Wedding: Guestbooks

by Meghann on October 3, 2012

As of right now, I’m not sure what we’re doing for a wedding guestbook. I’ll admit that it’s not one of those things that’s super high on my list of concerns, but is something I know we need to figure out eventually (even if we pick something the week before). I’ve thought about just going the traditional route and picking up a generic guestbook from JoAnns or Michaels, but what would the fun in that be? πŸ˜‰ Here are a few options I’ve been looking at.

The signed frame

I know it’s common to have guests sign around a photo of the bride and groom, but I like this twist of using photos of the wedding date instead. We could easily DIY this project, just have to make sure we had enough room on the mat for 150 signatures.

Thumbprint tree

This seems to be a growing trend in the wedding world. Guests leave their thumbprint as a leaf on a tree (or a balloon attached to a string) and sign their name next to it. I think the finished products look great (and I love the personal touch), but I’ve heard these projects get to be a bit messy at weddings. Has anyone ever been to a wedding that had these? What did you think?

Signed puzzle pieces

Source: weddbook.com via Meghann on Pinterest

I think this project would be even better with a custom puzzle (not exactly of us, but maybe our favorite city or a photo of the wedding venue?), it would just have to be one with sturdy wood pieces that guests could sign and not destroy in the process. We could display the pieces in a cute jar and break the puzzle out on our anniversaries.

Questionnaires

This photo was from my friend’s wedding earlier this year. All the guests completed a card with some words of wisdom for the bride and groom. I’ve also seen Mad Lib versions of these cards where guest can fill in silly adjectives or verbs when offering advice to the bride and groom. We could have some fun with these.

Scrapbook

Also from my friend’s wedding. The bride and groom ordered a digital scrapbook online and asked guests to sign around the photos. I have hundreds of photos I could pick from the 7+ years Derek and I have known each other or we could have some fun taking new silly photos with messages encouraging our guests to sign the book or thanking them for coming. Loads of possibilities here.

So what do you think? Did you have a guestbook at your wedding? What did you do?

1 Sally October 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm

My husband and I got married in Charleston and we got a great coffee table book of Charleston (a gift from a friend) for the guests to sign! It sits on our coffee table and every once in a while I flip thru to read the comments! Charleston was a special place for us before we married there, maybe an FSU booK?

2 Katie October 4, 2012 at 2:22 pm

This is what we’re doing too. It was a suggestion from our coordinator, and I loved it! I was able to find a picture coffee table book online about the area where we’re getting married, and we’ll just have guests sign all through it.

3 KT October 3, 2012 at 12:55 pm

We did the guestbook tree. I drew a naked tree in black ink, had a variety of green ink pads, wipes, a trash bucket, and a sign that said “leaf your thumprint and sign your name – or you can use the thumbprint stamp if you don’t want to get dirty!” If people didn’t want to get dirty, I bought a ($3) thumbprint stamp. However, it wasn’t messy at all! I tested all the ink before hand and all of them wiped clear with the wipes – they left my thumb green, but the ink never transferred. I drew a “getaway car” with balloons attached to the top for a friends wedding, also cute!

4 Maureen @ Organically Mo October 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm

My friend had the photographer’s assistant take pictures of all the guests as they entered and we wrote a message to them on small pieecs of paper that they put together in an album after the wedding. It turned out really cool!
Maureen @ Organically Mo recently posted..Spaghetti Squash Tutorial

5 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 3, 2012 at 1:02 pm

We had a boring traditional guest book at our wedding and to be honest, it didn’t matter to me at all. I have not even looked at it since our wedding 5 years ago.
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

6 Karla October 3, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I made a photo book on snapfish and put quotes about love throughout and also our love ‘story’. Then, I had the guest sign throughout the book. I loved it and it’s something we will enkpjoy looking at for years!
Karla recently posted..Ed is killing you every time you choose to follow him.

7 Emily October 3, 2012 at 1:04 pm

We had a thumbprint piece at our wedding and everyone loved it! You just need to make sure you have some baby wipes, small trash can, and ink that’s washable. Our thumbprints made a cloud of balloons that drifted up from a VW bug. I LOVE it. πŸ™‚
Emily recently posted..#OperationPantsFit: It’s On!

