Three things that have me scratching my head today

by Meghann on September 27, 2012

1. Gangnam Style

How the heck did Gangnam Style get to #2 on iTunes?!

Screen shot 2012-09-27 at 2.17.15 PM.png

Yes, I’ve seen the video

But I still don’t get it. Maybe I’m just not cool enough to understand?

2. Bacon shortage

Real?

Screen shot 2012-09-27 at 2.41.09 PM.png

via TODAY

or not real?

Screen shot 2012-09-27 at 2.41.42 PM.png

via TODAY

I guess I need to take “buy 30 lbs of bacon” off of my grocery list this week. shucks.

3. TV Houses

Why do houses on TV always have two sets of stairs? (Usually one in the living room and one in the kitchen that BOTH lead upstairs)

Full House Stairs.jpg

I’ve never been in a house with two sets of stairs (that I can remember). Is that a northeast/west coast/midwest thing? A TV thing? Or am I crazy?

[side note: check out this website I found of a blogger who recreated the Full House cast and residence in Sims 3. Pretty close, right?]

What are you scratching your head over today?

Lunchtime!

I originally had a wrap in mind (grilled cheese and carrot), but it’s too hot out and a cool snack plate sounded more refreshing. So instead of combining it all, I ate the carrots, cheese, and wrap like finger food with some hummus for dipping.

And cantaloupe on the side.

Plus edamame!

’twas delicious. :)

I updated the wedding page! Head over and help Derek and I pick out some wedding songs.

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 27, 2012 at 4:37 pm

My aunt and uncle have the dual staircases – they live in Seattle! It is SO awesome :)
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..wordless wednesday.

2 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes September 27, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I LOVE FULL HOUSE!! I live in New York, and I’ve never been in a house that has two sets of stairs. Hmmm …
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Baked Apple Chips

3 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife September 27, 2012 at 4:45 pm

My cousin’s house in Crawfordsville, Indiana has two sets of stairs. It’s an old Victorian. I think it’s one of the coolest houses ever. Seriously.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..The Great Outdoors

4 Tory September 27, 2012 at 4:45 pm

My house has two sets of stairs, but it also used to be a double house back in the coal mining days. Yay for Southwest PA =]

5 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution September 27, 2012 at 4:46 pm

The two sets of stairs thing may be an older house thing. All of the old houses I lived in growing up (like, turn of the century houses) had two sets of stairs. When I was a nanny for two years during college, both of the houses I lived in had two sets of stairs and a few of my friends now who live in older houses have two sets!
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..Sip Wine Bar, Huntington, WV

6 Colleen September 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I live on the East coast of Canada and most houses I can think of have two sets of stairs! Often one in the front hall to the upstairs and one in the kitchen to the basement.

7 Meghann September 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

I meant two sets of stairs leading upstairs – basement stairs don’t count. :)

8 Victoria (District Chocoholic) September 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I’m going to take this opportunity to point out that this post both discusses “Gangnam Style” and asks for advice on wedding songs.

Your path forward here is clear.

9 Sana September 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm
10 KAY September 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Two staircases are pretty common in Tennessee where I’ve lived, newer and older houses. Usually one in the entry way/foyer and another off the kitchen/hearth room. Nothing out of the ordinary!

11 Elisabeth September 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I loved Full House as a kid (still do actually)! ;)

12 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm

If you’re not cool for not getting it, then I’m not either – I DON’T GET IT!

And that Full House thing is AWESOME! Did you know it was 25 years ago that it started?!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Check, Check, Check!

13 Lauren September 27, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Nothing happens on this blog anymore!

14 Dori September 27, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I’ve been in houses with two sets of stairs, although it’s rare. I think TV shows do it more often because it’s an easy way to have characters enter and exit scenes.
Dori recently posted..Newport Liberty Half Marathon Recap

15 Laura September 27, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Haha, yes! Gangnam Style is a mystery for me too, althougth it’s provided some pretty good, intoxicated dancing moments with my friends. ;)

Two sets of stairs are pretty common in older, or new larger, homes here in VA. A lot of times the house will have a huge staircase in the front, and then a smaller, more narrow one in the back.
Laura recently posted..No Moderation Here

16 Ash September 27, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I honestly think it is all about the dance moves and less about what he is actually saying

17 natalie @ will jog for food September 27, 2012 at 5:08 pm

The bacon shortage! OH NO! haha. I warned my husband since it was all over the news. He would eat bacon for every meal if he could :)
natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Bun in the Oven

18 Elise September 27, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I agree with other commenters about the old house thing – my best friend’s house had stairs from the main hall and a smaller set from the kitchen (100+ year old farmhouse). But I think it also became a trend, especially in larger new-construction houses in the suburbs, because I definitely remember seeing them from time-to-time, especially in the “fancier” neighborhoods.

