more ยป" />

Doggie Steps

by Meghann on October 17, 2012

Blah. I didn’t want to admit it, but I think I’m getting sick. I can’t breathe out of my nose, my head is pounding, and my throat is on fire. All I want to do is drink ice cold beverages and coat my lips with obscene amounts of chapstick to stop them from feeling so dry.

Who am I kidding. There’s no “thinking” about it – I’m sick.

We’re supposed to have a flip turn clinic at practice swim tonight, but I think I might have to bail in favor of resting. I’m pretty sure I may have pushed it a little too hard in my workout this morning, I’ve gone from just feeling a little sick, to feeling like total crap in a matter of hours. Yuck.

I think it’s time to re-stock up on the Vitamin C and Airborne, it’s officially cold season. :(

Even though I wasn’t terribly hungry, I reheated some of last night’s leftovers for lunch.

And paired it with some cool slices of cucumber.

I wish the whole meal had been cucumbers. They were so cool and refreshing, definitely made my throat feel a little better.

Doggie Stairs

I think our new bed may be a little too high for Maddie’s liking.

(side note: The old comforter is just temporary. We’re in the process of finding a comforter we both like that actually fits the bed. ;) )

Yesterday morning Maddie scared the crap out of me when she jumped off of the new bed and landed with a loud “thud” on the tile floor. (another note: we also plan to get a new rug too) For a minute there, I was afraid she broke her leg since she was just standing there in shock trying to figure out what just happened herself. I rushed over and all her limbs seemed to be in working order, but she definitely looked like she never wanted to repeat that experience again.

Since then Maddie hasn’t even attempted jumping off the bed (nor would I think about even letting her do it at this point). It’s way too high for her and even if she doesn’t break her leg now, I’m sure it would only lead to joint issues in the future.

So Derek and I have started researching doggie stairs for Maddie. (Yes, we’re turning into those dog owners – ain’t no shame.).

pet steps.jpg

image via Amazon

Does anyone have stairs for their dogs? Any brand you would recommend? Does your dog actually use them?

1 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 17, 2012 at 2:32 pm

being sick is the worst! i caught my first cold of the season last weekend and spent the entire weekend in a not-so-great mood. luckily i got over it pretty quickly – bad news is now i have to catch up on all of the work that i didn’t get to!

2 Merideth October 17, 2012 at 2:34 pm

My dog uses the steps to get to the top of the bed frame but is scared to jump the last bit from the stop of the stairs. I think he is afraid of falling down.

I have yet to get him to actually use the stairs to get down from the bed. I think that is a lost cause. My dog tends to stay in bed till one of us lifts him up and puts him on the ground. Can you say a little bit spoiled?

3 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 17, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I feel like workouts while sick can help you get better (if they’re light) but workouts when you MIGHT think you’re getting sick can be a disaster!! I hope you get better soon! (Nap, vitamin C, and perhaps a light jog later if you’re feeling up to it to help move the mucus!!)
As for the steps, my dog doesn’t need them, but I think they’re adorable and totally worth it for pet safety!! Actually a old friend of mine had a bed so high that when I went to visit, I would have liked stairs, so I can only imagine how poor little Maddie feels!

4 NYC Fit Girl October 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm

My roommate has doggie stairs for her bed and the dog uses them all the time! I think they are pretty common!

5 Sandy October 17, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I bought the same kind of stairs for my dog and she is afraid of them and will not use them! She freaks out if we try to help her get on them so now she sleeps under the bed most of the time. Hope you feel better soon as I have been battling the same thing this week and haven’t sleep good for the past couple of days.

6 shan October 17, 2012 at 2:46 pm

we have something similar to these –

my dog loves them and uses them all the time. i think that the softer foam versions are better and most come with a cover that’s washable. the plastic stairs might be a bit slippery/scary and the foam helps them with traction (especially is maddie is going down the stairs to a wood floor). good luck!

7 michelle October 17, 2012 at 2:49 pm

We purchased stairs when our cat was dealing with diabetic neuropathy. Although I don’t store them under the bed on a daily basis, it is nice to hide them away when expecting company.