8 natalie @ will jog for food October 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I had a guestbook with pictures of us and our venue, and people could sign around it. It worked out pretty well! I love the mad libs idea though! I wish I would have thought of that at my wedding πŸ™‚
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Baby O – Week 13

9 Melissa October 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I got married at the Boston Public Library. So for my guest book, I ordered blank library cards from etsy. I stamped each card with our wedding date. Guests signed the cards, writing their names as the Author, sometimes creating a Title, and then leaving a sweet note. I plan to put all of the cards in a Wedding Scrapbook.

10 cathy October 3, 2012 at 4:04 pm

That is genius!

11 Tiffany October 3, 2012 at 1:21 pm

We didn’t want something that we would never look at again, so we had everyone sign a canvas! We bought pens in our wedding colors (orange & blue) and placed the blank canvas on a easel near the door. Some people just wrote their names, some wrote little notes, some added little doodles to their names and one family wrote their last name big with their first names stemming from there (there are 8 of them!). It’s now hanging in our 2nd floor hallway, and 2+ years later I still stop and look at it as I walk by.

I totally recommend this if you want something to look at for years to come that won’t just sit on the coffee table and collect dust!

12 Leah October 3, 2012 at 1:24 pm

We had a thumbprint tree at our wedding, and I loved the idea until my red ink wound up coming out hot pink (not a color found in New England fall foliage) and a few of the groomsmen decided to make themselves “falling leaves” under the tree and add people who weren’t even there. I have it in a frame, but haven’t hung it up yet. Still a little bitter, I guess :\

But! People loved it and thought it was a really cute idea.
Leah recently posted..I’m still here!

13 Angela October 3, 2012 at 1:32 pm

We did a thumbprint tree at our wedding a few weeks ago. My husband designed it, then we had it printed large and we mounted on foam board (we are going to frame it). We had two of his cousins work the table during cocktail hour and we had baby wipes and a trash can so it easily came off. We did a black tree with silver prints so we can hang it anywhere. We love it and got lots of compliments on it. The best is someone did their thumbprint and signed it O.J. Simpson, lol. It’s one of my favorite things from the wedding.

14 Michael Anderson October 3, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Having just celebrated our 20th anniversary earlier this year, we have flipped through our guest book a few times (about every five years). There are (too many) people who have died ,those we’ve lost touch with, and still-close friends – and so it is great to occasionally see what people wrote. But realize that you will not spend a lot of time looking at it … so don’t overthink.

Oh – and don’t make it hard to transport when you move!
Michael Anderson recently posted..If You Watch One Video Today, This Is It

15 Grace @ Grace Dishes October 3, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I’ve normally only seen scrapbooks or a simple guestbook with address for thank you cards. The thumbprint idea seems fun but I agree, could get very messy.

I LOVE the idea of puzzle pieces! I think it would be so romantic to put together later as a couple too.
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..Girls Weekend in Maryland (Recap Part 2)

16 Lynn October 3, 2012 at 1:37 pm

We did the scrap book and it is one of my favourite wedding keepsakes. We also have it out on our coffee table and guests sometimes flip through it.

17 Mary @foodandfunontherun October 3, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I did the frame, and love it! It’s nice because it is always in view on the wall. It never gets tucked away or spilled on! And it is constantly a reminder of the well wishes from our wedding day πŸ™‚
Mary @foodandfunontherun recently posted..Morning Mile

18 Lauren @ Every Last Detail October 3, 2012 at 1:43 pm

There are tons of GREAT ideas for guestbooks… or rather, alternatives to guestbooks. Ironically, I actually FORGOT to do my guestbook, which was supposed to be pieces of paper that people would just write their notes onto and put in a vase. Kinda basic. You two should try to keep it to something that reflects you the most… and something that you could use in your house to see all the time. πŸ™‚ I’m a fan of the puzzle pieces, but I also like the pieces of art that people can almost “paint by numbers” too. πŸ™‚
Lauren @ Every Last Detail recently posted..Modern, Elegant Green & Brown Fall Wedding

