Quinoa Night

by Meghann on October 7, 2012

Tonight was a quinoa night.

IMG_2004.JPG

Gotta love quinoa, it’s my favorite go-to meal on a lazy night. You can add almost anything to it, and it’s guaranteed to be a good meal. For instance, tonight I roasted some parsnips, brussels sprouts, and carrots with salt and pepper while the quinoa cooked on the stove top. Once all the water was absorbed, I threw in a handful of spinach, added the roasted veggies, a can of garbanzo beans, feta cheese, and a spoonful of pesto to give it all a little flavor.

IMG_2008.JPG

20 minutes later, dinner was ready. Easy peasy.

What’s your favorite quinoa additions?

After a kick-butt bike ride and run this morning, I spent the majority of the afternoon running errands and being blissfully lazy. I stopped in a Smoothie King on my way to Publix and picked up an island themed drink that contained mango, pineapple, and papaya.

PicsArt_1349659767406.jpg

I’m honestly not sure if I’ve ever had Smoothie King before (besides mini post-race samples). I went in because I heard a rumor they had a seasonal pumpkin smoothie (lies! all lies!) and was impressed with the amount of options on their menu board (even if they were missing pumpkin). My smoothie was good (sweet, but not over the top) and the cashier was able to customize it to my taste without a problem (no sugar, strawberries instead of banana, etc). I wouldn’t have a problem returning for another. ;) (p.s. my mission when flying into D.C. this weekend will be to hunt down a pumpkin smoothie at a Jamba Juice. ;) )

Saw this on Facebook today and had to share.

3407_452154081494132_1351189867_n.jpg

Considering I did a FULL load today of just running clothes, I can totally relate. I even have a separate hamper for running clothes (that way they don’t stink up the other dirty clothes) AND they have a different detergent/ separate wash and dry cycle to help with the stink (my running clothes really stink). Everything else only makes up a small portion of our total laundry routine – my running clothes are my babies. ;)

What takes up the most room in your hamper?

It’s Sunday night and I’m ready to relax a little bit longer before bed.

Good night!

1 Sana October 7, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I just bought 2 $50 bras because I hated washing them in between use.
Sana recently posted..Howard County Striders Two Mile Race

2 Amanda October 7, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I have enough running clothes to constitute a separate load too! Ugh. And they really smell by the time laundry day rolls around, ewwww. I joked with my fiancé that last time I dumped them into the washer I swear a mini mushroom cloud formed over the lid.

3 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 8, 2012 at 12:22 am

I’m right there with you on the running clothes filling up my hamper. My husband has complained about the increase in our laundry since I started running!
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..This Weeks Meal Plan

4 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 8, 2012 at 1:29 am

Running clothes most definitely take up the most space in my laundry. I think this is especially fabulous because I don’t need to fold it all that carefully as it doesn’t really matter if it wrinkles. :)
I use quinoa in my breakfast cereal mix (overnight oats without the oats — using quinoa, ground flax, and chia seeds) — I like my quinoa sweet more than savoury. However, I do really like it stir fried with shrip/tofu and veggies as well. Yum!!

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 8, 2012 at 7:24 am

I definitely wash workout clothes more than anything!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Yogi-in-Training

6 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air October 8, 2012 at 7:43 am

Yummmmm – love quinoa and pesto! I love to make Mexican quinoa too, with black beans and corn and feta :)
Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air recently posted..Fun in the Florida Sun

7 Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted October 8, 2012 at 8:04 am

I’d love to hear what detergent everybody uses for their workout clothes!
Lauren @ Sweet and Twisted recently posted..An Early 4th of July

8 Meghann October 8, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I use WIN, but I’m not 100% happy with it (they still smell a little)

9 Caitlin October 8, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I use Seventh Generation Free and Clear. Fragrances make my skin go nuts and it doesn’t have any crazy chemicals in it.

