more ยป" />

Heavy Squatting

by Meghann on October 15, 2012

Good morning!

Can you believe another weekend has come and gone? Who’s ready to start a brand new week? ;)

I kicked my Monday off this morning with a little CrossFit session.

20121015_075808.jpg

Umm… yeah. I had to have this one explained to me, too.

Warm-up: 200 m run, 100 m shuffle (switch 1/2way), 100m high knees/ butt kicks – alt every 25m, world’s greatest stretch.

I think the warm-up was pretty self explanatory. One loop of the parking lot of my CrossFit box is 400 M (it’s even labeled every 100m to let people know where to switch off). We got about halfway around then started a side shuffle and switched about 50 m in. For the last 100 we alternated high knees and butt kicks. After the run, Coach Paula stretched us out and prepped us for the WOD.

Skill/Focus: Front Squat 1×8, 1×5

I was introduced to this lovely piece of equipment

20121015_073941.jpg

And attempted my first front squats.

squat-front.jpg

(source)

Our group was small today (only 6 people), which I LOVED because it meant a lot of one-on-one attention with the coach. I was partnered up with a veteran CrossFitter who introduced me to the front squat and we started with the 30lb bar as a base to gauge where we should build up to.

I did my first set of 8 and really just concentrated on form over strength. My coach claimed I was a natural – ha! – after that and began to push my limits. So much for the newbie taking it easy, right?

WOD: Front Squat 50% of possible 1 rm x5, 75% x 3, 85% x 1, 90-95% x 1, Test 1 rm

This is the part where things always get interesting.

First off, 1rm = one-rep max or your weight limit for one rep. Since I had no idea what my 1 rm was, we were guessing from the get-go. I was all set to start with 40 lbs for the 1×5 @ 50% (1 set of 5 reps at 50% of your max) when coach Paula came over and took the 5lbs off I had added to each side and replaced them with 10lbs. This became a pattern for the rest of the class. I added my definition of a little weight, then she would correct it with hers. Honestly, I was thankful she was there to push me outside my limits. I’m always unsure how much weight to add when lifting and she showed me I’m stronger than I think I am. It was basically add what you *think* then go 5lbs higher because that’s actually what you CAN do.

I slowly built myself up and ended up maxing out at 80 lbs. for my final 1 rm. The girl next to me told me she started out with 65 lb 1 rm and today set a new PR at 105lbs 1 rm. That’s some powerful inspiration!

Teams of 3: run as many meters as possible in 12 mins, switching every 400m.

We finished our class with a relay run in groups of 3. We each traded off running 400 m as fast as we could to see how many rounds we could get in as a team in 12 minutes. I kept a solid pace – hitting 1:22 on the nose for both of my 400s.

20121015_075928.jpg

My group finished with 2800 m in 12 minutes. Yay team!

I drove home chugging water and feeling good about my morning accomplishments.

Breakfast was a big bowl of protein oats.

20121015_084217.jpg

Oats:

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • raisins
  • cinnamon
  • 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • chia seeds

on top:

• peanut butter
  • apple
  • more cinnamon

20121015_084221.jpg

Fueled up and ready to start the day!

Psstt… check out Anne’s photo sneak peek from her wedding. GORGEOUS photos! But would you really expect anything less from a gorgeous bride and groom? Nope. Not at all.

1 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 15, 2012 at 10:38 am

Front squats are difficult to master — kudos to you on pushing yourself on your first session through!! Holding the bar, I found, was THE most awkward thing ever. Once I got over that, I started liking them much better.

As always, YUMMY looking breakfast!! Happy Monday. :)

2 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 15, 2012 at 10:42 am

Way to go girl! It is SUCH a mental game when it comes to lifting. At first I thought the bar was heavy (it kinda was) but as I kept trying more weight and feeling comfortable I realized I am much stronger than I first thought! Keep it up!

3 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 15, 2012 at 10:43 am

I love adding protein powder to my oats, I haven’t done it in ages though. I love doing chocolate with pumpkin oats!

