Go Noles

by Meghann on September 29, 2012

GO NOLES!!!!

P9290003.JPG

Derek and I have been looking forward to this day for MONTHS. MONTHS. Seriously, as soon as the schedule came out – and we knew the exact date that FSU would be playing USF in Tampa – we got our calendars out and circled it twice. We’re both HUGE FSU fans (we met at FSU in 2005, then reconnected at a homecoming football game in 2008) and love going to the games in Tallahassee (our last trip up there was in 2009), but finding the time to go see a game doesn’t always work out in our favor. Having them come to us in Tampa was almost like winning the football lottery.

P9290002.JPG

I’ve never seen Derek so excited for a football game. He was like a little boy on Christmas morning. The Seminoles! Here! In Tampa! I know, babe. Calm down. :)

We spent the morning on a wild goose chase for an FSU jersey (we couldn’t find one for Derek, but I found a child’s jersey that worked for half the price – score!), then met up with some friends for a little tailgating.

P9290016.JPG

And guess who else was in town for the game?

P9290028.JPG

Derek’s brother came all the way from Maryland to watch the FSU/USF face off.

P9290008.JPG

Are you ready for some football?!?!

P9290020.JPG

Of course, no tailgating experience is complete without beer. i had two of the Sam Adams Octoberfest Derek and I brought.

P9290001.JPG

P9290005.JPG

I also had a sausage (with grilled onions – so good!)

P9290006.JPG

I made a veggie tray for tailgating (it got a little shaken up in the cooler), but I’m pretty sure Derek and I were the only ones who ate it. Oh, well – more for us!

P9290011.JPG

Publix cookies- amazing.

P9290017.JPG

Unpictured – piece of chicken + tortilla chips.

P9290024.JPG

It was interesting tailgating in bull country as a seminole. The group we were with were heavy USF fans, but there seemed to be a good mix of 50/50 FSU fans and USF fans when you started to walk around. There’s a strong base of FSU fans in the Tampa Bay area and we’re proud of our Noles!

P9290015.JPG

Around 5:30pm we started to pack up and head to the stadium for the 6:00pm game.

P9290030.JPG

Our tickets were through a friend-of-a-friend and the seats were AMAZING! About 20 rows up on the 35 yard line. Pretty sure I’ve never sat that close to a football field a day in my life. AWESOME way to watch a football game!

P9290038.JPG

P9290044.JPG

If you squint, you’ll see the FSU band. I’m sad they were so far away, but that didn’t stop us from rockin’ out to the FSU fight song every time they played it!

P9290036.JPG

F-L-O-R-I-D-A S-T-A-T-E Florida State! Florida State! Florida State! WOOOO

P9290052.JPG

The game itself was a surprisingly good game. To be honest, we went in expecting to destroy USF, but they managed to hold us off with some impressive defense. There were a few nail-biting moments that were a little intense in the crowd (I’m all for playful smack talk, but sometimes fans of opposing teams are just downright mean – that goes for BOTH sides here), but we made it through and came out ahead with a 30-17 victory.

P9290056.JPG

So proud to be a Seminole today! Even if we had lost, I would still be proud. Florida State isn’t just my team, it’s a part of my history, it’s a part of what makes me who I am. I spent four years falling in love with that school and I would do it all again in a heartbeat. A true fan to the very end. :)

Go Noles!

1 Alexandra September 30, 2012 at 12:09 am

I would love a veggie tray right now. I’m studying abroad in Moscow and every vegetable I come across is bathed in oil. I love it here, but I miss the satisfying crunch of a fresh carrot every once in awhile.

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 30, 2012 at 5:34 am

It looks like so much fun!! We don’t really have tailgating events like that all that much up here in Canada … you guys sure do love your football down there! They really look like a lot of fun though.
I’m thinking that the veggies looked quite out of place there. haha. Love that you brought them.
Also — Octoberfest beer + sausage combo = epic. Total no-brainer, but epic all the same. :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..SES #6 — Compliments

3 Tracy September 30, 2012 at 8:14 am

The intense crowd moments I saw up high mostly involved FSU fans trying to fight other FSU fans. I think as a fan base you guys are sending a mixed message there. ;)

4 Nadine M. September 30, 2012 at 8:53 am

So glad you ended up finding a ticket and got to go to the game!

5 Michelle September 30, 2012 at 9:35 am

Wooot! Go Noles! Glad you guys found tickets.
Michelle recently posted..Saturday Morning Motivation

6 Meghan R September 30, 2012 at 10:11 am

Even though I am a proud Gator myself, I LOVED your ending comments about being a true fan and your school being a part of your history. I feel the same way about my school and sometimes people just don’t get it. Glad you enjoyed your win :)

7 amyt September 30, 2012 at 10:59 am

GO NOLES!!! So cool that you guys were able to go!! We used to get season tickets…thinking about it again. There is nothing like being at the games!!!!!

8 Caroline September 30, 2012 at 11:08 am

How come everything at Publix is just so darn good?! Miss those Publix sandwiches…. Wish they delivered to Boston :)
Caroline recently posted..Outdoor options: Discover YOUR city!

9 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 30, 2012 at 11:20 am

Glad you had so much fun! I personally don’t get the whole football thing, but I know I way in the minority!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Breaking Up With The Scale

10 Brittany @Berries and Barbells September 30, 2012 at 11:52 am

College Football is THE BEST! We went to the Utah State game last night. SO. MUCH. FUN.
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..Healthy French Toast

11 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats September 30, 2012 at 1:17 pm

Ah, the Noles had me nervous a few times last night! I also have a kids jersey lol
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..The day I successfully poached an egg

12 Amanda September 30, 2012 at 5:52 pm

That’s crazy I’ve never met a guy who’s a HUGE fan of a school’s football team without at least one jersey. That would make quite the perfect Christmas and/or wedding present! (just sayin!) So jealous you got to go to Bucs stadium!! Did you notice any interesting/good food choices in the stadium? I’ve always wanted to go there being a Bucs fan, but living in Illinois makes it hard!

13 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 10:59 am

It was a lot of standard stadium food that I saw, but to be honest I didn’t really have a chance to explore. I did see some Alessi cubans, but that’s about it. :)

14 Krystle September 30, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Looks fun! What was that game the guys were playing, it looked like a beer car on top of a pvc pipe?!

15 Meghann October 1, 2012 at 11:01 am

They called it “Redneck Frisbee” To be honest, I wasn’t really paying attention to anyone one playing, so I’m not sure of the rules. I think the objective was to hit the pole and knock the beer can down.