I also have to agree with Victoria… problem solved! Not to mention, fantastic choreography options :-)

19 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 27, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Oh Full house… My husband and I were just talking about this today. How every kid growing up wanted to have a full house life… you know where every issue with your parent gets resolved in 30 minutes or less… regardless of how many sets of stairs you had, lol!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Through Her Eyes – Why I am excited about being a Compassion Blogger

20 Annette @FitnessPerks September 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm

My parents have 4 sets of stairs…it is helpful when you have a bunch of rooms! Hah.

I don’t get the gangham thing either…missed the memo on that one :)
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Slow & Fast-Twitch Muscle Fibers

21 Jena September 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm

My house has two sets of stairs – but they are both indoor/outdoor. One set leads to the front door, the other set is in the garage that lead to hall entrance.

I don’t know what Gangham style is..and the speakers on my computer aren’t working right now – so i guess i’ll be in suspense a little while longer.
Jena recently posted..vaguebooking

22 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 27, 2012 at 5:41 pm

When I was growing up I asked my parents if we could move into the Full House house. And both my best friend and I wanted to name our little sisters after Michelle Tanner (She got her wish. I got two brothers.)
The thing that is making me scratch my head today is how the weather was “perfect summer weather” all season, and now it’s been “perfect fall weather” all season … I hope I didn’t just jinx that because I really, really love it. I wish that global warming wasn’t going to eventually kill our planet, but if these are the “for now” effects, I’m a fan. (Hope that doesn’t make me a bad person …)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Thursday is the new Monday …

23 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 27, 2012 at 5:47 pm

omg I do NOT understand that song! And my house has 2 sets of stairs going from the first to the second floor: one in the front hallway, and one in the kitchen! I have other friends with 2 sets of stairs as well in their parents’ houses. Maybe it’s just not a FL thing?
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

24 Danielle September 27, 2012 at 6:12 pm

My old house in Atlanta had two sets of stairs-one leading up from the main foyer and another one off the kitchen-it was awesome when we were crazy kids and could just do loops from the front door through the kitchen up to the second floor and then back down to the foyer again :) It was built in ’86 so it’s not that old.

25 Erin September 27, 2012 at 6:38 pm

The house I lived in during high school and college (in the Midwest) had two sets of stairs that went up. One by the front door and one in the back in the laundry room. I thought it was pretty cool :-)

I liken Gangnam style to the new Macarena. Because you know the Macarena would have started as a Youtube sensation if Youtube had been around back then.
Erin recently posted..Race Volunteering – A Way to Give Back

26 Lisa September 28, 2012 at 8:37 am

I was thinking Macarena the entire time I was watching that!

27 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 27, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I watched that video yesterday and yea – definitely don’t get it either.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the two stairs thing either..I guess it’s not a FL or a Canadian thing?
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Pumpkin Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins.

28 Morgan September 27, 2012 at 6:48 pm

My parents have two sets of stairs in their home. One leads to one side of the house while the other leads more to the other. Really, it makes no difference at all! They live in Seattle and its a newer home, not older.
Morgan recently posted..Horseradish

29 Stacey @starpulp September 27, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Midwest thing (with $) for sure! I had a few friends in jr high & high school w two in their house. If not that, they had jack & Jill bathrooms (or closets!)
Stacey @starpulp recently posted..Zip Lining Fun at the Tallahassee Museum

30 Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 27, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I know of many houses that have two sets of stairs in New England. Average size houses.. nothing huge.
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Wedding: Bridal Party Flowers & Bridal Bouquet

31 Caroline September 27, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Interesting- I’ve never really thought much about two sets of stairs. I think Boy Meets World is the same way!
Caroline recently posted..Thankful Thursday

32 Caroline September 27, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Caroline recently posted..Thankful Thursday

33 Vivian September 27, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Definitely been in houses with multiple staircases. Maybe it’s a northern thing?

34 Julie @ There and Back Again September 27, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I’m from upstate New York and a lot of older houses there have two staircases – at least a handful of my friends lived in 80+ year old houses growing up that were like that. I’ve always LOVED houses with two staircases, and Full House probably has a lot to do with that ;)
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..Sailing Trip 2012 Video

35 Christine @ BookishlyB September 27, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I think you’re missing the point- why the eff is Taylor Swift number one? Ugh.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..A Rant Before Bedtime

36 Cellabella September 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Good Korean friends had to explain to me what the whole Gangham style meant. While I believe it’s become popular in the Western world because it’s so wacky and catchy, the song and video is actually a satire on being obsessed with wealth and materialism. Gangham is a city in South Korea that is similar to our Beverly Hills.