19 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution October 3, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I’ve thought about this a lot, because I just don’t see myself saving or displaying a lot of the more popular ideas, so I’m going to get a 2013 calendar and have everyone put their name on their birthday. That way, I’ll never forget a birthday! I love this idea, and I think I will treasure it.
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..October Goals

20 Krissy @ Shiawase Life October 3, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I had a paper runner across each table, along with thin markers for guests to sign/draw/etc then later, I cut the pieces out and arranged them in a big frame :

Here’s a link to how it turned out:
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

21 Emily October 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm

We had a sheet of paper which people signed. My Aunt then had her painter friend copy these onto a beautiful pottery bowl, along with the date of our wedding. We use it as a fruit bowl so we get to see it every day.

22 Karen October 3, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I’ve been to a wedding with all of these options lol the thumb print is super cute and not messy (just leave plenty of baby wipes at the table). Mad libs are fun and get pretty hilarious depending on what kind of crowd you have πŸ˜‰ I’ve never been a huge fan of the signed photos (looks a little to bar mitzvahy for me) and I’m not a puzzle person in general. Overall I think the scrapbook picture book is the cutest option πŸ™‚ Wowza, that’s a long comment!
Karen recently posted..Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

23 Shanna October 3, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I love the idea to take a calendar, a personal one would be really great, and have people sign their names on their birthdays!!!!!!!! A great way to remember not only the people that were there on your special day but also a great way to show them how much they mean to you when you send out a birthday card (IN TIME:D)

24 Rachel October 3, 2012 at 1:59 pm

We had a large model sail boat with canvas sails & had our guests sign the sails. It went perfectly with our nautical theme and will be permanently displayed in our home (once Eric puts a shelf up). Doesn’t really help you, but I figured I’d share anyway.

25 Amanda October 3, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I was just in a wedding who used the thumbprint guestbook and it was a hit. She had individually wrapped wet ones next to the print so after the guests left their fingerprint they were able to clean it off right away and there wasn’t a mess. It turned out awesome and there wasn’t any cleanup! We’re considering this for ours too πŸ™‚
Amanda recently posted..Happy Birthday, My Love

26 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife October 3, 2012 at 2:00 pm

We did the picture guestbook (made using shutterfly), which had our engagement pictures in it. Also, a friend of ours made a giant plate (like 18″ x 18″) at a pottery shop. It has a bride and groom, says our names and the date. Everyone signed it. I love displaying it in our living room. Unfortunately, the corner of it broke off in our recent move. But I glued it back together!
[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/zl1xci.jpg[/IMG]
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..The Great Outdoors

27 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife October 3, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..The Great Outdoors

28 Laurin October 3, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I had a boring guestbook at our wedding and have never even looked at it! Our wedding party signed a silver plate though and I have that hung up in our hallway. Last year, I made a scrapbook for my BFF when I was her MOH and she used it as her guest book and keeps it on her coffee table. Their kids love looking thru it. I was also at a wedding where each guest wrote on a river rock and then the couple keeps them in a jar on their mantle for decoration.
Laurin recently posted..Madison turned 4!

29 Jessie October 3, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I’m getting married in 10 days, eeek, and we are doing the photo book idea for our guestbook. We went through the website, Shutterfly, who already had some designs for guestbooks that include some fun pages with fill-in-the-blanks and other graphics. It came out looking awesome, and we think it gives the guests a look into our lives together with all the pictures we were able to put in it.

30 Meghann October 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks, I’ll have to check the templates out!

31 Katy October 3, 2012 at 2:10 pm

My husband and his stepdad made a bench that we painted white and had everyone sign when they came into the church. We have had it at the end of our bed before, but now it lives in the living room. We see it every single day and still love reading all the messages people left for us.

32 Liza October 3, 2012 at 2:12 pm

We did not go with the traditional guest book, because we knew we would just sit it on a shelf and never look at it again. Instead, we did a guest book Quilt! Since we had a custom monogram that I used on everything from our invites to our cookie favors to our photobooth, I had an a specialty shop embroider our monogram onto fabric and then we had four different color fabric squares that people could write their name or a message on and then had all of the squares made into a quilt with our monogram in the middle. I’m so glad we did that instead of a traditional guest book.

