Yelp-O-Scream

by Meghann on September 22, 2012

Well, Yelp, you did it again. You hooked your Elite members UP. Free food? Free alcohol? Early admission? Front-of-the-line passes? The chance to experience something I’ve never done before? Yep, you spoiled us. I’m pretty sure after this going to a theme park will never be the same.

P9210013.JPG

In case you’ve never heard of Yelp (or are new to the blog), Yelp is an awesome online community where members can rate and review restaurants/events/stores/etc.. Yelp Elite are the extreme Yelpers who are considered the “regulars” on the Yelp site. ANYONE can become a Yelp Elite, the only requirements are a Yelper who has have been yelping for at least 3+ months, consistently writing new reviews, and have that Yelp enthusiasm. Easy enough, right? And as a bonus to show how much Yelp appreciates their elite, once a month they host Yelp Elite events at various locations around their area. I’ve been Yelp Elite since April and have attended two pretty amazing events – one at Samurai Blue in May and another at Ciro’s in June.

Unfortunately I haven’t been able to attend any of the other events over the summer due to traveling (but they did all look pretty sweet!). When I saw the announcement for the September Yelp Elite Event at Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens pop up in my email, I may or may not have let out a high squeal and jumped out of my chair. eekkk!!!

Screen shot 2012-09-22 at 1.57.51 PM.png

Howl-O-Scream is Busch Garden’s version of a haunted theme park. Every weekend from now until Halloween, they shut the park down to regular guests at 6:00 pm and transform the park into a scary, spooky maze of craziness for guests who purchase special Howl-O-Scream tickets. They keep all their roller coasters open, but also open a few themed haunted houses that guests can walk through and have various scare zones set-up around the park.

I grew up outside of Orlando and was a regular fixture at Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights (see 2008 and 2009 adventures), but I’d never been to Howl-O-Scream at Busch Gardens. Heck, despite living in the same city as Busch Gardens for over a year and a half, I hadn’t been to the theme park since I visited Derek in college, way back in 2006! I was PUMPED for this new adventure. Once again, being a Yelp Elite ROCKS!!!

P9210035.jpg

Last night was Howl-O-Scream’s opening night, which meant all the invited Yelp Elite members (and their guests) would be the first to experience this year’s spooky festivities. In honor of the 13th year, this year’s Howl-O-Scream had an unlucky superstition theme (i.e. 13 is an unlucky number, just as breaking a mirror is 7 years bad luck or jumping on a bed will cause you to lose your head).

As Yelp Elite VIP guests, we were asked to arrive before the park opened for a VIP party filled with free drinks and food (sweet)!

P9210002.JPG

Since Derek was working late, he met us later at the park and fellow Elite Yelper Mary (who only recently gained the status – congrats!) and her husband gave me a lift. We gave them our names and they handed over our VIP badges, passes, and drink tickets.

P9210003.JPG

We also got a cool goodie bag that was filled with some Howl-O-Scream goodies.

P9210005.JPG

VIP, baby!

P9210007.JPG

P9210012.JPG

P9210011.JPG

P9210016.JPG

I made a beeline for the food.

P9210018.JPG

I was STARVING at this point and loaded up two full plates of food. Unfortunately it was all really heavy, so I didn’t finish all of it. A lot of it tasted good going down (mmm… chicken tenders), but my stomach was not happy with the heavy choices later. Definitely should have stuck to the salads.

P9210023.JPG

I didn’t capture a photo of it, but I also had some of the chocolate covered popcorn they were handed out. I could have ate my weight in that stuff (maybe another reason my stomach wasn’t happy with me?).

Second priority – drinks!

P9210014.JPG

Not much of a selection, but I did have a red wine and then went back for a Bud Light Lime. They were handing out yard glasses with the beer.

P9210028.JPG

I ended up refilling the yard with water and enjoyed beer flavored water the rest of the night. ;)

P9210026.JPG

Hi Nanci! (another elite newbie and fellow Tampa Bay Lady Blogger)

P9210024.JPG

P9210033.JPG

While we were partying it up VIP style inside with our fellow Yelpers, it started to POUR outside. The VIP event ended at 8:00 and we stretched it out as long as possible, hoping the rain would pass. No dice. Luckily the Howl-O-Scream staff was prepared and started passing out sweet ponchos as we exited the VIP area.

P9210037.JPG

What can I say? We ROCKED the poncho look. I think the yard cups and neck holders really pull the look together. It says “just because we’re locals, doesn’t mean we’re above being tourists for the night.” ;)

And off we went to brave the rain.

