Wedding: The Stuff

by Meghann on October 17, 2012

It’s happening. I’ve officially started collecting “wedding stuff.”

That bag is just a small sample of what I have waiting for me back at my parents’ house. I’m ashamed to say my old bedroom has become wedding storage central. I think I was in denial about how much “stuff” there was to collect, but trust me it does start to add up after a while.

So what have I been collecting? Let me show you.

I found these burlap prints at an arts and craft fair when i was up in Boston back in August, and thought they were perfect for the reception.

I plan to frame both and have the “SMILE” next to the photo booth...

And place the “All you need is love… and a dog” at the guestbook table.

A good friend recently introduced me to the poem “How Falling in Love is Like Owning a Dog ” by Taylor Mali, which will be read at the ceremony. I think the print was meant to be. πŸ™‚

Snowflake lights!

Honestly, I wasn’t even going to do snowflake lights at first. The one ones I’ve seen have been cheesy and over the top, so we were going to stick with traditional twinkle lights and be done with it. Then I found these hanging at Ikea and knew I had to have them.

20120922_113645.jpg

They’re simple, understated, and not over-the-top. I think they’ll be perfect in the barn.

While I was at Ikea, these stars also caught my attention.

20120922_113536.jpg

So I brought two home.

We’re going to pair the duo with the paper snowflake lantern I bought MONTHS ago and hang them over the bar.

Let’s see. What else is there?

Oh, Oriental Trading is my friend.

I ordered some snowflake stamps to dress up brown paper bags for our dessert table favor bags

Screen shot 2012-10-17 at 11.58.25 AM.png

“Rustic” snowflakes for centerpieces

Screen shot 2012-10-17 at 11.58.44 AM.png

And chipboard snowflakes that we’re going to paint and use for the seating chart.

Screen shot 2012-10-17 at 11.58.54 AM.png

At my parents’ house I also have built up quite a collection of mason jars, burlap, various “rustic” frames, 36 in sparklers, and more!

I know this is just the beginning of the “wedding stuff,” and I’m sure we’re just going to keep adding on as we stumble upon things we need, but the fact that the collecting has started makes me so excited. We’re getting down to the wire here – eekkkk – and the more we collect, the more real my vision becomes!

Did you have a collection of “wedding stuff?” How big did it get? A single bag? An entire room? The full garage?

1 Dori October 17, 2012 at 1:35 pm

‘How Falling in Love is Like Owning a Dog’ was read at my brother and sister-in-law’s ceremony too! It’s so touching.
Dori recently posted..Blue Cross Blue Shield365 Program + VISA $500 Gift Card Giveaway

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Don’t feel ashamed or guilty!! At least not until the floor disappears and you have trouble navigating the room … (But I’m sure that won’t happen!)
I love how detailed you’re getting — all the little things are going to magnify to have an amazing effect, I’m certain!!
Getting down to the end of it now! You must be bubbling with excitement!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Shivers, Sweet Potato Fries, and Sunshine

3 Jessica October 17, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I’m not trying to be mean, at all, but don’t you think you might be overdoing the theme just a bit…? I understand some snowflakes, but it seems like they’re going to be everywhere!

4 Meghann October 17, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I promise they won’t be everywhere. πŸ™‚ We’ll have the lights wrapped around the polls, one or two of the “rustic” ones mixed with the center pieces, the seating chart, the faint stamp on the favor bags, and the cake topper. It sounds/looks like a lot when I list them all out, but once you’re in the space, it won’t feel like a ton.

