Practice Motivation

by Meghann on October 2, 2012

Want to guarantee a full swim practice? Text the following photo the night before with the tagline “How about some motivation to come to swim practice in the morning?”

Pumpkin rolls.jpeg

Well played, Stephanie. Well played.

Obviously I wasn’t about to pass up homemade pumpkin cinnamon rolls – I was at the pool bright and early, ready to swim. :)

We swam roughly 2000 meters (filled with drills and progressive sets) and earned our prize.

8a2f31720c8f11e2b70422000a1e8867_7.jpeg

I vote we have homemade pumpkin cinnamon rolls at every practice. What can I say? I’m motivated by food! These rolls rocked! Thanks, Stephanie!

After I made it home and showered, it was time for breakfast #2

2 eggs

and a crunchy apple

For lunch, I heated up some of last night’s leftover roasted acorn squash and chickpeas with a chicken apple sausage.

I threw a couple of handfuls of spinach in at the last minute and let them cook just long enough until they were slightly wilted. Some crumbled feta finished the dish off.

I worked from Starbucks this afternoon and brought a snack to nibble on with my iced coffee: mixed nuts with cinnamon Cheerios.

IMG_1839.JPG IMG_1840.JPG

My inspiration for dinner.

I picked up the recipe card at Publix on Sunday. I thought it was creative and looked easy enough to pull off on a weeknight. Only I made a few slight modifications by removing the bacon, switching out the alfredo sauce for marinara, and using chicken breast I chopped and cooked myself instead of the pre-packaged stuff.

Layer 1: marinara sauce and ravioli

Layer 2: a layer of the spinach, chicken, and cheese mix plus more marinara

Layer 3: more ravioli

Layer 4: the rest of spinach, chicken, and cheese mix, marinara sauce, and cheese

Baked at 400 for 25 minutes.

Next time I would use less cheese (I’m also glad I went the marinara route, the alfredo would have made the dish way too rich). Besides that, I thought it was really good. Almost like a quick lasagna without all the work. :)

I served the rest of the tomato, artichoke, and spinach salad from Sunday’s cookout on the side.

Ice cream for dessert!

I updated the wedding page today! Check out what we’re doing for a photo booth.

Not much going on tonight. Derek and I watched a special on ESPN regarding professional athletes who squander their millions and eventually have to file for bankruptcy. It was really interesting to hear their side of the story. Bad investments, child support, multiple homes, wanting to support everyone that helped you get to that point, etc – that stuff adds up. And once their career stops, so do the paychecks. Mo money, mo problems. i think the biggest issue a lot of professional athletes face is learning to say “no.”

The special was called “30 for 30″ – I’d recommend it.

TIme for bed.

Good night!

1 Natalie October 2, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I would do just about anything with that kind of motivation :)

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 2, 2012 at 11:24 pm

My co-worker and I were talking about the athlete money squandering phenomenon at work on Sunday!! What a coincidence. It really is a shame — think about what better use all that money could have gone towards.
I am all about the added motivation to get to practice — I have the day off tomorrow before run practice in the evening, I might need to whip something together. ;)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..October Goals!!

3 Jenn October 2, 2012 at 11:26 pm

30 for 30 is a weekly series on ESPN that features different athlete stories every week. Usually they are so emotional I cry! The new season started this week.

4 Annette @FitnessPerks October 2, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Pumpkin cinnamon rolls–YUMM!

That dinner does look easy/yummy. Sweet!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Super Food: Kale

5 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife October 2, 2012 at 11:42 pm

30 for 30 tends to suck me in with their stories.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..The Great Outdoors

6 meghan October 2, 2012 at 11:43 pm

They were making that at the aprons center sunday when i went in to pick stuff up. I had it but with the alfredo. It was rich. I was wondering if it would be good with marinara. I have the recipe in my purse and will have to add it to the menu plan. Thanks for sharing!
meghan recently posted..It’s my Birthday!