P9210049.JPG

(p.s. the poncho really did rock – my clothes were nice and dry all evening.)

Our VIP passes came with a few perks, such as the ability to skip the lines.

P9210044.JPG

If you don’t have a VIP pass, you can purchase a “Front Line Fear Pass” to skip to the front of all the lines for the haunted houses and rides. The lines weren’t terrible last night (opening night + rain = low turn out), but they’re rumored to grow up to 2 hours during the busiest weekends leading up to Halloween. Back in the day my family used to pre-purchase the fast passes for Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights so we stood a chance of actually seeing everything (instead of waiting in line the whole time). When it’s busy, the passes are worth the investment.

P9210063.JPG

P9210068.JPG

After hitting up our first two haunted houses (which were just okay – you could tell the houses still had some kinks to work out to really scare everyone walking through), this guy showed up.

P9210069.JPG

Yay! Derek’s here! :)

AND all the roller coasters opened back up (they had shut them down when it was really pouring outside).

P9210071.JPG

Cheetah Hunt just opened at Busch Gardens last summer. It’s the park’s latest and greatest attraction, so I was excited to finally take it for a test ride.

P9210079.JPG

Holy cow! That coaster rocked! Definitely ranks up there with my top three favorite coasters of all time (right after Rip Ride Rockit Roller Coaster at Universal and the Superman ride at Six Flags). Loved the big drops and loved the high speed. However, riding a coaster in the rain? Ouch.

P9210082.JPG

I think our faces say it all. The rain drops were like daggers and I had difficulty keeping my eye open. The ONLY downside of the coaster.

P9210083.JPG

However, that didn’t stop us from riding it again. ;)

P9210100.JPG

(notice how I look exactly the same in both)

We hit another haunted house, then hopped on Montu.

P9210088.JPG

P9210092.JPG

Fun fact: Montu was my very first roller coaster when I was 11 or 12. Awww…. memories.

P9210098.JPG

The boys.

P9210103.JPG

My FAVORITE haunted house from the night was the 3D house.

P9210105.JPG

And not only because we made the 3D glasses look good. ;)

P9210110.JPG

Actually, the glasses were pretty sweet. They made all the bight colors pop and glow, giving us all almost a drunk-eye feeling while wearing them through the haunted house. Plus, I was so busy focusing on the glowing props, that I had more than one clown jump out and scare the heck out of me. Nothing scarier than a glowing clown jumping out of no where.

P9210114.JPG

On top of the houses, there were scare zones around the park where costumed characters follow you, call out to you, and try to scare the hell out of you.

P9210126.JPG

They’ll also pose for a picture with you if you ask nicely. ;)

P9210119.JPG

Our last ride of the night – Sheikra (aka the coaster known for the huge drop at the beginning and not much else).

P9210123.JPG

What a blast! With our VIP passes we were able to see the whole park in a little more than 3 hours, without them we probably would have been there until closing at 1:30. I’m telling you – Yelp spoiled us! I’m not sure Howl-O-Scream will ever be the same!

P9210127.JPG

Thank you Yelp and Howl-O-Scream for the awesome evening. Despite the rain, we still managed to have an amazing time and got the most we could out of our Howl-O-Scream experience. Now I’m pumped more than ever for the Halloween season to being. Witches? Goblins? And Vampires? Bring them on!

Have you ever been to Howl-o-Scream? Halloween Horror Nights? Another theme park’s version or scaring guests?

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm

OMG I cannot wait to live in a city that has an active Yelp community again! Ahhh… I am an elite but live too far away from civilization, lol ;)
Krissy @ Shiawase Life recently posted..WTFRRRIIIDAAYYY ;)

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 22, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I’ve been thinking of Yelping here in Ottawa — you’ve convinced me to start! :)
I love roller coasters so your night would be like paradise to me (including the ponchos! Hot!!), except for the raindrops = daggers bit.
I also really enjoy doing “stay-cations” / being a tourist in your own hometown activities — Ottawa is a really great city and I love exploring it.
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..SES #5 — Storytelling

3 Jennifer L September 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm

What an awesome Yelp event! I am on Yelp too, but haven’t been to an event since Christmas… always scheduling conflicts between me and Yelp!

