more ยป" />

Pinstrosity

by Meghann on October 16, 2012

There’s a great blog out there called Pinstrosity. I love it because not only does it feature great pinterest disasters, but it also offers advice on how prevent those disasters from happening in the future. My favorite post involves this famous pin:

cookie cup.jpeg

And what usually ends up happening when people try to copy that pin.

Pinstrosity Ice Cream Cookie Bowls.JPG

(check out more disasters HERE).

Most pinners see the pin (without clicking through for directions) and assume the concept is as easy as using chocolate chip cookie dough to make the shells. Turns out it’s not that simple. The shells are actually made using a stiff SUGAR cookie sugar dough that tends to hold its shape a little more during the baking process.

When you follow the directions, the shells do work.

Pinstrosity Ice Cream Cookie Bowls 4.JPG

Funny what happens when you follow directions. ;)

Of course, sometimes disasters happen even when the directions are followed (or attempted to be followed).

I found this pin for 5 Ingredient Breakfast Stuffed Acorn Squash the other week and had big plans for it for dinner tonight.

breakfast-stuffed-acorn1-610x300.jpg

That is, until I accidentally set the oven too high and burned the acorn squash.

PA160008.JPG

#Fail

Unfortunately at that point the squash was way too soft to hold its shape and there was no way either half was going to survive another trip in the oven. So I did another thing Pinstrosity recommends when a pin doesn’t go as planned, I made it my own.

PA160018.JPG

And you know what? I think I may like my version better. ;)

The original recipe called for breakfast sausage, but I decided to go a different route even before I burnt the acorn squash.

I started with sweet peppers, garlic, and onion.

PA160004.JPG

Then added ground chicken, fennel seed, dried sage, salt, and pepper to the pan. (the fennel and sage give the ground chicken a sausage flavor)

PA160010.JPG

This is the point where I would have added the “sausage” to the acorn squash, but since that wasn’t happening I added the squash to the sausage instead.

PA160012.JPG

Once everything was combined and nice and hot, I flattened everything in the pan and cracked three eggs on top.

PA160014.JPG

The pan went in the oven at 375 for 15 minutes.

PA160016.JPG

Voila!

PA160020.JPG

Not exactly what I originally had in mind for dinner (granted the original pin is way prettier of a photo ;) ), but it worked, almost like a sausage/squash/egg casserole. I’d make it again in a heartbeat.

PA160024.JPG

Have you ever had a “Pinstrosity”? What happened?

1 Allison October 16, 2012 at 10:19 pm

So many times. Pinterest is like a drug to me. I spend so much time on there even though its bad for me. I made this cake from there, and online it looked beautiful. Everyone said it was so yummy and so easy.

5 hours later, I was still working on the cake, my kitchen was a disaster, and the cake ended up being hard as a brick!

2 AmyD October 16, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Check out Pintester too. Hilarious!

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 16, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I love the idea of those cookie bowls and it would totally be me to not read the directions and end up with that disaster. The most I’ve really tried on Pinterest has been hairstyles that I just can’t get to work. Honestly though, I blame the fact that I don’t know how to do anything with my hair other than wear it down and mega curly to make it look good (even pony tails are often a wash-HA!)

4 Steph October 16, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Love Pintrosity! Love her snarky remarks. So funny!
I have so. many. things. pinned, but have never actually attempted to make anything. Now I’m curious to start seeing if I can recreate the things I’ve pinned!

5 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 16, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Ha I’ve had a few pintrosities, some my fault, some I blame on Pinterest. Looks like you salvaged this meal though!

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 16, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I have seen that site, it’s pretty funny! I’m not a good cook or very crafty so I think if i tried out things from pinterest a lot I’d my attempts would make that site

7 Stephanie October 16, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I tried to make rainbow pinwheel cookies (similar to Dr. Seuss’ “Oh the Places You’ll Go” design) and they just looked like tie-dye mush. Definitely a contender for Pintrosity. But at least they tasted good!