37 Brittany @Berries and Barbells September 27, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I have seen EVERY episode of Full House at least 3 times! I used to be obsessed. As far as the two staircase dilemma, I have never been in a house with 2 either…hmm.
Brittany @Berries and Barbells recently posted..The Man Who Started It All

38 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna September 27, 2012 at 8:40 pm

i am so with you on the gangnam style thing!! i don’t think the song is very good and while the video is pretty funny i’m still wondering how it made it so high on the charts!

39 Mica September 27, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I was in Seoul when “Gangnam Style” came out this past summer. My Korean friends were telling me that it’s surprising that the song is so popular now in the US because it’s already over/old news in Korea. I guess we’re just slow on the uptake.

I’m pretty pumped that a chubby Korean rapper is in the Top 10. Plus, he went to Berklee College of Music, so I think he’s legit. Win!
Mica recently posted..Post-engagement cards are a thing?

40 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 27, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I’m totally with you on Gangnam Style. I don’t get it at all. I think dual staircases was a big deal in older houses. Not sure why they always recreate them on TV.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Where Nature May Heal and Cheer…

41 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats September 27, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I am convinced the bacon shortage is just a genius PR stunt to up bacon sales. Also, I am also confused about the appeal of Gangnam style. But still get the ‘heyyyy sexy lady’ stuck in my head at least once daily.
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..The day I learned about tummy buttons

42 Brittany September 27, 2012 at 9:34 pm

One of my friends in high school had a house with two sets of stairs. I thought it was the coolest thing and have wanted a house with two sets since!
Brittany recently posted..5 Things I Learned at FitBloggin’

43 Rachel September 27, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Lots of midwest houses have dual staircases!

44 Allison @ thesundayflog September 27, 2012 at 9:38 pm

My parents have 2 staircases, and a lot of our friends houses do too! Maybe a NE thing?

45 Lindsay September 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I live in a house with two stair cases, one from the front door and one from the kitchen. I love my house and I don’t think I would ever move if it weren’t for the fact that my parents are wanting to have an empty nest SOON! :)

46 Ashley @ This Is The Place September 27, 2012 at 10:36 pm

My parents used to live in a house in Massachusetts with two stair cases – one off the family room, and one on the other side of the house from the mud room.

Bacon shortage??? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Ashley @ This Is The Place recently posted..The Weekend in Pictures

47 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 27, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I lived in a house with two sets of stairs during my junior year of college. We had the main staircase that was right off the front door, and then a back staircase that was right off the, um, back door. Haha. The back staircase led to the kitchen. The house I lived in was well over 100 years old–I actually lived on the third floor in former servant’s quarters. The back staircase ultimately led up to my floor, and given its location, it was pretty clear that it was built to be used by servants, not the owners of the home. Being the huge history nerd that I am, this was basically the coolest thing of my life haha.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

48 Laura September 27, 2012 at 11:24 pm

LOVE full house!! I live in Memphis and there are plenty of houses that have two sets of stairs.

I don’t get the hype over gangam either- just plain weird?!?

49 Roughly A Runner September 27, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I am with you on the Gangham thing…except that it has a certain catchyness to it if you accidentally hear it more than once in a short span, a la “Friday” by Rebecca Black. And by ‘accidentally’, I mean me pressing play on youtube 5 times in a row just to see him dance.

50 Sarah @ Cake for Breakfast September 28, 2012 at 12:55 am

My last house in St. Louis, MO had two staircases. It’s pretty common in row houses. We had a grand staircase off the living room a narrower one off the kitchen. We never used the front one. The back stair case went from the kitchen/family room to right in front of our bedroom.

Totally do not get Gangnam Style. Where did it come from? All of a sudden it’s everywhere and I just do not understand.
Sarah @ Cake for Breakfast recently posted..I don’t need a person, I’ve got people

51 Kristen September 28, 2012 at 1:29 am

Bacon shortage?!?! don’t scare me like that! ;-)
Kristen recently posted..SF Exploring: Hayes Valley

52 Sam September 28, 2012 at 7:01 am

I’m into Kpop (am a BigBang girl) and avidly watch Korean and Japanese shows (K/J-dramas in short). Since I’ve started watching these shows I barely watch American ones since my interest in them has waned. I believe the appeal of the music for non-Koreans/Asians isn’t about the lyrics…it’s about the music which simply put is universally appealing. BigBang, a popular Korean boy band, sold out tickets within hours for their two shows in the US. I remember watching Gangnam Style shortly after it was released…the brilliance stems from the foolish dance and the lyrics (viz a satire).

