more interesting!

Other shows I love: modern family (MUST watch!!), Once upon a time (though I agree not quite as addicting as the first season), Revenge (though getting a little too ridiculously convulated), I loved Smash last season and hope they bring it back, New Girl, Glee (surprised by how well they’re doing this season as well), and The Office (simply watching bc I’m too invested in the show but it needs to end).