Who are you?

by Meghann on October 16, 2012

My swim team and I all agree, it’s getting harder and harder to wake up early for swim practice in the morning. With the sun rising later and the water getting cooler, we’ve all been struggling to push ourselves out of bed. This morning was no exception, I was so close to bailing, but knew I had to get my swim workout in while I had team members there to push me.

Luckily the early morning practices won’t be around too much longer. Last night someone sent a group text out asking for a switch to early evening practices and there was an overwhelming response in agreement of the switch (including mine!). Out of the 6 of us at the pool this morning, I’d say 5 of us mentioned at one point or another how excited we were with the change. I’m usually not an afternoon workout person, but swimming later is something I could get myself of board with. Personally, I can’t wait until the switch. ;)

Practice this morning was good. We focused on shoulders again (with some butterfly drills) and did a lot of kicking (50 hard with the kick board followed by 50 hard freestyle = numb legs). I finished practice with some one-on-one coaching that concentrated on the pull of my stroke. Sometimes I feel like I’m being told the same thing over and over again, but for what ever reason what they’re saying isn’t clicking. I know what my pull is supposed to look like, but executing that pull is something I’m constantly struggling with. Some days I have it and some days I don’t. It’s frustrating, but the best I can do is try and try again. :/

After practice I made a pumpkin protein smoothie for breakfast.

PA160004.JPG

in the mix:

• ice
  • plain greek yogurt
  • vanilla whey protein
  • peanut butter
  • pumpkin spice
  • milk
  • pumpkin
  • honey

PA160008.jpg

So. Good. I went a little light on the canned pumpkin this time because I was afraid of overdoing it. Next time I won’t be so afraid and just go for it, the more pumpkin, the better. ;)

PA160013.JPG

We were discussing my recent CrossFit adventures before practice this morning when one of my teammates joked to not fall into the “CrossFit cult.” She was completely joking, of course, but the statement had me thinking. Is it just me or does there always seem to be some sort of friendly rivalry between one group of workout enthusiasts versus another?

You have the triathletes who train day and night for hours on end and bank miles every week, you have the runners who pride themselves on 4:00am runs and consuming as many carbs as humanly possible, you have the yogis who usually stay away from meat and meditate as often as they move, you have the gym rats who switch between spin class, body pump, and the elliptical, and you have CrossFit where they lift heavy things for 20 minutes at a time and eat like cavemen.

Please keep in mind those those are just my guesses of how one group sees the other. They are complete generalizations of stereotypes and not accurate by any means. This also doesn’t mean there isn’t crossover, trust me I’m the queen of crossover – I’m a equal opportunity workout enthusiast.

My point is, I find it amusing how in general one group likes to talk about the other behind their back. My teammates were poking fun at CrossFit this morning, just as my new friends at CrossFit were poking fun at me as a triathlete yesterday morning ( “You ran 9 miles for fun on Saturday? Why the heck would you do that when you could come here and knock out just as great of a workout in less than an hour?! I just don’t get runners.”)

I’ve seen it both ways and most of the time it’s just in good fun. The problem only comes when another group legitimately starts making the other group feel bad for doing what they love. That’s where I always draw the line. I can joke with the best of them, but I would NEVER tell someone that the workout they love to do (whether it be running, crossfit, swimming, or body pump) is a waste of time. Feeling good about yourself and getting out there and MOVING is never a waste of time.

In my opinion there are no right or wrong workouts. Don’t just start running because that’s what everyone else is doing and don’t dedicate your life to spin class if you hate spinning. Find the workout (or multiple workouts) that work for you and stick with it. And don’t ever let anyone make you feel ashamed about that.

My name is Meghann and I’m a runner and triathlete who occasionally enjoys doing yoga and recently started CrossFit. I’m an endurance cardio junkie who would rather run a marathon than a 5k.

Who are you?

1 Katie D. October 16, 2012 at 10:23 am

LOL! You are so right!

