Bricks

by Meghann on October 3, 2012

I love Maddie. Every time we visit the vet she’s usually so excited to ride in the car, then so excited to walk in somewhere new, then so excited to say hi to other dogs, that she doesn’t figure out what’s going on until it’s too late (I think it’s the tiny examination rooms and shut doors that give away what’s happening next).

5835f2ea0d8f11e2aaec22000a1e9bf7_7.jpeg

“I readyz to go home now”

Besides circling the tiny room over and over and over and over again, Maddie was a great sport. Since she had a reaction to one of the shots last year, they gave her a shot of benedryl before anything else to prevent any swelling. Her face is still normal so I’m assuming that means it worked. She’s just a little more tired than normal.

8ee2423c0d8d11e28a5b22000a1c8646_7.jpeg

The good news is we were able to leave with a clean bill of health. Maddie earned her updated tags and the vet gave her stamp of approval for another year – victory! :)

Maddie got an extra special, extra big dog treat when we got home and I had a mini bag of kettle popcorn (love this stuff!).

PA030003.JPG

Shhh… don’t tell coach, but I skipped swim practice tonight for dinner at The Bricks with some Tampa Bay Lady Bloggers and the Pretty Muddy team.

PA030021.JPG

I’m always up for a good meal at my favorite Tampa restaurant with some of my favorite lady bloggers. It was a nice midweek treat to get together.

PA030018.JPG

(Mary, Kat, Meghan, Me!, Beka, Holly, Kevin, and Mindy)

Our table started with the bar’s signature nachos (with just the right amount of delicious cheese and guacamole)

PA030005.JPG

For my main dish, I ordered the Ahi Tuna BLT (Ahi Tuna with bacon and tomato), but opted for avocado in place of the mayo.

PA030014.JPG

I really enjoyed the addition of the avocado. The actual tuna and bacon portions on the sandwich were kind of puny so the avocado was a nice filler to make up for what the sandwich was missing (meat).

PA030015.JPG

One of the Pretty Muddy founders (Kevin) brought us together to discuss the all-female mud race that’s coming to the Tampa area on November 10.

PA030020.JPG

Pretty Muddy went from a concept idea to a full-out race series with two races (Chicago and Columbus) already under their belt and three more on deck (Richmond, Tampa, and Miami) in just 8 short months. They like to move fast!

The concept is simple, an all-woman obstacle course mud race for any woman who wants to get outside, spend time with friends and have fun. It’s marketed mostly toward mud race beginners and it’s rumored that one of their obstacles include running through bubbles. They’re all about encouraging girl power and just having fun.

I’m all for women-only races (and I love to get dirty as much as the next girl) so I was more than happy to share my opinions and ideas. I think this race has potential and everyone I’ve talked to that’s involved in the series definitely have a lot of passion. I look forward to learning more about the race and the possibility of working with them more on some potential registration discount codes for the upcoming Tampa or Miami races (stay tuned!).

We spent a lot of time this evening discussing what attracts women to races so I thought I’d turn the question around on you:

What would encourage you to register and run an all-woman mud race?

I’m definitely drawn to cool medals, cute shirts, and oh yeah, whether the course rocks or not. ;)

1 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 3, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Maybe a voucher for a mani-pedi when the race is over! Ya know, as a way to clean up after all the exfoliating mud.
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..Running Unplugged

2 Meghann October 4, 2012 at 11:45 am

Actually partnering with a local salon would not be a bad idea. Instead of post-race massages like you see at marathons or half marathons, they have post race pedis :)

3 Hayley October 3, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I would LOVE to do a race in the mud! That would be so fun. It would be all the more appealing if there was free champagne at the finish line… also Maddie looks almost identical to my sister’s dog Twiggy. I think they are long lost twins ;)

4 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 4, 2012 at 12:02 am

I would be SO down for an all-woman mud race!! I think that girls act differently when guys are around — this way, it’s all out to beat your fellow lady. And get down and dirty in the process. I just love the idea of the feeling of freedom and abandoning all restraint that it would have!!
And ohmygoodness does that sandwich ever look fabulous!! I bet it wouldn’t be too difficult to recreate either. Yum!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..WIAW — Brinner Dinner Winner!!