5 Cher @ Weddicted October 21, 2012 at 12:18 am

Agreed! In a big barn (or any venue) you need to have quite a bit of touches that go with your “theme.” I think what you have will make sure that everything makes sense, without being over kill.
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Bouquet wrap inspiration

6 natalie @ will jog for food October 17, 2012 at 1:49 pm

My wedding stuff took up a good corner of my guest room. We got married in Mexico so we had a gift bag for each guest to bring with us… a beach bag, insulated cup, hangover kit, and some other goodies. Also had the chair covers and table runners. AND lots of maracas, we tied the seat assignments to them for each guest.
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Week 15 Preggo Update

7 Danielle October 17, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Very cute! I love how it’s all playing out! Can’t wait to see it all come January πŸ™‚

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm

oh my goodness, this is where I would need a wedding planner – all the decorating! I just don’t think I would think of everything! Haha I definitely didn’t think of all of these kinds of things!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Class Free Monday

9 Meghann October 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm

My aunt is my acting wedding planner, she has a lot of good ideas. πŸ™‚

10 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution October 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm

ORIENTAL TRADING! yes! Thanks, Meghann. Since you’re so far ahead of me in planning, I’m using these posts as a guide. My wedding is still 11 months away, and I’m already thinking I’m going to have to get a bigger house. Sigh.
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Wild Wednesday

11 Danielle October 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

My husband (fiance at the time) and I live in a 600 sq. foot apartment in Washington D.C. and we collected all of our wedding “stuff” in the apartment along with all of our regular stuff. Needless to say – it was CRAMPED. I ended up buying those huge plastic bins and organizing/storing everything in those so that it didn’t feel completely like our apartment was taken over. This ended up being an awesome idea because it made transferring everything to the wedding venue easy and we already had storage to bring it back in. Then after the wedding (in D.C.), my mom took everything that was left back to my childhood home and has it all stored in my bedroom there. Now that everything is gone (6 months post wedding) our apartment feels HUGE with all the space we have! πŸ™‚

12 Jody October 17, 2012 at 3:06 pm

We had Falling in Love is Like Owning a Dog read at our wedding and I loved it! We now have the poem framed in our house.

13 Casey October 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Sounds like it will be gorgeous and I’m impressed with your DIY ability! πŸ™‚

14 kirsten October 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm

the stuff definitely piles up! I had 3 big boxes full by the end.

15 Melissa October 17, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I am eagerly awaiting your wedding! I can’t wait to see how your theme plays out. I didn’t have a theme because, frankly, there’s nothing I’m giddy enough about to *do* a theme, ya know? I just wanted simple because I guess I’m not girly enough to do something like this! So I’m excited to see how you’ll execute it!

I love those stamps!

16 ash bear October 17, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I am so excited! πŸ™‚
ash bear recently posted..A Sunday at the Zoo

17 Sarah @ A Runners Heart October 18, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I LOVE all of your snowflake’s! And I love the All you need is Love and a Dog sign! I had 2 Rubbermaid containers full of stuff for my wedding. My mom and I did everything ourselves. Then Hurricane Rita hit us and we had to evacuate with it all! And my wedding dress! It was not fun! I was so worried that it would all get ruined, but we were able to save it all! πŸ™‚
Sarah @ A Runners Heart recently posted..The Great Pumpkin Virtual Race!

18 Katie October 18, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I have a fondness in my heart for that poem as well! It was read at our wedding ceremony too – my husband and I met at pet beach because of our dogs, so it definitely seemed right….
Katie recently posted..Dress it up, dress it down: leopard print

19 Becky October 19, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Yep, every bride has the “stuff” room. πŸ™‚ My parents’ guest room was turned into the holding place for all my stuff. Plus, my grandmother did all the decorations (flowers, etc) as well as the food at the reception, so she had her own room of “stuff”. πŸ™‚

20 Emily @ Relishments October 20, 2012 at 8:47 am

Taylor Mali is my favorite poet. I’ve seen him speak live and once chased him down in the Albany airport (good thing he’s a nice guy!). His poem “What Teachers Make” is my professional mantra.

In other news, I’m really enjoying your wedding posts. So fun to see your progress as the big day gets closer…
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..Twosday, Part 2

21 Cher @ Weddicted October 21, 2012 at 12:19 am

My “wedding stuff” filled my entire spare room (literally, all over the bed and the floor) and the closet in the spare room. There were also bits and pieces in our office and in the garage, lol. That’s what happens when you DIY a lot and don’t rent anything (ie: centerpiece holders, table numbers, etc.) In fact, I still have a fair amount of decor and I don’t know what to do with it all – I can’t part with it, yet!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Bouquet wrap inspiration