I zumba, run and do functional weight/resistence training (TRX, RIP, crazy circuits our instructor dreams up) and occassional home practice of yoga. My instructor for functional training rips on zumba as “easy” but it is no joke! Just like any other sport/workout, it is up to you to push yourself!

Thankfully my functional training instructor is a biking fanatic (trail and road races), so she does understand the endurance hype ;)

2 Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free October 16, 2012 at 10:26 am

I agree with you, people should do what works for them and makes them happy! My crossfit box actually has a lot of triathletes is it is not unusual to hear someone talking about cycling or swimming.

My name is Gabby and I’m a newish Crossfitter and lover of yoga who is addicted to lifting heavy things. I would rather pick up 200lbs or throw 100lbs over my head than run a mile, any day.

3 Sarah October 16, 2012 at 10:27 am

Oh I know what you mean! Honestly, everything I do kind of comes back to running. I do yoga to get a good stretch and because it’s cheaper than getting a massage. :P I weight train to gain strength so I can run faster and I swim/bike to give my legs a break from running haha. My name is Sarah and I’m running my second marathon this weekend and doing my first triathlon next summer. :)

4 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 16, 2012 at 10:35 am

Recently everything I do is to help my running. Sometimes I want to go faster, sometimes just further. Im not competitive with others yet but live beating my PRs. I could be dead last in a race but if I met my personal goal, I’m elated.

5 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride October 16, 2012 at 10:37 am

I really enjoyed this post, you’re so right! I actually recently found myself saying to someone not to fall into the crossfit cult, and yet during tri training I was doing 2 a days, I was up at 5:30am swimming in lakes and back to the gym for spin class at night. Before tri training I used to think people doing bricks were crazy. Point being, I’m glad you wrote this post, it did remind me to be more open-minded to crossfit.

In reality, as long as people are getting healthier and happier (without risking injury or doing it in an unhealthy way), I support them all the way!

6 Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} October 16, 2012 at 10:40 am

My name is Mackenzie and I am a runner, yogi, do anything to sweat once a day kinda girl with a serious baking addiction!

7 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution October 16, 2012 at 10:44 am

Hi! I’m Kristy, and I’m a runner who is obsessed with yoga, and dabbles in swimming and weight training. Pleased to meetcha.

8 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian October 16, 2012 at 10:47 am

Love it! I think that’s one of the reasons why I’m a little nervous to really try Crossfit. I don’t want to feel like I’m pressured to only do Crossfit and nothing else. I love running and racing, I want to keep doing it!

9 Charlie October 16, 2012 at 10:48 am

I am a running enthusiast, but I enjoy spending hours at the gym crosstraining, am a Body pump junkie but everything I do relates back to my running in some way or the other.

I’d love to do crossfit – but I’ll always love my running.

10 deva at deva by definition October 16, 2012 at 10:51 am

I am a runner and a lifter who loves being challenged in new ways. I hate when one workout group tries to make the others feel bad – I’m firmly of the opinion that you do what you love to do and what gets you moving. However, I think that crossover is healthy – I lift to be a stronger runner!

11 NYC Fit Girl October 16, 2012 at 10:53 am

My name is Megan and I am currently enjoying CrossFit 4 days a week and a run 2 days a week. I run races on the weekends and enjoy going to Crossfit during the week. This is what works for me and I am getting in amazing shape doing it :-) I don’t eat like a caveman; I eat real wholesome food!

12 Allie October 16, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’m a runner, sometimes cyclist, but not a triathlete because I’m a terrible swimmer (and have no interest in learning). I like lifting, but get bored with it after more than an hour, so I keep it short and sweet.

13 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 16, 2012 at 10:54 am

Ha- That is SOO true. I tend to want to be such a “brand loyal” type person that I want to stick with one thing but I’ve been realizing more and more that it really doesn’t matter as long as you are moving. CrossFit is awesome and has changed my life, but so did running. I enjoy a good Zumba class with friends every once in awhile and yoga is never a bad thing. Can’t we all just get along?!