5 Christine @ BookishlyB October 4, 2012 at 1:05 am

I’ve only done one mud race and I actually thought the coed participant pool made it more fun- crazy young buff guys boosting girls over walls, middle aged men huffing and puffing, firemen teams… But, then again I’m not a really a fan of girls-only races- we’ve fought hard for equality and many would balk at the notion of a men-only race. Okay, off my soapbox ;)
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Nonfiction Nagging- Eat Local! Or Don’t…

6 Meghann October 4, 2012 at 11:48 am

I do remember the buff guys that have helped me over the walls at other mud races very fondly. ;) And I agree about the equality, but unfortunately, no matter how hard we fight for it, women are still going to be intimidated at races like this (especially newbies), the all-women races are out there to drive up “girl power” and toss away the intimidation vibe that these races sometimes give off.

7 Cait @ Beyond Bananas October 4, 2012 at 1:21 am

I am actually running and all women race on Monday! I don’t really need convincing. A race is a race.. and my cousin invited me up to Boston for the weekend to run this one!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Tales of a Crock Pot Newbie

8 the 3volution of j3nn October 4, 2012 at 4:05 am

Ahi tuna BLT with avocado sounds AMAZING! I’d order the exact same thing, I think. Love tuna <3

9 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats October 4, 2012 at 6:03 am

I wish I could have done the one here in Chicago! I think an all women mud run is a frat idea because I can see a lot of women being intimidated by a regular mud run built for male competitors
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..WIAW–Balanced Meals

10 Dee October 4, 2012 at 7:38 am

I think a cute T-shirt is definitely important, and a well-thought-out course. I hate races that just go up and down random streets because it adds up to 13.1 miles, or whatever. It’s better when it’s planned so you run through a beautiful park or lake or some cool buildings.

11 Emily N October 4, 2012 at 8:36 am

Some folks I know ran the Columbus one (I think it was last week?) and really enjoyed it. Kudos to them!
Emily N recently posted..Bourbon Chase 2012 – Part III

12 Cher @ Weddicted October 4, 2012 at 8:52 am

I wouldn’t need much convincing – sounds fun! But I agree with the person about the champagne. Or cocktails. A little girly inspiration to get to the finish line ;)
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Wedding gown trends: All about the straps

13 Beth October 4, 2012 at 9:07 am

I freakin’ love The Bricks. Could eat there every day. So delish.
Beth recently posted..Augusta 1/2 Ironman Race Report

14 Becky @ runfundone October 4, 2012 at 9:20 am

My dog is so chill at the vet. It’s super funny, because the vet will be like, “Okay, it’s just going to pinch…um…are you ready?” And I’m just like, “You can do anything you want to her. She doesn’t care.” They’re always shocked at how chill she is.
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..What Exactly Does one do with Tofu?

15 NYC Fit Girl October 4, 2012 at 9:22 am

Got to love dog’s funny personalities! I would love an all women mud race! I have actually been dying to do one of those tough mudder type races for a while but I have to get a group together to do it. They seem like so much fun!

16 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 4, 2012 at 9:48 am

Honestly, I have nothing against them necessarily, just don’t see “girls only” as a strong appeal on it’s own. Most of the ones that I have seen don’t have the same level of intensity when it comes to obstacles as co-ed races and seems like I’m paying a lot of money for not a lot of anything. I would want some really cool obstacles/course, sweet shirt, and maybe some coupons for discounts around town (happy hours, mani/pedis, boutiques). And an after race music fest never hurts :)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Rainy night take out

17 Lindsey d. October 4, 2012 at 9:50 am

From the post title I was sure this would be a triathlon training post.

I love women-only races. I’ve done a woman’s only triathlon in Baton Rouge for two years running and it continues to be the most supportive, enthusiastic race I’ve ever competed in. I’m also doing a mostly-women half marathon in December, which I think will also be a fabulous, positive experience.

18 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 4, 2012 at 9:54 am

That looks like so much fun! I would love to have some bloggers in my area to connect with.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..WIAW or My Ode to Whole Foods

19 jen October 4, 2012 at 10:05 am

All female races and those that are all about “girl power” are really of little interest to me… and this is coming from someone who ran the Disney Princess 1/2 in 2011. The top two factors for me choosing a race is location and course description (at this point I’m not going to kill myself on a crazy hilly course.)

