Pitch Perfect

by Meghann on October 6, 2012

What do you do with leftover sweet potato soup?

Make pizza with it – duh! πŸ˜‰

Good pizza, too!

The idea came to me last night when I was putting the leftover soup away and spotted the pizza dough I had purchased on Sunday thanks to a BOGO deal. The leftover soup was thick and resembled a marinara sauce – why not try it on the dough?

I found some brussels sprouts (every pizza needs a veggies), feta (pizza also needs cheese), and walnuts (just for fun) and got to work.

First, I quartered the brussels sprouts and roasted them at 400 for 10 minutes.

Then I spread the dough on a pizza pan.

Covered the dough with the soup

And finished with the brussels sprouts, feta, and walnuts.

The pizza baked at 400 for 20 minutes.

Such a fun, fall pizza with a twist. If you have leftovers in the fridge, don’t be afraid to get creative with them! You never know when a soup will turn into a pizza. πŸ˜‰

I had two pieces for lunch today. The sweet potato gave the pizza a nice sweet base which balanced out the saltiness of the feta perfectly. I was also digging the nice crunch the walnuts added.

I finished my work for the afternoon, then dug into a bowl of yogurt, cheerios, and fresh peach as an afternoon snack.

The snack was meant to hold me over through my not-so-successful dress shopping adventures. I have a wedding next weekend and not a thing in my closet to wear to it. Help! I left the mall empty handed, but a friend did lend me a couple of dresses that might work. I think shopping a friend’s closet is almost more fun than shopping at the mall. Am I right?

I dined solo tonight for dinner at Seasons 52.

Stephanie and I had plans to see Pitch Perfect (I’ll get to that in a second) and I had an hour to kill before the movie. My options were to eat a burger in the food court or dine by myself at one of the nearby restaurants. I chose to dine by myself. :)

I requested a table outside and found it really quiet and peaceful to just sit there. Sometimes it’s nice to just be alone. Plus, I can’t even remember the last time I ate at Seasons 52! What a treat!

I ordered the vegetarian platter and was pleasantly surprised with the amount of tasty options.

The taco was hands down my favorite, but you also can’t go wrong with a huge slice of roasted butternut squash. Yum.

For dessert, Stephanie and I split a dark chocolate bar (currently BOGO at Whole Foods) in the theater.

Now on to PItch Perfect.

Here’s my opinion: Go. See. This. Movie. Now.

Basically, it was everything a movie should be. It had a great plot, an adorable leading male and female, HILARIOUS dialogue (bonus points for not wasting all the zingers in the previews), and I left the theater immediately wanting to download the soundtrack. If I was at home, I would have pressed repeat – it was that good!

I would almost go as far to say it was my favorite movie of 2012. It’s not a movie that makes you think – it’s a movie that makes you laugh (without going ridiculously over the top).Major congrats to Anna Kendrick and Skylar Astin for nailing it.

Did you see Pitch Perfect? What did you think?

Alright, it’s way past my bedtime. Good night!

1 Kaitlyn October 6, 2012 at 8:21 am

I saw Pitch Perfect last weekend and was not expecting to like it at all, but I laughed the ENTIRE time! I completely agree with your review – one of my 2012 favs :)

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 6, 2012 at 9:34 am

So many amazing things about this post!! I LOVE your idea to use the soup as a base! Tomatoes tend to make my rosacea flare, so I usually avoid them — and thus, tend to avoid pizza. But this would actually be PERFECT!! I’m VERY much looking forward to trying it!
I love that you have the confidence to dine alone. Many women won’t (many people won’t, for that matter), and I think that’s really upsetting. Why should we need someone else with us to go enjoy a meal? Yes, company makes it more fun, but it’s not a necessity. Sometimes it’s nice just to take it all in silently, or get to know your waiter, or eavesdrop on other conversations (#guilty) …
I’m looking forward to seeing Pitch Perfect — I’ve definitely heard tell of its unexpected brilliance. Can’t wait!! :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Don’t Let It Get You Down

3 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 6, 2012 at 9:34 am

Again, I love how creative you are in the kitchen. Love this pizza idea!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..5 X 5 For Friday!

