more ยป" />

Strong, Healthy, and Beautiful

by Meghann on October 11, 2012

Spaghetti squash leftovers take two: this time I went the mexican route.

I reheated the squash on the stovetop with some spinach and black beans and seasoned with a mix of chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. When everything was nice and hot, I added some feta (the only cheese we had) and finished it with salsa.

Pretty tasty. I knew black beans and spaghetti squash would make for an awesome combination and the whole meal took 5 minutes to make – all I had to do was heat everything up and mix it together. :)

And while I ate, I tuned into Daytime to watch the Pretty Muddy segment we had recorded on Tuesday. (you can watch the whole thing HERE).

IMG_2152.JPG IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2158.JPG IMG_2159.JPG

But the whole time I was watching myself on screen, I couldn’t stop thinking “Man, I look fat.”

I tend to carry a lot of my weight in my middle section and the fitted t-shirt wasn’t doing me any favors there. It wasn’t the shirt’s fault (it had a cute design, great color, and was really soft and comfortable), it’s just the way my belly is. That’s one of the reasons I tend to shy away from wearing t-shirts. I have a closet full of them because they always look so cute and comfortable on other people, but they just do not work on my body type. I need something with a little more structure that conceals the mid-section and instead draws attention up to my shoulders and arms (I have some killer collar bones ;) ).

But that’s not the point. Having that “I look fat” thought instantly made me feel bad about myself. I’m not sure which I hated more at that point, how I looked on camera or the fact I was beating myself up over it. My goal is to promote healthy body images, confidence, and loving yourself no matter what size or shape as long you’re healthy and happy. But I’m also human (and a girl) and sometimes the negative thoughts do creep up.

I could make a million excuses as to why my middle section looked that way on screen (bad angle, ill fitting shirt, horrible posture, etc.), but what it all comes down to is I have a bit of a belly. A belly that I’m not ashamed of, but a little hard to take when I see myself on national TV. And if I do have a problem with the way my belly is, then I should do something about it.

Luckily that’s what I’ve already started doing. I oddly found comfort in the fact that I have a bridal shape-up plan in the works and I can add “work on stomach” as one of those goals. Again, nothing extreme – I’m just looking to mix up my workout routine while eating a little less of the “bad” stuff and a little more of the “good” stuff. :)

So what did I do next? Well first I immediately took to gchat and found comfort in talking everything over with a friend (where would we be without awesome friends?!) then I went to my bathroom mirror and took a few deep breaths before leaving myself a little reminder a la Operation Beautiful.

29b5ab8c13d811e295351231381d448e_7.jpg

Because sometimes we all need a reminder of how awesome we are, especially on days when we’re not feeling too hot.

To all my friends, if you ever have one of those negative moments, just repeat after me, “I am STRONG. I am HEALTHY. I am BEAUTIFUL.” And smile. :)

1 Michelle M. October 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I am loving this post! My Step Daughter and I had this conversation last night. She is 15 and has a horrible body image. It’s nothing we’ve done that I know of because she get’s 9 million comments on how beautiful she is but she isn’t feeling it, She is trying to lose weight (the healthy way) and needs to be reminded NO MATTER WHAT SHE IS BEAUTIFUL INSIDE & OUT! Thanks!

2 Renee October 11, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I understand how you feel…we are built the same way. In fact I have gotten multiple compliments on my collar bones…

Anyway, thank you for this reminder. It is so easy to get stuck in a rut beating myself up over not being “perfect”. The fact is nobody is and I can be strong and healthy and that is beautiful.