8 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution October 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Two things. 1) Airborne doesn’t really work. It’s kind of a sham. Of course, I’m of the thinking that if you THINK it works, it’s the same as it actually working. But if you do want something that actually is proven to work, get Zicam instead. 2) If you have a sore throat, you MUST try Traditional Medicinals “Throat Coat” tea. It tastes so good without any sweetener and it makes your throat feel soo good.

Feel better!

9 jennyv October 17, 2012 at 4:32 pm
10 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution October 17, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Oh, I use the capsules that you put in your mouth and let them dissolve, but thanks!

11 Kelly October 17, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I’m pretty sure that variety was either discontinued or reformulated. Those that are sold now are safe. (I used to work for a company that worked with Zicam so I know all about it.) And yes, Zicam really does work. But the trick is you have to take it as soon as you notice symptoms for it to be most effective.

12 jennyv October 17, 2012 at 8:01 pm

The point is, there are side effects — and while it may be reformulated, it doesn’t mean that it is SAFE. I mean, the product that was on the market was supposedly ‘approved’ at one point. I say forget the meds, boost your immune system naturally and let nature take it’s course.

13 Em October 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm

When we had a high bed, we purchased an ottoman for our dog to use as a step up to the bed. I thought it looked nicer than the stairs and was all our dog needed. It took a bit of training with treats before she was comfortable with it though. If I had had more space, I would have purchased a bench to put at the foot of the bed instead. They make some with a storage bin so they look nice and multipurpose.

14 Jen October 17, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I really like this idea! It’s a way to give the dog a boost up without having an actual set of stairs in the room…plus if you used an ottoman, it’d be somewhere more comfortable to sit and put on shoes or something. And a storage bench is a great idea too.

15 Reenie October 17, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I was just going to suggest a chest at the end of the bed that is lower ~ so she can jump on it, then onto the bed. =)

16 Bridget October 17, 2012 at 2:59 pm

My mom had bought dog steps for her dog (shih tzu) when she got a new higher bed…the dog wouldnt use them. Then when we got our dog, she gave us the steps and my dog wont use them haha. Dont know what it is, we tried to train him to use htem with treats, etc, but nope. So if he wants up on the bed we just wait for him to put his paws up and basically ask to come up, and we just make sure he doesnt jump off. Thats more the concern, small dogs with long bodies and short legs can hurt their back from jumping off things too high.
However, when my mom had a surgery and physically wasn’t allowed to lift the dog for a while, she used a box…like an intermediate landing area that her dog could jump up on that and hten onto the bed. I think because it was a big sturdy area her dog felt more comfortable jumping on and off of it.

Long answer :) Good luck with the pup!

17 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 17, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I wish I had a dog but we are renting and its not allowed in our neighborhood! So I can’t chime in about the doggy stairs but they seem like a logical solution.

Feel better soon!

18 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 17, 2012 at 3:08 pm

dog stairs make me laugh because they remind me of all those infomercials! My family has never had to get them because we 1) have bigger dogs and 2) don’t allow dogs on the furniture (well, my parents didn’t but my brother’s dog definitely gets to get on all the furniture!). But it makes sense for Maddie!

I hope you feel better!!

19 Annette @FitnessPerks October 17, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Hope you feel better soon!!

20 Hemarie @ I Sweat Pretty October 17, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I had a nice little wooden stair case for my fat pug, who couldn’t jump very high. He never did quite figure out how to use them, which is okay because we decided no pets on the couch or bed in the end. If I want to cuddle with the pups I have to set up shop on the rug. ;)

21 Jessica October 17, 2012 at 3:21 pm

We got dog stairs for our rat terrier when she was a puppy. She never used them. We have a high bed too but she jumps on and off, no problem. We do have carpet in our bedroom though.

22 erica October 17, 2012 at 3:28 pm

we have stairs for our dog so he can get on and off the couch and the bed…we have the pet gear 2-step one. it’s the perfect height since our couch and bed are both pretty low to the ground and our dog is onlt 4 pounds. my mom has one for when our dog stays with her…i think she has the 3 or 4 step one for her bed…we love it! :)

23 Life's a Bowl October 17, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Haha I think I’m turning into one of “those” people too- there’s a deal on Groupon today for a dog beg [in the shape of a bone] that matches our bedroom furniture perfectly! I sent it to my husband and literally just broke out laughing… I think I’m gonna get it haha :P

24 Hilary October 17, 2012 at 3:39 pm

We have a bench for our dogs and it cuts the distance from the floor to the bed in half. We didn’t even have to train them to use it.

