more ยป" />

Never Leave Home Without a Snack

by Meghann on September 30, 2012

A couple of years ago I was the emergency snack queen. No matter where we went, I always had a bar, bag of nuts, or dried fruit stashed in my purse just incase something happened between meals and that “hangry” feeling started to set in. I’m not sure when I stopped doing that, but somewhere along the way I dropped that habit and, lately, it’s been biting me in the butt.

And today was a prime example. Lesson learned – never leave the house without an emergency snack in tow.

Derek and I were meeting friends for a cookout at 2:00. I delayed eating lunch (only nibbling on a few bites of tomato and artichoke as I made a salad for the cookout) since I thought the 2:00 start time meant we were eating at 3:00 and I didn’t want to ruin my appetite. It wasn’t until I got there that I discovered we weren’t eating until after 6:30 and my tummy was already grumbling – my last full meal was a plate of waffles at 9:00.

When I’m hungry, I get very tired and very quiet. I felt bad because I pretty much stuck to myself the whole night and didn’t engage in much conversation. It’s not that I’m not an outgoing person – I was just hungry and didn’t know anyone well enough to ask for a snack. (edited to add: our hosts were AWESOME and very welcoming, I was the awkward shy one who didn’t think to eat before hand. This was my fault, not theirs.)

When they did bring out chips and queso about an hour after we arrived, I almost jumped for joy.

20120930_161535.jpg

I had a few, but they weren’t as satisfying as I had hoped – I needed real food or something with a little more substance to hold me over.

Eventually the chickens came out of the smoker and we had to wait an additional 30 minutes so they could cool. I told our host they would consider that torture in some countries. They smelled so good!

20120930_173957.jpg

And when he did eventually start carving them, I was like a dog picking at the scraps as he loaded up the serving plate with meat. I had no shame at this point. ;)

20120930_184129.jpg

Finally – dinner time!

20120930_184755.jpg

The wait was worth it (I knew it would be). Everything from the smoked chicken to the grilled asparagus, to the artichoke, tomato, and spinach salad I brought was delicious.

20120930_185045.jpg

Finally, my belly was happy. Just in time to leave, right? I hate how that happens.

Lesson learned: next time I’ll remember to bring an emergency snack, even if I’m going to a place I think I won’t need it.

This happened on the way home.

20120930_200545.jpg

It was on our way home and it didn’t take much to convince Derek to turn into the parking lot.

20120930_200914.jpg

Delicious.

Have you ever been caught without a snack when you needed one? Any “hangry” moments?

1 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 30, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I’m TERRIBLE for getting the hangries!! I get very silent and start to brood, until something goes wrong. Then I will inevitably get either angry and yell or just start to cry. Especially now that I’ve discovered my food intolerances and finding snacks on the go has become that much more difficult, I’ve made it a point of bringing snacks everywhere with me. Coming from an eating disordered background, it’s strange, and something that I really haven’t done since grade school, but I like it. I feel like I’m always prepared to give my body exactly what it needs. :)

2 Steph September 30, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I usually get the hangries at school during the day while I’m teaching. I always keep snacks in my desk drawer or school bad in case it hits!

3 Jill September 30, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I ALWAYS travel with food and water. Even if I just go down the street to the library. :) Maybe I have a fear of starvation…hahha..no I just don’t want to have to grab junk food!

4 Brittany @Berries and Barbells September 30, 2012 at 11:44 pm

I ALWAYS bring snacks wherever I go. With kids it is a necessity and carrying food for them made me realize I like to have healthy snacks when I’m out and about too!

5 Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles October 1, 2012 at 12:22 am

They should have had heavy appetizers out at the party if they invited everyone so early! The exact same thing happened to me a few months ago though- I thought they were serving lunch and nothing arrived until dinner. I literally thought I was going to pass out. Worst feeling ever!

6 Becky @ runfundone October 1, 2012 at 12:50 am

I’m really good about bringing snacks to work, but not so good about it when I’m going anywhere besides work. When I get hungry, I’m like a toddler. I get really moody and angry and sad. My husband is pretty good about it. He knows if I say, “I’m so hungry, I might cry,” it means to get me food ASAP. Every guy I ever dated at some point had an experience with me getting upset for no logical reason and then saying, “You forgot to FEED me!!!”

7 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 10:04 am

I’m the same way. One time I actually did cry because I was so hungry and it threw Derek completely off. I’m such a baby when I need food.

8 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 1, 2012 at 1:25 am

i always have trail mix or a fruit/nut bar in my backpack in case i get the munchies in class! i also am that crazy person that keeps stevia packets in my wallet for coffee ;) & that froyo looks so good!

