Two Flights and a Dress

by Meghann on October 12, 2012

I made it!

After two relatively quick flights – with a short layover in Charlotte – I’m alive and well in beautiful Washington DC. Now I’m just patiently awaiting my wedding date’s arrival (Derek couldn’t make it this weekend and I already miss him to pieces :( ) so we can hit the road to wedding central. :)

Backing up, Derek was kind enough to drop me off at the airport during his lunch break earlier today. I was still on the bit of the early side for my flight so I stayed in the main terminal to catch up on work and have lunch.

PA120001.JPG

My airport lunch

PA120002.JPG

I mashed to hard-boiled eggs with some hummus, the leftover bacon from breakfast and some greens we had in the fridge. I rolled it all in a wrap for portable eatability (<- not sure if “eatability” is a real word, but I’m going with it ;) ).

PA120005.JPG

I ended up eating the apple during my flight and had the La Croix with lunch.

PA120006.JPG

I walked right by the Jamba Juice during my layover at the Charlotte airport and couldn’t resist stopping for their “Pumpkin Smash” smoothie. My goal was to try and seek one out while I was in the DC area, so running smack into one in Charlotte just meant it was meant to be.

PA120011.jpg PA120012.jpg

Once I landed in DC I had a couple of handfuls of trail mix to hold me over until Theodora arrives.

PA120016.JPG

(p.s. not a fan of this trail mix. didn’t think I would miss the salt, but I did.)

On another note, I’m officially convinced that comfy maxi dresses are the ONLY way to travel. ;)

02f86a6a148d11e2b55e22000a1c865b_7.jpg

(oh, yes – awkward bathroom shot. right here. )

The dress is Alternative Apparel (I ordered it the other week when they advertised a 30% discount code on Facebook) and it’s made of the softest cotton that has ever touched my skin. I want to order two more in different colors and just take turns swapping them out when I travel.

And – YES! – I have a jacket to wear. I’m prone to overheating when I travel (a mix of tight spaces in airplanes + the stress of traveling = hot flashes at the age of 27) which is why I went the tank top route. I plan to put the jacket on before I step outside, but even sitting in the airport right now I’m sweating. Can’t wait to feel that cool autumn air!

Oh! In full disclosure, I’m wearing special underwear that goes up past my belly button and sucks everything in. I ordered a cute lacy pair of said underwear when I read a post where another blogger was raving about them (I can’t check the tag right now without giving the airport a good shot. It’s not official “Spanx” so let’s go with “spanx-like” ). They’re actually pretty comfy and do a great job at smoothing everything out for dresses like the one above.

Just keeping it real. ;)

1 EP October 12, 2012 at 7:26 pm

ah i have always wanted to order one of those dresses from there! can i ask what size you went with, or is it pretty true to your normal size? i always wonder if it’s going to be too tight or too baggy.. that looks super comfy!

2 Meghann October 12, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I ordered a small based off of their sizing chart and it fits perfectly. I’ve been burned too many times when ordering clothes online, so I always get out the measuring tape and check the sizing guidelines before ordering from somewhere new. ;)

3 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 12, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Love Maxi dresses but need that sort of underwear – it feels like everything’s kinda hanging out a bit. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Awesome Things–Recovery Edition.

4 Meghann October 12, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Ha! Get a pair – they will change your life!

5 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 12, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Haha please let me know what brand the underwear is! And that dress looks great on you!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..I am.

6 Allie October 12, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Love the maxi dress! When you get a moment to yourself aka not in a public restroom, you should let us know what brand the underwear are! They sound perfect for dresses/skirts!

7 sara October 12, 2012 at 7:41 pm

i absolutely love that color! can i ask what color it is? it looks like it might be the eco grey or eco black but i am not sure. such a perf affordable dress for the fall.

8 Meghann October 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm

It’s Eco True Navy

9 natalie @ will jog for food October 12, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I love spanx! Keep the jiggles away, hehe.

Love the dress :)
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Typical Eats

10 Laura October 12, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I agree! The dress is absolutely adorable…you look gorgeous! And, please let us know what kind of underwear! I need to order a pair or two! Haha.

11 Kath October 12, 2012 at 8:01 pm

But maxi dresses have no pockets! I couldn’t imagine traveling without a back pocket for my boarding pass and phone : ) you look very stylish though!

12 Julie October 12, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Love the dress, it’s super flattering on you and looks both stylish and comfy! I work two blocks from an American Apparel, soooo…yeah, I think I’m going to need to copy you and get one for myself!

