My First WOD

by Meghann on October 8, 2012

Guess what? I survived my first WOD today!

20121008_145343.jpg

WOD = CrossFit Workout of the Day

CrossFit is something I’ve been meaning to try for a while now. To be honest, everyone I know that has tried CrossFit has LOVED it and usually has nothing but awesome things to say about it. Their enthusiasm is enough to get me on board! Plus, it gives results – those same friends now have killer arms and look STRONG and fit. I want to have killer arms and look strong and fit too!

But, as much as I’ve been wanting to try it, my wallet hasn’t been as enthused about the idea. CrossFIT is NOT cheap (nor are any other specialty fitness classes or gyms for that matter). So I held back. I trained for my upcoming 70.3, kept up with some strength training at my Y, and started to save. My goal was to join after my 70.3 at the end of the month, but I grew a little impatient and decided to reach out a little early.

I’m just going to put this out there – I’m the stereotypical bride who wants to look her best at her wedding, and I believe CrossFit will help me reach that goal. I’m not ashamed of that fact, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to look your best on one of the biggest days of your life, but it is what it is. And I was completely up front with that fact when I reached out to my local CrossFit box last week.

And can I say how excited I am that there’s a box on my side of town? Sometimes I feel like all the cool fitness stuff is completely on the other side of town, but this box is in MY neck of the woods and NOT 30 minutes away. I love South Tampa, but we need more cool stuff over here too. I think proximity of the box will alleviate a lot of excuses in the future and I’ll be that much more likely to stick with it.

So I found my local box’s website and read just about every piece of info they had. Since I knew nothing about CrossFit (and had no idea where to start or how the classes went) I decided to reach out via email on where to begin.

I’m sorry for the random email, but I was looking for more info on the website and decided emailing the source directly might be a little easier. I’m thinking about starting CrossFit in the next couple of weeks (I’m the cliche bride-to-be who wants to get in shape for her wedding day), but was a little confused with how to actually start. I saw that I would be required to take an intro class, but didn’t see what time the class/session was given. Help?

Thanks!

The owner, Paula, was prompt in her response.

That’s what we’re here for. We have 2 ways to try the group classes if that’s what you’re interested in. If you’re familiar with CrossFit and the movements we offer a 1 Week Free Trial to see how you like the classes. If someone isn’t familiar I offer a complimentary private introduction (by appt) where I go over CF, your goals, exercise history and we go through a CF workout tailored to your current fitness level to determine the best way for you to begin. If you’re interested in private training we also start with the intro.

Please let me know if you’d like to set up an Intro or if you’re familiar with CF and the movements arrive 5 to 10 min prior to any regularly schedule Open class to give it a try.

Since I was a CrossFit newbie, I decided to take Paula up on the complimentary private introduction, and I’m so glad I did. It ended up being the perfect introduction to CrossFit. I set an appointment at met Paula at the box this afternoon.

20121008_145426.jpg

We started with a questionaire about my current activity level, then Paula introduced me to the WOD board.

20121008_155132.jpg

That’s actually not the workout I did, she created one that was a little easier to give me a taste of what a typical workout would be.

The workout was divided into three parts: warm-up, skill set, and WOD. The warm-up was meant to get the blood pumping, the skill set was meant to review the skills for the WOD, and the WOD was a combination of thrusters, swings, and vertical climb (2-3 RFT = rounds for time).

I’ll admit, I went in a little cocky. The workout seemed so small went it was written out, clearly I could handle this. 2-3 RFT? Please, I could 3 and still feel good. Ha! I was wrong!

I was already feeling sweaty and worked after the warm–up she put me through. Then we got to the thrusters and swings, and she decided to up my weight. I started the WOD and all that cockiness disappeared. After one round, I was breathing heavy and sweating hard. I needed a small break before the second, but kept at it. Then I finished the second round and Paula asked if I wanted to do the third. I wanted to do it – I wanted to prove I could push myself – but I also wanted to catch my breath, I wanted my heart rate to come back down, and I wanted to take a break. I told her I was good with two.