Part of me really thinks that the “girl power” focus is truly overdone. If we, as women, want equality, we need to realize that we are the ones separating ourselves thuogh similar races.

20 Beka October 4, 2012 at 12:22 pm

You should have said something about your lack of bacon… I think they put all of yours on my sandwich and I didn’t even want any – I would have given you all of it! I see a few of the comments on here aren’t into the female only races – but I think that they’re great for those who are a little uneasy about jumping right into a sport or event where a man’s or coed team presence can sometimes be intimidating. Am I only going to participate in women only races? No probably not, but I am down for 1-2 a year.
Beka recently posted..Talk DIRTY to me!

21 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer October 4, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Looks like you guys had fun! I have to say doing the Chicago race did boost my confidence and made me feel strong when finishing. It was an a challenging by achievable course. I had been intimidated of obstacles until that race and it gave me the confidence to rock out the Warrior Dash last weekend. So glad to work with you on this project!!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..2012 Warrior Dash Missouri Recap

22 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm

That run sounds like so much fun! Seriously, you had me at muddy and obstacle course (the Warrior Dash was my favorite race to date). Girl power! I hope they have one in the New England area!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..My Food Story Part III: Where I am Today

23 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners October 4, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I agree with PPs, I think that the real appeal to these races is for newbies. The second tri I ever did was in the Danskin series – and while it was a GREAT event, I def missed having men around. I happen to like the competitive vibe they bring to events (and those rock hard bodies don’t hurt either!). Personally, I would love to see some all ladies events that are kinda hardcore in terms of pushing ourselves, etc. It feels to me that a lot of the woman-only events are just about finishing (which again, is a great goal for newcomers) but for ladies who are interested in pushing themselves, these leave me cold. It feels a little like “woo-hoo, girl power, just get across the line and then we can go back to doing our hair and nails!”
Does anyone know of any all-women events that appeal to athletes that have been around the block a time or two and aren’t intimidated by races but would still like an all girls events just to mix it up?
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..What I Saw When I Ran Wednesdays

24 ce October 4, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I don’t think that I would participate in a female-only race. I think that these events are kind of sexist and promote the idea that women can’t do the real stuff so they need an event of their own. I like much more events like Spartan races that promote the presence of female via Spartan Chicks, even if I know that this is mostly for marketing reasons. And I agree that the whole girl power thing is really overdone. Plus, I would be afraid that the intensity level just wouldn’t be there. But I can see why it could be appealing to a newbie, it’s just not the kind of event that is appealing to me. For me, the main things in that type of race are the obstacles (I want them difficult and unique!), the course description (hilly please!) and the location. And a cute shirt and a medal never hurt. Pink Wine or pink champagne would also be great at the end of the race!

25 Life's a Bowl October 4, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I think I’d be more inclined to do a Pretty Muddy race over a Spartan race just knowing that I’m surrounded by women and not burley men that would kick my butt while I’m face down in the mud :P Aka for some reason I have this image in my head that girls would be nicer and help me up?! A girl can dream…
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Instant Art: Healthy Eats & Tasty Treats

26 ce October 4, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I’ve done the spartan beast in Vermont two weeks ago and everybody was very nice and supportive, men as much as women. And I received help from both men and women to get over some pretty high walls. I must admit that I was impressed by how great the atmosphere was! Everybody was helping and encouraging the other competitors!

27 Life's a Bowl October 5, 2012 at 9:30 am

One of my good friends did one this past summer! I cheered him on from the sidelines but it looked like a blast!
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Favorite Finds Friday 10.5.12 / Charlie’s Birthday

28 Michelle October 4, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I just did the Columbus Pretty Muddy — It was awesome!! And a free cup of wine (or beer) at the end :) I have done warrior dash also, and I’d say as far as difficulty of the race, the terrain was comparable (PM was at the ski mountain, so we essentially ran up, then down the mountain), the obstacles were easier but still very fun. What was cool was seeing people’s husbands/boyfriends/male counterparts there to support them!