33 Lindsay October 3, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I was just at a wedding last weekend that had a thumbprint tree. I had no idea it was a wedding “thing” because it was the first time I had seen it, but I thought it was the cutest idea. It was definitely not messy and it was fun and interactive for guests. The bride’s mom painted the tree in watercolor, and all of the “leaves” matched those colors. They left a few examples on there from their immediate family to get people started (so that it would be more uniform), and it took off. It looked a lot more like something that would look good hanging up in a living room than a signed matte surrounding pictures, in my opinion.

34 Sarah October 3, 2012 at 2:25 pm

My best friend did the thumb print tree, and she used 3 different shades of green – one shade for his family, one shade for her family, and one shade for friends. It turned out really cute! They supplied wet wipes and a trashcan, and it wasn’t messy at all! You can see a photo here: http://nicolewelchphotography.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/kateandchris_blog065.jpg

35 ALS October 3, 2012 at 2:28 pm

We had a photobook (so like your scrapbook example) of a bunch of our engagement pictures. It was cheap, easy and now looks great on our coffee table. I did go to a wedding w/a thumbprint tree. I think it would be fine if you make sure to have wipes (the wedding I was at did not). It’s not like I can’t go wash my hands, but I was much more interested in cocktail hour πŸ™‚ Another downside to the thumbprint tree is that people can’t really write you messages, there’s not much space than do anything else than sign your name.

36 crystal d. October 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I am always trying to gather up everyones birthdates so I can send out cards. Like real cards in the mail with a stamp in it. Not just an email or e-card. Those are ok too but I love to check the mail and see a real card in there! So for our sign in books we made two calendars on shutterfly.com with pictures of us through out the years. We had the two calendars and some pens on the sign in table with a sign that said “find your birthdate and sign your name”. We just got married in June so we have been using the calendars ever since and now I have everyones birthdate that was at the wedding! The whole thing cost us $20. cheap and cute and it can serve a purpose for years to come! (of course I found the idea on pinterest!)

P.S. I LOVE all of your wedding posts and can’t wait to read all about the big day!!!!!

37 Cher @ Weddicted October 3, 2012 at 2:35 pm

My husband and I picked up a print of a painting done of our venue (a winery). The winery was selling them, poster sized for $2.00. I got it custom framed with a matte (this was of course the more pricey part). They put it all together with the matte on the outside of the glass so that guests could sign. I bought these pencils (http://www.whisperingpinescatalog.com/products/stick-pencils) and put a little sign saying “Please sign your name; this picture will be hung in our home and each time we pass we will remember the memories we shared with you today.” The reason for the note was not just so people knew what to do, but a tactful way of letting people know not to write or draw anything inappropriate (necessary with our jokester family and friends lol). You would think the pencil wouldn’t have worked well, but it looks really great.
Anyway, I still need to bring the frame back (to Michaels) and they are going to fix it so that the matte is behind the glass, and then finally get it hung up on my wall!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Wedding gown trends: All about the straps

38 Caitlin October 3, 2012 at 2:41 pm

We used shutterfly(target even gave us a coupon for it when we registered there). Our coffee table book turned out awesome. We used our engagement photos in it, and people loved looking through it. I love being able to look back at the fun comments everyone wrote. Note: use a pen that won’t smudge! I also thought about using a poloriod camera. Someone takes a picture of the family/guest and they write a note on the bottom or back. You can keep these in a scrapbook or display them. At the wedding they can use clothes pins to hang them to a wire. This is a fun way to see what people looked like “back in time”!

39 Melissa October 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

We did the scrapbook option. Mixbook and other photobook sites have guestbook templates that you can use. It was nice because we got to show our guests photos of our past but there were still lines for them to write on.

40 Madeline October 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm

We had a calendar and everyone signed their name on their birthday. Everyone loved it and we actually use it!

