A Camera’s Tale

by Meghann on September 21, 2012

Mama’s got a brand new toy.

Olympus.jpeg

And Mama likes! (so far – I’ve only had it in an hour ;) )

I should preface this post by saying that this camera was not a blog-related freebie, nor am I being compensated by Best Buy, Olympus, Canon, or any other company I may mention below. I’m just story telling here – nothing else. :)

Anyway, remember when my Canon S95 bit the dust right before I boarded my flight to Chicago on Friday? Yeah, it never fully recovered. One second I was taking a photo, the next it was screaming *lens error* and shutting itself off with the lens stuck out. No matter how many times I pushed the button, twisted the lens, or tried pushing it back in, the lens would not budge. I gave it a few days to right itself, but no dice.

RIP Canon S95.

20120920_170947.jpg

If you’ve been reading my blog a while (a loonnggg while), then you know I’m a camera klutz. Back in 2008 I went through 5 point-and -shoots through the course of a year (no lie). With that sort of history, I learned a long time ago to buy a camera with a good protection plan, which is why I always buy my cameras from Best Buy. The $39.99 extra investment is worth it. ALWAYS worth it. That way I don’t have to worry about dealing with the camera company directly (they take care of that for me) and the plan covers being a klutz (like dropping the camera or getting it wet).

I bought my first Canon S95 back in May of 2011. LOVED it… until I dropped it (whoops) last November. No worries – I had my plan! I brought it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy, they sent it off, and a week later I got a phone call that I was eligible for a new replacement camera – sweet! I took advantage of my warranty and got a brand-spanking-new Canon S95. The only thing I had to pay for was a new protection plan (the plan didn’t transfer from device to device).

Everything was going great with my newer Canon S95 (I used the hell out of that sucker) up until Friday when the *lens error* appeared. Whomp. Whomp. Once I knew it was good and dead, I brought it straight to Best Buy on Monday to be sent off for repair.

Usually when I bring a device in, I can just give my phone number and they can just look up my information, but the Geek Squad member was having problems looking up my account. He told me the only S95 he found under my number was one purchased in May 2011. Unfortunately the computer told him the protection plan for that camera had expired in May 2012. At the point, I couldn’t remember when I bought the camera, so I just took his word for it and left to research my options. It wasn’t until I was in the shower that night that I remember the whole dropping and replacing incident in November. He was wrong – that camera was still protected!

I spent the next 48-hrs combing through all my secret receipt hiding places looking for a copy of the original receipt (I save EVERYTHING) just in case I needed proof. I found nada. Then I faintly remembered the receipts saved in my inbox and decided to try there.

Bam!

Screen shot 2012-09-21 at 4.01.04 PM.png

I was covered!

Back to Best Buy I went.

With my receipt, they were able to locate my plan without a problem. Even better, when they punched the info for the camera in, it popped up for an automatic replacement (I guess the lens error is common in that camera?). Awesome news! However, since they no longer cary the Canon S95, I was instructed to pick another camera within the same price range to take home. Ever awesomer news!

I was first drawn towards the Canon S100.

20120921_133947.jpg

(my Galaxy S3 was NOT digging the store’s lighting)

The Canon S100 is basically an upgraded S95. It has the same features, same functionality, same everything really. Up until that minute, I thought that was the one I was going to be taking home. I mean, I loved my Canon S95, right? Why wouldn’t I love the S100?

That’s when I really started thinking. How much did I really love the S95? I mean there were things I liked about it (the manual shooting mode option, the F2.0, the small size, the low lighting setting, etc.), but I haven’t been as happy with it lately. The pictures have just been, well, blah. I can’t really pinpoint what made them “blah” besides the fact my gut was telling me to explore other options.

So I started walking around the display of cameras and came across the Olympus TG-1.

