more ยป" />

I’m a nerd

by Meghann on September 20, 2012

HUGE shout out to Mindy for posting this on her Facebook today.

Yes, that’s Hanson. Yes, they’re doing a cover of Taylor Swift’s “We are Never Ever Getting Back Together.” And, yes, it freaking rocks.

Come on, where are all my Hanson lovers at? And if you’re too young to remember ever hanging an “I Love Hanson” poster on your wall or hearing “MmmmBop” when it first came on the radio, then we can’t be friends anymore. :-p (just kidding!)

My name is Meghann and I was in middle school when Hanson, Backstreet Boys, and NSYNC burst on to the scene. (and I have no shame. ;) )

Were you into boy bands when you were younger? If so, who did you rock out to?

I’ve been trying something new with my runs lately. After I ran my planned 5 miles (in a misty rain – ughh) this morning, I did a mini circuit to sneak in some body-weight strength training for a complete work out.

Post-run:

• 30 jumping jacks
  • 15 squats
  • 15 lunges (on each leg)
  • 10 push-ups
  • 30 crunches
  • Repeat 2x

Nothing crazy, just enough to shake my legs up before I stretch them out.

After I stretched and showered, I made a bowl of plain yogurt and goodies for breakfast.

In the mix:

• Plain Chobani
  • Quaker Oatmeal Squares
  • Raspberries
  • Walnuts
  • Almond Butter

I think I’m going to pop in my old Hanson CD to get the energy up for working today.

Mmmbop, ba duba dop

Ba du bop, ba duba dop

Ba du bop, ba duba dop

Ba du

Yeah

Mmmbop, ba duba dop

Ba du bop, Ba du dop

Ba du bop, Ba du dop

Ba du

Yeah

Now try to get that un-stuck from your head!

1 Sana September 20, 2012 at 9:59 am

Lol, I missed the nerdy part. Must be because I am foreign :?
But I am kinda obsessed with that Taylor Swift song ;)

2 Margo September 20, 2012 at 10:12 am

I must be a nerd too, because I totally love it. Thanks for sharing!

3 Carly D. @ CarlyBananas September 20, 2012 at 10:18 am

I used to be OBSESSED with NSYNC. Honestly, if they were still a group, I’d still be obsessed with them haha. I went to a concert and I got to go on stage when they sang For The Girl Who Has Everything. It was pretty much the best day ever.
Love the video. Taylor Swift is my favorite. :D

4 Kristen September 20, 2012 at 1:15 pm

whaaaaaaaaaaat onstage?!?! that is seriously awesome!

5 Lisa September 20, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’ve been a BSB fan since 1997 and I have no shame. I’d go on the cruise if I could find someone willing to go with me.

6 Bridget September 20, 2012 at 11:08 am

If I could get time off of work (live and work in Japan), I would totally go with you! Keep pushing people! :-D I really hope that you will go!

7 Kaitlyn - @runkaitrun September 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

I LOVE Hanson – big fan of penny & me :)

also, thanks for reminding about oatmeal squares – love those things!

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 20, 2012 at 10:23 am

OH EM GEE! I love you for posting this! I LOVED Hanson and swore that someday I was going to marry Zach (we see how well I did with that but it start my obsession with drummers – ha!). But I absolutely despise that new Taylor Swift song, but it sounds SO much better with the boys singing it than Taylor. Oh man, thank you for taking me back to my childhood – made my day. :)

9 Brit September 20, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I was going to marry Zach too! Missed that boat, apparently :)

10 Courtney September 20, 2012 at 10:26 am

Smiley face in your yogurt bowl!

11 Kristin September 20, 2012 at 10:31 am

Hanson. For Life. Literally. Still go see them every time they are in NJ/NYC area. I recommend downloading all of their albums off of itunes. If you like music, you will not be disappointed.

12 Maureen @ Organically Mo September 20, 2012 at 10:56 am

Ummm….Hanson rocks! And they just keep getting better looking with age…no more awkward teens! lol

I was in high school when all the boy bands came out. so I love them all! :)

13 Lindsey d. September 20, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hanson does rock… I was a BSB girl over NSync, although I have to admit that the only ones I’d still listen to (except as part of workout mixes) would be Hanson. I loved loved loved their later rocky stuff. I need to pull that cd out again, pronto.

