Hello, October.

by Meghann on October 1, 2012

Welcome to October!

October is one my favorite months. There’s just something about the month that makes me happy. I think it’s the cooler fall-like weather with the promise that winter isn’t too far behind. I also love the rich orange, red, and brown colors that take over the month, the fact that my favorite apples are finally in season (I’m looking at you, Honeycrisp!), the build-up to Halloween (still need to think of a costume!), and after the bustle and hustle of summer, it feels like October is always a good month to take a nice breather before the holidays proceed to take over everyone’s lives. In a word, October simply rocks. :)

My October started off this morning with a nice 4 mile run. Unfortunately the slightly cooler weather we enjoyed last week has pretty much disappeared. When we were leaving the cookout yesterday a friend who was visiting from Maryland made a comment about how weird it was that night had fallen and it hadn’t cooled down outside at all. It was pitch black and still 85 degrees at 8:00pm. Welcome to Florida… where it’s still hot at night, even on the last day of September. :)

However, the heat didn’t stop me from making a bowl of hot oats for breakfast.

In the oats:

• 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup almond milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • chia seeds
  • cinnamon
  • raisins

On top:

• pear
  • granola
  • walnuts

The pear was good this morning. Just the right amount of ripeness and juciness.

What are you looking forward to in October?

I’m looking forward to sending out wedding invitations(!!), a wedding in Virginia in 2 weeks, Food and Wine Festival at Epcot, and my 70.3 at the end of the month. It’s going to be a good month. :)

1 Rebecca October 1, 2012 at 10:12 am

I’m looking forward to pumpkin pie – lots and lots of pumpkin pie :-)
Rebecca recently posted..What is next….

2 Sincere Leon October 1, 2012 at 10:34 am

I want to travel with my family in this October.
Sincere Leon recently posted..proyectos de electrificación rural benefician a Chiriquí

3 Courtney October 1, 2012 at 10:36 am

I’m looking forward to the Food and Wine Festival as well. Already have my countries (and drinks) mapped out for optimal “taste-age”! ;)

4 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 1, 2012 at 10:51 am

October is my favorite month too! For all the reasons above, plus my birthday is in October!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..October Goals

5 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Happy Birthday Month!

6 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale October 1, 2012 at 10:56 am

I love that you used the mug with the snowflakes for your breakfast!! You’re getting into the cooler mindset, even if Florida isn’t!
This morning was more mild up here in Ottawa than it was last week — in the 50s as opposed to hovering near freezing. Perfect to keep me from getting too sweaty on my run.
The leaves are already starting to switch colours, which I love, but I’m also looking forward to a really good evening thunderstorm and curling up near the fire with a cup of tea watching the lightning. Fall storms are my favourite. :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..September Foodie Pen Pal Reveal

7 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I use the snowflake mug year around. I love snowflakes no matter what time of the year it is. :)

I wish the leaves changed colors down here, but sadly we have to drive north to witness that. :(

8 Kelly October 2, 2012 at 10:48 am

Meghann, just curious: Do you actually like snow and snowflakes when you go north and are in it? Haha. I just ask because I am from Montana, and I HATE snow – hated it for the 21 years I was raised there – and can’t imagine liking anything to do with it. However, give me a palm tree and I am usually pretty happy. Just wondering if you like the IDEA of snow, being a FL girl or if you genuinely like snow/snowflakes!

9 Meghann October 2, 2012 at 10:51 am

I really do love snow!! I go skiing at least once a year and haven’t missed a winter seeing snow since I was a little girl. I think we always want what we don’t have. I get tired of the heat and love to visit the snow, just like I’m sure you get tired of the snow and love to visit the heat. :) Personally, I get tired of palm trees.;)

10 Lindsey October 1, 2012 at 10:57 am

Halloween and pumpkin carving! I love handing out candy to the kids :)
Lindsey recently posted..Opening Pumpkin

11 Steph October 1, 2012 at 11:00 am

I adore October and cannot wait to pass out trick or treats, and watching It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown. So fun!
Steph recently posted..October Beauty

12 Brittany @Berries and Barbells October 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

Halloween with my kids! They are finally getting old enough to get excited about it.
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..Banana Muffins

13 Dione October 1, 2012 at 11:11 am

I would say cooler temps but it’s like the surface of the sun here. So instead I’ll just say that pears are my favorite oatmeal add in. Enjoy!!