14 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

My name is Natalie and I am a backcountry backpacker. I like to do yoga, workout on the treadmill, and sometimes do a little strength training if forced, but everything is done to keep me in shape for hiking. I would rather strap a 30lb pack to my back and climb mountains than run one mile :)

15 Coco October 16, 2012 at 11:04 am

I am an athlete! I totally agree with you.. if your moving it can’t be wrong! I don’t put a label on myself.. honestly I’m just interested in too many things.. Yoga, weightlifting, running, swimming, slacklining, at home crossfitter, etc. For me, all of these and other areas of fitness are things for me to work towards :)

16 Jamie October 16, 2012 at 11:10 am

I have definitely fallen into the crossfit “cult” – and never been happier in my life :) I still run and spin occasionally, and no one at crossfit pressures me to only do crossfit by any means, but it’s what I LOVE and would rather be doing that over anything else!

17 Amanda October 16, 2012 at 11:18 am

Depending on the season and how I am feeling, I am a runner, yogi, and/or gym rat who loves spin and body pump. I basically choose my workout based on my mood and hate to do the same thing two days in a row! Gotta keep it interesting and keep the body guessing :)

18 Steph October 16, 2012 at 11:24 am

My name is Steph and I’m an athlete newbie who likes 5ks, triathlons, swimming and trying new workouts to mix things up!

19 Army Amy* October 16, 2012 at 11:25 am

I’m really impressed by how many people love multiple sports. I’m a straight up runner who lacks the coordination to do anything else.*

20 Megan October 16, 2012 at 11:27 am

Just to clear the “crossfit cult” theory that tends to scare people away.. When I joined crossfit people said the same thing to me. .i was like no way I’m still going to take my spin classes and run.. now I CF 4x a week and run maybe 1 day a week. CrossFit is designed so every day is different- I need that now. I can’t structure my own lifting workouts [too confusing!]. I like that I walk in the door and someone tells me what to do and I get the best workout in under an hour. I also used to be afraid of weights [i'll get bulky!]… now I can’t wait to deadlift my body weight or throw 100 pounds over my head. Something about the community and coaches are crossfit motivate me so much to push myself farther. There’s nobody telling me “you have to come here every day.. quit your other gym, eat paleo, etc”..I literally look forward to CF every night. Hate that people who don’t CF think it has a “cult” mentality. I tell everyone to try it at least twice.

21 Jamie October 16, 2012 at 1:04 pm

AGREED! So funny, when I first joined I told everyone at crossfit, “no I still love my other gym, I’m still gonna go there too, blah blah”….after my first week at crossfit I never went back to my old globo gym. Haha.

22 Carolina @ Peas in a Blog October 16, 2012 at 11:27 am

I’m Carolina, a runner turned yogi who loves to throw in CrossFit workouts. I go through stages where all I do is one of the 3 things mentioned above. A few months ago it was CrossFit all the time, now I’m in a yoga mood. I like to allow myself the flexibility to do what I crave & enjoy!

23 Annette @FitnessPerks October 16, 2012 at 11:38 am

Love this! It’s so true–moving in any form is the best.

I am Annette, a fitness instructor who is obsessed with teaching BodyPUMP, Zumba, and Core classes. And who enjoys running, triathlons, lifting heavy weights, dancing, and half marathons. And who occasionally busts out a yoga class or foam rolling stint. I guess I love almost all of it?! :)

24 Danielle Dillard October 16, 2012 at 11:39 am

I’m Danielle. I have never crossfitted, but I will probably try it out one day. I love going to outdoor boot camp (which is crossfit-style workouts without the heavy weights), fit yoga in once a week, and do my best to run two to three times a week (hah, in a perfect week). I LOVE mixing it up and I get bored easily, hence why I mix it up so often. I can also see another triathlon in my future, I’m just not sure when!