That little workout was enough to sell me. If I felt like this after one mini session, can you imagine how exhausted I’d feel after a real class? Sign me up!

Thankfully Paula offered me a new student deal – buy one month, get one free. Still a little pricey, but better than paying full price! I handed over my credit card and am happy to report that I now have unlimited access to my new box until December. Sweet!

So we’ll see. I’m hoping to do CrossFit three times a week from now until the end of the month. After that I’ll play it by ear. I’m still very, very new to this CrossFit thing so just consider this day one. Who knows? I may hate it by the time my months are up and want out or I might love it and never want to leave. I’m willing to see where this new adventure takes me.

Have you ever tried CrossFit? What did you think?

After my CrossFit introduction, I came home and had a serving of nuts with Cheerios.

IMG_2032.JPG

And had a beer while Derek and I prepped dinner.

IMG_2034.jpg

We made fajitas!

IMG_2041.JPG

Steak fajitas with onions, spinach, feta, and guacamole.

IMG_2046.JPG

Roasted broccoli on the side.

IMG_2045.JPG

I updated the wedding page! Sweetheart or Head table ?

Good night!

1 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 8, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Great job on the WOD! I just noticed today that they opened a CrossFit box in my small-ish town, and because it’s rare that something so trendy would come to my town when it’s still trendy (it took Zumba two years to get here), I kind of want to try it. I don’t know if I could handle it though, it looks so intimidating!

2 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 8, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Welcome to the CrossFit club! I’ve been doing it since June and looove it. Man – the WODs that you look at on the board and say “Eh- this doesn’t look too bad” are always the ones that kill ya! Thrusters are from the devil. I’m sure you are going to rock it out at CrossFit and look killer for your big day! So excited to read more about your CrossFit adventures!

3 Caroline October 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I’ve never done Crossfit but I’d sure love to try! I’ve done a HIIT work out once and I was SO SORE afterwards, but I loved it!

4 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 8, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I’ve never done crossfit but I’ve been wanting to try it too! I’m in a contract at my gym until Dec. so maybe I’ll try it after that. I’m glad to hear you liked it.

5 Megan October 8, 2012 at 10:23 pm

My husband does CrossFit. He’s put me thru a couple of the work outs in our yard bc I originally was saying they didn’t seem that hard… He had amazing results, too. are you going to do the paleo diet, too? Would be nice for new meal ideas… Lol!

6 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run October 9, 2012 at 8:29 am

I second this comment! Go Paleo because I’m out of ideas of what to eat. ;-) And you know it’s all about me.

7 Becky @ runfundone October 8, 2012 at 10:26 pm

That’s so fun! I would love to try crossfit, but there’s no way that I’d ever pay for it. The prices are ridic! Let us know how it ends up going for you!

8 Jessica October 8, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I’m so happy you liked it!! I’ve been doing crossfit for about a month now and love what it’s done for me! My only word of advice is to listen to your body because I’ve had several friends from different boxes be pushed to do too much weight and then gotten injured… I had to scale myself back today and it sucks but it’s better than being down for the count! Can’t wait to hear about your next class :)

9 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 8, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I definitely wish there was a box closer to my house. I’d love to at least give it a shot! But with the nearest one so far away, I would never be able to justify it. Perhaps someday!! And congrats on listening to your body and not doing the third round — never an easy thing to do!

10 Jenna October 8, 2012 at 10:58 pm

I’ve been doing Crossfit for over a year, and I absolutely love it. I’m not sure what swings, or a vertical climb are? And how many reps did you do of each? What was your weight did you use? Thrusters are the worst!!

11 Laura October 8, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I d

12 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 8, 2012 at 11:37 pm

I’m glad you got to try crossfit, I’d also love to! And no shame in wanting to look good on your wedding day, you’ll look back at those photos forever, plus you want to feel amazing!

