more ยป" />

Friday Morning

by Meghann on October 5, 2012

Happy Friday!!

{insert favorite Friday themed song here}

Safe travels to all the ROCKSTAR runners who are heading to Chicago for the marathon today! Totes jealous! If I were to ever repeat an out-of-state marathon, I think I would run that one again. It’s still one of my favorite marathons to date (see my recap here). You guys are in for a real treat!

Mary asked me before she left what my favorite part of the race was and I told her it was right when you turn into Chinatown. It’s a sharp right – so you’re not expecting it – but right after you turn it’s a rush of excitement as the crowds take you in. When I ran the race, that turn came right when I needed it. :)

If you’ve run the Chicago Marathon before, what was your favorite part of the race?

It was packed at the pool when we arrived this morning. We’ve had relatively empty morning sessions lately, so the full pool was a surprise. I think it was a high school swim team trying to squeeze in an extra early practice. The 5 of us started out in the same lane (circle swimming! yay!…. not). I’m cool with circle swimming with swimmers who are roughly the same speed as me, but I’m nervous with swimmers who are faster than I am (like the majority of my teammates are – I’m the slow poke of the group!). I feel bad that I’m in their way or slowing their laps down somehow. Do any other swimmers feel this way?

Luckily the circle swimming didn’t last long. The high school group left and eventually we had almost the whole pool to ourselves. We did a few sets of progressive 50s and really just had an easy morning. I think we did a total of 1800 meters?

Don’t forget to ask your swim related questions over at *THIS* post for an upcoming “Swimming 101″ series I’m working on!

Post-swim breakfast:

IMG_1922.JPG

Two scrambled eggs with feta and spinach

IMG_1924.JPG

Grapes!

IMG_1926.JPG

Yum.

Let’s get this Friday started!

1 Holly October 5, 2012 at 10:06 am

Did I miss your drawing of the Garmin winner? Not going to lie, I was really crossing my fingers for that one! :)

Happy Friday!

2 Meghann October 5, 2012 at 10:12 am

The winner was contacted via email and has already collected her prize. I made the announcement via twitter, but I’m going to add a note to the end of the giveaway post as well. :)

3 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 5, 2012 at 10:08 am

I’ve been all about the spinach and cheese omelets lately!! They’re perfect for fall — warm and hearty, but still fluffy and light!
I’d LOVE to be able to run the Chicago Marathon — a few of my teammates are traveling down for it and I’m really jealous. I hear that it’s a super great course, that the sights are amazing, and that the crowds are unbelievable awesome!!
I’m really, really leaning towards entering the NYC marathon next fall. It would be my first out of country marathon (unless I enter one as a practice race before then!), and seeing as I’ve never even been to NYC, it would be sure to be quite the experience!! :)

4 Meghann October 5, 2012 at 10:14 am

I would LOVE to run NYC! I keep putting my name in the lottery – one day I’ll get it! :)

5 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 5, 2012 at 10:18 am

Keep at it for sure!! I hear it’s amazing!!
My teammates say that I should wait until I’m faster and not use my first qualifying time to enter just for the heck of it, but to go out and make a statement. I figure that I have a year to gain strength and speed … and really, you never know what the future holds! Might as well capitalize on my qualifying time and push for having fun and running fast (even if I’m not making a statement). #yolo !!!

6 NYC Fit Girl October 5, 2012 at 10:08 am

Yum! I haven’t had grapes in a while but I am not going to lie I might be having some for lunch today! Sometimes I forget how good they are!

7 Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward October 5, 2012 at 10:17 am

Chicago is a city that is increasingly becoming one that I really want to visit and run in!

8 lisa fine October 5, 2012 at 10:18 am

Chicago sounds incredible – I’ve read your recap, and a few others. While I haven’t run a marathon (yet!), that, New York City, and Walt Disney World would be at the top of my list (yes, all before Boston).

Happy Friday!

9 Annette @FitnessPerks October 5, 2012 at 10:35 am

Oooooh that egg scramble looks/sounds GOOD! I love feta. SO much.

10 Christine, Random Hangers blog October 5, 2012 at 11:12 am

I hear you on the fast/slow thing, but my other hangup is that I’m terrified of either whacking or being whacked by someone swimming in the other direction! I much prefer a lane to myself. Safer for everyone, lol.

11 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 5, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I didn’t realize the chicago marathon was such a big deal – its so close (about 4-5 hours away) I should have planned to go spectate!!

12 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners October 5, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I did Chicago 3 years ago and LOVED it! Fantastic race – lots of excitment, tons of spectators and eye candy to keep you occupied. My year was cold (34dF at finish!!), so I was not a fan of that, and the walk afterwards to reunite with family was rough (so many runners to organize!) but other than that, not a complaint! I esp loved the section of town that had all the drag queens dancing and singing, so great. Running through the park was also a delight. I will def do this race again one day!

13 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 5, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I would love to run the Chicago marathon one day! I can only imagine what a rush it is.

14 Jessica October 5, 2012 at 12:52 pm

400 warmup
2×50 backstroke
4x (4×50 as easy/easy/easy +/hard)
200 steady
2x (4×50 as easy/easy/easy +/hard)
100 hard
100 cool down

=2100m and my still-sore-from-Wednesday shoulders are counting every centimeter! :)

15 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 5, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I just left the expo and I’m shaking! I’m excited, nervous and so overwhelmed! I can’t believe this is happening an I’m RUNNING it!

16 Caitlin October 5, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I’ve been following your marathon journey on your blog, Katie!! Good luck, you’ll do great!!!!

17 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 5, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Thank you, Caitlin!!!! I’m so excited!

18 Caitlin October 5, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I swam competitively for a minute in early high school and I was never the fast kid and there would be like 15 of us in a lane and I remember always feeling people touching my feet and hating it- it’s a constant reminder that you’re too slow! Still when I go to the pool to do laps I pray that I won’t have to share a lane or no one gets in my lane for fear that I’ll be too slow for their pace OR I’ll be much faster and be constantly on their back.
Also, we ate the same breakfast except mine had goat cheese, instead of feta, and I threw in some red bell pepper and veggie sausage. YUM!

19 Cher @ Weddicted October 5, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Feta in omelets is one of the best additions, especially when you’re generous with it!

Happy weekend.

20 Katie @ running4cupcakes October 5, 2012 at 3:14 pm

When I was swimming in high school and college, it never bothered me to swim with slower than me swimmers… You are much more worried about your speed than anyone else! They are all just happy you are there swimming/suffering ;) with them!!!