25 Colleen October 16, 2012 at 11:46 am

I am Colleen, a swimmer at heart (but haven’t lapped swam in 6 years), a short distance runner since college, a past basketball/volleyball player, and a mom who is is trying to show my kids how to stay movin’ and healthy (shooting hoops in the backyard, doing push-ups ad planks in front of them, walking or riding bikes to the park instead of driving, playing flag/touch football, playing tennis or yard games, etc.) . I’ve tried yoga and can only go 5-10 minutes before I get bored. I’ve tried weightlifting and get discouraged on perfecting the form and getting bored with it.

26 Melissa October 16, 2012 at 11:48 am

Wow, that was a rude comment by that Cross fit person. If someone said that to me, I know I’d end up feeling bad about myself because someone has the nerve to judge me. I’m mad that he had the nerve to say that to you!!! ugh. I hate the Cross Fit “cult” — and trust me, it’s a real thing.

It was refreshing to read this. When I read that you were going to try out CF, I assumed that you’d turn into a groupie, just like everyone else. Looks like I was wrong!

As for me? I’m a get in-get out gym person. I do my hour of cardio and get the heck out of there and then I don’t think about it the rest of the day. I don’t have time to judge other people’s workouts like these Cross Fit nuts do. Frankly, I have too much going on in my life to worry about other people’s workouts!

I won’t try Cross Fit simply because due to my job, I HAVE to workout at 5am and it needs to be within close distance to my house.

IMO, I’d much rather run 9 miles than do a cross fit workout. It’s called a runner’s high for a reason!

27 Meghann October 16, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I wouldn’t say he was rude exactly. He said it in a very joking tone and to be honest it’s not the first time I’ve heard it – not necessarily from someone at CrossFit, but from people from all walks of life. I’m at the point where I just let it roll off my shoulders. I love running and no one is every going to make me feel bad about that fact. :)

28 Kelly October 16, 2012 at 11:48 am

I guess I’ve never noticed the rivalry between different kinds of workout enthusiasts, but then again, I wouldn’t consider myself an enthusiast in any one thing. I like dabbling in different things and switching it up.

That said, I get why people would label crossfit a cult. I think it’s whatever happens when one thing becomes really, really popular. (P90X is another one that comes to mind.) I get that it’s more than a workout, it’s a lifestyle. I think it’s more that these days, it feels like everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. It’s not a bad thing, I think people should explore whatever feels right to them but I will admit that sometimes I get sick of hearing about it. Because I do know some people who manage to find a way to work crossfit into almost every conversation. Granted, I would venture to guess most crossfitters are not like this, but since these people tend to be the loudest, they stick out the most.

I’m all about people finding the lifestyle that works for them, I just don’t need to hear about it (no matter what it is) constantly.

29 Dori October 16, 2012 at 11:54 am

I think people just love their own workout so much (which is an amazing thing in itself) that they get really passionate and can be rude without meaning to be. People do tend to think their own workout is the bets – myself included. I try to get everyone I know to my favorite class because I want them to love it as much as I do! And it is OK to change your mind and decide a workout no is no longer right for you! To answer your question, I am a Refine Method junkie who also happens to be addicted to road races. Sometimes they conflict and I feel torn about what workout to do, but for the most part it is a nice balance!

30 jennyv October 16, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I think this is well said. People who fall into something that they love intensely don’t necessarily mean anything negative about other ways of exercising — but sometimes they really struggle to see how someone could enjoy something else so much!

My husband, for example, LOVES CrossFit. I go every other week or so (friends own the box) and it’s okay — not something I love , but definitely a good workout and something fun to change up my workouts. On the other hand, I REALLY love to run and push my body that way. I’ve run some half-marathons and a full and lots of road races… and I just love the way that challenges me. My husband thinks running is absolutely crazy ;)

31 Glenneth October 16, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Hi, I’m Glenneth – a walker and a cyclist who enjoys lifting weights! I love walking 5Ks and just got into spinning.

32 Heather October 16, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I completely understand this. Most people just think I am crazy in general because I enjoy running long distances.

I am definitely a cardio endurance junky that strength trains (occasionally) because I know I have to. I would much rather put in 10 miles than spend a half hour strength training.

