more ยป" />

Sore

by Meghann on October 11, 2012

Ouch! I woke up SORE today!

The soreness actually began creeping in last night. I could feel it in my arms, chest, and legs when ever I had to make a quick movement. Grabbing the tea bags from the top shelf was quite the experience after dinner. There were muscles hurting that I’m pretty sure I forgot I had. Hurt so good.

I was also so exhausted that I didn’t even get the chance to catch up on my games of Words with Friends in bed last night before I crashed. I was out pretty much as soon as I hit the pillow.

When I was at CrossFit yesterday, someone had a good quote “The workouts don’t get easier, but your body learns to recover quicker.” I hope that’s true because man do I hurt.

I decided to work the soreness out today by sticking with my planned interval run. As soon as my legs started moving the soreness seemed to fade away. I did my mile warmup then eased my way back into intervals by pushing myself for .25 then recovering with a jog for .25. Since I haven’t been doing any speedwork at all in the last 6 months, the short intervals were just what I needed. The back and forth of pushing and recovery lasted for the remaining 4 miles. I averaged an 8:15ish pace for the “fast” .25 and then 9:30ish during the recovery. The 5 miles took me a little more than 44 minutes to complete.

Baby steps. Baby steps.

After my run I got my foam roller out and had a good rolling session mixed with some downward dogs, upward dogs, and pigeon poses. My body needed a good stretch and a good stretch was what it got.

Breakfast

In the mix:

• Plain Oikos
  • Peach
  • Peanut Butter
  • Walnuts

This peach was worse than the one I had on Monday. Blah. There’s still one more left in the fridge from the trio I bought Sunday, but I’m not even sure it’s worth eating. I might make a smoothie with it or simply toss it, I’m pretty sure it’s not worth eating as-is. So sad.

Do you know what today is?

10/11/12

I love fun dates like that. :)

It’s also Pretty Muddy day on Daytime!

20121009_121939.jpg

Our segment should air during today’s show. Check here to see where to catch Daytime in your area, if you’re in Tampa Bay Daytime airs on WFLA-TV (Channel 8) from 11:00am-Noon.

Have a great 10/11/12 everyone! :)

1 Yellow Haired Girl October 11, 2012 at 10:18 am

I’m in the same boat today, girl. 105 flights on the Stair Master last night. I’m craving a pigeon post, STAT!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Success!

2 NYC Fit Girl October 11, 2012 at 10:20 am

So when I first started crossfit a few weeks ago I was always sore.. Not 4 weeks in I hardly get sore after a workout. If we do a heavy leg or arm workout I will feel it the next day but I am up to going to crossfit everyday now and my body recovers fine.

Give it time it’s amazing how much better you get in time.
NYC Fit Girl recently posted..Picky Eater

3 Michelle October 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

I remember the first few weeks of running it hurt just to move the next day. It’s a good hurt :)
Michelle recently posted..Travel Thursday: Paris

4 Allison October 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

I love being sore. I feel like I actually did something.
Allison recently posted..The Couponers Delima–Donations

5 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 11, 2012 at 11:04 am

I just bought a discounted intro pack on Yelp to my local Crossfit since it’s been on my list for a while! I am nervous that I am going to be totally lost and discouraged the first class but it’s good to know your experience was so positive!

6 Cher @ Weddicted October 11, 2012 at 11:09 am

Love to “hurt so good” At least I know some change is happening!:)
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Pink, black, and red, oh my! Dresses breaking tradition

7 Carolyn October 11, 2012 at 11:12 am

Funny how running seems to help work out the soreness!
Carolyn recently posted..First time.

8 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian October 11, 2012 at 11:17 am

yuck – gross peaches are the worst.
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #27: Muir Glen Giveaway {What I Ate Wednesday}

9 N October 11, 2012 at 11:31 am

Today’s my birthday! And yes, it’s a very cool day! :)

10 Meghann October 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Happy Birthday!!!

11 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed October 11, 2012 at 11:42 am

I find it’s probably that my ass hits the pillow so much harder now, that the recovery is brought on by sleep.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Topless, Knocked Up, and in the Snow.

12 Lindsay October 11, 2012 at 11:49 am

Gross peaches really are the worst!

Oh, and great quote! Kind of what I say about running– it never gets easier, you just find you can run farther and faster!
Lindsay recently posted..The Vibram Stench

13 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 11, 2012 at 11:55 am

I don’t feel like I got a good workout if I’m not sore the next day. Love the burn! I love dates like today too. I think it has something to do with my bday being 11/12 :)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..A guide to intervals and where to stay in Tallahassee

14 Emily N October 11, 2012 at 11:56 am

Nice job pushing yourself to get the run in!
Emily N recently posted..The Tigers Blow it, and I get no Sleep

15 Mo October 11, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Being sore the next day is my favorite part of working out. It’s proof to myself that I am working my body! :)
Mo recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

16 Annette @FitnessPerks October 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I definitely was feeling it today too–from teaching a bunch of BP & running a bit faster than normal. I did yoga poses & foam rolling today too! :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Consistency Is Key + Gluten Free Expo Tickets

17 Megan October 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Know the feeling! I remember not being able to get out of bed my first few weeks of crossfit! Sitting down to go to the bathroom was torture after 400 meters of walking lunges! I find the more I go to crossfit, the less sore I am.. strange I know.

18 Katie @ Meet Me At The Finishline October 11, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I believe that quote! I recover much quicker, but I wake up stiff, sore and cracking every day from Ashtanga or running… Used to do Crossfit, but my body couldn’t handle it. Loved how I looked when I did it though! It’s an addicting thing I loved my coach! BTW The blackbean pumpkin enchiladas were a Clean Eating Chelsey Recipe.

19 Stephanie October 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I am so sad that peach season is over! I love those juicy little treats. Crossfit always looks so intimidating to me but I still want to give it a try.

20 Jess October 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I love the date today. It’s actually my wedding anniversary. :-)
Jess recently posted..The countdown