more ยป" />

Something new in the kitchen

by Meghann on October 15, 2012

Man, I love me some left over split pea soup, but it does not make for a pretty photo.

PA150011.JPG

Eh. What can you do?

I defrosted a bowl of last week’s split pea soup for lunch today. I also added some chopped ham to bulk it up a bit and sprinkled with some walnut pieces to give it a bit of crunch.

PA150012.JPG

mmm…mmm… good.

I’m trying something new for dinner tonight….

PA150016.JPG PA150017.JPG PA150020.JPG PA150023.JPG

Has anyone tried a rotisserie chicken in the crock pot before? This recipe was a Pinterest find and I’m crossing my fingers it turns out. So far, so good. The house smells AMAZING and the chicken looks like it’s starting to sweat. I’ll take that as a good sign. :)

Have you tried anything new in the kitchen lately? Share in the comments below!

1 Lindsay October 15, 2012 at 2:44 pm

When in doubt…don’t post the picture! :-)

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 15, 2012 at 2:48 pm

‘i had pea soup for lunch too! Wish I’d had some ham to add to it as well, that sounds great!

3 Kathy October 15, 2012 at 2:51 pm

At first glance I thought it was some thing with pumpkin….I like to see the pictures no matter what they look like. ;-)

Another blog listed a bunch of different “best chocolate chip cookie ever” recipes….I picked one and I am trying it right now…may post it later this week if they REALLY ARE THE BEST EVER! ha!

4 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 15, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Not yet, but going to be attempting rice pudding (using chia seeds) for the first time in the next couple of days! Fingers crossed!! I’m not much of a kitchen magician, so this is going to be a fun endeavour.

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 15, 2012 at 3:10 pm

That’s a great idea! I can’t wait to see how it turns out. Last night I made some wonderful Italian Turkey Meatballs in the crockpot. They turned out great!

6 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer October 15, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I made the Tie Dye Cake I keep seeing on Pinterest all the time couple weekends ago. It looked pretty cool. I’m interested in seeing how the chicken turns out.

7 Katie October 15, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I LOVE doing chicken that way! I found it on Pinterest too and tried it out and it was amazing. The only thing I did wrong was try to take the chicken out of the crock pot when it was done cooking. It just falls apart it’s so tender and perfect. I’ll never use the oven again to roast a chicken.

8 Hayley October 15, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I have roasted a whole chicken in a crockpot – it is so good but not very pretty! It doesn’t brown on top, so it stays pretty light colored.

9 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 15, 2012 at 4:21 pm

My mom always makes whole chickens in the slow cooker, and it’s still my favourite way to prepare it! It’s so tender and juicy it’s ridiculous.

10 Kristen @ Happy Running Mama October 15, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I have a love affair with homemade split pea soup and am excited to make it now that the weather has finally started cooling off. I agree that it doesn’t look good in pictures, though!

I made a new “healthy” recipe over the weekend — pumpkin bread. Or at least it was supposed to be healthy until I added a cup (or more!) of chocolate chips. So now it is chocolate chip pumpkin bread. It is made with whole wheat flour and flax seed and I minimized the sugar added so I think it qualifies as healthy in my book. :)

11 Erin October 15, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I just roasted a chicken in my dutch oven last night, and it was so juicy and delish. Enjoy!

12 Cara October 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Your lunch sounds awesome and I can’t wait to hear how the chicken turns out! I’m actually roasting a venison roast right now, and that is something I have never tried before in the kitchen.

13 Lauren October 15, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Okay this is a brilliant idea! How can it NOT turn out amazing? :)

14 Hillary October 15, 2012 at 5:14 pm

This is actually a pretty lame “new” thing for me, but I never think to use ground chicken to pump up spaghetti sauce. This weekend, I roasted a spaghetti squash and topped it with my own homemade “meat” sauce. SO GOOD.

15 Megan October 15, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I did a similar crock pot whole chicken recipe yesterday! Turned out great! the crumped up alumnium foil balls are interesting though!

16 Annette @FitnessPerks October 15, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Nope nothing too new…ahh well! I am hoping to do an apple crisp here real soon :)

17 Cher @ Weddicted October 15, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Walnuts on a thick soup – great idea! Who cares if the photo isn’t so pretty ;)
Is that tinfoil in the bottom of the crockpot or are my eyes deceiving me lol

18 Becky @ runfundone October 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I “roast” a chicken in the crockpot usually once every other week. My husband hates it, but I don’t care. It’s easy and tastes all right. Last week I tried something new: I left the skin on and stuffed it with rosemary and applesauce. Hubs liked that a little better.

19 Megan @ Megan's Munchies October 15, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I love rotisserie chicken! Definitely have to try it in the crockpot!

20 Mica October 15, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I made pumpkin mac and cheese, and I am pretty proud of myself!