Ride and Run

by Meghann on October 7, 2012

40 miles on the bike.

3 miles by foot.

Consider this brick busted. ;)

Last week I butted in on a Twitter conversation Jess was having fellow Tampa friends, asking if anyone was interested in a bike ride on Sunday. I messaged back with a “Me! Me! Me!” I had planned on doing a solo bike ride early Saturday morning, but having a friend sounded so much better than going alone. Luckily she didn’t butt me back out and we agreed on a meeting time and place. This morning I set my alarm for the not-so-scary time of 6:30, had a toasted waffle with peanut butter on my way out the door, and met Jess at a local trail head.

20121007_092840.jpg 20121007_092847.jpg

Bike rides with friends are so much better than cycling alone. I warned Jess ahead of time that I’m a talker in the saddle and she gave me the go ahead that she was too. We spent the whole time gabbing about everything under the sun, which was nice since it meant we got to know each other a little better.

The trail we picked consisted of a giant 7 mile loop with a 2 mile tail attached from the parking lot to the loop. The first loop seemed to drag on forever, but after that, I swear it felt like they were getting shorter and shorter. I’m still on the fence on how I feel about trails that are loops. One one hand it was nice knowing what was coming next, on the other it was awfully tempting every time we drove by the tail to take it back to the car. ;)

We completed 2 full loops then stopped for a break. I had 1/2 a Chewy bar, then finished the other half on my final loop. I also had another Chewy bar before my run.

20121007_092837.jpg

Jess stayed around for 3 loops, then I was on my own for the last. I had packed my running shoes just in case I had it in me for a post-ride run. As I started the trail tail back to the car, I felt great – bring on the running shoes!

I started my run right around 11:00. It was hot and sunny, but luckily the side of the trail had a decent amount of shade.

20121007_113259.jpg

And I came prepared with lots of water. Water = lifesaver in the heat!

20121007_113305.jpg

I have a little secret. I don’t hate bricks, I actually enjoy them. For some reason my splits are always faster right off the bike – I think that’s because my legs are so excited to get off the bike – they just want to move! What I don’t like about bricks is how HOT it is by the time the run starts. That’s partially my fault for starting the bike portion at 8:00am instead of 6:00am, but the yearning to sleep always wins in that war. Plus, the 11:00am running conditions are more likely what I’m going to face in Miami at the end of the month. So while I might not enjoy it, I know the heat training will pay off in the long run.

20121007_113322.jpg

On another note, LOVED wearing my new Lululemon cycling jersey today.

eff9b75c109f11e2868f22000a1f97ea_7.jpg

I had pinned the Lululemon jersey months ago, but it was a little out of my budget at full price. A couple of weeks ago Mary noticed it was listed for 40% off on the Lululemon website and sent me the link. It took me approximately 5.5 seconds before I had my credit card out and was ordering it.

I ordered my usual Lululemon size and it fit like a glove. The material is light and airy, which is perfect for riding in the Florida heat. It’s also super comfortable and even cuter in person than it is in photos (love the fit – very flattering). The pockets in the back are big (I had my ipod, phone, Chewy bar, and car key back there comfortably) and it’s nice and long.

My only complaint is that the shirt doesn’t come with built in support, otherwise it’s the perfect cycling jersey. Now I need to stalk the Lululemon website to see if any more pop up at a reduced rate. ;)

What do you ride in on the bike? Do you have a favorite cycling jersey?

I was famished by the time I made it home and quickly pulled together a brunch of leftover pizza, eggs, and peach.

20121007_123741.jpg

An odd combination, but it did the job of filling my belly. :)

I think it’s time for a nap. I hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday!

1 Sue October 7, 2012 at 3:13 pm

You are super inspiring!! I wish I had the motivation and determination that you have. Also, love the cycling Jersey!

2 Megan @ Megan's Munchies October 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm

That cycling jersey is beyond cute! Love it!
Megan @ Megan’s Munchies recently posted..We Interrupt the Cupcake Making For…Free Sunglasses!

3 Yo Momma Runs October 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I love exercising with friends. I don’t even care how fast or slow we are going because it’s so much fun to talk! And your lunch is perfect. I love to throw together all the random leftovers in my house to make a meal.
Yo Momma Runs recently posted..Icing and a half marathon playlist

4 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City October 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I’m a much faster runner right off the bike too! I think that my legs are used to moving faster and they just want to go. Actually, my 5k PR is from a triathlon. Pretty weird right?

I also had no idea Lululemon made cycling jerseys! I was going to pay them a visit soon (I need more long sleeved shirts- it’s getting cold in Chicago!), I’ll have to see if they have any jerseys.
Lindsay @ Running the Windy City recently posted..Marathon Training Week 9 {Goofy Challenge}

5 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy October 7, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Bricks are the WORST! But, they make me feel THE BEST! Way more of a sense of accomplishment than just a run or cycle!
Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy recently posted..Confession Time. (or, I have a thing for novelty shirts)

6 Cher @ Weddicted October 7, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I love when Lululemon goes on sale. I have my eyes peeled for a sweater!
Pizza for breakfast is great! Usually I top with a dippy egg.