I also only do yoga because it forces me to stretch…another thing I am terrible about.

33 Yellow Haired Girl October 16, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Excellent post!!!!

I’m YHG and I like to mix it up everyday. I run or lift weights or go to yoga or go to spin. I’m toying with the idea of starting swimming! I have exercise A.D.D. ;)

34 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 16, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I used to be a rower — and it totally defined me. Same with weight-lifting. And again, the pattern continues now that I’m a runner. I think that it has to do with (1) feeling as though you belong to a community (BIG deal — having others understand who you are, fundamentally), and (2) showing your commitment and devotion to your sport. I agree, I don’t think that any one sport is better than any other (in fact, I’m probably THE biggest fan of cross-training and getting the best of all worlds), but I do think that it has to do with your definition and not only how you perceive yourself as an athlete, but how you want to present yourself as an athlete to others. Great topic!!
Ps. Have you done video sessions with your coach? I find that those have really helped me with technique in the past. Just a thought. :)

35 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 16, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I’ve been having a really tough time waking up at my usual time. It must be the weather and the fact that the sun doesn’t rise as early.

Who am I? I’m Carrie, a runner, triathlete, and occasional yogi. (Now that it’s triathlon off-season, I’m making more time for my mat.) I also enjoy cycling, swimming, and indoor spinning, and I imagine I would like CrossFit (but I’ve never tried it). It’s funny how one group of athletes sees the other. At my first triathlon club training session, I felt like a total poser; sure, I could run, but could I run after swimming and biking? And now that I’m back to practicing yoga, I feel like the token runner/triathlete/non-yogi in the class, lol.

36 Leanne @ The Skinny Architect October 16, 2012 at 12:23 pm

My name is Leanne and I’m addictited to Zumba.

Before I moved I used to attend Zumba classes 5 days a week. Zumba has helped me in so many aspects of fitness, but I realized that wasn’t very balanced. I then started getting more serious about running and yoga. My next step is to incorporate weight training. I am very much in favor of a well rounded workout, however that happens.

37 AmyD October 16, 2012 at 12:36 pm

My name is Amy and I’m a marathoner, triathlete, and recently started yoga and CrossFit. I’m also trying to eat cleaner – less processed stuff. Great post!

38 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 16, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I’m an endurance junkie too, my marathon was by far my favorite race and surprisingly the only distance I didn’t feel like I wanted to die for the last couple miles.

39 Lauren October 16, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Girl, I couldn’t agree more or have said it better myself!! I hate that there is such a conformation of these workout fads. I wish everyone could just do what they love and what is right for them.

40 Lindsay October 16, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Haha! Your descriptions of each workout “type” made me laugh! My name is Lindsay and I’m a runner, kettlebell junkie, less-than-enthusiastic weight lifter, and retired spinner. I think that about covers it! :)

41 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 16, 2012 at 12:52 pm

It is interesting to see the tension/competition between groups of different exercisers…shouldn’t we all just be proud of how active we are?

I’m a runner-turned-heavy-lifter who enjoys the occasional bout of yoga and who would rather run intervals for 20 minutes than run at a steady pace for an hour.

42 amyt October 16, 2012 at 12:55 pm

love this post!! My passion is lifting…it is SO addicting to me!!! I just absolutely love it – I’m in the best shape of my life. I’ve never been into cardio – just not my thing. I actually envy runners…I want to run, I want to love to run…..it’s just not my thing. I do actually want to try one of the Mud runs….that, I think I could do ;-)

43 Laura October 16, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I definitely think we should all celebrate the effort we all put in! I am so impressed by Crossfitters and marathoners. You can’t take away from people doing things that are that amazing!

44 Katie @ A Full Plate October 16, 2012 at 12:58 pm

My name is Katie and I love all types of fitness, but mostly the kinds that leave me pouring sweat and feeling accomplished. I’m a CrossFit newbie, who likes to run and do yoga every now and then.