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 11, 2012 at 3:54 pm

When I saw you post the Operation Beautiful note on Instagram, I was so happy and I needed the reminder. I had a long (but okay) day at work and then attempted a trip to the gym after, but due to slicing my toe open while running over the weekend, I couldn’t run today because it felt like my toe was going to fall off (who knew?!). I re-directed my energy to the strength portion of my workout but just couldn’t get into it. 30 minutes later I left without sweating and feeling rather bad about myself. I needed a little pick-me-up in whatever form possible. Long story short, thank you! :)

4 Amanda October 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm

This is definitely appreciated. I am getting married in 3 weeks and have suddenly become extremely hard on myself when it comes to food and exercise. I’m critical of my body and judgmental of others – I think it’s just a re-direction of stress, but I really hate the way that I’ve been thinking lately. I love that you were able to re-frame your thoughts. Thanks!

5 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian October 11, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I love this! It’s so true that even though we are supposed to be living these healthy lifestyles that embrace our bodies, sometimes those negative thoughts creep up because like you said, we’re girls! it happens! But go girl for turning your negative thoughts around into something actionable – your bridal workout – and the operation beautiful note. I love this. We all have parts of our bodies we would love to change. I would LOVEEEEE to change my upper thighs. No matter how much I squat, run, spin, diet – they don’t get much smaller. But those big upper thighs power me through those squats and carry me through half marathons. Love your attitude!

6 Becky October 11, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Check out “I am a Princess” from Disney on YouTube. All about strong, kind, and brave princesses. I think it’s pretty wonderful!

7 Allison October 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm

I love this! We are so hard on ourselves as women. I’m glad that you see the beauty in yourself!

8 Simone October 11, 2012 at 4:04 pm

A little while back when I was having a real hard time with body issues I went out and bought the operation beautiful book, just seeing all those great notes and how they changed peoples lives really made a difference to me

9 Beth @ 990 Square October 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Meghann, I think you look awesome. I’m petite (like you) and I have a bit of a belly–it’s just the way I’m built. But do you really have a belly, or are you just not supermodel thin? Remember, the camera adds weight and in real life, most people that look “thin” on tv look sick. You’ve posted plenty of pictures of yourself in swimsuits, and you always look awesome–like a real, healthy woman, not like a stick figure.

I think if you want to tone up that’s great, but don’t go crazy. It’s so sad when people, especially brides, get hung up on looking “perfect”.

Not saying any of this to be mean, just saying it because you are one of my favorite HLB bloggers because you’re so real.

10 Meghann October 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Trust me, I have curves that I love and would never want to go away (I think my fiance would miss them too!), but I do have a belly. Keep in mind that the majority of photos that I post on here are the ones that I’ve picked because they’re my best angles (I don’t usually post the ones where I’m standing naturally with my belly out). I’m a big believer that if you don’t like something about yourself, then do something about it and don’t just complain about it. I’ve been working on toning up for a while and I think this was just my final push to get serious. I don’t plan to go crazy (I don’t think I have it in me to go crazy), but I do want to watch a video of myself in the future and not feel the urge to turn away. I think in this instance, it’s not for the wedding, it’s for me.

11 Beth @ 990 Square October 11, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I also do the “post pictures I like of myself” thing, so I get it :-)

It seems like you’re in the right place, and I appreciate your honesty in the post.

12 Meghann October 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm

13 Melissa October 11, 2012 at 4:57 pm

!!! Wow!! Thank you for being HONEST (re: flattering angles) I don’t think there’s one HLB out there who would actually say that. Because they all do the SAME THING! (so would I though)

Props to you!

14 Meagan @ Managing Meagan October 11, 2012 at 4:09 pm

LOVE this post! We ALL get down on ourselves sometimes. It’s totally natural. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Good for you for realizing it and not only working to better the things you want to make better (though for the record, I think you look great!) but also realizing that you were being hard on yourself and reminding yourself that you ARE STRONG, HEALTHY, and BEAUTIFUL!

15 Courtney October 11, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I am feeling you on the belly thing! I think we all have a little softness around our midsection, it’s part of being feminine, I think. I NEVER wear tee-shirts, unless they’re my husbands. And then I’m at home, haha. :)

It just goes to show that women who look great are well-dressed! Clothes that compliment us are what it’s all about! I had to learn this hard way, many tee shirts later …. and in the photo you posted with the note, you look STUNNING.