4 Steph October 6, 2012 at 9:37 am

So, would a Glee “hater” enjoy this? I’m tempted to drag the man….
Pizza looks good! But man, I have such a aversion to those little sprouts. I’ve GOT to find a way to like them! Everyone raves! What am I missing?
Steph recently posted..A new normal

5 Meghann October 6, 2012 at 9:56 am

This movie really isn’t anything like Glee. When they break into songs, it’s because they’re in competition or practicing, it isn’t out of nowhere. :)

Try roasting sprouts. Cute them in half so they get a little crisper – that’s the best way to eat them.

6 kimmy October 6, 2012 at 9:44 am

I really do think it was my favorite movie this year too! Bonus – my husband laughed non-stop as well.

7 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 6, 2012 at 9:47 am

I love this pizza idea! So perfect for fall. I never would have thought to do that. I have been dying to see pitch perfect. I need to plan a girls night though bc I don’t see the bf sitting through it.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Rosemary Chicken, Butternut Cous-Cous, and Easy Peasy Apple Pie

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 6, 2012 at 9:51 am

I haven’t even heard of pitch perfect! Granted I live under a pop culture rock… And what a creative pizza, I guess you can really put anything on a pizza as long as the toppings go well together! Reminds me of the summer camp I worked at – they had breakfast pizza!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..It’s time.

9 Life's a Bowl October 6, 2012 at 9:58 am

You’re so creative, I totally wanna make a “soup” pizza now! I’m not a big fan of leftovers in their original form aka soup one night, soup again the next night, but you’d never know that it’s the same ingredients!

P.S. I really wanna see PP but I can’t seem to convince my husband… Definitely gonna have to have a girls night πŸ˜›
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Peanut Buttery Chocolatey Breakfast

10 Kathy October 6, 2012 at 10:36 am

I am thinking the pizza looks great! YUM!

11 Ellen Hatfield October 6, 2012 at 11:51 am

I saw Pitch Perfect last night too and thought it was fabulous! I loved that there were plenty of funny moments beyond what was shown in the trailer. The first thing I did when I got home was download the soundtrack. I know what I’m listened to all weekend.
Ellen Hatfield recently posted..30 Day Photo Challenge: Days 24-30

12 ashley October 6, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I spent quite a few hours this week looking for a dress for a wedding! I really wanted a beautiful teal v-neck dress from loft but sadly they didn’t have any in my size in my area. I ended up with for only $20! Good luck in your search!

13 Em @ Yep. I Ate That. October 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm

What an ingenious use of soup leftovers! Looks delicious.
Em @ Yep. I Ate That. recently posted..Lackluster Beginnings Can Have Great Endings

14 kristina October 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I saw Pitch Perfect a few nights ago and went into the theatre having NO clue what the movie was about, who was in it etc., and LOVED it. I was laughing the entire time, and felt compelled to start singing and dancing in my seat. LOVED Rebel Wilson and Anna Kendrick!

15 kristina October 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm

16 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 6, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I haven’t seen that movie yet, but I want to!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Friday Things

17 Anna Portman October 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I went with friends last night to see Pitch Perfect because I needed a good laugh. I got more than a good laugh, I got 1.5 hours of hilariousness mixed with a great story and an ADORABLE leading male. It really was a fantastic movie and by FAR my favorite movie of 2012!!

18 Cher @ Weddicted October 6, 2012 at 9:56 pm

This post made me want to see Pitch Perfect! I haven’t seen a movie at the theatres in a long time, either!
And nice creativity with the pizza! :)
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Friday Favourites

19 Ct cupcake October 6, 2012 at 11:37 pm

That’s certainly an interesting way to use up leftover soup.

20 Liz October 7, 2012 at 7:31 am

That is such a good idea to use soup on the pizza. It actually sounds delicious. Thanks for the tip. :)
Liz recently posted..FD163 – Down with Paper Towels..Soap Box Sunday

21 Genna October 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Love it!

22 April C. October 7, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Great, great idea on the pizza! I feel the need to go buy these things now! Thanks for the rec on the movie, too.