I think it’s healthy to cross train and get a good mix of different exercises to keep your body guessing :)

45 Katie October 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Awesome post! I’ve heard about the CF cult and was intersted in what the big bruhaha was so I went and tried it out. So……

I’m Katie. I’m a CF newbie, mom of 6 year-old twin boys, and a lover of red wine!!

46 kim@hungryhealthygirl October 16, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I so agree with you! Running is definitely my go-to workout, but I enjoy so much more. I personally think it’s really best if you can vary what you do, not only for your body, but your mind. Even though, I enjoy running it would be boring (to me) to do everyday with no other workouts.

47 Katie @ Meet Me At The Finishline October 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Vegan, gluten free, Ashtanga yoga and ultramarathon runner! I think it’s funny because I definitely fall into the hippie activities and am definitely a hippie. I think in a lot of ways I do have the stereotypes of these disciplines. But yes I do see the disparities between groups.. LOL I always joke I know a road runner from a true trail runner. I liked CF but it was too hard on my body with the amount of miles I run :/ Sounds like it’s fun for you though!

48 Anna October 16, 2012 at 1:47 pm

In Hungary the water is warmer (seriously!) In the winter it`s great when there is fog on the water outside at the pool because it`s thermal (?) water. That`s also the reason why in swimming competitions foreign professionals are always having a harder time here.

My name is Anna, I am a runner (so excited to say this). Occasionally I do cross and strength training and I one day I might even try a tri.

49 Simone October 16, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Agreed! I run, hike, walk, lift weights, play soccer,play softball…

50 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 16, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I think that when people find one thing they love and that works for them, it’s so hard to understand why anyone would do something different, ya know? I kind of get it. I actually don’t know my place in the fitness world yet. I really like to run, but know that I could push myself harder. I love yoga and practice often, although I wish I took it more seriously. And I love circuit training/plyometrics but I don’t do it very often and it’s usually me just making up the workouts. I have to say, I am not a huge fan of group exercises. I’m a social person, so I have no idea why??

51 Heather Wilson October 16, 2012 at 2:09 pm

That pumpkin smoothie sounds amazing! I am going to try this! thanks so much for sharing!

52 Marie October 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

My name is Marie. I’m Czech. I’m a slow runner and running mother. I run, I’m better.

53 Melissa October 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I hear ya! I used to do ballet ALL the time and if someone mentioned running I’d shiver and say no way, I hate running. Now I’ve run 4 half marathons, have 2 on the books and just signed up for the LA Marathon! I’ve also done Insanity workouts and am going to start CrossFit next week! (We’ll see how CrossFit goes with marathon training…)

54 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions October 16, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Man, it drives me crazy when people get all my-way-or-the-highway about fitness. Fitness is fitness, y’all! I don’t care if you live and breathe something I would never consider trying — I care that you care enough about your body to take time out of your day to exercise.

My name is Bethany, and I’m a runner with a firm belief in the importance of mixing up workouts through cross training :)

55 meghan October 16, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Although not exactly the same, I’ve been having a debate with myself on whether I’d rather lean my blog to style or running, or whether I really have to give up either. I actually posted about it today. But I’m definitely a runner who loves gym classes and spinning who occasionally dapples in yoga.

56 Jennifer October 16, 2012 at 5:00 pm

I am a wife, mother, health care professional and so much more. I exercise and stay active for my own mental and physical health. Workouts do not define who I am.

57 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 16, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I love this!

I am a running, circuit training, yoga doing, balanced eater who strives for overall health and wellness.

58 Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! October 16, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I love this! With the media and all these new health studies and things, so many get carried away with doing the “right” form of exercise or eating the “right” way – but there is no ONE way for all of us, because we are not all the same.

Even one person can change – a year ago I was all about the short, intense strength training workouts, and weight lifting. Now my days are mostly filled with running and yoga, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

59 Kristen October 16, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I recently switched up my workout routine from an outdoor bootcamp (strength and cardio) to a boxing gym. My bootcamp trainer was giving me crap for switching over but I think he’s just jealous that I get to have fun hitting heavy bags :-). I figure you do what works for you and your body- no one gets to comment or look down on that. My body does not like running (horrible shin splints no matter what I try) and my mind cannot calm down enough to get behind yoga…but I can hit a heavy bag and hang out with crazy ripped dudes in a boxing gym so I’m just going with it.