16 Allie October 11, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I thought the same thing to myself this morning as I was looking at my marathon pictures. I ran a marathon on Sunday, but am concerned about looking fat in the pictures? Then I realized how dumb that was and gave myself the same pep talk. I’m definitely strong, healthy, and beautiful.

17 Helena October 11, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Um, you look tiny to me on the video. I know it’s easier said than done to view yourself with confidence, but it seems like you need to work on that rather than on losing weight that you don’t need to lose. The only way you’ll look beautiful at your wedding is if you let yourself feel completely happy that day and aren’t afraid to stand tall and show it on your face.

18 Nikki October 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I thought you looked cute and happy and excited to race in the mud on the video! Win, win, win!
I got married in August, and worrying about losing a few pounds beforehand really lessened my excitement. I hope you are able to keep a balanced and level-headed mindset about it. (Oops, I almost typed “about tit.”)

19 CaitlinHTP October 11, 2012 at 4:29 pm

thank you for telling your readers about operation beautiful :)

and you are a strong and beautiful woman!

20 Laura October 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I think it’s fine that you want to “tone-up” for your wedding, but just keep it in perspective. Realistically, you could lose 5-10lbs and gain a little bit of muscle in 3 months, but you’ll probably be the only one who will be able to notice it. I can see that you keep talking about it because you’re feeling insecure (which you agree with in this post), but try to remember that your wedding isn’t about your belly or the pictures, it’s about starting a marriage. No matter how your belly looks, you’re getting married on that day! I’m getting married next year too, and granted I’m not in a position to lose weight, but it’s important to me not to do anything too rash to get fitter before my wedding because I really don’t want to gain weight or look different *after* my wedding! You wouldn’t want to look back at your pictures in 6 months and think “wow, I’ve really let myself go!”

21 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride October 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I love this post, thanks for being so honest! While it’s easy for me to say you look fit and awesome, it’s more important for you to see it and feel it too!

I have been feeling great recently by eating healthier and getting to the gym (my bridal shape-up too!) but today I was looking in the mirror at one point and was surprised to find myself thinking, “Ugh, I still look fat”.

This post was a good reminder to snap out of it. Instead I am going to compliment myself and keep working hard :)

22 Nikki October 11, 2012 at 4:36 pm

I thought you looked adorable!

23 Maureen October 11, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Thank you for posting this. I find it is easy to get so caught up in what I think my flaws are that I forget about all the great things about me, inside and out. Your note was the ah ha moment I needed today. I’ll be sticking my own note on the mirror tonight. :)

24 clare @ fittingitallin October 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm

You are a fantastic role model:) And beautiful!

25 Melissa October 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Thank you for being honest. This is something that is lacking in the HLB world. I did not expect to ever read a post like this from you or any of the other HLBs — because in the HLB “world”, it’s all about how they want to stay fit for health’s sake and completely ignore the real (or at least I suspect) reason they workout so much/eat certain foods etc — it’s because they want to be thin/stay thin, etc.

So this is a refreshing post. Thank you.

Also, I workout because I want to stay thin. That’s it. End of story :) I mean, it’s nice having energy & the cardio endurance but honestly, it’s because I don’t want to get fat. :)

26 Megan October 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Meghann you look great and you are strong, healthy and beautiful!! We all have these insecurities about certain parts (or all!) of our bodies, and this post was a great reminder to stop focusing on those “issues” and give ourselves credit for all the things we love about ourselves.

On a side note, how are you feeling today? Still super sore from Crossfit? I’m starting Crossfit on Monday and am terrified!! But reading your posts inspired me to finally give it a try! Thanks for the push. :-)

And, congrats on being on TV, that’s pretty cool!

27 Meghann October 11, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Very sore, but in a good way. :) Don’t be scared! Let me know how it goes. :)

28 Annette @FitnessPerks October 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Love the post! So true-we are strong, beautiful, and lovely–NO matter our size!

