Writer’s Block

by Meghann on September 25, 2012

The truth: I’ve been staring at this screen for 10 minutes trying to figure out what to write.

Lately I’ve been dealing with a nasty case of writer’s block that I’ve been trying to claw myself out of. (My mind is blank – I’ve got nothin’) I’ve also been dealing with a super-slow computer that is slowly causing me to pull all my hair out. Slow computers are NOT good for one’s sanity, especially when a majority of your life revolves around one. You end up hating the technology and start avoiding it at all cost. It’s a sad day when it’s faster to google something via your phone than on the laptop.

Now that Healthy Living Summit is over, I’ve been trying to walk away from the computer a little more (hence yesterdays’ mini adventure) to try and clear my mind a bit, but I still find myself staring at the computer screen forcing something out that I’m not totally in love with (like the 5 original openings to this post I’ve deleted).

I’m not writing this to complain or to look for a solution, I’m just writing this to put it out there.

<clever segue to food>

I know – my apologies for the so-so photos. For some reason this lunch did not want to photograph nicely.

What is it? A wrap stuffed with eggplant, tempeh bacon, kale, and feta that I sauteed with a little olive oil.

This was pretty much the sandwich I made on Sunday in wrap form. Best served hot. πŸ™‚

With the last of the tortilla chips from Saturday.

That’s all I’ve got.

So what’s been on your mind lately?

1 Kaitlin September 25, 2012 at 3:42 pm

if you’re computer’s running slow, try upgrading your RAM. basically, when you’re asking your computer to do lots of things (ecto, photoshop, chrome, itunes, whatever), it’s short term memory fills up. I recently got mine upgraded pretty cheaply and it’s made a HUGE difference in my quality of life!

2 Meghann September 25, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I bought the RAM, I’m just too nervous to install it myself (and haven’t found anyone else to do it). Gulp. I know – I need to bite the bullet and do it. Do you have a MacBook Pro? I was able to do it fairly easily for the MacBook, but the pro requires removing the entire back panel and that’s what makes me the most nervous.

3 Kaitlin September 26, 2012 at 12:16 am

hey meghann, I do have a MBP. Honestly my computer engineering student boyfriend did it for me, but he SWEARS anyone can do it. There are tutorials online! Also he said that sometimes computer guys at computer stores will do it for you for a small fee, especially if you bring the parts. Might be worth looking in to πŸ™‚

4 Kaitlyn - @runkaitrun September 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm

what’s your go-to for tortillas/wraps?

5 Meghann September 25, 2012 at 5:22 pm

La Tortilla Factory. It’s random you asked because one of my failed intros was writing about how my Publix randomly stopped carrying them, which is why they haven’t been on the blog recently. I had to drive to another Publix to fine them. πŸ™‚

6 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 25, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Ohh I think your wrap looks delicious! Ok, and this is a little random, but I had the Sex and the City movie on while I was getting ready for work this am and Big calls Carrie to tell her that he has writer’s block for their wedding vows. And she says, “Just start writing.” And you did! Sometimes, girl, that’s all you can do. Everyone loves honesty. It’s much better than forcing a topic. You’ll get back into the groove in no time!
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Weekend Eats & Treats

7 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 25, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Meghann,

Thanks for writing this post. I’m a really new blogger, and, so far, it seems like the posts have flowed pretty naturally. Until today, that is. I, too, have been staring at the computer wondering what I have to contribute today. You have been one of my favorite bloggers for quite awhile and definitely one of the reasons I was inspired to write my own. It’s very reassuring that sometimes you face these same struggles. No worries-I’m sure the writer’s block will be gone before you know it. Thanks again!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Return To Our Regularly Scheduled Programming..

8 Priscilla P September 25, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Ooh, I love eggplant! I’ll have to try out that combo someday.
Priscilla P recently posted..wantin’ wishin’

9 Simone September 25, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I’m struggling lately as well, the last few weeks I have been really struggling to get my work done. I think it might be because work is a little slow right now but whatever it is it needs to change soon, I hate feeling unproductive!
Simone recently posted..Farmers market love

10 HS September 25, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Meghann–I am a regular reader, so obviously I enjoy reading about your daily eating/exercising/life, but I cannot tell you HOW much better it is to read bloggers when they only write when they have something to say. I’d encourage you to drop down to 2x or 1x a day posting if all you really have to share is your meals. I don’t mean to say your posts are boring–trust me, I know there are some days that my life is so uninteresting that it would barely fill one post–but it is better to produce quality content over lots of content!