13 Kathy October 12, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Cutest dress ever…it looks great!

14 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 12, 2012 at 8:35 pm

That dress is SUPER cute! I want one!!!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday / 3-2-1

15 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 12, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I love this dress! So cute and casual. Very perf for travel. Enjoy the fall weather. It’s perfect this time of year up there!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Food Truck Rally

16 Kari October 12, 2012 at 9:05 pm

okay..full disclosure — I found your website via that…site. You know what one. And yes, I would snark on this website with the best of them.

But you know what? I have so, so much more respect for you — especially for these last two posts. OMG. I mean, there are NO — and I repeat NO – healthy living bloggers that would admit this stuff that you just admitted. This is just completely AWESOME.

and ya know? I also feel fat on some days too (and I know I’m not fat — neither are you) but it’s so nice to hear someone say that who also, like me, works out like a madwoman and watches what she eats. So awesome.

And I do the spanx thing or whatever too!

17 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 12, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I always thought that maxi’s would look strange on me because I’m on the shorter side … but I’m close to your height and you’re absolutely rocking that frock!! I may have to reconsider them …
Have a fabulous time!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Just the Facts Friday

18 Lize October 12, 2012 at 9:33 pm

The dress looks great. I worry that I’m too short to pull off the longer dresses, but maybe one like that would be OK.

I have to add that pumpkin is one of the few flavors that can pull me away from chocolate. I love pumpkin season!
Lize recently posted..Excerpt

19 Cher @ Weddicted October 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Just read your comment about sizing/online shopping. I know what that’s like and I understand the risk when online shopping.. my only gripe is having to pay return shipping. I tend to shop (online) at stores that offer free return shipping in the event that something doesn’t fit, is the wrong color, etc. I looove the convenience, otherwise, of not having to go to a mall!

Safe travels.
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Friday Favourites: Glamour

20 Gwen October 12, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Have so much fun at Anne’s wedding! The weather is supposed to be perfectly fall this weekend! And you look great in your dress! I agree they are the most comfy way to travel!

21 Megan October 12, 2012 at 10:58 pm

First thing I thought when I saw the pic of the dress? “I’d need special undies to wear that….”. Thanks for the full disclosure!!!

22 Erin October 12, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Very, very cute! What a great way to travel. And, yes, we need to know which underwear to order, for sure :-)
Erin recently posted..Grades of Laundry

23 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom October 13, 2012 at 7:47 am

I tend to travel in tank tops too due to overheating. I don’t do well on flights because I get really nauseous and if I am overdressed it is so much worse!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Funny Friday

24 Lori October 13, 2012 at 8:05 am

I’m so thrilled about your last couple paragraphs. Literally I saw your adorable picture and was like dammit. I want to wear those but even when I feel I’m at my thinnest…no. Genius reveal of the spanx-like garment, happy to know I shouldn’t feel bad about getting some!

25 mel October 13, 2012 at 8:07 am

cute dress! you look great

26 Madison October 13, 2012 at 8:30 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE the dress! And your hair looks amazing too!
Madison recently posted..Healthy Living Survey

27 carol October 13, 2012 at 10:08 am

That dress looks beautiful on you – perfect fit!!!! Enjoy the wedding.

28 Laura October 13, 2012 at 10:21 am

wow, thanks for keeping it so real.. it’s very inspiring to know you’re not trying to hide anything. and that dress makes you look tiny!!!!! seriously, you look awesome in that. Isn’t it amazing what the right pair of undergarments can do for your figure, and your confidence?! rock it, girl!

question–is the deal still going on, or are they back to full price? thinking it would look super cute with either a jean jacket or cardigan with belt!

29 Meghann October 13, 2012 at 10:47 am

Unfortunately, no. But I’d follow their Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/alternativeapparel), I’ve noticed that they’ll randomly post discount codes. Trust me, next time I see them post a 30% off code, I’m all over it!

30 Taylor October 13, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Just to echo pretty much everyone else…I love that dress! Maxi dresses and skirts are crazy comfortable, and an easy way to look cute without sacrificing comfort. You look awesome in yours!

31 jane October 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm

the dress looks great on you!

32 SkinnyRunner October 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm

that dress looks great on you!

33 Amanda October 13, 2012 at 6:41 pm

You look stunning! Thank you so very much for keeping it real in these past couple posts. Like another reader said, you’re the only HLB with the courage to do so. We all appreciate your honesty so very much and makes you so much more relatable and real.

34 kim@hungryhealthygirl October 15, 2012 at 10:14 am

Cute dress and I love your full disclosure! ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Pumpkin Oat Chocolate Chip Cookies & MIMM

35 Sonia the Mexigarian October 15, 2012 at 5:20 pm

that dress looks mighty comfortable! I want.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Wednesday shifts. . .