41 Life's a Bowl October 3, 2012 at 2:54 pm

We ended up going the untraditional route… I ordered an assortment of patterned tags in our wedding colors [with ribbons on 1 end] off of Etsy and large apothecary jars! Our guests wrote a well wish or piece of advice [on the blank side] and dropped the card into the jar πŸ™‚ It was so much fun reading each note the next day and now we have them in a little basket on our shelf… I’m hoping to create some sort of frame with them all in the future!
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..First Month as a Mrs.

42 Mallory October 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I made a scrapbook from a nice one I found at Paper Zone before the wedding. In the first few pages of the book I put in our favorite/sweetest cards from engagement and shower gifts. I then used a few pages for all the paper goodies that I created for the wedding (Save the Dates, invites, the actual program from the day of) and paper things that played a part in the wedding (the poems our friends read, our handwritten vows, the speech our officiant/friend gave during the ceremony). Mixed in with the scrapbook elements I put in different sized squares/rectangles of nice blank paper. At the wedding, guests signed and wrote notes in those spots.

After the wedding, I filled the rest of the book with prints from our wedding photographer. There were still a few blank pages left, so I added some photos from our first year of married life and we ended the book with letters that my husband and I wrote to each other on our first anniversary.

The book itself has a fabric cover and ribbon binding, so it looks cute sitting out in our living room and I love to pick it up and look through everything about our wedding/newlywed experience all in one place!

(We also ended up getting a shutterfly book, but I did that after the fact — it is full of all of the informal photos our friends/family took during the wedding weekend rather than the actual professional photography we had done, which is hung in the house and in the scrapbook.)

43 Rachel October 3, 2012 at 3:00 pm

two weddings i went to last year did both the signed photo frame and the thumbprint

the picture frame is tricky – make sure your guests write small or they’ll run out of room. i also think it looks kind of messy to actually hang up :\

the thumbprint idea i really liked – they had the wedding party do their thumbprint at the rehearsal dinner and i’ve seen the finished product in their house and it’s really cute – just leave a ink pads and baby wipes so no messes
Rachel recently posted..midweek musings

44 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners October 3, 2012 at 3:17 pm

we are both birders, so i made a giant “checklist” (a list of all the birds in the area at that time of year) and asked people to check off the birds they saw/heard during our wedding day and then sign around the edges. considering many of our friends were birders, this worked great! and the ones who aren’t just got creative/silly, like my cousin who wrote in “pterodactyl” lol. Love this memento from our wedding πŸ™‚
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..Race Spectating – Ocean City Half Marathon & 5k

45 Rebecca October 3, 2012 at 3:22 pm

We actually didn’t have a guestbook…I didn’t really think too much about it. We had a non-traditional wedding (family ceremony on a Friday, big reception on Saturday at a brewery) and honestly, no one asked where the guest book was or anything like that. It would have been cute to do something like these, but it totally wasn’t us (or our friends!).

46 Kelsey @kelseyruns October 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm

A close family friend got married over Labor Day weekend and had the thumbprint guest book! As I stood in line. I was worried I might get ink on my dress or ink somewhere it wasn’t suppose to be and I wanted to know how I was going to clean my fingers. I was pleasantly surprised though! Two girls stood by and instructed guests and passed out wet naps for after the stamping and even had trash cans right next to the table to make it simple to throw stuff away! The only downside was the line got long especially right before the ceremony started. Making it available at the reception might also cut down on a long line. My overall opinion…two thumbs up! πŸ™‚

47 Joanna October 3, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I’ve seen people use a digital photo album using pictures of them with their guests. Then the guests can sign in next to their own picture. I guess that would only work if you have pictures of all your guests but super fun idea.

For our guest book we had a Polaroid camera and asked our guests to have their picture taken by a friend who we asked to be at the sign in table. Then our guests signed on the photo or wrote a note in the scrapbook and our friend/sign in table attendant taped the polaroid pictures in a scrapbook next to their notes. I loved having pictures of all our friends and family from our big day. And the notes they wrote next to their pictures are pretty funny too!

48 Chelsea October 3, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Since we met in college, my husband and I used a coffee table history book about the school we went to as our guest book. Many of my friends who have gone different routes say they’re guest books are now packed away and they never look at them. But ours is out for everyone to see and read. It’s a fun reminder of our day.

