more ยป" />

Wedding: Wedding Jewelry

by Meghann on September 26, 2012

Can I just say how much I LOVE brides that can pull of statement jewelry on their big day?

Source: etsy.com via Tanja on Pinterest.

This

This

And this

I love it so much that I actually started considering it for my own wedding day. I even had one of those “bridezilla moments” where I got in this mindset that I had to find the perfect statement necklace. When I couldn’t find anything I liked in my price range, I started to look for something a little higher, then a little higher, then a little higher, and – after that – what’s a little bit more? That’s when I came-to and realized I was looking at necklaces that were three times more than what I originally started at. Whoa. Slow down, Meghann.

I stepped away from the computer and gave myself a minute to really think about it. I’m not a person who wears a lot of jewelry. All the stuff I do own is costume type stuff that I’ve collected over the years from Target, Forever 21, and Charming Charlie. I don’t own a lot of nice jewelry because I don’t ever wear it. When it comes down to it, I’m not really a jewelry person.

So I gave up on the statement necklace idea. I liked the look of the statement necklaces on those brides, but would I like it on me? I wasn’t convinced.

Then I was cleaning my closet out over the weekend and I remembered this necklace that my parents gave me in high school.

P9260003.JPG

It’s a snowflake.

P9260020.JPG

And I have matching earrings.

P9260014.JPG

Perfect.

P9260025.JPG

Without even trying, my wedding jewelry found me. Love it when that happens. ๐Ÿ™‚

What jewelry did you wear on your wedding day? Did you go the statement route, sentimental, simple, or nothing at all?

1 Cris of Kiss My Tulle September 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm

My friend made my necklace for me (a blue statement one) for my wedding but I found the earrings and bracelet in my jewelry box. Free? Is awesome!
Cris of Kiss My Tulle recently posted..WedOverHeels and a Giveaway!

2 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 26, 2012 at 12:29 pm

oh perfect!!! it fits so well into your theme!!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..WIAW #10 – Pumpkin Paleo Pancakes

3 Christine September 26, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I wore a necklace almost identical to the first one in this post. It was my grandma’s, and she passed away just a few months before my wedding so it had a lot of sentimental value and I was glad that I could include a part of her in the big day.

4 Hillary September 26, 2012 at 12:36 pm

My grandmother has a lot of beautiful, classic, one-of-a-kind pieces. She’s already sat me down and gone through them with me; I won’t be getting married for at least another year and a half, but I already know that I’ll be wearing one of those!
Hillary recently posted..Yes!

5 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life September 26, 2012 at 12:36 pm

After trying so hard to find the perfect earrings and bracelet (I decided to go sans necklace) for my wedding, I finally found the look for me at the same place I purchased my wedding dress. I had a fall theme going and the earrings and bracelet had a tiny leaf pattern that you could see when you looked closely. I also found a skinny headband that matched the set. Well, you will never believe this, but I forgot to put on any jewelry before my wedding. No earrings, no bracelet, nothing. I didn’t even wear my headband because a piece cracked when it was being put on my head! Moral of the story, accessories are fun but do not make or break the big day! lol ๐Ÿ™‚

6 Dori September 26, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I’m all about simple, elegant, understated jewelry. I think your snowflake necklace and earrings will be nice! I’m going to wear my pearl earrings, a bracelet and of course my ring at my wedding.
Dori recently posted..Newport Liberty Half Marathon Recap

7 Denise September 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I love that necklace! It is perfectly Meghann!!
Denise recently posted..Living My Worst Nightmare

8 Army Amy* September 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm

At my brother’s wedding this past weekend, his wifey rocked statement jewelry. She had chunky bracelets and a big turquoise ring on. She also had on coral nail polish which looked so good with her skin tone. She looked gorgeous! But it is so a look I could never pull off. Pretty sure my plain pearl necklace was from Kohl’s. it got the job done on my wedding day!*

9 Chelsea September 26, 2012 at 12:48 pm

If you are still looking to rock a statement necklace, a good option is this Etsy shop:
I’m kicking myself for not going this route, personally. I’ve had them bookmarked forever and hadn’t thought of it for a wedding option. And then I went to a wedding a few weeks ago where the bride had this huge, chunky yellow topaz necklace on and it was AWESOME.

I am instead using my necklace as my “something borrowed” and am borrowing my mother’s pearl necklace strand. I have somewhat more “interesting” earrings, though, as my “something new”– dangly pearl cluster earrings with white and gray pearls (my colors are red and gray).