29 Heather October 11, 2012 at 5:11 pm

This was a beautifully written post. Amazing how we can tell ourselves something over and over again (and others can say the same) but the second we see an image of ourselves, it’s easy to find the flaws. Thank you!

30 Em @ Yep. I Ate That. October 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Thanks for posting this. I try maintain an overall healthy body image but I think we all sometimes struggle to accept and love at least one of our body parts (for me, it’s the hips/butt). The message in your mirror is something we should all try to remember whenever these negative thoughts start to creep in!

31 Jenn (eating bender) October 11, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I felt the same way when I was looking at pictures of myself during my half marathon earlier this summer. It’s definitely part of being a girl but reminders like the Operation Beautiful notes (and posts like these that show I’m not alone) are what help me realize I need to focus on the fact that, for example, my body had just carried me 13.1 miles. I should be damn proud of it! Thanks for your refreshing honesty, as always!

32 Cher @ Weddicted October 11, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Good for you for admitting how you feel. And remember that the camera really does make everyone look different than they do “in real life” :) You look great!

33 Peta October 11, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Sometimes i think women tell themselves they look fat to motivate the diet. Because it might be challenging to think of stuff beyond the eating / exercising loop.

34 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for talking about this. I think sometimes it’s comforting to know we all have these doubts. You look fabulous, and you are strong! You can run marathons! You rock!

35 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 11, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I really needed this right now, thank you for being so honest. I’m the same way – I carry all my weight in my stomach and I’ve gained back about 10-12 lbs over the past year. Weight that really bothers me. When I was looking through my marathon photos, all I could think was “I look fat.” How awful is that? I just ran a MARATHON and all I can think about is my weight!?!? Life is so much more than a few extra pounds, I AM so much more than a few extra pounds. Thank you for the reminder.

36 Heather October 11, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I feel that way a lot lately. I put on 18lbs during my first year of marriage and it’s been HORRIBLE. I was looking at vacation pictures of myself and found myself wanting to delete ALL of them that I’m in because it’s just too horrifying to look at.

Thanks for this post. It’s nice to know that seemingly healthy and normal women feel the same way sometimes.

37 Hillary October 11, 2012 at 5:46 pm

I’m glad you included the word “healthy” in there. I’ll be the first to admit that I work out to maintain my weight and feel comfortable with my body, but on the days where I just feel gross and keep finding things I want to fix, I always remind myself that being healthy—mentally, physically, emotionally—is so much more important in the grand scheme of things.

38 Casey October 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I love this, and you. As a college senior, I am in the best shape of my life, yet still battle with that freaking stomach. Sometimes it’s so hard to not let it get the best of me or dominate my thoughts, and this post makes me feel so good!

Thanks :)

39 Josephine October 11, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Great post! Not only are you strong, healthy, and beautiful but you are also BRAVE! For putting this out there.

40 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm

This is a post and a reminder that we ALL need at one point or another!

41 Michelle October 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Girl – you do NOT have a belly. We have all seen you in a bikini and there is nothing hanging over. Let’s talk after you have kids, okay? :) Then you will look back and think DAMN I should have appreciated my flat stomach!! I think sometimes the things you wear don’t fit your curves right and that makes it SEEM like you have one. Not that I don’t understand how you feel. I was you 6 years ago While I definitely admire you for admitting it aloud and wanting to work on it (but also accepting that you are beautiful and strong) but know that there’s only so much you can do to shape them. Surprisingly, what has helped my mom gut more than anything is running. I could do all of the sit ups and planks in the world – but running has actually given me stronger abs!

42 Grace @ Grace Dishes October 11, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Operation Beautiful – I like that!

I think we all have areas of our body we’re self-conscious about. I have a pooch and my arms have always made me nervous. Like you, I know what works for me and what doesn’t. I don’t like how T-shirts look on me either. I like a lower neckline.

Wonderful segment!

43 Callie @ The Wannabe Athlete October 11, 2012 at 7:32 pm

One of my favorite posts you’ve ever written. Love you.

