Every Last Detail

by Meghann on September 24, 2012

When I first got engaged back in January, I did what almost every modern day bride does – I went a little crazy checking out every wedding site and wedding blog under the sun. Then I quickly realized I wasn’t a fan of any of them (don’t even get me started on The Knot Forums – disorganized chaos!). As someone who blogs, loves to read blogs, and thinks about blogs 95% of the day, I was surprised when I didn’t find myself immediately drawn to any of them. I think a lot of them were a bit of overwhelming and a little too over the place for my taste.

As time passed, I did eventually find a wedding blog or two that piqued my interests (shout out to Kiss My Tulle, Budget Savvy Bride, and A Practical Wedding!) and at the top of that list was Every Last Detail. These blogs seemed a little more down to earth and relatable to me.

Lauren (who writes Every Last Detail) is a Tampa Bay area local and in the midst of planning a wedding blogger conference. She invited me out for coffee this morning to pick my brain on what it takes to plan a blogging conference (lots of coffee and thick skin!).

Screen shot 2012-09-24 at 12.59.51 PM.png

It was actually pretty fun to talk to a dedicated wedding blogger and get her spin on the blogging world. When it comes down to it, bloggers are all one in the same. We all have our own sources of drama and support (including blogging “besties” that are usually on gchat standby 24 hours a day ;)), as well as a high passion for what we’re writing about. Lauren could probably go on-and-on about all things wedding related, just as I could go on-and-on about all things fitness and food related. It’s what we do, as well as what we love.

I told Lauren some of my pet peeves with wedding blogs and she agreed with some and disagreed with others. I think what it boils down to (just with everything in life!) is personal preference. A lot of the wedding blogs are leaning away from the “blog” concept and marketing themselves more as a resource site for brides that focus mainly on giving advice and wedding inspiration. Which is cool, but I like more of the “bride bloggers” that are blogging about their wedding as they plan it (maybe that’s just the lifestyle blogger in me that loves reading personal accounts of things?). I can dig the wedding inspiration sites too (heck – I’m a fan of Lauren’s!), I just miss the personal side of it.

The only reason I started writing the wedding page portion of my blog was to have a fun place to document the wedding planning process. I like randomly releasing ideas out in the world and slowly watching my wedding come together. Plus, writing everything as I go (complete with monthly check-ins) has helped keep me extremely organized in the planning process. I’m not sure where I would be without my wedding page keeping me on track!

It was great meeting Lauren, I hope we can get together again soon!

Lunch was on the small side today (the other half of last night’s sandwich) since I have plans later this afternoon and wanted to be hungry again around 3:00.

20120924_122220.jpg

This sucker was just enough to hold me over until then. :)

Besides healthy-and-ftiness or foodie blogs, what are some other blog genres that you enjoy reading?

1 Cris of Kiss My Tulle September 24, 2012 at 1:52 pm

First: Aw! THANK YOU for mentioning my blog and for reading it. My little dog and pony show is a blast to write and I love hearing that people enjoy reading it.

Second: I am SO jealous that you got to meet Lauren. She is amazing, isn’t she?

Third: Love that bloggers are so happy to share their knowledge and tips with other bloggers. I would not have been able to grow my own blog without help from others and I’m grateful to pay it forward and see others do the same.
Cris of Kiss My Tulle recently posted..Married Monday: The Ranty Bride, House Guests, and Sharing Your Space

2 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed September 24, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I tend to obsess over book review blogs and/or theatre blogs. I am a big friggen nerd-o. I also really, really, really love science blogs. There’s a blog for everything. Hell, I’ve seen blogs dedicated to one celebrity’s one body part. (not the ween, oddly)
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..Opus Dentist

3 Heather September 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I love baby blogs…I may be getting the bug a bit. sshhh don’t tell my husband.

4 KT September 24, 2012 at 1:57 pm

If you like blogger style wedding sites, then you should check out weddingbee! I actually did find their message boards helpful (I agree with you on the knot chaos!). I also really like following along with the “Ms. bee bloggers” as they plan their weddings. Even though I got married almost 4 months ago, I still stop by there about once a week to check in on the recaps from some of my favorite bloggers…

5 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I sent this on to my friend! She’ll be planning a wedding for this summer in Charleston and is looking for resources since she’ll also be doing it on a budget.
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Fall Bucket List

6 Meghan B. September 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I think the difference between wedding blogs and healthy living blogs is this: After planning one’s own wedding for a year or so, the event happens and then the personal experience is over and already documented. There is a clear beginning and end. To continue blogging, one have to do so as a resource guide or inspiration blog. Whereas with fitness and healthy living, it is a constant journey with endless ups, downs, and turns, giving one plenty of fodder for posts and conversation.