49 Lisa in IL October 3, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Well since I was married 26+ years ago the trend was a traditional wedding guest book. I still have it. I have noticed at the last several wedding we’ve been to some of the other ideas you have picked however I don’t seem to see a lot of people signing those types of “guestbooks”. It’s almost like the think they are just for family or they are stumped for creativity.

50 Courtney October 3, 2012 at 3:46 pm

We went the photobook route and did all of our engagement pictures. We’re pretty light hearted so some of our engagement photos were very non traditional (like him down on his knee and me holding a plastic gun to his head haha) so it made for a funny book! We love it and it’s always fun to go back and look at. I’ve also been to a wedding where they did the thumbprint tree and it wasn’t bad at all, they just had little wet naps right next to the ink thing so you could wipe it right off.

51 Elisabeth October 3, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I really like the first one with photos of the date!

52 Kate October 3, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Im a fan of the last option, the photo book. Another option that I think is fun is a simple coffee table book for people to sign. I always have an Ansel Adams book on my coffee table so that is what I used for my guest book. Of course, you could always get a great Florida photo book and use that too! People could sign a page that has a photo of a place you visited together or a page with a photo from their hometown. It’s a low-maintanence thing to do and will always look nice.

53 Holly October 3, 2012 at 4:16 pm

We did the wedding tree but we bought one on etsy that already had the leaves on it, guests just signed their name in a leaf. (So no messiness with the thumbprints.) Now it’s framed in our bedroom and I get to look at it every day. Sometimes I’ll stand there while brushing my teeth and just look at the different signatures. I think the wedding tree and the signed frame are the two options that you will get the most “use” out of bc you can look at them daily if you wanted.

54 Anna Portman October 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm

At my wedding, my maid of honor had everybody sign a piece of paper with well wishes. She then ripped around the edges and folded the paper in a bottle. It was a “Message in a Bottle” which was appropriate since we got married where Message In A Bottle was filmed but also because it became a decorative piece I could look at (the paper will still come out) But we only had 11 guests….so it worked. We had an intimate wedding.

The idea of the Thumbprint art is a good idea but it takes SO long to do. The wedding I went to that had this had it set up nicely and had wipes, trash can, washable ink, etc. However the line to get in the wedding was like standing at a line at Disney World. it was a long process to ink your thumb, find a good spot to stamp, writing your name, washing your thumb…etc.

I personally LOVE the puzzle idea. I think it would be neat to have someone put the puzzle together between the wedding & reception and have it somehow displayed at the reception.

55 Anna Portman October 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I was just reading a comment above about having a guestbook BENCH and I just had an idea. Since you are doing a rustic/country type wedding….I think it would be neat to do something similar. Maybe paint 2 rocking chairs (A Mr. and a Mrs. or a Meghann and a Derek) white and have guests sign the chairs.

The possibilities are endless!

56 Emily @ Relishments October 3, 2012 at 4:46 pm

When I got married, we did the picture frame guest book. I like it because it hangs in our dining room and I look at it all the time. It also gets a lot of attention from any guests we have to the house.

My sister just got married and I love her guest book idea. Similar to the questionaire you mentioned, she had pages for each guest to take and fill out. The pages weren’t all the same, but each had several text boxes with questions like “what’s your favorite memory of us”, “what 3 words describe us”, “draw a picture of our perfect date” and “where do you see us in 25 years”. They were really fun to fill out and it was great to see what other people came up with. My sister’s plan is to assemble all the pages into a book.
Emily @ Relishments recently posted..Wedding Withdrawal

57 Lindsey d. October 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Am I the only person who HATES the idea of making her friends/family work at my wedding? If they are the people I trust to do those jobs (like stand there with wet wipes – ugh), then they are the people I want to have the most fun at my wedding.

That said, I like the photo book idea.