14 Life's a Bowl October 1, 2012 at 11:17 am

Yay for wedding invitations- I was so excited [*after* we had addressed and stamped them all] to send ours out :) And the VA wedding you’re attending should be bea-uuu-tiful, although I might be a little biased since I’m a born and bred and residing Virginian :D This fall my #1 bucket list to-do is to go apple picking!!!

15 Kayla October 1, 2012 at 11:18 am

October – I love fall – I LOVE that the school year is up and going and doesn’t take as many hours a week as September. I love that the colors change! I can’t wait for my trip to DC with my husband for the Marine Corp Marathon!

16 Laura October 1, 2012 at 11:19 am

I always watch for the day when the leaves change :) October just has such pretty colors AND Halloween is my favorite holiday!
Laura recently posted..Runs, Eats, and Woofs

17 Laura October 1, 2012 at 11:38 am

Can’t believe your half ironman is so soon! Do you feel like working with a team and coach in the pool will make a big difference this year?

18 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 11:50 am

I’m not sure. I haven’t been doing any open water swims, so it’s hard to judge from here. We’ll see what happens on race day!

19 Maureen @ Organically Mo October 1, 2012 at 11:43 am

October is usually my favorite month, but we’re supposed to have temps in the 90′s for the next week or 2, so I am really bummed! I am usually a sucker for fall colors and foods that warm me up!
Maureen @ Organically Mo recently posted..October #Unprocessed 2012

20 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I hear ya. It was 91 when I was outside today!

21 Dani @ Live Lightly October 1, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I enjoy the changes from summer to fall as well, although in Chicago the weather is already getting pretty chilly! Any advice for running in cooler weather?? I am just starting the C25K training plan and it’s tough because I am doing it all outside in the early morning when it is cold, and I was always more of a treadmill runner. So that is what I am looking forward to this October – Training for my first ever 5K and the birth of my God Son!
Dani @ Live Lightly recently posted..October Goals

22 Cher @ Weddicted October 1, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Yay for sending out wedding invitations. It’s so exciting receiving the R.S.V.P.s until you’re waiting and waiting for certain people to give you a responce!
I’m looking forward to Vegas!!! in a couple weeks!
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..Bridal Shower Alternatives

23 Priscilla P October 1, 2012 at 12:12 pm

This by far will be my most exciting October! I’m flying out to London tomorrow and my birthday is during the week I’m there. :) I’m also getting over a cold and hope it will stay away…lol~
Priscilla P recently posted..wantin’ wishin’

24 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Happy early birthday! I wish I was going to London (I’ve never been!) Have fun!

25 Hillary October 1, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I love October, too. I’m looking forward to checking out some wedding venues later this month!
Hillary recently posted..Pumpkin Season

26 Katy Widrick October 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm

To my BABY!!!!!!
Katy Widrick recently posted..REVIEW: Fashion Forward Maternity

27 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I’m looking forward to that too! Come on, Baby Widrick!!!

28 natalie @ will jog for food October 1, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I’m looking forward to my wedding anniversary, October 30th :)
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..What I Expected to Expect

29 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 1, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I’m looking forward to eating lots of pumpkin and fall veggies, watching the leaves change and running in them when they fall to the ground, and going apple picking for the second time this year and cooking a lot with my pickings! I LOVE Fall! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Rocked!