7 Meghann September 25, 2012 at 9:29 am

I agree, which is why I like Budget Savvy Brides – the blog has three brides they feature at any given time that are currently planning their weddings and blog about the process. When their wedding is over, the blog recruits a new bride. WeddingBee has the same concept, but I haven’t gotten into that blog as much. :)

8 Annette @FitnessPerks September 24, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I planned a wedding without too many blogs actually, because I knew exactly what I wanted. But I am that gal–who always knew it ;) Hah. Just had to find the right time & right guy. And it all came together beautifully! I love meeting other bloggers-so fun!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Fitness Moving Forward – Means to an End

9 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners September 24, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I liked The Knot Month board when I was planning – it was great to have ladies in the same stage as I was and have our excitement mount as we get closer!
I mostly read running blogs, but I am a biologist, so I also check out a fair number of bird, moth and nature blogs :)
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..Taharhumara, Running Momma and Me!

10 Laura September 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Did you check out weddingbee? I loved their blog while planning and still like to read it even though I’m married! Their site is a bunch of ladies blogging and thats pretty much it!

11 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 24, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I really enjoy book blogs. Ones that are written by authors are especially awesome!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Back to the Future

12 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 24, 2012 at 6:10 pm

DEFINITELY agree here!! It’s interesting to see if their “blogging” voice is different than their “narrating” voice (if that makes any sense…).
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..“I Don’t Chase Boys, I Pass Them”

13 Christine @ BookishlyB September 24, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Book blogs- because I write one!
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Salman Rushdie

14 Chelsea September 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm

I was going to echo the Weddingbee suggestion that others are giving you– it’s exactly what you’re describing.

15 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 24, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I read 98% healthy living / fitness / food blogs. It’s my biggest interest at this point in my life but I do also enjoy reading some fashion and DIY blogs (or at least POSTS) on occasion.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Coexist

16 Lauren @ The Unlikely Runners September 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for the info on wedding blogs! I just got engaged and have been searching for good wedding blogs with good information but like you I found they were more marketing tools, so I will go and check out your recommendations! Thanks!!
Lauren @ The Unlikely Runners recently posted..The One With Two Weeks’ Worth Of Training Updates

17 Simone September 24, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I am the least crafty person I know but I LOVE a good crafty blog, I just read through in complete awe of what people can put together, so cool!
Simone recently posted..Farmers market love

18 Allison September 24, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I was a loser bride. I wanted to marry the husband, but I didn’t want to do the work for the wedding! I met with our planner once. My mom and husband planned everything!
Allison recently posted..Friday confessions

19 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 24, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Honestly, I mainly stick to health + fitness blogs…I’m obsessed! But I do love How Sweet Eats…that chick is hilarious and her food photos + recipes are awesome!
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Weekend Eats & Treats

20 Becky @ runfundone September 24, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I loved this blog when I was engaged…I think it was called 2000dollarwedding.com I loved it because it was all about saving $$ and making the day meaningful and the marriage last. Loved it!
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..Should I be a Germaphobe?

21 Laura September 24, 2012 at 11:27 pm

It’s neat that you seem to meet up with so many other local bloggers. How did you go about starting up the monthly meet ups? (I know this was a specific meeting, but you got me thinking.) I don’t know of anything like blog monthly meet ups in the Baltimore area and I would love to start something like that if one doesn’t exist.
Laura recently posted..Monday Madness

22 Meghann September 25, 2012 at 10:46 am

I just created the Facebook group and invited bloggers I knew in the area to join, then they invited their blogger friends, and it grew from there! I just did a quick Facebook Search of “Baltimore Bloggers” and this popped up for food bloggers: http://www.facebook.com/baltimorefoodbloggers I’m sure if you kept digging you might find a few more out there just by googling, and if you don’t find one that suits you – start your own. :)

23 Chelsea @ahintofhealthy September 25, 2012 at 12:22 am

I felt the same about wedding blogs! Super overwhelming when I was getting ready! Besides health blogs, I enjoy just food blogs in general! And I love party hosting blogs, those are always really fun for me to read.
Chelsea @ahintofhealthy recently posted..Number 1 Weight Loss and Maintenance Tip

24 Lauren @ Every Last Detail September 25, 2012 at 12:33 am

Awwww thanks for the shout out!!!! It was AWESOME meeting you and chatting a little about our corners of the web! ;) Next time, it will have to be for longer and more in depth!! I’m pretty sure we could go on for FOREVER! :)
Lauren @ Every Last Detail recently posted..Romantic Italy Destination Wedding

25 Emily N September 25, 2012 at 10:13 am

I went through this when planning my wedding as well. Honestly, Ihardly used anything that I found online and just went with “winging it”. It turned out well though. :)
Emily N recently posted..An Unusual (but necessary!) Meeting

26 Stephanie September 25, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I also agree that you should check out the WeddingBee. That’s been my favorite wedding resource site, simply because of the start-to-finish wedding blogging from each individual girl.