by Meghann on October 11, 2012

Ouch! I woke up SORE today!

The soreness actually began creeping in last night. I could feel it in my arms, chest, and legs when ever I had to make a quick movement. Grabbing the tea bags from the top shelf was quite the experience after dinner. There were muscles hurting that I’m pretty sure I forgot I had. Hurt so good.

I was also so exhausted that I didn’t even get the chance to catch up on my games of Words with Friends in bed last night before I crashed. I was out pretty much as soon as I hit the pillow.

When I was at CrossFit yesterday, someone had a good quote “The workouts don’t get easier, but your body learns to recover quicker.” I hope that’s true because man do I hurt.

I decided to work the soreness out today by sticking with my planned interval run. As soon as my legs started moving the soreness seemed to fade away. I did my mile warmup then eased my way back into intervals by pushing myself for .25 then recovering with a jog for .25. Since I haven’t been doing any speedwork at all in the last 6 months, the short intervals were just what I needed. The back and forth of pushing and recovery lasted for the remaining 4 miles. I averaged an 8:15ish pace for the “fast” .25 and then 9:30ish during the recovery. The 5 miles took me a little more than 44 minutes to complete.

Baby steps. Baby steps.

After my run I got my foam roller out and had a good rolling session mixed with some downward dogs, upward dogs, and pigeon poses. My body needed a good stretch and a good stretch was what it got.

In the mix:

• Plain Oikos
  • Peach
  • Peanut Butter
  • Walnuts

This peach was worse than the one I had on Monday. Blah. There’s still one more left in the fridge from the trio I bought Sunday, but I’m not even sure it’s worth eating. I might make a smoothie with it or simply toss it, I’m pretty sure it’s not worth eating as-is. So sad.

Do you know what today is?

I love fun dates like that. :)

It’s also Pretty Muddy day on Daytime!

Our segment should air during today’s show. Check here to see where to catch Daytime in your area, if you’re in Tampa Bay Daytime airs on WFLA-TV (Channel 8) from 11:00am-Noon.

Have a great 10/11/12 everyone! :)

1 Yellow Haired Girl October 11, 2012 at 10:18 am

I’m in the same boat today, girl. 105 flights on the Stair Master last night. I’m craving a pigeon post, STAT!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Success!

2 NYC Fit Girl October 11, 2012 at 10:20 am

So when I first started crossfit a few weeks ago I was always sore.. Not 4 weeks in I hardly get sore after a workout. If we do a heavy leg or arm workout I will feel it the next day but I am up to going to crossfit everyday now and my body recovers fine.

Give it time it’s amazing how much better you get in time.
NYC Fit Girl recently posted..Picky Eater

3 Michelle October 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

I remember the first few weeks of running it hurt just to move the next day. It’s a good hurt :)
Michelle recently posted..Travel Thursday: Paris

4 Allison October 11, 2012 at 10:52 am

I love being sore. I feel like I actually did something.
Allison recently posted..The Couponers Delima–Donations

5 Hayley @ Running on Pumpkin October 11, 2012 at 11:04 am

I just bought a discounted intro pack on Yelp to my local Crossfit since it’s been on my list for a while! I am nervous that I am going to be totally lost and discouraged the first class but it’s good to know your experience was so positive!

6 Cher @ Weddicted October 11, 2012 at 11:09 am

Love to “hurt so good” At least I know some change is happening!:)
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Pink, black, and red, oh my! Dresses breaking tradition

7 Carolyn October 11, 2012 at 11:12 am

Funny how running seems to help work out the soreness!
Carolyn recently posted..First time.

8 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian October 11, 2012 at 11:17 am

yuck – gross peaches are the worst.
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #27: Muir Glen Giveaway {What I Ate Wednesday}

9 N October 11, 2012 at 11:31 am

Today’s my birthday! And yes, it’s a very cool day! :)

10 Meghann October 11, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Happy Birthday!!!

11 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed October 11, 2012 at 11:42 am

I find it’s probably that my ass hits the pillow so much harder now, that the recovery is brought on by sleep.
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Topless, Knocked Up, and in the Snow.

12 Lindsay October 11, 2012 at 11:49 am

Gross peaches really are the worst!

Oh, and great quote! Kind of what I say about running– it never gets easier, you just find you can run farther and faster!
Lindsay recently posted..The Vibram Stench

13 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 11, 2012 at 11:55 am

I don’t feel like I got a good workout if I’m not sore the next day. Love the burn! I love dates like today too. I think it has something to do with my bday being 11/12 :)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..A guide to intervals and where to stay in Tallahassee

14 Emily N October 11, 2012 at 11:56 am

Nice job pushing yourself to get the run in!
Emily N recently posted..The Tigers Blow it, and I get no Sleep

15 Mo October 11, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Being sore the next day is my favorite part of working out. It’s proof to myself that I am working my body! :)
Mo recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

16 Annette @FitnessPerks October 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I definitely was feeling it today too–from teaching a bunch of BP & running a bit faster than normal. I did yoga poses & foam rolling today too! :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Consistency Is Key + Gluten Free Expo Tickets

17 Megan October 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Know the feeling! I remember not being able to get out of bed my first few weeks of crossfit! Sitting down to go to the bathroom was torture after 400 meters of walking lunges! I find the more I go to crossfit, the less sore I am.. strange I know.

18 Katie @ Meet Me At The Finishline October 11, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I believe that quote! I recover much quicker, but I wake up stiff, sore and cracking every day from Ashtanga or running… Used to do Crossfit, but my body couldn’t handle it. Loved how I looked when I did it though! It’s an addicting thing I loved my coach! BTW The blackbean pumpkin enchiladas were a Clean Eating Chelsey Recipe.

19 Stephanie October 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I am so sad that peach season is over! I love those juicy little treats. Crossfit always looks so intimidating to me but I still want to give it a try.

20 Jess October 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I love the date today. It’s actually my wedding anniversary. :-)
Jess recently posted..The countdown