7 Meg October 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Just a little tip.. Lululemon uploads their new (full priced) items early Tuesday mornings and the sale items are updated late Thursday night ;) things sell out quick so I always check during those times

8 Meghann October 7, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Thanks for the tip!

9 meghan October 7, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Nice job Meghann! That’s great that you got a run in without having pre-planned it. Where is that trail? The area where you are on your bike looks so nice, and I know I’m going to need to be changing the scenery up in the coming months. And I love lululemon, but also find the prices so high. The quality is so great, though.
meghan recently posted..HCSO 15k Recap and Weekly Workout Linkup

10 Meghann October 7, 2012 at 10:09 pm

We were at Flatwoods. It’s in New Tampa.

11 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 7, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Wow! You had a busy morning. I LOVE lulumon but I can only afford their stuff when its on sale!! I’m going to have to keep checking their site for that cycling jersey. It is ADORABLE!
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..Breakfast and a Reflective Run

12 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 7, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Wait, Lulu makes cycling tanks?! Where have I been? (I know where I’m going tomorrow. ;)) I usually wear Sugoi or Pearl Izumi cycling gear, but given this Lulu info., my go-to apparel might change.
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..The Art of the Trajectory

13 Meghann October 7, 2012 at 10:08 pm

They do! But not every store sells them. Look online – that’s how I found this one!

14 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 7, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Of course you were hungry when you got home!! That was quite the workout! (A training buddy and I ran a 20km long run today — I love Sundays for long workouts. There’s just a feeling of peace and freedom you can’t quite apply to a workout any other day of the week.)
Very cute top — I used to work at Lululemon and I’m still in love with their clothes. Unfortunately, they’re all out of my price range, so I’m a website stalker too. ;)
I am a commuter biker, but don’t think I’d be that great of a racer. However, I think that when I’m older (late 30s-40s) I’m going to transition into triathlons from running (if my body is still in one piece!!), so I’ll probably take it up more competitively at that point.
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Thoughts from a GI Health Coach

15 Kelsey October 7, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Someone told me about hukkster…you can hukk items and it tells you when they go on sale (sorry this sounds spammy, I don’t work for them or anything!)
Kelsey recently posted..Comment on Paperback Love by Bethaney

16 Jessica October 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Were you at flatwoods? Looks like my old running trail back when I lived in Tampa! That jersey looks great on you :)

17 Meghann October 7, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Yes, we were there. The trail is a little bit of a drive for me, but it was a fun change from the normal routine. :)

18 Sarah K October 7, 2012 at 7:56 pm

My parents bought me a new jersey for my bike trip and I really liked the sleeveless style. In the heat the difference between fabric on your shoulders/upper arms and no fabric there makes a surprisingly large difference.
Sarah K recently posted..Bike Trip Motivational Thoughts

19 Karen October 7, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I don’t really cycle but I looovvveee that top! I had a late start to my run this morning too and paid the price with the heat. Some fall temps would really be nice so that I can sleep in and not melt during my runs :)
Karen recently posted..Running while mourning the fall of the Seminoles

20 NYC Fit Girl October 7, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I have a different lulu top in that pattern and I love it! I would love to do more biking but unfortunately my small nyc apartment doesn’t have room for one.

21 BroccoliHut October 7, 2012 at 8:54 pm

That cycling jersey is ADORABLE. You look so cute in it!
BroccoliHut recently posted..Snacky.

22 Steph @ 321delish October 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

You rocked that cycling jersey! They had them at the Lulu outlet in Orlando and I tried it on and it was SO NOT Flattering on me! They even had the matching shorts, which I almost bought and a windbreaker too! I’m definitely hoping they’ll keep expanding their selection!
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..A Taste of Davis Islands

23 Beth October 8, 2012 at 9:01 am

Great brick lady! I like the lulu top. I will more than likely head to Miami to spectate so be on the look out for some M&M support signage… ;)
Beth recently posted..What’s next?

24 Meghann October 8, 2012 at 9:05 am

Sweet!!

25 Jessica October 8, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks again for the ride! We must do it again! :)
Jessica recently posted..Three Things Thursday

26 Emily N October 8, 2012 at 1:35 pm

It is a really cute jersey. I always am stalking the lulu website for their sale stuff!
Emily N recently posted..Baking while the Hubs is Away

27 Kat October 8, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Cute jersey fo sho! Jess is the best to chat with, sweetest person and so glad Beth introduced her to me too! :)
Kat recently posted..Motivational Monday: Featured Sneakers!

28 Jacqueline October 8, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I just wore the same cycling top at my first duathlon this weekend and love it too!
Your right, the fit is very flattering and comfy.