44 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City October 11, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I love that you picked the words strong, healthy, and beautiful to describe yourself, those are perfect. It’s taken me about 3 years to learn to be okay with my “strong” legs (I mean they carry me through marathons) and I am constantly reminding myself that they’re strong AND beautiful, I should be thankful to be running as much as I do!

45 Megan @ The Delightfull Dash October 11, 2012 at 7:50 pm

I completely understand how you feel. I’ve always been self-conscious of my body, especially my stomach…that’s where I carry all of my weight. I’m often very hard on myself, and have to remind myself that I’m beautiful as I am. I made a “I’m Worth It” Jar that I go to every time I have a negative thought.

Thanks for writing about this. It reminds us all that we all have insecurities and no one is perfect. You are strong, healthy, and beautiful! :)

46 Megan @ The Delightfull Dash October 11, 2012 at 7:50 pm

47 Morgan October 11, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Meghann, you look great! If anything, you need to eat more (of the right kind of foods) to rid any “belly”. Judging solely by your posts and your exercise routine, you might want to try upping your protein and actually eating more, so your body doesn’t hang on to all it has. Please, don’t think you need to eat less. You need more.

48 Annie October 11, 2012 at 8:03 pm

LOVE love LOOOOOVE this post Meghann!! You are such an inspiration. And I know first hand that you have a strong will and can accomplish whatever you put your mind to. I see lots of planks in your future LOL :)

49 Jean October 11, 2012 at 8:19 pm

You absolutely do not look fat, nor are you remotely fat. Constructively, wearing a more supportive bra and better posture could help.

50 Kat October 11, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Please don’t take this the wrong way, because you are tiny, but wearing larger sizes might make you look and feel a million times better about yourself. I squeezed myself into too small sizes for months before I saw the light!

51 Nina October 12, 2012 at 8:18 am

Agreed!

52 Carolyn October 12, 2012 at 10:24 am

Funny how we squeeze into smaller sizes, just because of a tag. No one else knows what the tag says!

53 Amanda October 11, 2012 at 8:54 pm

You’re taking it better than me! I would have been crushed (I’m a work in progress). Operation Beautiful fixes all!

54 Amanda October 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Umm can I just say, you are awesome! Thanks for keeping it real.

And also that I think you are super strong and beautiful! You are an inspiration!

55 Rebecca October 11, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Belly Swelly, who cares! :-)

I’m a fellow belly-sister! I am skinny everywhere else but my middle (and my behind). I as well pick out clothes that flatter my figure, but honestly some days I don’t care and my belly hangs out a bit. I have always had a bit of a belly, even when I trained 5x a week for track.

One thing that I try and remember is that even though I have a bit of a belly – I am very healthy and in reasonably good shape. I can run circles around most of my students (well, not my track team – they kick my ass) and I can play a pick of game of whatever and not feel windy.

I remember the one time I did complain to the girls on my track team about weighing a certain amount. They told me they weighed the same and to be quiet :-)

56 Tracy October 11, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I love this post from you today. And you ARE beautiful….just to candidly say what you said about yourself and so rawly bare how it made you feel….100% beautiful!

57 Sara October 11, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Thank you for being so honest & real. This is a great reminder to love ourselves.

58 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 11, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Definitely understand the belly issue – I have issues with mine as well. While I’d love to get rid of it, I’m aware that it’s going to be incredibly difficult to do – fighting against nature!

I love the idea of writing yourself an Operation Beautiful note, we could all use the reminder sometimes.

59 Kelsey October 11, 2012 at 11:46 pm

That’s where a lot of my extra weight is too. I just try to dress for my body type and focus on what fits me, not necessarily what size it is.

60 Chuck October 12, 2012 at 1:32 am

Great post Meghann. I can honestly say that you are beautiful but I also know how we are harder on ourselves than what others see. I want to tell you that it’s truly inspiring for me to see you post this and I’m working on trying to accept my new self. I can’t wait to see you when I get back to Tampa!

