more ยป" />

Finding Strength

by Meghann on September 25, 2012

Good Morning!

I was bad and turned my alarm off when it went off at 5:30 this morning. Tuesday mornings are usually early swim mornings, but after not crawling into bed until after midnight, I wasn’t feeling the early wake-up call. I re-set my alarm and rolled over for another hour of glorious sleep.

I did miss swimming, but was still able to get some quality time in at the gym. I completed Women’s Health Wedding Workout A and did 20 minutes of fast walking on the treadmill at a high incline.

Breakfast was…. umm… tasty, but not very pretty.

P9250003.JPG

Eh. what can you do?

I made a pumpkin/ricotta mix with canned pumpkin, ricotta, cinnamon, peanut butter, and a pinch of sugar then combined it with Quaker Oatmeal Squares, Erewhon Buckwheat Cereal, and grapes.

P9250004.JPG

Like I said, tasty but not pretty. I really did enjoy the pumpkin/ricotta combo and plan to try on it again in a cannoli or some other dessert-y item. ;)

Support Whitney Kropp

While I was watching the Today Show on the treadmill, a story came on featuring a girl from Michigan who was voted to homecoming court as a prank by her fellow classmates. She had previously been bullied at school and decided this was the last straw. Instead of letting the bullies win by curling up in a ball in the corner, she decided to embrace the nomination and do something about it. Thanks to the power of social media she was able to get her story out there and now has over 40,000 supporters on Facebook who are rallying behind her.

Screen shot 2012-09-25 at 10.41.55 AM.png

She also plans to attend the dance with her head held high. A few local businesses are donating hair services, a new dress, and shoes for the occasion. Honestly, I hope she wins and walks away with the biggest smile on her face. She should be proud for putting herself out there and showing those bullies they don’t have control of her. I found her story inspiring. It gives hope to every kid out there to find their own strength in rallying against bullying – it DOES get better.

What has inspired you recently?

1 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 25, 2012 at 11:07 am

What a story! I hate it that kids feel the need to be mean to each other. I’m glad she is getting support!

2 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 25, 2012 at 11:10 am

That’s amazing that she’s standing up for herself! High school seems to be especially awful when it comes to bullying, I’m glad she’s turning this into a positive!

3 Maureen @ Organically Mo September 25, 2012 at 11:12 am

I am so proud of WHitney for standing up for herself and for all the support she is getting. High school can be such a hard time, especially for girls.

4 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 25, 2012 at 11:13 am

That is such an inspiring story! It’s awful how people feel the need to be so mean to one another…here’s hoping she wins!

5 Steph September 25, 2012 at 11:22 am

Wow! What a story. I definitely hope she wins! Unfortunately, bullying doesn’t stop in high school. I’ve got bullies here at work who try to intimidate others into doing things their way. I even have bullies in my life who try to make me feel embarrassed or out of place because I’m a plus-sized runner. It almost seems like unless these bullies are taught to think differently, then they carry these behaviors with them throughout their lives. As for my own inspiration? My students. I teach at-risk, academically challenged, low SES children who fight the odds everyday to learn. They’re amazing and my heroes!

6 Katie D. September 25, 2012 at 11:30 am

Cadillac, MI (the schoool playing OHH) is where I work! This is obviously BIG news in our area, as West Branch isn’t that far either. I really couldn’t believe it, it sounds like a bad dream came to life!

7 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 25, 2012 at 11:36 am

wow what a great story! Its nice to see someone come out on top of bullying instead of going a different route! She deserves all of the free things and the crown! Good for her. thanks for sharing her story!

8 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 25, 2012 at 11:49 am

So help me if my daughter or son ever decide to bully someone like that……..

At first that story made me angry, reading about a girl who was being bullied but you know, it is actually quite inspirational! Good for her for sticking up for herself and bringing attention to the not so nice kids along the way. I hope they feel pretty crummy about themselves when they see she is making a difference and they are just making trouble!!