I’ve been to Halloweekends at Cedar Point in Ohio… I’ll be going again next weekend I think… it’s fun! It’s pretty much just like the Howl-O-Scream, just at Cedar Point! I love theme events :)
Jennifer L recently posted..Welcome :)

4 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 22, 2012 at 3:56 pm

That looks SO fun. I’ve gotta get Yelping. I grew up in Tampa and have been to busch gardens a lot, but never to howl-o-scream. looks like fun for sure!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Coffee Date: All Dressed Up

5 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 22, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I know Canada’s Wonderland does something similar close to Halloween – I’ve never been but it would be amazing!

I’m not going to lie, the 3D haunted house would probably be making me cry. I cannot handle clowns. Like at all – creepy things!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The ACV Train.

6 Theresa September 22, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Howl-O-Scream was where my husband and I went for our first date way back in 2003!
Theresa recently posted..CFLBlogCon: My First Conference

7 Meghann September 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I met a couple who had their first date there too!

8 Tracy September 22, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Isn’t rock n roller coaster at Hollywood studios? The one that features Aerosmith music?

9 Meghann September 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I meant Rip Ride Rockit Roller Coaster, for some reason I always call it “Rockin’ Roller Coaster” because you listen to music while you ride it. :)

10 Molly @ RDexposed September 22, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Bud Light Lime? That is incredibly sad. I suppose it can make one “scream.” Ha

11 Jessi September 22, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Just wondering how come you’re not at Fitblogging conference?

12 Meghann September 22, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Because I was just at BlogHer and Healthy Living Summit in August and at the Anytime Fitness Conference last week in Chicago. I needed a traveling break. :)

13 Simone September 22, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I went to a haunted night at Play Land in Vancouver 2 years ago and decided to walk through the haunted house with my friends. I am weirdly afraid of the dark so was freaking out, I ended up grabbing one of my friends shirts, closing my eyes and just followed along behind them, I was too much of a baby!
Simone recently posted..To yoyo or not… that is the question

14 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 22, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Wow, what a blast! And the food looks awesome. I used to go to the Six Flags Halloween every year growing up. Definitely scary!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Self-Esteem Saturday

15 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm

omg so jealous!!! I LOVE amusement parks but rarely get the chance to go, that looks like a blast!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Blog Love

16 Stephanie September 22, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I went to Howl-O-Scream two years ago in college. The later you go in the season, the more crowded it gets!

17 Jena September 22, 2012 at 8:07 pm

i hate being scared, i will NEVER go to any kind of haunted theme park. MH dragged me through a haunted house a few years ago and I was terrified the entire time. No thanks.
Jena recently posted..oh you know, just for fun

18 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 22, 2012 at 9:07 pm

FUN!!! We have a BG here in Virginia and we go to Hallowscreem every fall. Its a blast! Last year I went to Universal’s Halloween Horror Nights for the first time and loved it! Much scarier than BG! Both are awesome though.
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Always Take A List

19 Alaina September 22, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I think I need to participate in Yelp more often. Either that or Urbanspoon needs to start having parties like this!

Montu was my first roller coaster too. For some reason the park was relatively empty so my friend and I rode it 3 times in a row. :-)
Alaina recently posted..2012 CVS Downtown 5k

20 Courtney September 22, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Girl! Elite Yelp status! That looks like SUCH a blast! I’m trying to find you on Yelp now :)
Courtney recently posted..Werkin’ it, Twerkin’ it

21 Katie September 23, 2012 at 1:41 am

I agree: the event was really great! I also loved the 3-D clown house…the bright colors and the glasses were a good touch…totally disorienting! It was actually my first time ever at Busch Gardens (and I’ve lived here 12 years…umm that is kind of sad). I don’t ride roller coasters so I use that as an excuse. I totally could have done without the rain – we were one of the groups who got tickets to the Alone house, and the downpour happened right as we were standing outside to go in! We had to wait under an awning for 45 minutes…we kept joking that we should go back to the Yelp tent to get more food and drinks! But, those ponchos were definitely nice and thick – I was shocked that I managed to stay somewhat dry!
Katie recently posted..Get the look: a bright pencil skirt for fall

22 amyt September 24, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I’ve been to Halloween Horror nights several times – always have fun, but it’s always SO crowded – I’ve always went the weekend before Halloween, that could be my mistake :-\ still fun though!

23 Katie @ A Full Plate September 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

I was so bumed I missed this event! Was signed up to go but had to work late :( Glad you went though so I could live the fun through you. It looks like it was a blast!
Katie @ A Full Plate recently posted..Getting Serious