Just a taste

by Meghann on October 10, 2012

I had a consult at Parkesdale Market this afternoon in Plant City.

Parkesdale is famous for their strawberry milkshakes (seriously the BEST strawberry milkshake you will ever have) and I had just talked myself out of getting one (you know “bridal shape-up” and all) when Xiomara told me they were now serving PUMPKIN milkshakes at the market.

20121010_165704.jpg

Oh, man. She knows how to tempt a girl. The pumpkin milkshakes are made with real vanilla ice cream, puree pumpkin, brown sugar, and lots of pumpkin spice – basically, pumpkin pie in a cup. How could I say no?

Luckily, she offered a compromise – just a taste in a sample cup…refilled twice.

20121010_165846.jpg

Worth it. Totally worth it. If you find yourself driving between Orlando and Tampa between now and the end of November, may I recommend stopping at Parkesdale Market and ordering the Pumpkin Milkshake? The rich pumpkin flavor is spot on, I would almost compare it to Jeremiah’s Pumpkin Ice (and that’s saying a lot because Jeremiah’s Pumpkin Ice is by far my favorite pumpkin-flavored thing out there). The milkshake also reminded me that I need to stock up on pumpkin puree and starting making pumpkin themed items at home. Pumpkin see is too short not to live it up while you can!

What’s your favorite seasonal pumpkin item? I’d say Jeremiah’s Pumpkin Ice is at the top, then the Parkesdale Pumpkin Milkshake, and finally Cigar City’s Good Gourd beer. ;)

Before I left this afternoon, I had a good snack at home (Oikos Superfruit yogurt, walnuts, and granola)

And even started dinner

IMG_2096.JPG

I <3 my crockpot – it’s just so easy!

I layered:

• sweet potato
  • onion
  • 1 bag of split pea
  • leftover chicken breast
  • seasonings
  • water

Then I set it for medium and returned home to this:

It’s hard to make split peas look pretty, but I promise it was good.

I really enjoyed the bites of chicken in the soup. It was a nice change up from the traditional ham.

Now I’m enjoying a cup of hot tea and am ready for bed.

Good Night!

1 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 10, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Split peas are so yummy, it doesn’t matter if they’re ugly!! Have you ever had split pea and sweet pea soup? Basically what you did with the split peas, and sweet potato, but also add sweet peas, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, and peppers (if you like them, I don’t) for a bit of pizzaz and any spices you enjoy (I like curry, cumin, and tumeric). So excellent!!
I have to say, I’m more about the pumpkin itself and not pumpkin-seasonal flavoured goodies. I was all about the pumpkin protein pancakes for dinner after practice tonight though — YUM!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..WIAW — Trying New Things!

2 Iris Lee October 10, 2012 at 10:49 pm

That pumpkin milkshake looks heavenly! I want some. :) And yay crockpot! Split peas are so tasty and nutritious – thanks for reminding me to get some (bulk bins all the way!)!
Iris Lee recently posted..Hello from Philly!

3 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 10, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Now I REALLY want to fly to Florida get a pumpkin milkshake!
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..5 Things

4 Cher @ Weddicted October 11, 2012 at 6:23 am

That looks good! It’s too bad my husband would never eat that, because I don’t know what I’d do with an entire crockpot full of soup! Give some away/freeze some I suppose?
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Bridesmaids in Rain Boots

5 Meghann October 11, 2012 at 11:21 am

When I lived on my own I used to make huge batches of soup all the time and freeze the leftovers (in individual portions) for quick meals later on. Soup (especially split pea soup!) reheats really well. I’m actually a little sad that now Derek and I live together, that I don’t get to save as much leftovers as I used to. Derek just polished off the serving of soup we had leftover from last night for lunch! :)

6 Katie @ Meet Me At The Finishline October 11, 2012 at 6:27 am

I am LOVING the pumpkin season! I have been having an almond butter and pumpkin butter sandwich every morning for breakfast… Darn TJs impulse buying ;) I just the season. I made pumpkin black bean enchiladas the other day too that we to die for. Wish we had all of the healthy dining options that you have, but real how bad can a pumpkin milkshake be for you? ;)

7 Meghann October 11, 2012 at 11:24 am

Pumpkin black bean enchiladas? Holy crap, those sound good!

8 Beka @ rebecca roams October 11, 2012 at 6:45 am

I really need to use my crockpot more, too. Great idea for the chicken swap – I love split pea soup- well most soups in general are a W in my book.
Beka @ rebecca roams recently posted..14 (Running) Things to Know About Me

9 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 11, 2012 at 8:11 am

That pumpkin milkshake sounds heavenly! I want one! :) I used my crockpot last night too. I love easy crockpot meals.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Crockpot Dinner…

10 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run October 11, 2012 at 8:20 am

Did you try their strawberry cookies? SO good. They had them at CL BlogCon this year and I had several of them.
I totally forgot about Jeremiah’s pumpkin ice. That should be back on the menu by now so I might have to make a trip this weekend. :-)
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Three Things Thursday: Blog Love

11 Meghann October 11, 2012 at 11:23 am

I did not have one, but just about every person I’ve talked to who attended CFL BlogCon can’t stop talking abou them. Apparently I need to jump on the strawberry cookie train ASAP.

12 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 11, 2012 at 8:32 am

My favorite is my pumpkin pie oats! Perfect on a cold morning
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

13 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 11, 2012 at 8:59 am

Yum! I tried a pumpkin smoothie recipe recently that I did not like but this sounds pretty straight forward and sweet. I may have to have this for dessert tonight :) pumpkin pie is still my fav pumpkin flavored treat. Can’t beat it!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..A guide to intervals and where to stay in Tallahassee

14 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 11, 2012 at 9:12 am

That pumpkin milkshake looks fantastic! I wish I had plans to go to Florida soon :)
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..WIAW or The One With The Empty PB Jar

15 Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward October 11, 2012 at 9:35 am

Split Pea Soup used to be my favorite thing to eat when I was younger. My grandpa always made it!
Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward recently posted..Look back to Prepare for the Future

16 Emily N October 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

Eh, pretty or not, it looks super hearty and filling ! (and warm!)
Emily N recently posted..The Tigers Blow it, and I get no Sleep