I missed a race

by Meghann on September 30, 2012

You know that reoccurring nightmare every runner has before a race where they sleep through their alarm and completely miss the start? Well, that nightmare finally caught up with me this morning. Only, I didn’t just miss setting my alarm – I completely forgot about the race!

I had registered for the Bare Dare 5k MONTHS ago (I even wrote a post promoting the race!), but for some reason I never put the race on my calendar. I knew the race was this morning, but since it wasn’t in bold on my calendar, my tired mind forgot about it when I went to bed last night. The sad part is that technically I woke up in plenty of time to get to the race, it just didn’t click that I needed to be out the door until it was too late. It wasn’t until I saw some tweets pop up about that race that I remembered I should have been there. Dratz!

So instead of racing this morning, I became a couch potato. I finished the first season of Once Upon a Time on NetFlix (can’t wait for the season 2 premiere tonight!) and watched the pilot of The Mindy Project ( loved it! Mindy is hilarious). Would I rather have been running? Probably – it would have been an AWESOME race – but spending some time being a couch potato wasn’t bad either. I can’t change it now, so there’s no sense beating myself up over it.

Have you ever accidentally slept through or forgot about a race you were registered for?

Question: What do you do when you’re in the mood for waffles, but are out of eggs?

Answer: Google “vegan waffles” ;)

Technically I googled “pumpkin vegan waffles” and came across this recipe for vegan pumpkin waffles from Post Punk Kitchen.

Thankfully, I had all the ingredients on hand for this recipe. 20 minutes later – I had waffles.

The waffles were good. Nice and pumpkiny with just the right amount of spice. I liked how the recipe required an entire can of pumpkin and a good amount of cloves (I <3 cloves!).

I topped my waffles with raisins, walnuts, and some PB2.

No eggs needed. :)

1 Erica September 30, 2012 at 11:33 am

oh no! Oh well! Wasn’t meant to be. Those waffles look ridiculous good! Enjoy your Sunday
Erica recently posted..Fall (?) Weekend

2 Brittany @Berries and Barbells September 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

What a bummer about missing the race. I am signed up for my first race (a half marathon) in a couple weeks and now you have me panicked that my alarm won’t go off!!!

Those waffles look INCREDIBLE. I haven’t had breakfast yet and these just might be on the menu this morning!
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..Healthy French Toast

3 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Ooops! Sure your not the first one – I’m sure there’s other naked races out there. :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Sunday Survey – All About Fall.

4 Carly September 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I am glad I am not the only one who googles for vegan recipes when out of key ingredients! Honestly half the time the dairy or egg free recipes are even better than the traditional counterparts!

Just…don’t ever, ever, try to make pizza dough with vanilla almond milk. It doesn’t end well.

5 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 30, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Haha I certainly don’t think I’ll forget about my next race!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Race Mantras

6 Melissa September 30, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I think it is drats…..

7 Meghann September 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I know. I added the z for personality. :)

8 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats September 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm

bummer on missing the race! But with waffles like that it’s hard to stay sad for too long :)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..The day I successfully poached an egg

9 Hayley September 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Your blog serves as a constant reminder that I need a waffle maker!

10 Silvia @ skinny jeans food September 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I think I would also subconsciously forget about another butt nakid race.. :-)
Silvia @ skinny jeans food recently posted..Beet and fig salad

11 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 30, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I ran my first race this morning (!!!) and definitely had the nerves of over sleeping because I initially woke up at 4 this morning when I didn’t have to be up until 5:45. But thankfully I did not miss it and had a great race.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..I Run For Hope

12 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 30, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Oh no! And you were looking forward to it too!! Bummer!
However, I’m all for turning a lost race into relaxation. If your brain was that tired, it probably needed the rest.
I’ve never missed a race, but in university a friend fell asleep at the top floor of the library and missed the start of a final exam. He made it to the hall with literally two minutes to spare before the final cut-off. I can only imagine the adrenaline that must have been running through his body while writing!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..SES #6 — Compliments

13 Jennifer September 30, 2012 at 3:09 pm

That reminds me I need to put a reminder for Once Upon A Time on my calendar, and that I’m out of PB2!
Jennifer recently posted..Burnout

14 Rachelle September 30, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I arrived to a trail race a minute before it started yesterday after sitting in the car for 2 hours..i was very fortunate to have my friend pick up my packet beforehand. Was able to do the race, but started 2 minutes late.

15 Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets September 30, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Maybe since the nightmare became reality you won’t have the nightmare anymore.

16 Bianca September 30, 2012 at 4:36 pm

You know you’re a prolific racer when you actually forget about a race. Lol! If your blog is any indication, I’d venture a guess that you deserve the rest! :)
Bianca recently posted..Hewlisk

17 madge | the vegetarian cammsserole queen September 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I’ve totally forgotten about PLENTY of things that I had had every intention of attending!

There’s always the next one!

18 Lauren September 30, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Those waffles look great. We almost always have eggs but even so I always have egg replacer on hand for those situations or vegan guests.

And I’ve yet to miss a race I’ve signed up for but I did sleep through my alarm for my SATs. Whoops. Over 10 years ago but still haunts me ;)
Lauren recently posted..Parks and Rec

19 Emily N September 30, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Nice job with the vegan waffles! They look pretty delicious!

Sorry about the race. There will be more, I suppose!
Emily N recently posted..Week 15 in Review – The Bourbon Chase and 50 Miles!

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I am so looking forward to Once Upon a Time tonight!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Weekend in Pictures

21 Lauren September 30, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I like to think everything happens for a reason. Always look at it that way, it just wasn’t meant to be for some reason or another. ;)
Lauren recently posted..Friday Things: New Products and a Fall Salad

22 Steph September 30, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I’m always fearful of not waking up for something, anything! I usually set multiple alarms and have my boyfriend set backup alarms on his phone too (when it’s something really important). I’m a deep sleeper and very forgetful! I’ve yet to sleep through a race though. “Fingers crossed”
Steph recently posted..October Beauty

23 Aubrey September 30, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I slept through my 10k today too. I hit the weekday only alarm button on my phone so no alarm for me :( Are you going to do that race next year?

I love post punk kitchen!

24 Ike October 1, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Oh, I missed you! Instead I had a good race as well as in Cypress 5k.