14 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

Mmmbop is my go to song when I’m hyped up and can’t think of anything else to sing! Hanson was one of my first CDs! Or cassettes… Lol I can’t remember which form I had it in

15 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

I was a little younger (not much!!) but still able to 100% appreciate the boy band era (thank goodness!!). I think that my life would have been incomplete without them!! All the arguments over which band was best … then the arguments about which member of each band was best. And mixing and matching to make a super group. Ahh — the good ol’ days of Y2K!! :)

16 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners September 20, 2012 at 11:32 am

I am a little older than you ladies so the nsync, backstreet, etc was lost on me… but it was easy to identify how you all felt cause I was HUGE into New Kids on the Block. Donny was my favorite, and I had tons of posters in my room and locker and had a giant pin (like the size of a small dinner plate!) hanging proudly off my denim purse, lol.

17 Jennifer L September 20, 2012 at 11:33 am

Oh, man, I was a huuuuuuuuuuuuge Hanson fan. When I seen them in concert Taylor squirted me with a squirt gun and I almost fainted. I was pretty into Nsync and the Backstreet Boys too… oh and 5ive!

18 Courtney September 20, 2012 at 11:40 am

LOVE THIS!! I wish boy bands were popular again :)

19 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife September 20, 2012 at 11:46 am

Gee, thanks a lot. Now listening to Mmm Bop! I think I liked NSync a bit better, but I went to a Backstreet Boys concert in high school. Both have their merits. And of course I have to love 98 degrees, since they are from Cincinnati. “Your hairbrush is mine . . . ” (actually it’s “Your hand brushes mine”, but we used to sing the wrong words to “I Do”.)

20 Elisabeth September 20, 2012 at 11:52 am

I was in elementary school when New Kids on the Block was huge – I loved them! I didn’t love Hanson or Mmmbop when they were ‘big’ (I was in high school & sort of ‘beyond’ boy bands ;) ), but I actually started really liking them a few years ago – when they put out albums like The Walk and Shout it Out. I do think they’re actually quite talented :)

21 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife September 20, 2012 at 11:58 am

Have you watched the mmmBop video recently? The oldest brother is such a dork and so out of place in it.

22 Sarah September 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I cried when I found out Brian from the backstreet boys was married. I was so certain we would get married when I was ten years old. :P

23 Karen September 20, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Ah looovvveeee mmmbop! But I was a big nsync fan (first concert! Ha) I still enjoy a good boy band jam every now and then and also still kinda dream of marrying Justin Timberlake ;)

24 BroccoliHut September 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I am of the personal opinion that our generation had the BEST teen pop scene. I was all about Nsync–I once filled out about 100 entries to win VIP tickets to one of their concerts…and won! I was so excited, but then typical Alabama weather got in the way (aka a tornado), so they cancelled the concert. I was SO crushed.
Even now when I hear an Nsync song comes on the radio, I find myself singing it word for word. It’s kinda weird what your brain remembers, right?

25 Ari @ Ari's Menu September 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm

MMMBop is on basically every playlist on my ipod, but I can still only sing the chorus–what they heck do they say the rest of the time?!?!?! I don’t even care, I looooove it :)

26 Megan @ My Path in Motherhood September 20, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I rarely comment, but I had to on this one. BSB is where it’s at! I was in elementary school when they were big and I loooooved Nick! I was more into BSB than N*Sync, but yeah. Also, I play the song, and sang along and my 3.5 month daughter starting cracking up! Guess she thinks Hanson is funny? Oh, also, around the same time as BSB was my obsession with Leonardo Di Caprio, thank you Titanic. The big posters in my room at the time were Leo, BSB and the SPICE GIRLS!

27 Annette @FitnessPerks September 20, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Haha. Yep, I totally loved NSync and Backstreet boys & such. Love it.

28 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I was in middle school when NKOTB came onto the scene and I have no shame either. ;) I love your little circuit….I need to incorporate something like that after my runs. I’ll give this one a try.

29 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 20, 2012 at 12:51 pm

They look a lot better with short hair… just sayin! I loved NSYNC! those were my men! yum!

30 anna September 20, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I was all about *NSYNC back in the day! Their first CD came out in 1997 I was 14 years old. I am now 29 and I STILL get giddy when I see an *NSYNC member on TV, I STLL tear up during “God Must Have Spent A Little More Time On You” and I am STILL in love with Justin Timberlake. No shame :)

31 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm

oh gosh, I loooooooved hanson. This is EPIC!

32 Erica September 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I f***ing love Hanson!! In 7th grade, I was 100% convinced their tour bus was going to pull up to my house and I was going to marry Taylor Hanson. And in high school, I was pulling into a parking lot when I heard on the radio that Taylor knocked up his girlfriend. I was so shocked (and offended that it wasn’t me), I accidentally locked my keys in my car and my parents had to come get me.