30 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 1, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I am hands down looking forward to getting back on the trail! We have a hike scheduled for a few weekends from now. I can’t wait! I also have a wedding anniversary coming up this month :)
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Weekend in Pictures

31 Annette @FitnessPerks October 1, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I do like October–the Fall leaves are gorgeous in the mountains!! I am looking forward to eating pumpkin bread, getting pumpkins & carving them, and eating some fun candy on Halloween :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..BodyPUMP Release 83 Review

32 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 1, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I’m jealous of your warm weather! It’s supposed to be a pretty nice week in NYC though, so I’m just happy it’s warm enough to pull off my summer dresses by layering with jean jackets, cardigans etc. I’m not ready to wear tights and heavy jackets! I eat hot oats in warm weather, too. I never hopped on the overnight oats bandwagon, although I think I need to give ‘em another shot! I need a new time-saving breakfast.
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Build a Better Smoothie

33 Melissa October 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I love October because it’s my birthday month! (The 14th…less than 2 weeks!). This year I also have the Long Beach half marathon on the 7th and a dear friend’s wedding the day before my birthday. October rocks!

34 Dani @ Live Lightly October 1, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I am most looking forward to the birth of my God Son! But, aside from that because it really does not get much more exciting… I am looking forward to training for my FIRST EVER 5K! Do you have any advice??
Dani @ Live Lightly recently posted..October Goals

35 Su October 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Wow! the half ironman is so close! Do you feel well trained? Seems like this year training was more relaxed than last year.

Yay on wedding invitations!

36 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I can’t believe it either! I know I’m nto where I should be for training, but I also know I can finish the race. :)

37 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 1, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I’m looking forward to Thanksgiving (woot Canadian!), my birthday and Halloween. :-D
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Fitness Plans and Puppies.

38 Debbie B. October 1, 2012 at 6:38 pm

It’s my birthday so I have always loved October. Go Libras. We are the balance in the world. I am also looking forward to the Epcot food and wine festival, halloween decorating, and the St. Pete Farmers Market.

39 Lindsey @ Goldilocks and the 3 Bodies October 2, 2012 at 9:23 am

I’m all about adding granola to oats lately too!Especially loving a maple flavor right now by some no-name brand. I’m looking forward to my birthday this month, a trip to the Orlando area next week, and hopefully some success on WW

Do you have any suggestions of outdoor activities /walking areas/running paths for a young lady visiting Orlando alone? Really excited for my trip because I love October but hate cold weather!
Lindsey @ Goldilocks and the 3 Bodies recently posted..Start Your Week Spicy: Black Bean Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

40 Meghann October 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Check out my “Keeping fit in Orlando” page http://mealsandmiles.com/my-orlando/keeping-fit-in-orlando/ There’s a post linked there with my favorite places to run in Orlando. Have fun!!

41 Lindsey @ Goldilocks and the 3 Bodies October 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Thanks– perfect! I guess I missed that, even though it’s right in front of my face. :)

42 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 2, 2012 at 9:52 am

Love the mini tribute to October at the beginning of this post! It’s my birthday month so it’s always been one of my favorites!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..My Food Story Part I: High School, College, and My Early Twenties

43 Stacey D October 2, 2012 at 10:48 am

I <3 <3 <3 honeycrisp apples!!!! They are practically a meal because they're so big! I have them in my fruit bowl all of the time.
Stacey D recently posted..What’s For Dinner Wednesday

44 Emily N October 2, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I am looking forward to the Cbus marathon (my focus since the Pig!), going to Frankenmuth with my mom and sister, and trying to remember what life is like when you AREN’T training for a marathon. :-)
Emily N recently posted..Bourbon Chase 2012 – Part II

45 Sonia the Mexigarian October 2, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I love October too. Last week there was a little bit of a chill in the air, but yesterday it was like 100* on my porch out back. Indian Summer. ;) Though i do like the fall (whenever its going to appear) cooler weather to run in. Looking forward to the 3 art festivals i am participating in, Halloween, Dia de los Muertos and my birthday!
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Hungry like Thor. . . Whiny like Loki. . .