25 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 17, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Doggie stairs, ha! I have never heard of that. Just don’t put ‘em by the kitchen counter! Hope you feel better.

26 Rebecca October 17, 2012 at 3:50 pm

We have a bench at the end of our bed that is about half as tall as the bed that works great for our 16 yr old cat that has lost some of his oomph. Just another idea if you are looking for something that blends a little better than stairs. It’s nice and foamy yet firm enough to give him some spring.

27 Amber October 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm

We have 2 Jack Russells and 1 of them has a hard time getting onto our bed (which I think may just be an older version of the bed you got). I found a piano bench at Goodwill for $15 and refinished it and the dogs use it all the time. I wanted to fully upholster it, but didn’t want to commit to fabric that may not go well with new bedding we’ll get down the line. It’s a great place to sit & put on my running shoes too!

28 Ebernst October 17, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Go buy some Zinc! Its the best stuff ever! (Same as brand name zycam…only you can by the generic for cheaper!) I was turned on to zinc last year when I was getting sick before my half marathon and now love it! It helps shorten the duration of your cold by some magical biological awesomness!

29 Tabitha October 17, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I have a cute stool by the bed for my dog. It is a stool but looks like a small chest, that I can use as storage too. My doggy isn’t as small as Maddie, so I don’t need a set of steps, but I had to do something because she was struggling with a taller bed too.

30 Sarah October 17, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Sorry to hear you’re feeling under the weather! Here’s hoping for a quick recovery!

My Ripley uses stairs to get into and out of bed. I’ve always been leery of letting him jump onto the bare ground. Now that he’s an older chap he can choose between the stairs or just jumping on the way up. These days it’s almost always the stairs on the way down. I actually bought his because you can take the cover off and wash it which during rainy season in Portland is necessary! They’ve held up for over 7 years! http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3523560&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

31 Kathy October 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm

hahahha…I must admit…I like the idea of a tall bed so the animals cannot get on it. …I need one place of rest to call MINE!

(Shoot…the cats can get up on any thing though!)

Rest….better to nip the cold in the bud earlier than too late. ;-)

32 Kelly October 17, 2012 at 4:46 pm

In my old apartment I had bed raisers to make up for the fact I had so little space. My dog loved sleeping in the bed enough that he would still make the jump to get up there, although sometimes he would still choose to sleep on the floor. Guess it was more taxing to jump than I thought because now that my bed is a normal height again, he is always on the bed. I love both Bliss Living Home & Anthropologie for bed stuff, though they are both kind of pricey.

I’m also sure you’ve posted pictures before and I’ve never noticed it until now, but is tile in the bedroom a Florida/Southern thing? I’ve never seen that before.

33 Meghann October 18, 2012 at 8:59 am

Yes, the tiled bedroom (or entire house really) is a Florida thing. I didn’t realize it was odd until I started posting photos of my house online and had a lot of people comment on the fact. I guess I’m so used to it since it’s the norm here that I never thought any differently. It does make sense to tile the floors in FLorida because of the high humidity and heat the tiled floor keeps houses a little cooler.

34 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I looked into these stairs as well. Our bed is really high too. I remember the first time Harleyyybear jumped off I was scared to death! Now he is a jumping machine though. Hunter on the other hand can’t get on the bed. He is too short. So everytime he wants up we have to pick him up and then he jumps back down and then we pick him up… and its annoying haha.

35 Jamie J. October 17, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I’ve had success with the dog steps, but we do have an ottoman with storage inside at the foot of our bed and that works great. I think it looks great and I get an extra place to stash extra throws or pillows.

36 Rachel Wilkerson October 17, 2012 at 5:39 pm

We don’t let our dogs jump on our bed (and have a high bed for that reason) but my mom got stairs for our little dogs back home when they started to get older and couldn’t jump as easily. They are carpeted and look pretty nice in the room!

37 Sara@RunningInPinkProject October 17, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Good call on the stairs! It hurts their little hips to jump. I technically dont allow my dogs on the furniture BUT they know they are always welcome in my lap so this does mean a hop up on the bed for my pups to get to me before bed. Right now I just lift them up and put them down but we have discussed stairs. :)

38 BroccoliHut October 17, 2012 at 6:25 pm

This is so weird–I’m looking for doggie stairs too! Our new house that we’re moving into has a dog door (YES!), but it’s meant for a taller dog. So I need some stairs so that Marge can reach it. My mom recommended that I look at Orvis.com.