9 Army Amy* October 1, 2012 at 4:14 am

I’m one of those people who snacks on the regular. I need my morning snack and my afernoon snack. No food from 9am until 6:30?! Yikes! I woulda been one cranky lady!*

10 Cait @ Beyond Bananas October 1, 2012 at 6:20 am

There have definitely been a few times when I’ve been at work and went to get a snack in my drawer.. only to find I”ve eaten them all already. I do need to control my hangry-ness though.. since I work with 5 year olds!

11 Sara @my less serious life October 1, 2012 at 6:38 am

i actually try to snack BEFORE i go to a party with food like that. otherwise i get cranky and hugely overeat.

12 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats October 1, 2012 at 6:49 am

I am miserable when hangry! I always make sure to eat something before I head to a gathering in case food isn’t ready or there are no healthy options.

13 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 1, 2012 at 7:07 am

I always forget to carry snacks with me. I usually end up bringing some for my husband because he is always hungry.

14 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats October 1, 2012 at 7:48 am

Haha I always have a snack on me now, especially since I often end up at places where I can’t eat anything. I also have to eat every 3 hours or so or I get hangry! I can’t even imagine missing lunch all together!

15 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom October 1, 2012 at 7:48 am

I am a first class B when I get overly hungry!!! I usually try to carry a pack of almonds or a bar of some sort if I know I will be going without food for a while but I am not always the best at remembering.

16 Lauren October 1, 2012 at 8:14 am

I used to be the same way and lately, I’ve been forgetting to keep a stash. I blame it on my change of purse. I went down a size and can’t fit as much in anymore. But I ALWAYS seem to have an almond butter packet in there. ;)

17 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 10:07 am

I know what you mean. I got tired of carrying a big purse and downsized, now I can’t fit anything in it but my wallet and cellphone which is both a blessing and a curse. :)

18 Cher @ Weddicted October 1, 2012 at 8:42 am

I usually bring an emergency snack everywhere, too. It’s easy to forget or think you won’t need it when you’re going to someone’s house for lunch, dinner, etc. I still do if I remember, because I’m a vegetarian and sometimes you never know what will be there.

19 April October 1, 2012 at 8:54 am

I have definitely become an emergency snack person! I get light headed and nauseous if I get really, really hungry so I feel like I always need to be prepared. I will say that reading all the healthy living blogs has given me so many more ideas of things I can bring with me. An Uber bar and small snack pack of almonds have save the day many times.

20 Hillary October 1, 2012 at 9:00 am

I’m a little bit like a toddler in this sense—if I don’t have a snack when I need one, things get ugly really fast. There have been a handful of times where my boyfriend has stopped, looked at me, and said, “Do you need a snack now?” Hangry doesn’t begin to explain it!

21 Kati October 1, 2012 at 9:01 am

why didn’t you just ask your friends if you could have a little pre-dinner snack? True friends wouldn’t care!

22 Lauren October 1, 2012 at 9:30 am

or run out a grab yourself a snack at the store

23 Jess October 1, 2012 at 9:53 am

Or eat lunch? Yes, they probably should have had more out than chips and queso, but hey, it’s not their fault that you hadn’t eatten since 9am.

24 Brianne October 1, 2012 at 10:17 am

If people invited you over for 2:00 why would you assume you ate at 3:00? Seems like the mistake was entirely you fault and it seems a bit rude to imply they aren’t good host on a public blog.

25 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 10:24 am

I never said they weren’t good hosts – they were awesome hosts! – when I first, first heard about the cookout the eating time was 3:00ish, it got pushed back the day-of and I didn’t discover that until I arrived. This was 100% my own fault and I take all of the credit for not being prepared. I should have ate lunch before hand and I paid the consequences. I only wrote this post because I know people go through similar situations where they think one thing about food and discover something different, so it’s always smart to have a snack just in case (or eat before hand because you don’t know what’s going to happen).

26 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 10:19 am

Oh, I agree – I totally should have ate lunch before hand, that was my own fault. I assumed we were eating at one time and assumed wrong. I would have ran out to get something after I arrived, but I didn’t know them well enough and thought leaving to get food would have been rude. They were awesome for having us over and feeding us, I just felt bad that I had made the mistake.

27 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 10:11 am

I didn’t know them well enough to ask. I get really shy when I’m in a house full of people I don’t know and didn’t want to be rude.

28 ashley October 1, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I totally understand not wanting to ask for a snack because your afraid of being rude. I’m painful shy and can truly relate. However this post comes off a bit passive aggressive (I’m assuming that wasn’t your intention) and in my opinion is a lot ruder then asking for a snack because you didn’t eat lunch. If you just wanted to remind people to bring a snack I think you could have left a lot of the details out.

29 stephanie October 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I totally agree with ashley. I truly don’t think it was your intention to insult your hosts, but I would have been mortified to read this post after inviting you over to my house. You added a lot of details that made them seem like terrible hosts without explaining that the mixup was your fault. The post brings up great, relatable points though- it just didn’t need so much detail.