8 Lauren October 16, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I was at Trader Joes yesterday and was tempted to buy an acorn squash but had no idea what to do with it. I ended up with spaghetti and butternut instead. I may try a similar recipe with the butternut- just adding some spinach. But now I definitely want to try acorn. Hopefully my creation will not be a pinstrosity!

9 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Ugly food is the best!! Ditto to improvisations that come out better than the originals! I’m glad you went for it!!
As my grandpa would say, it all goes down the same way anyway!! No use crying over spilled milk/bungled recipes. :)

10 Simone October 17, 2012 at 1:14 am

I have had quite a few… mainly because I see the pin and suddenly believe i’m crafty and then quickly realize i’m not and loose interest/motivation to do it right… I just don’t have the patients to follow instructions

11 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 17, 2012 at 8:13 am

I love acorn squash! I’m actually a squash fan in general. It’s so good this time of year. I think your dinner looks great.

12 Lauren October 17, 2012 at 8:35 am

Pinterest always makes everything look too easy. :)

13 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution October 17, 2012 at 8:59 am

That’s a lot like my go-to weekend breakfast. I cook potatoes, peppers and onions on the stove in my cast iron skillet, sprinkle some cheese on top, crack a few eggs on top and pop it in the oven. It’s so easy and quick, and Zach loves it. I’ll have to add some squash next time!!

14 Em October 17, 2012 at 9:13 am
15 Megan October 17, 2012 at 9:18 am

That PaleOMG recipe looked so good [Juli's recipes never fail me]! I do like your version too! I have an acorn squash ready to be used.. might have to do a hybrid!

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 17, 2012 at 9:24 am

The second attempt at dinner looks wonderful! I’ve never tried acorn squash. I need to give it a try!

17 deva by definition October 17, 2012 at 9:27 am

that sounds like a yummy dinner. Sadly, I have yet to develop a love for squash – it’s very stringy to me, even when cooked soft!

I haven’t had a pinstrosity yet but I don’t do a lot of cooking from pinterest. Normally I see something that sounds good and then make it my own regardless.

18 Becky @ runfundone October 17, 2012 at 9:52 am

I’ve never heard of Pintrosity. I have been to pinterestyouaredrunk.com, which just makes fun of bad ideas.

19 Jamie October 17, 2012 at 10:08 am

I love Pinstrosity! I tried the “egg in avocado half” recipe. Cut an avocado in half, remove the pit, crack an egg in the hole, bake it for 20 minutes, delicious snack. Seems easy, right? Well my eggs were too big and barely stayed in the avocado! Luckily I had this setup in an oven safe bowl so my baking pan wasn’t covered in egg. It turned out pretty good, but not very appealing. Lesson learned!

20 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 17, 2012 at 11:28 am

Ooo, neat blog–I’ll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing, Meghann!

21 Chelsea @ Designs on Dinner October 17, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I tried to make Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies from a Pinterest recipe last weekend and had a Pinstrosity. The dough was so tacky! I added more flour, then let it sit in the refrigerator overnight, and ended up turning it into a cookie bar by using half the dough as a base, covering it with caramels, and topping it with the rest of the cookie dough. My family still loved them, but they definitely were not what I hoped for!

22 Life's a Bowl October 17, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I’m slightly obsessed with Pinterest but now my go-to may become Pintrosity [too funny]! P.S. I have an acorn squash that I have nooo clueee what to do with [first time cooking a whole one] and your “disaster” dinner looks delic, I may have to copy ;)

23 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I just clicked through the cookie bowl thing and that is hilarious! Crazy how that works – you follow directions, it turns out how it’s supposed to. Craziness.

I use recipes I’ve found on pinterest, but only 1 craft. I’m not a crafty person anyways, so even if the directions are perfect I know I’ll mess them up.

24 Pinstrosity October 17, 2012 at 5:06 pm

We’re so glad you found us! Thanks for the plug with the blog. Your dinner looks fantastic, awesome job on making it your own. I want to try both the original version and your version now, they look delicious!

25 Roughly A Runner October 17, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I credit Pinterest with one of the simplest food ideas ever- roasted cabbage. Cut a cabbage into quarters, sprinkle with olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper and roast. If you like cabbage, this is like crack. Its so good.