And you will not believe how popular the K/J-dramas are in North America/Europe and amongst the non-Asian community. They can be found on Hulu and Netflix…that’s how mainstream they are. A popular blog called “Dramabeans” run by two Korean-American girls who review these shows, announce castings, what have you.

53 Em September 28, 2012 at 7:18 am

A friend of mine has two stair cases – one in the front of the house and one from the kitchen. The one from the kitchen is a butler’s staircase and is narrower than the main staircase.

54 Courtney September 28, 2012 at 8:06 am

I love Gangnam Style! I don’t understand it in the slightest, but I’ve been waiting for years for spastic attempts at dancing to be considered in!

55 Lindsay September 28, 2012 at 8:51 am

The Gangnam style video is really what makes the phenomenon. The song is catchy after you have watched the video a few times. Also, the video is hilarious–I don’t think you have to be “cool” to understand it. It’s about letting go and having fun dancing in the process.

56 Anna September 28, 2012 at 9:19 am

As a pretty intense nerd (read: watching Korean Starcraft II matches over the past several months), I was listening to Gangnam Style a few months earlier than most of America. I’ll admit, I was pretty surprised to start hearing it on the radio and see my old sorority sisters posting about it on Facebook.

What’s the deal? I have no freakin idea. I mean, it’s ridiculous and such, and the dance is fun, but seriously? I’m used to the random things I discover through Starcraft never to make it out of the nerdy arena into the normal world. Am baffled >.<

57 amyt September 28, 2012 at 12:40 pm

ahhh my daughter says that at school (high school) they bust out ‘flash mob’ all the time doing “Gangnam Style”….and randomly do it going do the halls – someone will start singing it. What the call the ‘common area’ a huge area where they all gather before school…lunch – etc…they do it – the whole dance. I have to hear this song all the time – not sure if I like it or not?? I’m sure this will pass, and something else will take it’s place.

58 Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel September 28, 2012 at 1:10 pm

A couple of the houses I grew up in in the Northeast, as well as many of my friends’ houses had 2 sets of stairs! But I lived in Florida for a while too, and rarely did I come across a 2-story house…. so if ONE set is rare, two must be REALLY rare! ;)
Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel recently posted..Mediterranean Chickpea Chili

59 Victoria September 28, 2012 at 1:33 pm

My parents have a dual staircase, they live in Metro DC area. Not sure if its a regional thing, but theirs is in the front and one going down to the kitchen in the back. I guess I am more like Full House than I thought :)

60 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 28, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Love love those snack plates. But does it ever bother you later on that you didn’t have a “real meal?” I used to be like that, but now I can have nibbles and “snacks” for meals and it totally satisfies me.
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Cheat Days + Weekday vs. Weekend Eating

61 Cassie September 28, 2012 at 2:16 pm

LOVE Gangnam Style. It’s retarded and funny and catchy at the same time.

My Canadian friends are going to go extinct along with the bacon. ;-)

TV houses also ALWAYS have the sofa in the middle of the living room!

62 Jill September 28, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I live in an older home in the Midwest and it has two staircases. The one in the front is much more formal with beautiful woodwork and the one that goes up from the kitchen is plain and leads to what would have been a servants quarters. I love it :)

63 Sonia the Mexigarian September 28, 2012 at 4:25 pm

defintely an older house victorian thing. One main staircase for the family and the other back one for the servants. but you’re right. a lot of the old TV shows have two staircases no matter where they were located! Step by Step, Family Matters, Full House. . . . interesting.

my alma mater high school was in a converted mansion with staircases galor. Loved that old building, except when i I had to trod to the third floor with a fullly loaded backpack.
Sonia the Mexigarian recently posted..Hungry like Thor. . . Whiny like Loki. . .

64 Kristin September 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I love houses with two staircases so much it was a pretty high request when my husband and I bought our house! They are usually servants staircases (in older homes). I love having one, and agree they are ALWAYS in houses on tv. I spose it was convenient for shooting and such, another entrance for actors to come into the scene. Either way, love it.

65 Alissa September 28, 2012 at 10:03 pm

My house growing up in PA had 2 sets of stairs, one to the kitchen and one to the foyer. The kitchen stairs lead up to the room where the maid used to sleep. It’s an older house from the 1800s.
Alissa recently posted..Try This…

66 Stacy September 29, 2012 at 2:24 am

The stairs in Full House don’t lead to the same places…

The kitchen stairs lead to the attic, where uncle Jesse and Aunt Becky live with the boys.

The living room stairs lead to the girl’s rooms.
Stacy recently posted..Rainy Day