30 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 1, 2012 at 9:04 am

I always bring a water bottle and Kashi granola bar with me. My days as a Girl Scout told me to always be prepared! ;)

31 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 1, 2012 at 9:27 am

I am the world’s worst at this! I’ve started carrying an emergency snack just for these occasions. I definitely get hangry! It’s awful!

32 ct cupcake October 1, 2012 at 9:32 am

the rotel dip looks pretty good though! I try to have a small snack before leaving since I will totally overeat party snacks(like rotel dip +chips). Why didn’t you ask the hosts if you could put out your salad early? If they friends, they probably wouldn’t have minded, they might have been so involved in other food prep that they didn’t realize others were hungry.

33 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 10:14 am

When I get in a big group of people I don’t know, I tend to freeze up and become shy. No one else seemed terribly hungry, so I was going with the flow.

34 Rebecca October 1, 2012 at 10:15 am

I would have been hungry-cranky too! I need my food :-) Some of my students told me last week that they don’t eat lunch. Not sure how they can function without a lunch! Working on getting some food in them!

I’m always fascinated with blog posts that feature amazing looking fro-yo. Totally don’t get that here in Ottawa – or at least in my suburb. If I want ice cream my choices are Dairy Queen or McD’s…..boring!

35 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 10:20 am

I don’t get that either! Derek didn’t eat lunch yesterday either, yet he was perfectly fine. It just goes to prove that everybody is different.

36 Rebecca October 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm

for sure! I didn’t get to eat lunch today til 2pm – apparently my grade 10 students noticed I was a bit ‘on edge’ this PM….hehe

37 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 1, 2012 at 10:22 am

I used to ALWAYS carry a bar or something in my purse, in my car, in my back pack, wherever and I too somehow got out of that habit and I’m not sure why. I should probably stash a couple granola bars in my glove compartment just in case and I’m working on that whole “bag in the purse” thing. It’s so important!

38 Kristen October 1, 2012 at 11:38 am

I almost always have food on hand…in my car, desk drawer, etc. If I’m out running errands or know I’ll be gone more than 2 hours, I grab my insulated lunch bag and toss in a greek yogurt and plastic spoon.

I would not think to bring a snack to a picnic however. It seems the hosts should have had appetizers on hand as folks were arriving. Rule of events/parties…ALWAYS, always have food when your guests arrive.

39 Emily N October 1, 2012 at 11:42 am

I am glad that your dinner was worth it, even though you got the hangries prior to that.

40 Katie @ A Full Plate October 1, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Oh my goodness…I totally feel ya on this one! I have a few friends in particular, where we all get “hangry” when we haven’t eaten. I always try to keep snacks around…I really should start carrying snacks like you suggested! When I’m hungry I’ll get kind of quiet and irritated. If we’re at a party though a drink or two will usually hold me over (liquid tends to fill me up).

41 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut October 1, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Ohh that sucks, but the meal looks like it was worth the wait! I’m actually getting pretty good at controlling my “hangry” levels. When my tummy is grumbling and I feel myself getting anxious, I just tell myself to chill out. Sometimes I really feel crazy for how antsy I get when I’m hungry, but I’ve learned to just accept that it happens and that I’ll eat when I get the next opportunity. I usually have a piece of fruit with me though, so it doesn’t happen often!

42 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 1, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I’m definitely a portable snack fiend. Always have a bar, apple or homemade energy ball stashed in my purse in case I need it!

Although fortunately the dinner looks awesome!

43 JennyBethW October 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I don’t think this is “jump down your throat” worthy (no pun intended), but it was nice of you to do the “edited to add” blurb. I didn’t take it as you bashing the hosts. Have you thought about leaving some snacks in your car? It’s probably hard with the heat sometimes, but as the temps cool down, maybe that’s a viable option so you don’t have to carry a back breaking bag?

44 Em October 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I am terrible about getting the hangries!!! I try to never leave the house without a water bottle and a snack, and I usually have a backup snack in my purse just in case.

45 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 2, 2012 at 9:51 am

This post cracked me up, mainly because I am the exact same way when I’m hungry and no food is in my near foreseeable future. I get super grouchy! The someecard sums it up perfectly “Sorry for what I said when I was hungry”. My purse is fresh out of snacks right now, gotta replenish the stash!

46 Caitlin October 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I always always always carry snacks. Always. Before going anywhere I look at the clock and estimate how long I’ll be gone and then pack the necessary snacks. I also pack snacks for the Fiance, as well. This habit started when I was trying to lose weight and knew if I were out and got hungry I’d end up getting an unhealthy snack from some convenience store, instead of something healthy I should be eating.