58 Kathleen @ Fittitudefreedom October 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm

We did a beautiful plate that I purchased online that had a picture in the center with our names and date below – all of our guests signed and wrote messages with a special pen that will not come off. When we got home from our honeymoon we had to bake the plate to ensure none of the messages would rub off. It’s great to use on special occasions for snacks etc. I also ordered a time capsule for my SIL’S wedding and all the guests put signature items and messages in the capsule. Everyone had a blast with that!
Kathleen @ Fittitudefreedom recently posted..Little Miss Muffet

59 Kim October 3, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I like the puzzle pieces! Those will bring you a lot of fun later in life, and also for your little kids too (hello, free puzzle).

We had a traditional guest sign-in book, it was just a notebook from Target (the “Greenroom” brand), hard-cover and had a pretty blue & white geometric graphic that went well with our wedding decor. I think if we’d gone with a decoration to hang in the home it might have looked out of place in the house.

60 Hillary October 3, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I love the puzzle and scrapbook ideas. A little bit original, a little bit quirky—and, in the case of the scrapbook, a great way to display your engagement photos!
Hillary recently posted..Pumpkin Season

61 Tabitha October 3, 2012 at 6:28 pm

We did the picture frame mat; which is great because it hangs up in our hall and I see the kind words of encouragement daily. But, I also love the thumbprint idea. Good luck choosing.
Tabitha recently posted..Returned to the Running Club and Library Books

62 Meg October 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm

We had a thumbprint peacock picture at our wedding, our wedding inspiration was “purple peacock.” I love it, we had the digital print printed at staples then framed it ourselves after the wedding- its hanging in our living room. As for mess, we put boxes of baby wipes inside covered shoe boxes for our guests to wipe their thumbs with, and had a trashcan next to the table, it worked wonderfully πŸ™‚

63 Kelly @foodiefresh October 3, 2012 at 6:52 pm

We did a classic guest book at the ceremony. I actually got a really classy looking one on Amazon. But at the reception we did a signed photo of one of our engagement photos. Guest signed on extra thick matting. It looks great!
Kelly @foodiefresh recently posted..Parmesan Beet Chips

64 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife October 3, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I like having everyone sign a canvas. with a picture of the couple in the middle! have you seen this giveaway? http://www.theeventcrashers.com/snagging-a-unique-keepsake/
that is a pretty cool idea too!
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Fall Picking

65 Steph - The Event Crashers October 3, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Thanks for sharing our giveaway, Danielle!

66 Elizabeth October 3, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I just made a Shutterfly photo book for our guestbook. There are actually a bunch of templates (most are Storytelling, which add a bit to the price) that include a few mad-libs (the ones they have don’t have much potential for humor, but you could make your own), and forms with boxes to check and fill (including one where the guest draws a self portrait). It gave us a great opportunity to use more of our engagement pics and to make sure we’d (hopefully) get a good mix of comments along with just signatures from the more traditional guests.

If you sign up for their emails you can get a pretty good deal too! I got an almost $50 book for $26 including shipping! Just be sure if you decide to go that route and use templates to change all the names, initials and dates!

67 Christine @ BookishlyB October 3, 2012 at 7:32 pm

I made a photo book on mixbook.com (the BEST scrapbooking program ever) and had people sign the blank pages. I love looking at it.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Nonfiction Nagging- Eat Local! Or Don’t…

68 Cait @ Beyond Bananas October 3, 2012 at 7:51 pm

We used our engagement photos in a guest book. Our photographer actually wanted to try out a new vendor for guestbooks … and she decided to use our photos because it was shortly after our engagement shoot. She just wanted to make sure the quality was okay before offering it to clients. Well.. she didn’t need it forever.. so we got it for 1/2 the price of the original cost.

I loved having our book this way. It was a great way to have our photos in one place.. and see messages from loved ones!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Tales of a Crock Pot Newbie

69 Jessica October 3, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Another Shutterfly scrapbook maker here. It’s en route right now, can’t wait to see it!

70 Anna October 3, 2012 at 8:18 pm

For my shower, we did the signed frame idea with an engagement shoot photo in there. For the wedding, we had a sliver platter that our guests could sign. We have it on display on a bookshelf in our dinning room, but we could also use it as a serving platter for a fancy dinner.