4 NYC Fit Girl October 15, 2012 at 10:55 am

How are you liking crossfit?? You are going good; it’s nice your box is small so you can focus more on form than weight in the beginning.

5 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife October 15, 2012 at 11:09 am

great job on your front squat! and that team run sounds awesome. We haven’t done a WOD like that yet!

6 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 15, 2012 at 11:11 am

Crossfit looks like a great workout!!! This post is making me want to give it a try. :)

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 15, 2012 at 11:26 am

Congrats on the great workout! I have yet to try crossfit, we’ll see if/when I actually do… ;)

8 Anne October 15, 2012 at 11:27 am

It keeps freaking me out when I read about “Anne and Matt’s wedding.” My husband and I are also “Anne and Matt” (e and everything) and just got married last year. The whole weekend sounded wonderful!

9 Meghann October 15, 2012 at 11:32 am

Ha! too funny. Anne and I actually had a very deep conversation one time on why Anne with an “e” just makes so much more sense than without an “e.” (and by “deep” I mean we may have been a glass of wine or two deep at that point). My middle name is Anne with an “e”

10 Anne October 15, 2012 at 11:36 am

*Like* the wine conversations. Hooray for the “e”!! Anything less would be uncivilized.

11 lisa fine October 15, 2012 at 11:29 am

Thanks for explaining everything with CF. I feel like I’ve read recaps from other blogs, but never really understood how it all works until reading yours. You make it very clear to us non-Crossfit people.

Glad it’s going well! You’ll have sculpted arms in no time! :)

12 Meghann October 15, 2012 at 11:34 am

I think CrossFit workouts are one of those things that are hard to explain unless you’re in the moment. I’m trying my best to spit it out because I also get really confused when I read CrossFit workouts on other blogs, none of it clicked until my first class. Of course, the same can be said for reading running workouts, swimming workouts, etc.

13 Annette @FitnessPerks October 15, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Yay! Nice job :)

SO true. We are a LOT stronger than we think. Glad your coach helped push your limits!

14 amyt October 15, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Congrats!! I’m loving your updates on CrossFit! I’ve been lifting for 2 years actually going on 3…I love it!

15 Anna October 15, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Way to go, that`s awesome! When I will be brave enough one day, I want to try cross fit and lifting and all those big-girl things. Congratulations, can`t wait to here when you improve even more!!

16 Meagan @ Managing Meagan October 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Nice work!! I’m not a CrossFit-er and all that lingo always gets me and I never have any clue what people are talking about. Thanks for breaking it down. Sounds like you’re enjoy it! :)

17 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 15, 2012 at 5:06 pm

i just learned how to do front squats in my intro to barbell class last week!

18 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I think the hardest thing about Crossfit is understanding the lingo. Thanks for the explanations!

19 Beka October 16, 2012 at 9:05 am

Crossfit is looking more and more awsome every WOD recap post you’re giving…

20 Mackenzie {SusieFreakingHomemaker} October 16, 2012 at 10:45 am

You almost have me convinced that CrossFit isn’t intimidating… almost! :)

21 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 16, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Back during my basketball days, I used to squat all the time, but we never did front squats. I bet it’s much more difficult to hold/balance the bar …

22 Emily N October 16, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Protein oats are one of my FAVORITE breakfasts. I have been off of them for a few weeks for whatever reason, but seeing yours makes me ready to bring them back!

23 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 16, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I always complain about my pancake butt, perhaps heavy squatting is what I need. It sounds intimidating though!

24 Lauren Jamison October 16, 2012 at 4:00 pm

My first WOD was yesterday and I kept thinking about your first crossfit post as motivation. I’m going back today and it looks like its going to be a lot of deadlifts. My trainer was walking me through a proper squats and cleans as part of my intro yesterday and kept telling me I could do much heavier weight than I was. I’m glad to know you were surprised as well. I’m a little nervous about what they are going to pile on me today!

Well nervous, and totally excited :)

25 Meghann October 16, 2012 at 4:02 pm

That’s great Lauren! Good luck with the deadlifts today!