more ยป" />

The Lone Swimmer

by Meghann on September 28, 2012

I left my house at 6:00am this morning.

At 6:05am my coach sent a group text stating he was feeling under the weather and wouldn’t be at practice.

By 6:13am the rest of my teammates decided to follow coach’s lead on skipping practice.

At 6:25am I pulled into the pool complex and finally read the texts for the first time.

Dratz. I missed an excuse to roll over and sleep for another hour. Oh, well. I had already driven 25 minutes to the pool and I knew I should be swimming anyway. I guess it was just me and the pool today. Well, me and the three or four other random swimmers and two lifeguards who looked like they wanted to be back in bed as much as I did.

Our coach did send out a workout before everyone else bailed, which I modified slightly.

Screen shot 2012-09-28 at 9.40.21 AM.png

No teammates or coach = no motivation!

I was dragging this morning, in a bad way. When it comes to swimming, I definitely push myself harder when other people are around, when they’re gone I tend to flake. I had to constantly talk myself into completing all the sets, even though I badly wanted to hop out of the pool and leave. I pushed through, reminding myself it was only for an hour – I could do anything for an hour, right?

The time ticked by slowly, but eventually I finished all my sets and it was time to go. I didn’t turn back, I never gave up, and I finished my swim – it’s the little victories that keep us going. :)

Breakfast!

In the bowl:

• 1/2 cup Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • 1/2 cup Cinnamon Burst Cheerios
  • Plain Chobani
  • cantaloupe
  • strawberry preserves
  • almond butter

Happy Friday, everyone!

1 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 28, 2012 at 10:10 am

As much as I’d be bummed to get to the pool only to find out that practice was cancelled, it’s also a good reason to just get your workout in and done. Good for you!!

2 Carolyn September 28, 2012 at 10:12 am

Now you get the bragging rights too that you went while everyone else slept. =)

3 Army Amy* September 28, 2012 at 10:13 am

I did some sit-ups and push-ups this morning, and I had to tell myself the same thing, “It won’t last that long. I can do a few of these. Less than 30 minutes is no big deal.” Good for you for getting your swim in!*

4 Kayla @ Keep Moving Forward September 28, 2012 at 10:20 am

Way to get it done! happy Friday!

5 Annette @FitnessPerks September 28, 2012 at 10:25 am

Oh man! I’d be bummed too! But you should be proud of pushing THROUGH & getting ‘er done :)

6 Allison September 28, 2012 at 10:26 am

Good for you! Way to push through.

7 Laura September 28, 2012 at 10:43 am

Good for you! Swimming all alone is tough!

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 28, 2012 at 10:43 am

At least you stayed and got it done!

9 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 28, 2012 at 10:49 am

Way to get it done – I would have been tempted to go find the hot tub or the sauna. :-p

10 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 28, 2012 at 11:07 am

I’ve been there before, made plans with a friend to meet for yoga or some other class, and have had them bail last minute. It’s like suddenly all motivation goes flying out the window. It always feels so good to suck it up and do it anyway! Bet you’re glad you got that swim checked off your list!

11 Candice September 28, 2012 at 11:09 am

Hey, at least you went! Getting in the water is half the battle :)

12 Katie @ running4cupcakes September 28, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I can’t believe everyone bailed on you!!!! Good for you for going anyway.

13 Christina September 28, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Don’t focus on the negative (sleeping in) and focus on the positive (getting a good workout in). Solo workouts make it easier to concentrate on the task at hand, so it all worked out well. ;)

14 Lisa Fine September 28, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Was reading through some of your very old (and first!) posts yesterday, and noticed that you used to dislike yogurt.

When did you start to like yogurt? And did you start by eating flavored ones, and then switched to plain?

15 Meghann September 28, 2012 at 1:28 pm

It was Greek yogurt that pulled me in – I still can’t stand “regular” yogurt, yuck. I started eating flavors (Chobani peach was the first one I liked) and it grew from there. I’m still not a fan of plain on it’s own, but I do enjoy it with cereal, fruit, and jam. :)

16 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Hey at least you did something! After seeing those texts, I probably would have turned my car around, lol.

17 theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine September 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Props to you for getting your workout in sans coach and teammates! There is something about swimming that makes it so hard to self motivate! When I run I can definitely push myself, but when swimming, I feel like just having someone in the lane next to you makes you swim SO much faster.

18 Sarah September 28, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Haha I was the only swimmer along with the tri captain this past week. We could’ve just cancelled practice but we just decided to go ahead and swim anyway. :P Yay swimming!

19 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 28, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Another reason I love CrossFit… I push myself way harder when others are around as well!!

20 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 28, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I started running with a training group just last week — now I can’t imagine how I’m going to do long runs without them when work interferes with attending Sunday morning practice. I definitely know what you mean about feeding off the energy and motivation of others.
And I am DEFINITELY buying some melon this weekend. Biggest craving ever!!

21 Steph @ 321delish September 28, 2012 at 10:32 pm

You go girl! I really should have left my house (I had my suit on and everything!)…I’m sorry!