11 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I honestly don’t know how you post 3 times a day. I had writers block for a bit the past few weeks and I only post about 6 times a week, and two of those are set since they’re WIAW and my thursday thoughts! Fitbloggin was a great inspiration for my post today, I didn’t go but when I heard about the session regarding how much is too much to reveal on your blog, I wanted to comment with my opinion!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..How Much is Too Much?

12 Annette @FitnessPerks September 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Mmm wraps!! I love those things. Good luck with the blockage πŸ˜‰
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..FitMixer Protein Banana Bread (+ Giveaway Winner)

13 Beth @ 990 Square September 25, 2012 at 4:47 pm

A bad case of IT Band Syndrome has me contemplating a DNS for my first marathon. One of the hardest things I’ve dealt with in a long time.
Beth @ 990 Square recently posted..Kori’s Wedding Day!

14 Chelsea @ahintofhealthy September 25, 2012 at 4:47 pm

YUM!! That wrap looks so great πŸ™‚
Chelsea @ahintofhealthy recently posted..Some Ab Work and Pumpkin Overnight Oats!

15 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 25, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I’ve always found that writing about writer’s block helps me clear my mind, get over the hump, and start fresh. Fingers crossed that it works that way for you!!
For the record, I always love reading your posts. I never would have been able to tell you’ve been “struggling” for topics. πŸ™‚
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Green Eyes or Brown?

16 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 25, 2012 at 4:58 pm

You know, everyone who has a job needs a break from it sometimes. Be it an office worker, stay at home mother or blog writer. Maybe you should line up a couple guest bloggers or just cut back to two posts per day, just until you feel the writing start to flow again. I mean, come on, we ALL need vacation from our daily work.

By the way, your so-so photos look like my really good photos, lol!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Ready for Some Girl Talk

17 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 25, 2012 at 5:17 pm

That wrap looks delicious!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Tuesday Ten

18 [email protected] September 25, 2012 at 5:29 pm

The wrap looks good even though it contains my arch nemesis- Kale! πŸ™‚
[email protected] recently posted..My Evening With Madonna

19 Jessi September 25, 2012 at 7:34 pm

You know what I think would bring new life to this blog? (not saying that it’s bad b/c I enjoy your posts!) — take some photography classes and learn how to turn these blog snapshots into photographs!

So many bloggers out there think of the photos as almost an afterthought when really, they’re very important. It’s clear you’re interested in photography (you have a DSLR and just got that high end point ‘n shoot) — why not take this a step further? If you can’t find any classes in your area, maybe springing for a food photography book? From Plate to Pixel is an excellent book!

Learning more about photography would really take this blog to the next level.

20 Steph September 25, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I have a case of WB every now and then, but I certainly don’t post as much as you do. I’m a once a day kind of gal, at most. I can only imagine how difficult it is to come up with 3x’s the content! I do love your stories though! (especially your wedding side, as I’m all about the mushy love stuff right now lol)

πŸ™‚
Steph recently posted..Healthy eating on a budget

21 Rebecca September 25, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Writer’s block happens!

I can’t even really blog about my life most of the time – too boring! Or too much I am not allowed to write about (meaning work)…..

How you do it numerous times a day is beyond me πŸ™‚
Rebecca recently posted..Race Recovery with an Infant

22 Emily N September 26, 2012 at 9:57 am

I think that it is 100% ok that sometimes you don’t have anything to say. It is important for you to get away from your computer sometimes, like you said, and I think you should feel free to do it! πŸ™‚
Emily N recently posted..7 Miles x 2

23 Melissa September 26, 2012 at 3:30 pm

On my mind? Health insurance issues first off, but those are now being taken care of in my favor (thank GOD). The other thing on my mind is how to grow my blog. I realize that you have to spend money to make money, but how much do you have to spend?

I discovered healthy living blogs last summer, and yours was one of the first that I started reading. I absolutely love it, and am trying to learn how it all works as I go. It’s challenging and time-consuming, especially with a full-time job, but it’s awesome!
Melissa recently posted..God is Good

24 Christine @ BookishlyB September 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I think writing about having writer’s block is a little bit of a cop out… Do you have to post 3 times a day because of a contract or something? Perhaps scale back for awhile until you feel the urge…
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..A Rant Before Bedtime