Has fall finally found its way to Florida?

by Meghann on September 24, 2012

I couldn’t believe it when I walked outside this morning and there was a nice cool breeze in the air. No record lows were being broken or anything, but I’ll take the 70 degree low over the 80 degree low any day of the week.

You can always tell it’s good running weather by how a runner prepares for a run in the morning. When it’s hot and humid or freezing outside, it’s all about the art of stalling. In those situations, a runner takes one’s time picking out the perfect running outfit, finding the perfect shoes, making sure enough water is consumed, hitting the bathroom more than once, etc. etc. When it’s nice out, it’s go-go-go. So the running shorts and top don’t match? So you grabbed the first pair of shoes in the closet? So you waited to finish tying your shoes until you were outside so you weren’t wasting any time while the GPS loaded? Who cares? There’s awesome running weather that needs to be taken advantage of before it passes! Go! Go! Go!

This morning was definitely a go-go-go morning. There was no stalling ( and, trust me, I’m the queen of stalling in the morning), just the priority of getting dressed and heading out the door before the good weather made way for the hot and sunny weather.

My run was worth the rush. The fall-like weather was amazing and perfect for knocking out my planned 5 miles. I hope the cooler morning weather is here to stay. Also, I wanted to note that my right knee felt fine for the entire run, it also felt great on my long bike ride yesterday. You guys had some great advice on what might be causing the pain in the water (ie. bad flip turns) that I plan to discuss with my coach this week. Here’s hoping we figure out what’s up!

Post-run breakfast

We have a HUGE bag of kale in the fridge, hence the crazy consumption of kale lately. Not that I mind, kale really is awesome. Especially with scrambled eggs. The trick is to cook the kale first with a little salt, then add the scrambled eggs to the pan once the kale is a dark green. Otherwise the kale is too chewy.

An apple on the side rounds out the plate.

How are the temps where you are? Feeling like fall yet?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

Glorious sub-50 temps this morning! Definitely made for a brisk nice run :)
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..WTFRRRIIIDAAYYY ;)

2 Lindsey September 24, 2012 at 9:50 am

It does here (Alberta Canada)! We are still having hotter afternoons but the mornings and evenings are getting chilly!
Lindsey recently posted..2/10 Years

3 Army Amy* September 24, 2012 at 10:04 am

Where I’m at in Germany, we’ve had fall temps for a while. Everyone says it’s going to be winter in a matter of days. While I’m not crazy about that, we really have ideal running weather right now.*

4 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 24, 2012 at 10:04 am

Unfortunately, the weather is messing with me here in Oklahoma. Yesterday it was only about 75 and today it’s suppose to hit 90!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Back to the Future

5 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife September 24, 2012 at 10:59 am

Glad to know that I’m not the only one who stalls. Since moving to Tennessee from Boston two months ago, my running has been terrible due to the hot temps. With these wonderful fall temperatures now (it was 50 degrees this morning), it makes it a bit easier to get out the door.
Anne @strawberryjampackedlife recently posted..The Great Outdoors

6 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air September 24, 2012 at 11:02 am

It’s fall here in Louisville and I LOVE IT!! Seriously perfect running weather. And perfect for all of my cute fall clothes that I just brought up from the basement :)
Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air recently posted..September update: Teamwork

7 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 24, 2012 at 11:22 am

It’s definitely feeling like fall in Chicago! We’ve had highs in the 50s and 60s for the past week!

8 Rebecca September 24, 2012 at 11:33 am

Fall is here in Ottawa – more rainy days, no more humidity(!!) and the obvious drop in temps. I don’t mind though, I would rather put on a sweater than be sweating in a tank-top and short shorts (which I cannot wear at school, haha).
Rebecca recently posted..Army Run Half Marathon Race Report!