13 Alexandra @ Alexandra in Moscow October 8, 2012 at 11:45 pm

So many people are doing Cross Fit! I would love to try it sometime (for a similar selfish reason of getting toned), but am slightly afraid it will be too difficult for me – haha no cockiness here!

14 Elisabeth October 9, 2012 at 12:24 am

To be honest, I originally thought I might want to try Crossfit, but now I’m mostly just sick of EVERYONE (it seems like…) turning their blogs into all Crossfit, all the time (when they used to discuss many interesting topics). I definitely think it’s a cool workout choice, but I also think a lot of people seem to give up on their other fitness/health activities once they ‘discover’ Crossfit… Sorry to say I haven’t drank the Crossfit Kool-Aid ;)

15 Elisabeth October 9, 2012 at 12:25 am

Oh, and I definitely think there is nothing wrong with being the ‘stereotypical’ bride getting in shape for her wedding. Of course you want to look your best! :D

16 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 9, 2012 at 12:28 am

after reading about everyone’s amazing experiences with cross fit i’ve wanted to try it so badly! i always ended up a little bit confused reading crossfit posts, though, because there’s so much terminology i don’t know! i can’t wait to see how it goes for you and if you like it – someday i’d definitely love to try it!

17 Hope October 9, 2012 at 12:34 am

Interesting to read your review of your first WOD! Please please don’t turn your blog into a crossfit crossfit crossfit blog. So many people out there are turning their once interesting blogs into a shrine to crossfit and it gets real old, real quick. I think it’s fine to enjoy a new kind of fitness and im keen to give it a go once I pop this baby out, but please don’t let it entirely take over your blog!

18 Cait @ Beyond Bananas October 9, 2012 at 6:16 am

If you don’t mind me asking.. what is the monthly charge for CF in Florida?

19 Jamie October 9, 2012 at 11:17 am

my box is $150/month for unlimited… I’d say that’s pretty standard (for Orlando) maybe even a little on the low side.

20 Meghann October 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm

This box is $150

21 Kati October 9, 2012 at 6:35 am

good luck with the cross fit….although I have to say that when other bloggers have gotten into crossfit, they become so obsessed with it that their blogs become quite boring and I quit reading.

22 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 9, 2012 at 7:26 am

Awesome job! I’ve been wanting to try CrossFit for a while. I know it’s just a matter of time before I get addicted…I need to rip the Band-Aid off and just DO IT! There’s nothing wrong with admitting you want to look your best on your wedding day. It’s not cliche..just normal.

23 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 9, 2012 at 8:26 am

Wanting to get in shape and look great for your wedding is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of – I know I’ll be saying the exact same thing once I get to that point in my life.

I’m glad you liked Crossfit! I’ve been hoping to try it out, but I’m having trouble with the cost too. It does not make the student wallet happy.

24 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run October 9, 2012 at 8:27 am

Crossfit is my homeboy. I love it more than running. It never gets easier because there’s always a new challenge and I’m always sore the next day, so I know I’m still getting stronger. I’ve been doing it for 2 years now and I lurve it. <3

25 Dori October 9, 2012 at 8:29 am

There’s a CrossFit opening down the block from my apartment soon. I’m looking forward to trying it out and having a workout option closer (right now I take a 30-35 minute trip each way!). At mine, they make you take 8 Fundamentals classes before you’re allowed to join a regular class. I really like that, it shows they care about your form and making sure you understand the basics. I signed up for those (mostly because my company will cover the entire price) so I can get a better understanding and learn the movements. I hope to use it to supplement my regular workouts on days I don’t want to travel, but I don’t plan to make it my main workout. Anyway, I look forward to hearing about your experiences at CrossFit!

26 Ashley October 9, 2012 at 8:39 am

I’ve never been to an actual crossfit gym, but did crossfit style workouts with a trainer for a month. Only doing them twice a week for a month + training for a half and I lost 3.5% body fat in four weeks, going from 21% to 17.5%. Definitely love the workout style, but I’m bad at committing to it by myself. And the crossfit gyms are so expensive and generally don’t offer childcare :o(. Hopefully after I pop out kiddo number I can get back into those style workouts a little more. I loved how toned I was!

