Just Fork It

by Meghann on October 9, 2012

It’s the return of spaghetti squash!

IMG_2059.JPG

I can’t tell you how excited I was to spot spaghetti squash in the produce section for a decent price over the weekend. I love the stringy squash and always miss it over the summer.

This evening I cut the squash in half and baked it (face down) for 45 minutes at 375. Once they were out of the oven, I flipped the halves over and let them cool for 15 minutes (at least!) before taking a fork to them.

IMG_2063.JPG

You know the squash is done, when it takes little to no effort to fork the squash out of its shell. This one came out like butter. :)

Unfortunately I wasn’t as impressed with the chicken I cooked to go with the squash. It was pretty meh. I experimented with a sauce and it failed. It was still edible, but I wouldn’t pass the recipe along to friends (or attempt making it again).

IMG_2071.JPG

Can’t win them all.

Earlier this afternoon I had a package of steam-in-a-bag edamame as an afternoon snack (Derek shared)

IMG_2058.JPG

And I had the last piece of a dark chocolate bar for dessert.

IMG_2085.JPG

You may have noticed that I’ve been cutting back in the dessert department lately. I’m the first to admit that my nightly desserts were getting a little out of control and I’m trying to reign the sweet tooth cravings back in. I’m not giving up desserts completely, just not having ice cream every night. I’m working on revamping my eating habits as I dive into “Operation Bridal Shape Up” (post coming soon!) and dessert is definitely one of my biggest weaknesses (I <3 dessert!).

Alright, time to sleep.

Good night!

1 Irina @ Chocolatea Time October 9, 2012 at 10:06 pm

I JUST made spaghetti squash too! I love it. I added in a scrambled egg and veggies – it’s going to be my work lunch tomorrow :)
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..Runner’s Quiz

2 Christine (The Raw Project) October 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Ha, spaghetti squash night here too. :-) So simple, healthy and fun!
Christine (The Raw Project) recently posted..Apple Cinnamon Dressing

3 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I used that method to cook a baking pumpkin today. Ohmygoodness, are they ever fabulous!! So addicted. I’m a total fan of spaghetti squash too. Can’t beat the gourds!
Oh, Meghann — I wanted to thank you for plugging Yelp. I started Yelping because you made it sound like such a fun community. Today, my first review was chosen as Review of the Day. I’m so excited!! Thanks for introducing me to a fabulous new community! :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Today was … Dare I say it …

4 Meghann October 10, 2012 at 9:04 am

Congrats, Chelsie! That’s huge! Well done! :)

5 Liz @ The Lemon Bowl October 9, 2012 at 10:13 pm

You mean nightly ice cream isn’t healthy? Whoopsies…. ;-) I’m glad Summer is over- crave ice cream much less when it’s cold out!
Liz @ The Lemon Bowl recently posted..Fattoush {Middle Eastern Bread Salad}

6 Michelle October 9, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Nothing wrong with a little ice cream. Lately my addiction is Greek frozen yogurt.
Michelle recently posted..New Beginnings

7 Meghann October 10, 2012 at 9:05 am

Totally agree! I just think I need to cut back how many times a week I was eating it. ;)

8 Megan @ Megan's Munchies October 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I haven’t even thought about spaghetti squash in so long!! Definitely putting that on the grocery list!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..Welcome to Texas Trader Joe’s

9 Annette @FitnessPerks October 9, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I had spag squash a few nights ago–yumm!!

Desserts have been lessened as I’ve amped up my intensity & added in more weight training. So much easier to reign it in when I know my hard work won’t go to waste/be derailed! good luck :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Intensity In Fitness Training

10 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 9, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Dessert is my weakness too! I have to work really hard to resist the urge to have something sweet after EVERY meal. Willpower baby!
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..Daxton’s First Trip to the Dentist

11 Becky @ runfundone October 10, 2012 at 1:01 am

I just discovered spaghetti squash recently! I made it for dinner 2 weeks ago, and treated it as spaghetti, with marinara sauce and meatballs. My husband complained beforehand, thinking it would be awful. He ended up admitting that it was alright!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Leavenworth Oktoberfest

12 Army Amy* October 10, 2012 at 2:59 am

The hardest part about making spaghetti squash is waiting for it to cool before digging in! I always end up burning my hands because I just can’t help myself.*
Army Amy* recently posted..And So We Meet Again

13 Meghann October 10, 2012 at 9:07 am

I hear ya on that! That’s why I didn’t start cooking the chicken until the spaghetti squash had been in there a while, that way I knew I still had 15 minutes after the squash was done until the chicken was ready, which gave me time to let it cool. :)

14 Laura October 10, 2012 at 6:09 am

Yum. Looks so good! I’ll have to look into getting some soon! :)
Laura recently posted..Hella Good Hon Workout Wednesdays

15 Karen October 10, 2012 at 6:35 am

Yum spaghetti squash. Can’t wait to make the first spa squash of the season. I feel ya with the desserts. I’ve been trying to cut back too. It’s def my weakness.
Karen recently posted..I’m on the DailyBuzz Healthy Living Top 9!

16 Cher @ Weddicted October 10, 2012 at 6:42 am

I was the same way before my wedding – I have a serious sweet tooth and cutting back on desserts was an easy way to keep the extra weight off. That and mindlesss snacking throughout the day (a bite here, a bite there).
Anyway, you’ll look great!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Flowers: Baby’s breath

17 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 10, 2012 at 6:42 am

Spaghetti squash is a great fall staple! Yummy!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..A Rainy NYC Run

18 Jena October 10, 2012 at 6:59 am

One way I cut out snacking after dinner was drinking hot tea- I drink hot tea while i’m sitting on the couch watching TV .. Most of the time it kills whatever craving I’m having.
Jena recently posted..Where the ocean meets the sand

19 Meghann October 10, 2012 at 9:08 am

I have a cup of tea every night before bed. Even when it’s 100 degrees outside, I think it’s a comfort thing. :)

20 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 10, 2012 at 7:29 am

I love spaghetti squash and I don’t make it nearly enough! I definitely see myself picking one up this weekend to cook. Yum :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Ninja Cooking System Event!…

21 Danielle @ Long May You Run October 10, 2012 at 8:51 am

FYI, you can cut your cooking time way down by microwaving the squash. Cut it as you normally would and add it to a microwave safe dish (I use a large tupperware container but anything that’s big enough will work). Add a few inches of water and cover with plastic wrap, microwave for about 15 minutes and let cool. If you don’t have a dish large enough, you can cut your squash down to fit whatever your largest dish is.
Danielle @ Long May You Run recently posted..Marathon Training Week 8

22 Meghann October 10, 2012 at 9:09 am

Thanks for the tip, I’ve never tried cooking the squash in the microwave before.

23 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife October 10, 2012 at 9:04 am

I love edamame and spaghetti squash. I have seen so many different ways to make it on blogs lately. Did you know you could boil it and put it in the microwave? crazy!
Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Stuffed Green Pepper Casserole

24 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 10, 2012 at 9:59 am

I’ve really wanted to try spaghetti squash. I haven’t see any yet. Gotta keep looking!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..….And Give Strength To Body and Soul Alike.

25 Stephanie October 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Is the steam-in-a-bag edamame good?

26 Meghann October 12, 2012 at 10:18 am

YES! They are my favorite snack. I just buy the Publix brand and do a good shake of sea salt on them when they’re done. Better than popcorn in my opinion. :)