10 Rustic Gem Jewelry September 26, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Thanks so much for the shout-out, Chelsea! It’s great when our fans out there spread the word, thank you! Happy Wedding Planning and congratulations ๐Ÿ™‚

Cheers,
Tracy of Rustic Gem

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 26, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I realize I only reference my sister-in-law on here, haha but that’s the only comparison I have. She wore a ribbon headband that had crystals on it and then wore some very simple jewelry that was my great aunt’s as her “something borrowed”. Simple and classic, very much her style since she doesn’t wear much jewelry either.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAWโ€“Nutrition Plan

12 kirsten September 26, 2012 at 12:54 pm

The 2nd picture you have in this post is my exact wedding dress! ๐Ÿ™‚

13 Carolyn September 26, 2012 at 1:08 pm

How perfect! Especially considering how the necklace/wedding band found you too.
Carolyn recently posted..Back in service!

14 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 26, 2012 at 1:31 pm

It fits your theme(s) perfectly!!! Something meaningful to you + winter wonder!
So exciting!

About statement jewelery — I think that it would be REALLY easy to go overboard. I think that either a detailed dress OR statement necklace OR statement earrings OR extravagant bouquet would be great. But for my taste, it would need to only be ONE of the above — otherwise it gets a little flashy/over-the-top/you don’t know where to look/slightly tacky.
Personally, I’m a fan of the understated. I think your jewelery is perfect. ๐Ÿ™‚
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..WIAW โ€” What I DIDNโ€™T Eat Wednesday โ€ฆ

15 Dani September 26, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I think of all the times to splurge in life, your wedding is absolutely one of them. I really like statement jewelry as well, and I will be going that route for my big day. I also love the idea of having those pieces forever, looking at them and remembering that special day. Wearing the earrings, necklace or whatever on anniversaries is a nice gesture as well. I hope one day to be able to pass those jewels (and memories) on to a daughter as my mom and grandmother have done with me.

16 Jameil September 26, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I am a statement girl! I like statement jewelry on random days so definitely on the wedding day! I had statement earrings. Big chunky turquoise, blue & green antiques via etsy. If they weren’t so heavy and obviously for night, I’d wear them every day! ๐Ÿ™‚

17 Becky September 26, 2012 at 1:40 pm

While I love those statement necklaces, I love the jewelry that found you more! I went simple and sentimental on my wedding day- the earrings and necklace were my “something borrowed” from my mom. I love your wedding updates! I’ve only been married 10 months but the planning process is very fresh in my mind.

18 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife September 26, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I went sentimental. I wore the pearls that my grandmother had given me. But then I had some dangly, sparkly, pearl earrings made. They looked a lot like Kate Middleton’s earrings, although mine were already being made when her wedding took place. I think she copied me.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..The Great Outdoors

19 Regan September 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm

The necklace your parents gave you is perfect!
When my husband and I got engaged, his mother gave me a lovely pearl necklace/bracelet/earring set. I wore this for our wedding. Simple and elegant.

20 Claire September 26, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I went simple and sentimental, wearing pearls that belonged to my Mom’s best friend’s (who is like a 2nd mother to me) Mother. That’s a mouthful. I love that the jewelry, whatever a bride chooses, has some story to it, though!
Claire recently posted..Thoughtful Tuesday…. On Waiting

21 Lindsey September 26, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I had pearl drop earrings I bought and then wore the pearl necklace my Grandpa gave my Grandma on their wedding day ๐Ÿ™‚
Lindsey recently posted..Finally Hitting Publish

22 Morgan September 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Love your jewels! I’m the same way about jewelry….I don’t wear much of it ever but I do enjoy owning it ;o) that being said I’m also looking for wedding jewelry for my big day (5wks) and I have no ideas as to what I want. Omg…now I’m freaking out a little.

23 Kathy September 26, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Your jewels are perfect for your day and your theme…beautiful!

24 jena September 26, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Not a fan of the “statement” jewelry – way to much going on with those necklaces. I wore a starfish necklace that I found @ John’s Pass in Madeira Beach. It fit perfectly with my beach themed wedding.
jena recently posted..Beauty is Strength Reflection

25 Margo September 26, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I love the look of statement jewelry, but I think it works if you have a very simple dress. The snowflake necklace seems totally perfect for your big day! What luck! My wedding dress wouldn’t have worked with statement pieces, so I got some sparkly earrings. My husband’s wedding gift to me was a very simple necklace that worked perfectly with my dress and earrings, so that’s what I wore for my big day.