Olympus.jpeg

For some reason, this baby caught my attention. It’s “rough and tough” so it’s waterproof, shatterproof, and, essentially, Meghann proof. I already have a waterproof camera at home, but it SUCKS. It takes great photos underwater, but awful above-water photos. Because of that I only use it IN the water (so when I’m at the beach I still have my regular camera for “beach” shots and my underwater camera for “water” shots <- annoying).

What REAlLY pulled me into the TG-1 was the f2.0. Hmm… that’s the #1 thing that first attracted me to the S95 and now it’s attracting me to the TG-1. I took a few practice shots in the store (playing with the various features) and was impressed with the low light and macro settings. Not bad. Not bad. Then I googled the camera and discovered it had some pretty decent reviews online. Everyone seemed to be impressed with the quality of photos for a “rough and tough” camera.

I was actually in the middle of reading the reviews when a Best Buy employee found me and asked if I needed help. We chatted about the camera and, the more I heard him speak on the lowlight features, the more he sold me on it. If I didn’t like it, he reminded me I had 30 days to return it.

So I took the plunge and said yes to the camera. I got the box, brought it up front, and handed it over with a smile on my face. That’s when the nice Geek Squad lady asked if I had the cords to the S95. Crap. Nope. I’ve never needed them before? Is that new?

She couldn’t trade the camera in without the cords from the old one, so I was SOL for the day (read: too lazy to drive all the way home and all the way back).

Best Buy take three.

I found all the cords in the camera’s box (untouched and still wrapped neatly in their bubble wrap – does anyone actually use the cords that come with their cameras anymore?) and brought it to Best Buy at lunch time.

This time I was triple prepared – I had my old receipt, I had all the cords with the broken camera, and I knew which camera I wanted – if this wasn’t it, then I was on the verge of throwing in the towel!

Luckily, everything went smoothly. They traded my camera in, were able to credit my protection plan to the new camera (since technically the manufacture’s warranty was used for the camera replacement), and I walked out with my new camera 30 minutes later (there was a short line).

20120921_140816.jpg

I hate to give a camera review a mere hour after purchasing it, but so far I’m a fan. The few test photos I’ve managed to take of my Starbucks cup have already impressed me.

P9210006.JPG P9210007.JPG P9210009.JPG P9210010.JPG P9210014.JPG P9210016.jpg

Of course, I’ll have to report back in a couple of weeks to see how I really feel. I have high hopes though! :)

So that’s my camera’s tale – I told you I was just story telling. :)

Oh, you want food?

Here you go!

Tofu tacos with spinach and feta for lunch.

With a side of pretzels and hummus.

Yummy in my tummy. :)

What point and shoot do you use? What do you love/ don’t love about it?

1 RunInBoise September 21, 2012 at 4:55 pm

It’s time for a new camera for me. The one I got way back in 2007 (a Sony) is sad. It works, but the digital screen doesn’t.
RunInBoise recently posted..Almost Had It Done!

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 21, 2012 at 5:00 pm

My point and shoot is my iPhone 4S… ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday!

3 Annette @FitnessPerks September 21, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Yay for phone new phones! I use my iPhone 4S for it all. LOVE it.

4 ashley September 21, 2012 at 5:36 pm

You don’t use the camera cords? What do you use to transfer pictures or charge the camera? Am I missing out on something way cool?I have a thousand tangled messy cords everywhere.

5 Meghann September 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I have a slot in my laptop so I can insert the card directly and transfer the photos that way. The charger is a wall charger that just holds the battery.

6 Courtney September 21, 2012 at 6:02 pm

That protection plan from Best Buy sounds ingenious! It’s kind of like Apple Care! I dig.