9 Steph September 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

My run buddies this morning were actually saying that they had wished they had a sweater! There was a mighty wind heading towards downtown on Bayshore! Love love love those cool mornings. SO worth getting up before dawn to enjoy it. :)
Steph recently posted..Healthy eating on a budget

10 Allison September 24, 2012 at 12:16 pm

It is still hot hot hot here in Tx
Allison recently posted..Friday confessions

11 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 24, 2012 at 12:17 pm

No Fall Temps in Texas yet :-(. I am SOOOO ready to have consistent days in the 80′s even because this 95+ degree weather we are having is for the birds. I love Summer and all but I am more than ready to see a little Fall. Maybe in another week or two…..
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Peanut Butter Alert

12 Maureen @ Organically Mo September 24, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I’m in Central California and we are having low 60′s in the morning that creep up to mid 90′s by the afternoon. As long as I get my walks in at work & TRX in after work, I don’t have to get all gross & sweaty from the heat!
Maureen @ Organically Mo recently posted..What A Weekend!

13 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm

This morning we had to close the large garage door at crossfit because it was so cold – in the 40s! I am loving it!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Happy Birthday Chris!

14 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm

It’s definitely fall in Chicago! When I watched the weather before work this morning, it was actually below freezing in some of the suburbs! Everyone’s broken out their jackets and sweatshirts and such. I love it <3
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

15 Jennifer L September 24, 2012 at 1:35 pm

This morning it was around 40* (in Detroit), but I think that’s great running weather. A long sleeved shirt and a hat and I’m set. Today felt perfect to me, but I was also pushing myself so maybe I was more heated up than normal. It’s definitely fall weather here, but the afternoons can get in the 70s. It’s so hard to dress this time of year around here! Start the day wanting a sweater AND a jacket… and by mid-afternoon I wish I wore a tank top. Argh!
Jennifer L recently posted..Welcome :)

16 carol September 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Maine is welcoming fall – evening temps are nippy 40′s – today high 60′s. So happy to see the high temps and high humidity gone. Hard to think I lived in Florida and so loved the temps there. Must admit I’m not looking forward to the loooooooooooong winter months, snowfall after snowfall … never have, never will.

17 Jessica September 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Hi Meghann, I’m just wondering how many calories you’re consuming per day? With all the physical activity you are doing, I don’t see how a breakfast of approximately 250 calories would satisfy you? Just an honest question. :)

18 Meghann September 25, 2012 at 10:49 am

I do not count my calories at a regular basis, so I’m not sure how much I’m taking in a day. My meal sizes vary, so I assume they just all equal out at the end of the day. And you’re right – breakfast wasn’t terribly satisfying, which is why I ate lunch at 11:30. :)

19 Megan @ The Running Doc September 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm

I can so relate to this post! As soon as I woke up Saturday morning I immediately threw on my running clothes and grabbed my dog. It was only 65 outside and the high for the day was 91 so I knew I didn’t have much time before the temperature really started climbing! Oh the joys of living in southern TX (or Florida)!
Megan @ The Running Doc recently posted..Parmesan and Bacon Oven-Roasted Potatoes

20 Melissa September 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm

It’s still summer in SoCal. I’ve been getting up at 5 am on Saturdays, even though I do that during the workweek, just so I can get my long run in before it’s miserable outside. We’ve had constant heat for the last month. It’s terrible for running.

21 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 24, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Barely above freezing for my ride in this morning, but it’s still warming up to the 70s ish. I LOVE FALL!!!!
Glad to hear your knee is holding up! :) Injuries are (obviously) best avoided.
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..“I Don’t Chase Boys, I Pass Them”

22 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 24, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I broke out the boots today – definitely fall weather around here.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The Newest Fitness Plan.

23 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes September 24, 2012 at 8:01 pm

It was a bit chilly in Central New York this morning–39 degrees meant Under Armour top and bottoms!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Apple Picking and the Arrival of Fall

24 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Despite the fact that it’s supposed to be 75* tomorrow, it’s been chilly with crisp air and I’m LOVING it!!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Coexist

25 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 24, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Good tip on the kale! Love using kale and spinach to add volume to meals. Easy, tasty, healthy, done. And I’m glad you’re knee is feeling better! Have you ever tried gyrotonics? It’s a good way to exercise and strengthen your joints without putting the pressure on them.
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Weekend Eats & Treats