39 Em @ Yep. I Ate That. October 17, 2012 at 6:31 pm

your photos make your leftovers look better than most of my meals! Your poor dog; hopefully the stairs will alleviate your worries!

40 Kirstin @ Kirstin's Gone Racing October 17, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Ugh, getting sick SUCKS!

My dog (Stanley) uses his puppy stairs every day. He doesn’t really need them anymore (he did when he was a tiny puppy), and sometimes he just jumps up or down, but he’s part daschund, so it makes me feel better to know that he’s not hurting his back.

41 Kirstin @ Kirstin's Gone Racing October 17, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Also, we just bought the cheapy ones from PetsMart. There’s no shame in Doggie Stairs!

42 Laura October 17, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Poor Maddie! Hope you find a solution soon. I was interested to read comments on dog stairs. It’s not an issue for my dog yet, but he’s a dachshund mix, so I anticipate wanting to take even more caution than I already do as he gets older. I love the suggestions for a chest/bench/ottoman!

Hope you feel better soon! I’m loading up on Emergen-C, greens and aiming for extra sleep as a preventative.

43 Lauren @ Part Time House Wife October 17, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Our bed is crazy high too and we have a tiny lil pup that insists she’s meant to sleep under the covers with her head on MY pillow. Instead of the stairs we just have a leather ottomon bench at the foot and she can make the jump from that to the bed. It’s functional and isn’t obvious that we encourage our mongrel to hop in with us! ;-)

44 Jennifer L October 17, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I waited until today to admit I’m sick too…. wish I had admitted before my run, though… no one ever regrets a workout? The do when they’re sick! :(

Save your money on the Emergen-C… the Vitamin C thing is a myth that started way back when people had C deficiencies. Some sailors ate citrus fruits and felt better or something and thus the myth began, but it’s been disproved. Boo.

Hope you feel better!

45 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 17, 2012 at 9:42 pm

As soon as I saw the height of the bed, I was thinking “they need to get Maddie a staircase” – you were already on it. I should know better! ;)

46 Ashley Y October 17, 2012 at 11:58 pm

I used doggie stairs for one of my pugs. We used this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MD57OO/ref=wms_ohs_product

It worked very well and now that he seems to be better at jumping up and down, the stairs are folded up and easily stored in our guest room. I was worried that he wouldn’t use them, but he took to them right away. We just had to give him a little incentive the first time, and he used them constantly. Our other pug, who had no problem with jumping, showed absolutely no interest in the stairs, so we always knew who was coming up them.

47 Caitlin October 18, 2012 at 1:42 am

We have an ottoman at the foot of our bed that my dog uses to jump onto the bed – a little nicer than stairs, and works just as well. It’s similar to this: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/angelo-HOME-Kent-Filigree-Sky-Blue-Wall-Hugger-Trunk-Storage-Ottoman/6753122/product.html – also has storage in it, so it’s been really useful!

48 Leslie M October 18, 2012 at 8:24 am

Be so careful, my pug fell off the bed and broke his leg in 5 places, had to be amputated. We are no longer a dog in bed family, the risk is not worth it. They transitioned to comfy dog beds on the floor and it is safer. I love dog cuddles as much as everyone else but it was so tragic. Chug the pug does awesome with 3 legs but $5k later!

49 Meghann October 18, 2012 at 8:55 am

poor Chug. :( Thanks for the advice, that’s a good point to consider.

50 Katherine October 18, 2012 at 9:54 am

My parents have pup steps, and while I don’t know the brand, I do know that the little cuties definitely use them all the time!

51 Lauren October 18, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I have dog steps up to our bed for my two dachshunds. No, they are not the most attractive things in the world, but they do use them. We taught them to use the stairs by coaxing them up and down the stairs a few times with treats. After that they were good with them. My stairs came from the pet store.

52 Cristina October 19, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Our bed seems to be as high as yours. We do use doggie stairs for our two chihuahuas and they use them Going up but never down. It scares me so much when they jump off, but they seem so scared of the stairs on the way down that i feel bad forcing them to use them