33 Kristen September 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

HUGE boy band fan right here! I think it was because growing up in Canada, pop music was big when I was in middle and high school. Backstreet boys were the top choice and NSync a close second. Now when I say I was a huge fan, I mean huge…one time it was Brian’s bday (from BSB)…sooo my friend and I baked him a cake. Oh yes cake for a random celebrity…it gets better, then we popped in a BSB video I had, hit pause when it was only him on screen and held a photo shoot of ‘him’ with our cake. I was in middle school aka old enough not to be so lame! FYI the 90s Pop music station on Pandora is awesome because of all the boy band music…starting my day off singing along to BSB? don’t mind if I do :-)

ps. my friend’s roommates bf was a BSB backup dancer…I lost my shit when I found out…I have so many questions to ask him.

34 amyt September 20, 2012 at 1:00 pm

It was New Kids on the Block – I went to their concert back in the day – they came the next year, I had tickets….but was stuck in the hospital with mono!! 1 in how ever many get is as bad as I did…and it happened to me during this time – the horror :-( I had to give my ticket to a friend….I was so sad. She did get me a shirt ….. sigghhhhh it wasn’t the same.

35 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Dream Street was, without a doubt, my favorite boy band of all time. When I moved out of my parents’s house a few months ago I had to go through alllllll my things, including all my CDs. I put most of my CDs on my iTunes when I got my laptop before college, but Dream Street had not made the cut. I put it on before I moved out, though, and whoa. Such a solid life choice. Every time shuffle lands on one of their songs, it makes my day. “It Happens Every Time” came up a few days ago, which prompted me to watch the music video…oh. my. gosh. Cannot handle it. The early 2000s fashion! The awkward dance moves! Jesse McCartney as a 14 year old! It was all too much.

36 Sonia the Mexigarian September 20, 2012 at 1:17 pm

*NSYNC!!! I went to an all girl high school so you knew who followed which group. Lockers decorated to the nth degree :) So funny you posted this cuz I just played NSyncs No Strings Attached album while I was painting in studio the other day and found myself singing to every single song. That and I was a little surprised at some of the lyrics. . . hello Digital Getdown.

that being said, I would still listen to them if they were still singing as a group ;)

I only ever heard the Mmmbop song out of Hanson. were they good?

37 Jessie September 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm

My friend at work is OBSESSED with Hanson and posted that video yesterday – love it! :)

38 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I was such an NSYNC-er back in the day!! Still <3 JT

39 Chelsea Lords September 20, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I love your idea of doing that mini circuit after a run. Great idea! (I am new to your blog and absolutely loving it!)

40 Jackie September 20, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Definitely a huge BSB fan. In fact, my sister (and mom!) and I went to their concert last summer. I was preggers at the time and we thought it was so funny that half of the audience was pregnant too. And no lie, if they come back to Orlando I’ll be there again. :)

41 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 20, 2012 at 5:08 pm

If you’re a nerd, I’m a total loser. I have watched that Taylor Swift video a million times- I love it! I also saw Hansen in concert when they had a little “comeback tour.” At 23 years old, I’m pretty sure I was the oldest person there by a decade!

42 Dee September 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Love them and this video!

43 Marianne September 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Oh my word! I was IN LOVE with Hanson!! (and BSB…and maybe NSync :P)This totally made my day! Thanks for sharing!!!

44 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 20, 2012 at 6:48 pm

And, cue mmmbop in my head for the rest of the evening. :-)

45 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 20, 2012 at 6:52 pm

98 Degrees was my jam back in the day. I saw them in concert 4 times. :/

46 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 20, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Um I LOVE Hanson. One of my favorite stories about my sister involves Hanson because she was obsessed with them. She used to have over 1,000 (seriously) posters hung up in her room. One year (I think she was in 8th grade) she was getting some bad grades and they sent home progress reports from school. She hid them from my parents, my mom found them, and my dad took down all of her posters. Instead he replaced them with photocopies of her progress reports. AWESOME.

47 Nina September 20, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Hanson is still actually pretty popular, ya know! They’ve been making music this whole time. I’m not a huge fan but a couple of my friends are die hard Hanson lovers.

48 mindy @ just a one girl revolution. September 20, 2012 at 11:04 pm

so obsessed with that video!!!
also? backstreet boys, all the way (even now!).

49 Julie @ runninginaskirt.com September 21, 2012 at 7:51 am

For some reason your post is making me want to add MMMbob to my Chicago Marthon playlist… HA! Would that be wrong? I think I just might have to… nice blast from the past.

50 Katie @ A Full Plate September 21, 2012 at 8:54 am

BSB 4ever!!! Lol I remember so many arguments between girlfriends over which boy band was better and which member was “ours”.

51 Sloane @ Life Food and Beer September 21, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Damnit! Now have that crappy song stuck in my head!! :)