27 Cher @ Weddicted October 9, 2012 at 8:45 am

Definitely no shame in wanting to look your best for your wedding day! I look back at my pictures and I am so glad that I was disciplined before the wedding (especially when you’re 1) too busy to work out and 2) surrounded by parties and celebrations all for YOU and there is so much good food and drink!). Good for you.
I have never seen a CrossFit studio where I am or any of the larger surrounding cities, but I would like to give it a try, perhaps with a private intro. class if possible, like what you did. Seems like a good idea!

28 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife October 9, 2012 at 8:58 am

i loveeee crossfit! you are going to love it too! (: It definitely makes you stronger and more defined and you never get bored with it! Plus BOGO at CrossFit now that is a deal! It is worth every penny trust me I am saving up for my wedding too but this is one activity I don’t mind spending money for! I’ll work the couple hours of overtime to pay for it!

29 Becky October 9, 2012 at 8:58 am

My husband and I just started crossfit a couple of weeks ago. Our box requires a Foundations set of classes to learn all the skills and we finished that last night. Looking forward to our first official WOD tomorrow morning. Loving it so far!!! I wish I had started back when I was prepping for my wedding…

30 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 9, 2012 at 9:16 am

I’m so psyched you’re going to be doing Crossfit! Every time I look at the WOD and think it looks easy, it ends up being one of the hardest workouts. To the same end, sometimes the hard ones (ie: Murph) end up not being nearly as bad as you think.
Can’t wait to hear what you think of it all. I’m addicted and try to convince every one I know to try it :)

31 Megan October 9, 2012 at 9:30 am

totally agree on Murph! i thought I was going to die during that one- it wasn’t as bad as I thought!

32 Megan October 9, 2012 at 9:30 am

I loveeeeeeeeeee crossfit. I was in your shoes almost a year ago!! I looked at the white board in my first intro class and said ‘piece of cake”. I was definitely laying on the ground dying for water at the end!! I have grown to love all the Olympic lifting- you feel so powerful when you are deadlifting almost twice your body weight! Everyone at Crossfit is so warm and welcoming too. It’s a great way to meet new people. Hope you love it! Keep up the lifting and your arms are gonna look fab!

33 Jill E. October 9, 2012 at 10:06 am

i have been doing crossfit for just under 3 months (thanks to a sweet groupon). I hope i can continue but money is always a factor. I am super glad you are trying crossfit. i can’t wait to hear your opinion on it. in the past months i have seek out blogs that are more crossfit related so i can hear others experience. i like your voice that is why i read you blog. i have no interested in doing 70.3 myself but i still love hearing about it. i hope you blog continues to change with you that’s what makes blog so great they are ever changing.

34 Emily N October 9, 2012 at 10:59 am

Great work. I have only gone once, and it was to a group class. I LOVED it, but in the middle of marathon training when I rarely made it to the gym, it is tough to justify the expense. Someday though. For sure.

35 Katie October 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Congrats!!! I just started CF myself and I really like it. I like the people, the support and the trainer. I don’t feel embarassed about how slow I am because people just support me being there. That’s a new feeling that I really appreciate. Have fun and enjoy!

36 Beka @ rebecca roams October 9, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I’m contemplating signing up for Crossfit here in Brandon since my gym is on the decline :/ The price does turn me off a bit, but so many people have nothing but great things to say!

37 Nicky from CFJag October 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I’m glad you liked our box! You will love it. Been there about two years and as a bride to be myself you will get what you’re looking for.
PS: watch the starches if you are trying to lean out.

38 Leslie M October 10, 2012 at 7:15 am

How much is it? Thanks

39 Jenn October 17, 2012 at 11:21 pm

welcome to the cult :) I’m so addicted it’s not even funny! Great first day!