7 Meghann October 3, 2012 at 11:02 am

They had it all set up, but they weren’t serving the dish while I was there. :( Still, all the ingredients were already up front so I just grabbed them and trusted it would be good. I thought it was great with marinara so – yes! – try it. Also, i’d probably halve the cheese (unless you guys like it really cheesy :) )

8 Julie October 3, 2012 at 12:18 am

30 for 30 is actually the name of a series — not only this episode. Just FYI!

9 Kelsie October 3, 2012 at 12:20 am

Was coming here to say just that. I love every single 30 for 30 I’ve watched. So great.

10 Juli D. October 3, 2012 at 7:49 am

Yup, this 30 for 30 film was actually called “Broke.” I love the series – they just showed up On Demand Netflix so I’ve been watching them all. :-)

11 Becky @ runfundone October 3, 2012 at 1:18 am

Yes. I will allow your friend to share some of those rolls with me next time.
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..What Exactly Does one do with Tofu?

12 Cait @ Beyond Bananas October 3, 2012 at 6:01 am

Those raviolis looks really good! I’ve been craving ravioli lately. My husband had some when we went out to dinner last weekend and I’ve wanted some every since!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Tales of a Crock Pot Newbie

13 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 3, 2012 at 7:18 am

Haha that is some serious motivation to go to swim practice! And I’m a big marinara fan, but not an alfredo fan, I don’t like things that are too rich and creamy (and yes, I know a ton of people would think I’m crazy for that!).
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Balanced Meals

14 molly @ heart, sole & cereal October 3, 2012 at 7:29 am

i loooooooove all the 30 for 30′s on ESPN, they are seriously all so fascinating. those pumpkin rolls look to die for, they might even motivate me to get in the pool, which let’s be honest is not something i ever do.
molly @ heart, sole & cereal recently posted..wiaw: happy birthday gurl!

15 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 3, 2012 at 8:11 am

I don’t swim but even I would be motivated to give it a shot for those cinnamon rolls. They look delicious!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW # 3–Upping My Protein.

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 3, 2012 at 9:09 am

Who those cinnamon rolls look amazing! And they’re pumpkin?! I’ve got a ticket to the pumpkin train and I’m not planning on getting off…maybe ever! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..WIAW / Zucchini Protein Muffin Recipe

17 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian October 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

I watched the same special last night. I loved how the one coach was teaching the players that they needed to downsize. Cars? You get one. Houses? You get one. It makes so much sense, but I think professional athletes don’t necessarily get the right training on how to handle money properly.
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #26: Cilantro Lime Shrimp {What I Ate Wednesday}

18 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 3, 2012 at 9:16 am

30 for 30 has some great episodes, my BF and I watch them a lot. I’ll have to keep an eye out for that one. Everytime I see one of your posts with acorn squash I start drooling instantly. I need to actually make some soon.!
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese

19 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 3, 2012 at 11:10 am

Those cinnamon rolls look yummy! :) I love your dinner. That is such a good idea for a quick and easy meal.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Easy Coconut Crusted Tilapia!…

20 Coco October 3, 2012 at 11:17 am

Oh yum! I love this idea with the ravioli.. I’m totally going to make a vegetarian version of this.. my husband will love it!

21 Maggie October 3, 2012 at 11:17 am

Damn, you just reminded me that I forgot to watch Broke last night. I love the 30 For 30 series. Off to see when it repeats…
Maggie recently posted..Austerity Measures: An Update

22 Emily N October 3, 2012 at 11:18 am

That dinner looks great. Plus you are getting lots of veggies with the spinach. Nice! I will definitely give that a whirl.
Emily N recently posted..Bourbon Chase 2012 – Part III

23 Life's a Bowl October 3, 2012 at 2:55 pm

LOVE the idea of a ravioli bake! I’ve seen this idea a few times before as a quick lasagna but always forget about it! I’d love to try it with some butternut squash ravioli this fall :)
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..First Month as a Mrs.

24 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 3, 2012 at 4:55 pm

That looks amazing! And you’re right, easy enough for a weeknight. Yes. Ok, dumb question: Do you need to cook the ravioli BEFORE you put this dish in the oven??
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Eat More Vegetables…’Cause I Said So!

25 Meghann October 3, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Nope – no pre-cooking needed.