Zombie Traveler

by Meghann on October 14, 2012

Do you know what always sounds awesome in theory? Catching an early flight home so you can spend the rest of the day with your man.

Do you know what’s not-so-awesome in reality? Waking up just shy of 6:00am after partying it up with some awesome chicas and driving an hour to the airport to catch said early flight.

Hello, zombie traveler. What? You mean sunglasses aren’t meant to be worn through security? Good to know.

I’m just kidding, of course. Maybe.

Theodora and I were good girls last night and took the early shuttle back to the hotel since we knew we had early wake-up calls to look forward to. We were both out like a light by midnight, but I’m not going to lie and say that 5:50am alarm was any easier – it was still tough to leave the cozy bed!

Luckily the hour drive to the airport was smooth and we were able to return the rental without any glitches. I even had just enough time (barely!) to pick up breakfast before I boarded my flight.

20121014_082216.jpg

Pickins’ were slim at IAD. I ended up getting a breakfast burrito from a burrito place and politely asked them to hold the potatoes, beans, rice, and special cheese sauce. This was just eggs and veggies, boring but still pretty tasty. I ended up eating about half of the tortilla in burrito form, then picked out the rest of the egg and veggies from the other half.

I made it home before lunch time (aww… maybe that early flight was worth it ;) ) and decided on a pumpkin smoothie for lunch.

20121014_125237.jpg

Pumpkin protein smoothie = ice + pumpkin + plain greek yogurt + milk + vanilla whey protein + pumpkin spice

20121014_125946.jpg

There were also some handfuls of trailmix and a cheese stick at some point during the afternoon.

The main reason I wanted to beeline it back to Tampa was this:

20121014_143859.jpg

We bought new bedroom furniture!

It’s only something Derek and I have been wanting to do for over a year now. We finally decided to take the plunge and purchased an entire set from Ikea (bed, dressers, and nightstands). Of course, now the real fun begins – actually building the furniture. Gulp. We have the bed up and hope to have everything else built sometime this week. It’s like Christmas in October – so exciting! :)

For dinner tonight I sauteed some green beans, peppers, onions, and walnuts with some garlic and olive oil, and tossed in some shrimp at the end. I paired the combo with brown rice and a little soy sauce.

20121014_183735.jpg

Dessert was some fresh pineapple and a square of dark chocolate.

20121014_191222.jpg

Delish.

TIme to try and get some zzzzsss….

Good night!

Do you prefer early flights or later?

1 Kayla October 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm

That pineapple looks super delicious! We are having some raspberries for dessert right now!
Kayla recently posted..Wet Weather Running

2 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm

YAY to new bedroom furniture! how exciting! I am definitely an early morning flyer! I hate waiting all day just to go to the airport. Get me in and get me to where I’m going fast is the way I like to do it!
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Sweaty Sunday 10.8.12-10.14.12

3 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 14, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I usually do in between so I can have breakfast and say goodbye, but still get home in the afternoon with time to grocery shop and organize myself for the week
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Sunday… Smatterings?

4 Sana October 14, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I always hate eating pineapples because I end up eating too many and my mouth is all cut up!
Sana recently posted..Enjoyable Exercise

5 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 14, 2012 at 11:00 pm

My favourite time of day to travel is in the morning!! I’m a zombie if I get stuck late night traveling. You really don’t want me riding shotgun if we’re driving back any time past sunset — I will be asleep before you hit the first mile-marker on that highway!!
The pumpkin smoothie looks delicious! Hope putting the furniture together wasn’t too difficult!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..“All things great are wound up with all things little”

6 Meghann October 15, 2012 at 11:36 am

Ditto – I’m not the best passenger – I snooze even when it’s clear daylight and mid-afternoon :)

7 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 14, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I like late night flights. I enjoy being able to hop in bed and sleep after traveling. If I travel in the morning I have to stay up the rest of the day being tired!
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..Race Expo and Carbo Loading

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 14, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Good luck with the furniture building!!! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Day Off

9 Kathy October 15, 2012 at 6:34 am

Recently buying some more Whey Protein….there are so many out there…what do you think? Good one? All the same? I know some who love their GNC stuff but it seems a bit more expensive to me….just curious…

thanks.

10 Meghann October 15, 2012 at 11:39 am

I know NOTHING about protein powder. I buy the generic Whole Foods Whey because I like the taste and it’s cheap. That stuff can get $$$ and I don’t know enough about it to justify the expense. I’m sorry I’m not much help in that department.

11 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 15, 2012 at 7:27 am

I definitely prefer earlier flights. Hope you got some good rest!

12 Laura October 15, 2012 at 8:18 am

We just bought an Ikea dresser this weekend as well! The hubs assembled it last night and it took awhile. Good luck!

13 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 15, 2012 at 9:09 am

That looks like an Ikea cart to me! We spent some time in that store this weekend too. Now if only someone would show up to assemble it all!
Gina @ Running to the Kitchen recently posted..Pumpkin granola

14 Allie October 15, 2012 at 9:30 am

Im obessed with pumpkin so that smoothie looks good! I dont drink cows milk so I may try this with almond milk! Hope you wake up refreshed!
Allie recently posted..Pumpkin Fun & OOTD

15 Kathryn October 15, 2012 at 10:23 am

Serious question, I’ve been wanting this Ikea bed for a while but i’m scared i can’t use my current mattress AND box spring? Are you going to be using a box spring? I am such a dork about these things and never know!

16 Meghann October 15, 2012 at 10:27 am

I think it depends on the bed. The one we selected still requires a box spring, so we’re picking up a 9in box spring from the mattress place down the street this afternoon. Our previous bed (we had a sleep number mattress) didn’t require one, but I was never a fan of how low the bed sat. Can’t wait to be up high again!

17 Ali October 15, 2012 at 11:39 am

I used a standard box spring and mattress with my hemnes bed frame from ikea and it is perfect

18 Kristin October 15, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Putting together furniture from IKEA is a true relationship test! The bf & I have put many pieces together and it’s always quite an experience, lol.
Kristin recently posted..Halloween Horror Nights

19 Sara@RunningInPinkProject October 15, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I used to be an early flight girl…SO not worth it. ;)
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Ease Into 5K