Wild

by Meghann on October 11, 2012

Tonight I met up with the “Literal Hotties” to discuss this month’s book club selection: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail.

PA110040.JPG

From Amazon:

A powerful, blazingly honest memoir: the story of an eleven-hundred-mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe—and built her back up again.

At twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life: to hike the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State—and to do it alone. She had no experience as a long-distance hiker, and the trail was little more than “an idea, vague and outlandish and full of promise.” But it was a promise of piecing back together a life that had come undone.

Strayed faces down rattlesnakes and black bears, intense heat and record snowfalls, and both the beauty and loneliness of the trail. Told with great suspense and style, sparkling with warmth and humor, Wild vividly captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddened, strengthened, and ultimately healed her.

I’ll admit I wasn’t a very good book club member this month and never finished the book. I should have downloaded an audio version, that way I could have listened to it on my runs instead of trying to find the time to read it on my iPad. The parts of the book I did read were good, if not a little intense. I thought I would read this and feel inspired to go on a hike, but I think it had the opposite effect. The author was fearless in her journey, as well as emotionally driven – I’m not sure I could be as fearless as she was.

Have you read Wild? What did you think?

We all said we were there to discuss the book, but I think we really just wanted to coo at the club’s newest member.

PA110041.JPG

Carolyn brought her gorgeous newborn daughter to learn all about Wild (I mean, after all, she did get to listen to a lot of the book in the womb, it only seemed fair ;)). It was nice seeing the new duo and we all took advantage by quizzing Carolyn on all things motherhood. I believe my favorite part of the evening was when she tried to describe giving birth and simply stated “it’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever done.” Makes total sense.

Stephanie played hostess this month (we all take turns) and make some delicious pork taco fixins’

PA110021.JPG

I was in charge of bringing a veggie, so I brought a bag of Quick Cook Baby Kale that OrganicGirl sent me.

PA110008.JPG

I kept it simple and just followed the basic directions on the back of the bag.

PA110011.JPG

PA110014.JPG

The baby kale had a different taste and texture than traditional kale and reminded me almost of baby spinach, only with a lot more flavor. It wasn’t as bitter as traditional kale and really did only take 4 minutes to cook.

PA110016.JPG

I filled my plate with a little of everything.

PA110027.JPG

Then went back for some more pork and slaw – yum!

I also had some carrots with almond butter earlier this afternoon and nibbled on some fruit from the sangria for dessert.

I stayed at Steph’s way too late talking with the girls, but it was hard to leave – we probably could have kept talking all night chi chatting. Unfortunately we all had early swim practice in the morning and a desperate need for sleep.

Good Night!

1 Becky @ runfundone October 12, 2012 at 12:20 am

I’ve eaten kale in restaurants, but never bought it for myself, because I didn’t know how to cook it…this sounds super easy though!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Leavenworth Oktoberfest

2 Cher @ Weddicted October 12, 2012 at 6:30 am

I’ve been obsessed with sauteed kale lately. And that book really does sound good. Wish I knew about it before and I would have bought it for my upcoming vacation!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Pink, black, and red, oh my! Dresses breaking tradition

3 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 12, 2012 at 7:26 am

Oh, I really encourage you to finish it. I was a backpacker before I read it, but that book really change my life and inspired my dream to do my own thru-hike. PCT here I come!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Breast Cancer Awareness: Save 2nd Base!

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 12, 2012 at 7:31 am

I love kale! I’ve never sauteed it. I’ve only made kale chips. Looks like I need to try something new :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Wedding Recap: Our Wedding Ceremony!…

5 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 12, 2012 at 8:32 am

I should find some of that kale – the regular stuff is just too bitter for me!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Awesome Things–Recovery Edition.

6 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 12, 2012 at 8:34 am

I read Wild and reviewed it on my blog this summer. I absolutely loved it, it actually inspired me to climb Pikes Peak (an over 14,000 ft mountain in CO Springs) by myself this August! It was hard but a great experience, haha and it left me very sun burnt and sore for most of HLS!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..I am.

7 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 12, 2012 at 8:35 am

I’ve been eating lots of kale lately–can’t get enough! I made a really good protein smoothie yesterday morning with frozen kale, one frozen banana, frozen blueberries, protein powder, and almond milk. Such a win. :) PS – I love seeing bikes in the background of the book club picture.
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Healthy at NBCU

8 Melissa October 12, 2012 at 9:05 am

Wild is on my to-read list, but like you, I’m not sure if I can get into it and finish it. I downloaded the sample to my Kindle and to be honest, it didn’t grab me. I have a short attention span when it comes to books (and movies too) that if they don’t grab me right away, I’m not interested. So yeah, I’m on the fence about this one. I’m not a hiker/backpacker/whatevs, but there are a few hikes on my bucket list (the Half Dome being one of them!) so I’m kind of interested in this.

9 Emily N October 12, 2012 at 10:16 am

Oooh, definitely will be looking for baby kale at the store. Sounds yummy!
Emily N recently posted..New Trial Shoes and a BIG WIN!

10 Irina @ Chocolatea Time October 12, 2012 at 10:43 am

I read Wild a few weeks ago and felt that it was a bit slow at times! There were certainly parts that completely engrossed me, but other times I was struggling to make it through the pages. Cheryl’s incredible determination and courage was so transparent and inspiring though!
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..Runner’s Quiz

11 Elaine October 12, 2012 at 3:24 pm

WILD is so good! You should definitely finish it!!

12 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 12, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Ohh quick-cooking baby kale, I need to get my hands on that! Baby spinach is my go-to, but I need to mix it up!
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Eat Like a Yogi: Arugula + Hummus + Red Pepper Tortillas