26 [email protected] September 26, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I love the necklace in the first picture!!
Yours will be perfect for you ๐Ÿ™‚ I went simple on our wedding day and wore pearls.
[email protected] recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday {3}

27 Melissa September 26, 2012 at 3:41 pm

My mom knew someone from work who makes custom beaded jewelry as a side business, so we got her to make my wedding jewelry as well as jewelry for my bridesmaids. It was awesome because I got to pick it out myself.
Melissa recently posted..God is Good

28 Cher @ Weddicted September 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm

From the moment I was engaged and thinking of what I’d wear on my wedding day I knew I would not wear ANY jewelry. Like you, I’m not a jewelry person. I own one necklace from my husband and I wear that occasionally, maybe a few times a month. Other than that, I wear my wedding rings and that’s it. Everyone thought I “had” to wear jewelry because “it’s your wedding and you only get one time.” What? I did end up wearing tiny little pearls that hung on a short (maybe 1″) delicate gold strand. I’m very simple and I’m attracted to simple things. For example, none of that statement jewelry appealed to me at all. I say, do what makes you feel comfortable!! And the snowflakes fit great with your theme, obviously! ๐Ÿ™‚
Cher @ Weddicted recently posted..For the Bride

29 Anna September 26, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I also loved the statement necklaces but I don’t think I could have pulled it off. My style is very simple so it wouldn’t have looked right. One of my aunts made my necklace, earrings and bracelets. All very nice, clean jewelry and I loved it. They were my something new.

30 BroccoliHut September 26, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I’ve been thinking about what I’ll accessorize with lately too, and I think I’ll probably just stick with pearls. The theme of my wedding is kind of “lavender and pearls” anyway (with lots of pearl accents–on the cake, in my bouquet, etc.), so I think it makes sense. I’m thinking of wearing the pearl necklace my sister gave me when I was a bridesmaid in her wedding.
I love your snowflake jewelry–it’s PERFECT!

31 Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 26, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I wore a simple bracelet and simple earrings. No necklace. I like the bling on my dress… and didn’t feel like I needed a necklace!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Wedding: Reception Details

32 Rachel Wilkerson September 26, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I love statement necklaces and bracelets/watches, especially for holiday parties; one way I keep it less expensive is to shop on ebay and Etsy!

For my wedding, I’ll probably skip a necklace (it won’t work with the neckline I’m doing) and just do simple earrings but maybe a big bracelet. I really don’t know, there are so many options!
Rachel Wilkerson recently posted..{living in sin} An unprecedented favor

33 Christen September 26, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I love statement jewelry in photos, but in reality I found it very hard to pull off! I think it only really works when the dress is very simple – no beading/embellishment. I found myself looking a necklace with a triple digit price tag before my wedding, and then I realized that was silly. I was also a little scared that I would regret it when I looked back at the photos in 20 years. I went with a very simple necklace and stud earrings, and I’m still happy with that decision. I also put on my my MOH’s bracelet at the last minute (literally borrowed!) and I added a brooch on the belt detail of my dress.
Christen recently posted..What have I been doing?

34 Stacey D September 27, 2012 at 2:00 am

My Mom bought me a dainty little necklace with a small pearl in the middle for my wedding. My dress had enough going on up top to where I didn’t really need a statement necklace. I love that necklace to this day! Our house got broken into a couple of years ago (really long story), and the necklace just so happened to fall on the floor out of the jewelry box that they stole. What a blessing! I am so glad I still have it to wear on special occasions ๐Ÿ™‚
Stacey D recently posted..Whatโ€™s For Dinner Wednesday

35 Debbie September 27, 2012 at 6:22 am

I kept my wedding jewelry simple with some earrings and a bracelet. since I was married on the beach my bracelet had starfish to go along with my theme. I love the snowflake necklace and I think it will make a great statement.

36 Courtney September 27, 2012 at 7:49 am

I agree. I LOVE the necklace in the first photo, but whenever I put something like that on, it is just SO not me. I love that snowflake set too! It is perfect! A little bit of unique, but simple and it will be stunning!

37 Lauren @ Every Last Detail September 27, 2012 at 9:45 am

I’m very much a fan of the statement necklaces for brides, but only when they’re *right* for the dress. And when it’s the norm for the bride to wear a necklace like that. Me? I wore a strand of pearls that my husband gave me as our wedding gift. It was the perfect length, classic, and didn’t outshine my dress. ๐Ÿ™‚ But how PERFECT are those snowflakes for you?! It’ll look great!
Lauren @ Every Last Detail recently posted..Wedding Planning Advice: Breathe & Hire Professionals!

38 Marissa September 27, 2012 at 10:01 am

I have the same exact necklace! My boyfriend bought it for me for valentines day and I love it. I’m a part time ski instructor so it was the perfect gift. I wear it every day because it is so versatile. I think it will look wonderful with your wedding dress!

39 [email protected] September 27, 2012 at 11:55 am

oh, I love your necklace and earrings! How perfect are they?! And they will mean so much more than a statement necklace.
[email protected] recently posted..Thursday Things

40 Katie @ A Full Plate September 27, 2012 at 3:36 pm

You’ve been so lucky to just come across wedding items like this! First the necklace you turned into your wedding band, now this ๐Ÿ™‚ And I guess it can count as your something old?