10 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 8, 2012 at 8:14 am

That quinoa dish looks yummy! I always forget about quinoa. I need to make it more often :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Take Steps Walk & Roasted Maple & Mustard Chicken!…

11 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run October 8, 2012 at 8:24 am

Smoothie King is the only smoothies I like cuz they have a Gladiator smoothie that has 45g of protein and the only carbs come from the 2 fruits you choose. Usually smoothies have a crap ton of carbs (I’ve seen them up to 100g!)
I get that Gladiator smoothie for lunch probably twice a week. :-)
Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run recently posted..Out with the Old

12 Laura October 8, 2012 at 8:42 am

My laundry breaks down in a pretty similar way. Your quinoa dish sounds great by the way!
Laura recently posted..These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things… (4)

13 April October 8, 2012 at 8:50 am

I do the same with my quinoa, adding veggies, but I do big chops of raw vegetables and mix it with a little balsamic vinaigrette and add the feta. Love how versatile quinoa is!
April recently posted..Thank You for Being You, Friday!

14 Catherine October 8, 2012 at 8:57 am

What type of laundry detergent do you use for running clothes? I’ve been looking for one that would get my running clothes clean and the sweat smell out… No luck so far.

15 Meghann October 8, 2012 at 10:13 am

I have a bottle of WIN http://www.windetergent.com/ It doesn’t remove the smell completely, but it works better than any of the other detergents I’ve tried

16 Beth October 8, 2012 at 9:00 am

Lol! That’s totally my hamper. I hate laundry! I must make quinoa this week. It looks delish!
Beth recently posted..What’s next?

17 Lauren October 8, 2012 at 9:25 am

If you are ever in North Tampa, there are two Jamba Juices on the USF campus. Just saying.

18 Meghann October 8, 2012 at 11:59 am

Yes, but that’s a bit of a drive and requires parking on campus. I should go one time though, it would give me an excuse to see the campus since I’ve never been on it!

19 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 8, 2012 at 9:26 am

I def wash running clothes more than anything else. There is a tide sport that works pretty well at getting the funk out. I also make sure to keep the running clothes separate from other clithes. Smoothie King is amazing, one of the first places I go when home in Miami. I love how they can customize everything. I use quinoa allllll the time. I recently made stuffed peppers with it and it turned out great.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Mammary Monday

20 Meghann October 8, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I’ve tried Tide Sport in the past, but I didn’t see a noticeable difference between the sport and regular Tide as far as getting the stink out. Have you used it recently? Maybe they redid the formula and I should give it another try.

21 Cher @ Weddicted October 8, 2012 at 10:36 am

I like to add quiona to stir fries instead of rice. I don’t eat meat so it’s good source of protein.
And my husband’s work clothes take up the most space in our hamper!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Groomsmen gifts: Etsy edition

22 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 8, 2012 at 11:13 am

This is SO TRUE! I only do laundry when I’ve run out of running clothes and running socks!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Chicago Marathon Race Re-Cap

23 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Haha love that laundry chart! SO true, my hamper is basically entirely workout clothes most of the time.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Birthday Reflections

24 Liz October 8, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I love quinoa. I like it as a cold salad with cucumbers, corn tomatoes, etc. It is such a versatile ingredient. BTW I love the pie chart.
Liz recently posted..FD164- What the Hell is Runner High?….My Sore Feet Want to Know!

25 Emily N October 8, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I saw that as well. It is definitely the truth! Especially now with J training for his first (and likely, only!) half. Our hamper is ALL running stuff!
Emily N recently posted..Baking while the Hubs is Away

26 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 8, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Seriously – workout gear makes my laundry STIIIINK. Gotta try some of that extra strength sports detergent I guess!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..October Goals

27 Beka October 8, 2012 at 5:53 pm

The quinoa looks delicious! I love parsnips!

I’ve been using ALL and it has been doing a pretty good job…. but worse than my stinky workout clothes are my boyfriend’s stinky workout clothes…. I won’t even let him bring them in the house – they have a hamper in the garage. And I do not wash mine and his together – haha!
Beka recently posted..Weekly Workouts Roundup

28 BroccoliHut October 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Workout clothes definitely take up the most room in my hamper. Mine usually don’t stink too bad, but they’re usually sopping wet with sweat! So I keep them in a separate bag to keep them from getting the rest of my clothes wet.
BroccoliHut recently posted..Real Life House Hunters

29 Steph @ 321delish October 8, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Not sure there’s a Jamba in NoVa/DC. Check out Robeks, they have a pumpkin smoothie and it is yummy!!
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..You’ve Got to Go Fast to Get Fast