7 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 21, 2012 at 6:34 pm

My camera is a Kodak. I’m really not that crazy about it. It just doesn’t seem to take very good pictures.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..I Am My Competition

8 Kristine September 21, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Mama? Is there something that you aren’t telling us? hahaha

9 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm

yay for a new camera! Haha that’s a lot of cameras! I got one my senior year of high school, spilled beer on it and the shutter doesn’t open well. I never got a new one… Lol I use my iPhone and that’s about it. I guess I’m not a big photography person?
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Blog Love

10 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats September 21, 2012 at 7:51 pm

I have a Panasonic lumix that I love. It’s waterproof so that’s def my favorite feature :)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..The day the pigeons broke the deal

11 Simone September 21, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I used to have a point and shoot but to be honest I much prefer my iphone to any camera I have used… maybe that means I have only had crappy cameras in the past but non the less I love my iphone camera
Simone recently posted..What a RAWsome night!

12 Stacey @starpulp September 21, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I currently have a Canon which I loved…until the dreaded “lens error”. My camera was actually a gift so I had do the awkward step and dance with my family (love them) to get the info on where they boughts & and the receipt. So I filled out the info through canons website for a repair &shipped it off… To have it returned about 10 days later witha notice that “lens error” is common& I had free repair with the lifetime of the product. ??? That’s all fine & dandy until I take the camera out again on assignment & have that same, dreaded “lens error” again. It’s pretty much acceptable unless I’m on a time-based assignment, then that SUCKS BALLS. Thanks for letting me vent!! OY!!
Stacey @starpulp recently posted..Timed Exercise 2012

13 Maria Lopez September 21, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I have had my eye on that camera for a while. I too am a clutz when it comes to dropping things. The camera I have now I dropped on the concrete the day I got it. I bought the Motorola Blur because it was water-resistent and sand proof so I could take it to the beach. But, alas. It was not drop-proof because I dropped it right in the corner and cracked the whole screen.

Can’t wait to see your reviews on the camera after you’ve had more use with it.
Maria Lopez recently posted..Cheese! And Wine!

14 Nicole September 21, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I have a Sony TX10 – If you are ever looking for an amazing waterproof/shockproof/dustproof camera that still takes fantastic photos then look this one up! I love it so much so far that I have barely taken out my dSLR since getting it!

15 Laura September 21, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Picking a new electronic device is always a good time. They are re-doing the Best Buy near my house right now and I can’t freakin’ wait. Every time I go in there it feels like Christmas, usually because I walk out with a new toy! Yay for a new camera! Double yay for it being a free manufacturer replacement!
Laura recently posted..High 5 for Friday

16 Elisabeth September 21, 2012 at 11:38 pm

The new P&S looks pretty sweet! For cameras I use: my phone (Motorola Droid X), a Canon ELPH 300 (LOVE!) and a Lumix FZ35. They all take good photos, but I’ve been planning a dSLR purchase for probably 6-7 years…ha! I will probably buy Canon, but I just can’t seem to make the leap ;)

17 Stacey D September 22, 2012 at 1:38 am

Hi Meghann! I’m so glad you did this post, because I want to get a point and shoot before NYC Marathon so I can take some pics during the race. I have been using the camera on my Droid X for my blog, and it’s a great camera for a phone; but I want to graduate on to a better quality pic and more ease of use while on the move, if you know what I mean. I think I’ll check out the camera you bought, because the pics of your Starbucks look great! It’s also less than what I thought I would spend on one, so that’s a plus. Again, thx for posting this! Have a wonderful weekend :-)

18 Dione September 22, 2012 at 10:32 am

I have a Canon S95 and had never heard of a “lens error” issue with it, crap! Before that I had an oooolllldddd Canon SD550 but knew it was time to upgrade when all of my photos stopped look sharp. Here’s hoping my new Canon can last awhile!

19 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Those are some mighty fine Starbucks cup photos, ha! I’ll be ready for a new point and shoot soon, so this is perfect timing. I have zero patience when it comes to picking out tech stuff, so I might just take your word for it. :) Keep us posted on how you like it!
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Do You Get Hangry When You’re Hungry?

20 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 22, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I have a waterproof/dustproof Fuji that I love!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Coffee Date: All Dressed Up

21 Emily N September 23, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Good luck with the new camera. The starbucks cups shots look pretty good!
Emily N recently posted..Columbus Marathon: Week in Review