more ยป" />

A Walk

by Meghann on October 18, 2012

Good Morning!

I’m still feeling under the weather so Maddie and I enjoyed a long walk around the block this morning instead of going for a run. I’m trying to kick this cold in the butt as quickly as possible and walking just sounded so much more appealing when one can’t breathe out of her nose. ;)

We walked a solid two miles before looping back home. It felt good to just get out and move.

Thankfully my hunger returned this morning. I wasn’t hungry at all yesterday, but this morning I felt famished after our walk.

I made a bowl of protein oats with rolled oats, whey protein powder, milk, chia seeds, raisins, cinnamon, almond butter, and apple on top.

I’m also on my second cup of hot peppermint tea. I love to get the tea really hot and just breathe in the steam, there’s nothing better when you’r sick.

What makes you feel better when you’re sick? Ice cream? Hot tea? Chocolate? Leafy greens?

1 NYC Fit Girl October 18, 2012 at 9:55 am

I enjoy drinking hot tea when I am not feeling well! Try drinking some honey with hot water and lemon!

2 Michelle October 18, 2012 at 9:56 am

Hot tea (peppermint) usually makes me feel better. Ice cream doesn’t hurt either ;)

3 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 18, 2012 at 9:57 am

I enjoy a quick run, tea, blankets and hoodies, as much flannel as I can get my hands on, and chocolate (of course!! But chocolate is the solution to anything and everything!!).

4 Silvia @ skinny jeans food October 18, 2012 at 10:00 am

Home-made broth/chicken noodle soup! You can make the broth in the slow cooker on high for a few hours with some chicken on the bone, carrots, onion slices, and thyme and a bay leaf, and then the soup with the cooked shredded chicken, fresh carrots (the other will be too mushy), and the rest on the stovetop.

Feel better soon!

5 Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets October 18, 2012 at 10:01 am

I hope you feel better soon! I always do find walks to help!

6 Kim October 18, 2012 at 10:17 am

Laying on the couch with a new TV series on Netflix and a pack of Oreos with milk does the trick for me :)

Meghann – have you ever done a post about how your life has changed since you quit your old 9-5? This is something I’m always curious about with bloggers, how they made the transition, what they might have done differently, what was the moment that pushed you to go from 2 jobs to 1, etc. Mostly curious I guess because I’m working 2 jobs right now and like to learn from other people.

7 Meghann October 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I haven’t written a post like that, though there have been some requests for it. I’m not sure I’m ready to write it yet. Sometimes it’s awesome, sometimes it’s lonely, sometimes it takes a lot out of you, and sometimes there’s too fine of a line between “work” and “life” since it all seems to roll into one. I’m sure I’ll write it when I’m ready, but over a year later and I’m still wrapping my head around it. :)

8 Priscilla P October 18, 2012 at 10:18 am

Just when I’d gotten over being sick two weeks ago, I can feel it coming back! I’ve been drinking cup after cup of green tea with lemon, and I made some Japanese style porridge with egg for lunch. Anything warm to soothe my throat is always a plus!
Get well soon!

9 Yellow Haired Girl October 18, 2012 at 10:22 am

Sleeeeeeeep. And chicken noodle soup. But not from a bowl … it’s just so much more satisfactory out of a mug ;)

10 Sarah October 18, 2012 at 10:26 am

Ramen noodles chicken soup, hot tea and Ritz crackers always make me feel better when I don’t feel well.
Also a nice morning walk with my dog is always good for the sole. :)

11 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 18, 2012 at 11:01 am

Hot tea and dark chocolate! Both are necessary when I’m sick, along with cuddling up in my bed and watching tv shows or movies

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 18, 2012 at 11:05 am

I always go for anything hot when I’m sick. Lots of tea and lots of soups!

13 Simone October 18, 2012 at 11:24 am

To me there is nothing more comforting than toast with raw honey, whenever i’m sick its all I crave

14 Kaitlyn October 18, 2012 at 11:34 am

Nothing tastes better than soup and grilled cheese when I am sick.

15 Annette @FitnessPerks October 18, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Hot herbal tea with lemon & honey! Does the trick every time.

16 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 18, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I always take super steamy showers when I’m sick. They feel soooo good and after I’m ready for a nap (also perfect when sick). And I take a spoonful of honey to soothe my throat.

17 Meghann October 18, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Ditto on the steamy showers! Anything to clear up the sinuses!

18 Grace @ Grace Dishes October 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I hope you feel better soon! It feels like a lot of people are getting sick.

I like hot drinks, soup, a warm blanket and my favorite TV shows :) when I’m sick (and when I’m not …)

19 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 18, 2012 at 1:05 pm

There’s something about hot things–tea, soup, you name it–that seems to make feeling sick a little more bearable. Hope you’re feeling better, Meghann!

20 Renee October 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Hot tea…and cuddling up on the couch with a blanket. I also up my zinc (with a supplement) whenever I feel something coming on and it seems to lessen the severity of it. Just don’t take it on an empty stomach.

21 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer October 18, 2012 at 1:21 pm

My PJs, trash TV, and something warm always make me feel better :)

22 Lauren @YoungNester October 18, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Your breakfast looks delicious!

23 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 18, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Ice cream, a lot of TV, and not moving for a few days!

24 Cher @ Weddicted October 18, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Tea and rest! Plus, having someone there to take care of me seems to help :)

Hope you feel better soon.

25 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions October 18, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I’m all about the green tea when I’m feeling sick with a cold. Those and super-steamy showers are the best for reliving a sore throat/stuffiness, at least for me. If I’m sick with a stomach bug, however, the only thing I want is nothing. Or maybe to die. Haha. Not really, of course, but man. I am a pansy when it comes to stomach bugs.

26 Katie @ running4cupcakes October 18, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I am sure it is totally psychological from my childhood because whenever we were sick, we were made scrambled eggs and toast with lots of butter. I don’t think I ever eat that unless I am sick! And red gatorade. . . any other color is fine when I am working out but only red when I am sick!

27 April C. October 18, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I love hearing how others battle the sickness. I hope you feel better soon! I think it is the same thing that is going around since you sound like I do. I have been best friends with diet 7-up, saltines, sherbet, and orange juice. I normally eat loads of toast and bananas but have neither in the house and I don’t think the rest of the world needs to see my couch-head hair!

28 Hilary October 18, 2012 at 7:12 pm

What brand of peppermint tea do you drink?!