61 Nina October 12, 2012 at 8:13 am

We all have those moments, men included. Go back to something you know works, like NROLFW!

62 Samantha W. October 12, 2012 at 9:47 am

I am very much on the fence about this post. The overall message of loving your healthy body is awesome, but at the same time, I feel as though it does feed into ideas of having a “perfect” body, over exercising, and disordered eating. You post a lot of pictures of yourself with your stomach shown, and, it looks completely flat? Where is this “belly” that you are speaking of? I would kill for your body, but I know that you work very hard to stay in shape.
As someone with an eating disorder and tons of body image issues, this post just makes me feel super self conscious about my own body. I feel like this post just feeds into these issues. I realize that wasn’t your intention and it’s something that I am trying to work on, but I just thought that I would put that out there. The blogword is full of healthy living bloggers that openly struggle with eating/exercise issues. And EDs are by nature very competitive and there is a lot of comparison. I know that everyone’s body is different; we are all built differently.
Everyone is critical of themselves–but, you have nothing to be critical of! There is just such a fine line between being healthy and then it becoming an obsession. Not that this is what is happening here.
I hope that this doesn’t come off as mean or bitchy, because that’s not my intention at all. Like you said, you are strong, healthy, and beautiful. And as long as you believe that, I think that is really all that matters.

63 jane October 12, 2012 at 9:51 am

ugh i am not a huge fan of my belly right now either…i am trying to say this in the absolutely nicest way possible, but when i saw the photos i noticed you have a little belly as well. which completely surprises me-you work out every single day-tough workouts-i am just surprised that you are not really fit and strong without much flab at all. i guess it just goes to show that everyone is built differently and maybe there is some truth to heavier people having a predisposition to being that way. that being said it was just an unflattering pose- we all got ‘em! (and try to hide them) :-) have fun at cross fit and i am sure you will look stunning in your wedding dress-derek will sure think so and isnt that really at that matters?

64 Carolyn October 12, 2012 at 10:34 am

Just watched the video, and as a random viewer from NJ, your body looks fine! The “belly” disappears when you’re in motion. And your right, those tshirts could be an XXL, and when you have a belly they’re just not flattering. Genetics are a bitch sometimes, aren’t they?

65 Emily N October 12, 2012 at 10:56 am

I (long before I knew about operation beautiful) used to keep a post it note on my bathroom mirror all the time. It said “you are strong, you are smart, you are beautiful, you are CAPABLE”. I was going through a rough break up and it really helped. Glad it helped you too!

66 kim@hungryhealthygirl October 12, 2012 at 11:44 am

I have the same problem as you…a bit of a belly, but beautiful collar bones. ;) I love your honesty and positivity. I agree with you, if you aren’t happy with something work to fix it. Good luck!

67 Jessica October 12, 2012 at 11:52 am

One of the best things about you is your drive to better yourself for yourself. While things that other people say, think and do naturally affect you, you always seem to come back to a wonderful sane place where you recognize that you matter, and that you are the only one who matters. That is beautiful.

Your perspective on life is uplifting to me and to our whole group of friends, and I should have told you long ago. We love you for who you are now, and for the amazing woman you will continue to grow into!

68 Meghann October 12, 2012 at 11:58 am

Oh, Jess! This comment just about made me cry. I love you guys too. Thank you for continuing to inspire me and alway encouraging me to just be me. You guys are my rock. :)

69 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I’m glad you are able to be candid about this…it just shows that you are REAL. I totally know how you feel, but girl you look great and I know you’ll reach your goals and feel better in no time! (Just remember this moment next time you do Crossfit. ;)

70 jenny October 18, 2012 at 11:02 am

FYI, this is my favorite post from you, like, ever :) As in this shot you to the top of my fav blog list because it was so honest and relatable. Cool stuff, thanks Meghann. And I’m totally enjoying following your wedding planning posts!!