71 Katie Heddleston October 3, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I am LOVING the thumbprint idea but I’m thinking maybe for Xander’s first birthday party that would be great!

For our wedding guest book we did the frame thing and also had a traditional book at the wedding. We have our frame with a wedding picture in it in our living room and I love reading it πŸ™‚
Katie Heddleston recently posted..11 Tips for Outdoor Running Safety

72 Heather October 3, 2012 at 8:43 pm

We did the frame with 4 old pictures of us. You could use your pretty engagement pictures though. I really like it because after the wedding I quickly put 4 wedding pictures in it, and still they are the only wedding pictures I have framed.

73 Karie October 3, 2012 at 9:39 pm

We did a guestbook from http://www.guestbookstore.com/wedding

I love it and I will pull it out randomly (usually when Im dusting where I keep it) and look through it. Its hilarious to look at and read what people wrote or see their drawings. I did have it at its own seperate table with tons of markers etc to use but now I wish I would of had the pages on each individual table because not every single person filled one out. Im sure not everyone would even if it was at the tables but I think I would have more than I do.

Good luck!!

74 Stephanie October 3, 2012 at 9:46 pm

My little brother just got married last month and his fiancΓ© put me in charge of their guest book. I had all the guests sign quilt pieces and my friends will sew them a quilt with the signed pieces and fabric pieces with their wedding colors.

The scrapbook/album is always a good idea.

75 Aliz October 4, 2012 at 7:56 am

I got married last year. We did two things:
had a Guest book which had a questionnaire for everyone to fill in, i got my from Kikki K stationary.
and similar to what Stephanie did above ^ my favourite was the quilt squares. I bought some quilting fabric that suited our beach theme, cut squares (you could buy precut) and then laid them out for people to pick a square and write or decorate using some glitter pens and fabric markers.
I’ve ironed the pens on to make them permanent and started making a wedding quilt using all the squares along with some other fabrics that remind me of the years we’ve been together.

76 Tyler October 4, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Our photobooth printed out two copies of the pictures so people pasted one copy into a book and then signed a message next to their photo. It was so fun to look at all the photos along with the messages!

77 Laura @ My Pink Thumb October 5, 2012 at 11:41 am

We had a white board for our guestbook. πŸ™‚
Guests wrote their messages on the whiteboard and then had their photo taken. Then we make a photoboook from all of the images/messages! πŸ™‚
Laura @ My Pink Thumb recently posted..Headband Giveaway WINNER!

78 Lindsey d. October 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm

How about leaving out several blank sheets of paper for everyone to sign (maybe at each table?). Then, scan the sheets an add them to a photobook with all the candids your friends/family take. Or maybe even your professional photos depending on your deal with your photog. It would be cool to match up the guest book with photos from the actual day. It wouldn’t as cool on display at the wedding, but probably has more value later on to combine a wedding album with a guest book.

79 Lori October 5, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I have a friend who had guests sign a large wood cutting board and they have it on the wall in their kitchen…

80 Kristine October 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm

We made labels for our 1st, 5th, 10th, 15th and 25th anniversaries and put them on wine bottles, then had our guests sign the bottles with metallic marker. It means for every respective anniversary we can toast to the friends and family who celebrated with us! Hopefully the wine lasts as long as we do. πŸ˜‰ P.S. you can order custom labels through Etsy if you need/want to. I’m happy to refer you to the gal who did ours!

81 Brittney October 11, 2012 at 10:29 am

We did a Poloroid photo guest book. I appointed my brother to take instant pictures of everyone and then they signed the page with their picture on it. It was cool- I enjoy looking at the photos of everyone and reading what they wrote πŸ™‚
Brittney recently posted..My Nineteenth Week

82 Megan October 15, 2012 at 10:28 pm

We did the photo book as well as the mad lib-style advice cards. We read the advice cards on our honeymoon flight. They were hilarious! It was a nice way to re-live the evening. The guest photo book was a hit too, and the photos gave the guests fuel for both funny and thoughtful comments. And since it’s a coffee table book, we’ll flip through it frequently!

Good luck deciding. I’m sure whatever you choose will be great and uniquely you!