9 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 25, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Man, A+ to her. I just don’t understand why people are so downright mean to each other. We had a couple people in my high school that were simply awful to other people, and where has it got them in life? Nowhere. I wish high school could be more like the real world, where popularity is a thing…kind of…but not at all to the extent that it is in high school. I was actually just talking about this with my mom on Sunday. All the A-list popular guys from my class? Not a one of them finished college last May, when they all would’ve graduated if they had gotten their lives together. They haven’t made new friends, they haven’t gotten out of our hometown, they’re not employed. I’m sure this isn’t the fate of every single high school homecoming king, and knowing that these people will legitimately peak at 18 isn’t much consolation when you’re 14 (though it’s awesome consolation when you’re 22, a college grad, gainfully employed, and no longer living with your parents! Haha), but I wish high school didn’t have to be so crappy for so many people :(

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 25, 2012 at 1:25 pm

That is so awesome! Good for her! Kids just don’t realize how much they hurt each other.

11 Lindsay @ Running the Windy City September 25, 2012 at 1:34 pm

While that situation is absolutely terrible, I’m proud of the girl for keeping her head high and doing something about it. The same thing happened in my school and I don’t think it was ever really resolved, the teachers knew it was a prank and passed homecoming queen on to the girl with the next highest votes. It’s a horrible situation but I’m glad she’s making the best out of it and raising awareness about bullying at the same time.

12 Annette @FitnessPerks September 25, 2012 at 1:48 pm

WOW. That is quite the story–and gave me chills. I hope she DOES hold her head high. So proud of her for fighting back!

I love a good sleep in once in awhile ;)

13 Laura September 25, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Such a great inspirational story. Thanks for sharing. I work in a high school. Bullying, especially via social media is so bad right now. It’s a major issue that needs to be addressed. Two years ago one of our students was also nominated as a joke. Can’t believe kids do that stuff. It’s so cruel. Good for her for standing up to them!

14 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 25, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Wow! That’s such an awesome story – I’ll have to follow to see how it turns out. I too hope she wins and I hope she remembers that even though it’s hard and somedays suck, it really DOES get better.

15 Tory September 25, 2012 at 2:38 pm

For every school like Whitney’s that allow said ‘joke votes’ to get through, there is a school that tosses ballots with ‘joke votes’.

But ‘that can really hurt when all the votes were cast in earnest but administrators believe it was a joke. I was told by the secretary this past week that I had enough votes to be second place on the court, yet the principal tossed all my votes. I’m drum major of the marching band, run cross country, sing in the musicals, and am captain of the academics team. Yet our principal believed my classmates saw me as a joke instead of a court-worthy person.

So go Whitney! Thank you for showing what girls like us can do and change!

16 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire September 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Wow, what an amazing little girl. It breaks my heart to see how bad bullying has become in the last few years. She is an inspiration, and I hope her story helps other victims of bullying as well. If only those girls could know how bad they will feel about it 10 years later. Thanks for sharing this, it’s such a great story!

17 Lauren September 25, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I was thinking about pumpkin canoli the other night but made pie instead. Nerd to try that soon. And that’s a great story, I hope everyone gains insight from that situation.

18 Lindsey @ Goldilocks and the 3 Bodies September 25, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Ugh- I hate it when kids are so mean. :( Good for her for attending the dance regardless of their cruelty and thoughtlessness.

I could eat my bodyweight (a lot) in those Oatmeal Squares and we got a sample box of the buckwheat cereal in the Fitbloggin swag bag. So good! That breakfast looks pretty to me!

19 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 25, 2012 at 5:33 pm

That girl is showing bravery in a circumstance that many have been crushed under. It’s hard to think that bullying to such a degree actually happens in real life and not just in the movies. And instead of hiding, she’s telling her story — what an amazing inspiration!!

Ps. Love your ugly breakfast — ugly food always tastes better I think! ;)

20 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 25, 2012 at 9:36 pm

What an amazing kid! Bullying has always been an issue but social media has created a whole new set of issues for these poor kids who are being bullied. Its like they cant escape it, even at home. Its horrible. :(