PS. I want that smoothie… mmm pumpkin!

60 Sarah October 16, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I’m the same way as you; I do my own thing, and while I can’t fathom doing other sports/fitness activities, I can appreciate that they’re out there moving. I may never understand runners (running for 26.2 miles just because? Must be crazy!), but as long as they love it then why shouldn’t they do what they love?

I used to be a gym person, going to spin classes and lifting, but then I found Beachbody and never looked back. I’ve done P90X, Insanity, and am now taking on Insanity: The Asylum. I love how these workouts are more functional fitness, crazy hard for home workouts, and costs me only a one-time fee. Beachbody is a ‘cult’ of sorts in its own way. Even though everyone works out in their own home, the forum provides a place for us to meet up and give advice.

So, my name is Sarah. I am a member of Team Beachbody who loves to challenge herself with forms of functional fitness. I am not an athlete, but I work out like one!

61 Jaime October 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm

What a great post! I think it is easy to slip into the mindset that one type of exercise is better/more beneficial than xyz. I think as long as you are active and enjoying what you are doing, you are a winner!

My name is Jaime, and I LOVE strength training, Bar Metho, pilates and yoga. I tried to be a runner, but my IT band just didn’t cooperate… I quit fighting that and embraced what my body seems to WANT to do.

62 Jaime October 16, 2012 at 7:09 pm

*Bar Method, rather. :)

63 Sara@RunningInPinkProject October 16, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I enjoyed this post. I think its really important to just do what you love…

Im Sara and I am a meat eating Bikram yoga addict, wanna be runner, and dance enthusiast who desperately needs to learn about strength/weight training. :)

64 Kristina October 16, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I only know one person who is “into” crossfit, so I base much of my opinion of that activity on her and her attitude, and what does bother me about her is that she thinks that crossfit will help her get in shape for endurance events. She trained for a half-iron distance triathlon and didn’t put the time or effort into training for those three sports, and it definitely showed in her time. Now she is talking about training for a full iron distance, using – you guessed it – mainly crossfit. Also, she frequently is injured because of crossfit. I know that injuries happen frequently in running, cycling and swimming, but I question the competitive nature – to write your scores on a board, to push yourself more and more and more, and there is a lack of attention to form.

65 Steph @ 321delish October 16, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Is it possible to have a chip on your shoulder for someone else? I think that’s part of where I’m coming from. Several years ago (3, maybe 4 years ago) a friend started doing cross fit. He’s military and was really into it, and was really excited about the health benefits associated with it (he started talking about Paleo before I even know what it was). I feel like it has become uber trendy and corporatized, and companies are just banking on people joining the latest fitness craze.

To each his own, and I’m totally not hatin on anyone’s choice of exercise- heck, I’m glad people are getting their sweat on! I guess I sort of equate it to the TaeBo craze or something like that. Maybe I just don’t know enough about it. And maybe it isn’t a trend, and it will be around for a long time to come…

66 Sara @my less serious life October 17, 2012 at 6:35 am

i really appreciate this post!

67 Lydia October 17, 2012 at 11:47 am

I love this post and couldn’t agree with you more. Not every workout or activity is going to work for everyone and we should all encourage any type of activity that works for someone else that is causing them to move and be active – especially when they love doing it! I hear the “bashing” all the time from different groups that I work out with and it gets annoying.

My name is Lydia and I am a runner, Crossfitter, and occasional triathlete who is terrible at Zumba but can still shake it for fun and who knows I need yoga and Pilates but never make time for it!

68 Emily N October 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I just feel like that is a tricky thing. My Crossfit experience has taught me that lifting is where my true heart and soul really lies, but I like to run marathons for the accomplishment. Where to find the middle ground? I guess I will experiment to figure that out…