Grilled Pumpkin, Peanut Butter, and Apple Sandwich

by Meghann on September 20, 2012

What flavors come to mind when you think of fall?

I think of pumpkin, apple, hearty soups, and lots of spice. There’s a lot of orange, a lot of brown, and a whole lot of rich, comforting flavors with a subtly sweet undertone.

I think my lunchtime sandwich embodies the best of what fall had to offer. You’ve got the pumpkin, you’ve got the subtle sweetness, and you’ve got the comfort. It was stick-to-your bones good.

GrilledPumpPBAppleSand.jpg

(Yes, I had a little fun with photoshop on this one. My friend Diana introduced me to the wonderful world of free fonts and I’m a little obsessed. The above fonts can all be found HERE.)

The Grilled Pumpkin, Peanut Butter, and Apple Sandwich was inspired by the pumpkin and peanut butter toast I made the other day for breakfast. I was going to make the same combo again for lunch, but decided to take it a couple of steps further by turning the combo into a sandwich and adding apple slices.

The results? Delicious. A new fall favorite that leaves me wishing the leaves were changing under a nice cool breeze outside, instead of the thunderstorm currently happening (:-/)

Here’s the breakdown:

Grilled Pumpkin, Peanut Butter, and Apple Sandwich

• 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
  • 1/2 apple (sliced thinly)
  • few raisins
  • 2 slices of whole wheat bread

Alright, I’m going to let you in on a little secret. If you want your grilled sandwich to stay stuck together when it’s done, you want to have a “sticking” component on both sides of the bread (such as cheese, hummus, etc). For today’s sandwich, I slathered pumpkin on one side and peanut butter on the other.

Then I dusted the pumpkin with pumpkin spice and raisins, and layered the apple slices over the peanut butter.

I sandwiched both sides together and placed it in the George Foreman for 4 minutes.

George Foreman = best panini maker ever

Done!

Served with extra apple slices

If you prefer your pumpkin a little sweeter, I would drizzle a little honey over it. Other wise the apples and raisins give it a nice hint of sweetness without overpowering the sandwich.

So. Good.

Who’s ready for fall?

1 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm

oh man, this looks so good! Why have I never thought of using my george forman to make sandwiches?!
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..Pretty Muddy Women’s Mud Run Chicago Recap

2 Kaitlyn - @runkaitrun September 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm

man that sandwich just blew my mind. i literally announced to my office that i found what i wanted to eat for dinner tonight :)
Kaitlyn – @runkaitrun recently posted..Big Foot

3 Annette @FitnessPerks September 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I LOVE paninis!! This sounds good-and I think we’re gonna have this for dinner tonight too. YUMM.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..BodyPUMP AIM 2

4 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 20, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Wow that looks delicious!!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The 24 Hour Run (15 years later)

5 Erica September 20, 2012 at 4:03 pm

What a fantastic sandwich! I’m always in the mood for pumpkin- love that goodness

6 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm

That is a fantastic idea! I love that fall is exploding all over the blog world!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Fall is Here! + WIAW

7 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 20, 2012 at 4:41 pm

This might be a strange question, but do you think I could grill a sandwich in a waffle iron …? haha. Weird concept, I know, but I think that it just might work. Probably not as effectively as Georgie’s Grill, but I love grilled panini sandwiches and don’t want to buy a Georgie just for that … And I already have a belgian waffle maker on hand. Hm. Any advice anyone?
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Thursday Toss-Up

8 Meghann September 25, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Dude, I would totally use the waffle iron. :) In fact, I think I’ve seen that idea pinned on pinterest. ;)

9 Lc September 20, 2012 at 4:50 pm

We used fake flowers so everyon could keep them and they were so much cheaper. We used calalilys and tulips (my fav) our colors were brown and green really hard to find flowers that looked good with that
Lc recently posted..PCS….AGAIN

10 Lc September 20, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Im the weirdo who cant comment on the right blog post. Sorry! The flower one was meant for your flower blog post!

11 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Oh man, here’s the pumpkin again…making my mouth water! How do I like something so much that I literally NEVER eat? ha! Sidenote: Can anyone weigh in on the Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks? Is it worth it? How do you “skinny” it up? Would just one syrup pump do it?
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Do You Get Hangry When You’re Hungry?

12 Meghann September 25, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I “skinny” it up by doing a non-fat misto w/ dark roast instead of a latte (less milk) and only one pump of pumpkin spice :)

13 Irina @ Chocolatea Time September 20, 2012 at 5:23 pm

What an interesting combo! I’ll be trying this tonight or tomorrow for lunch…I opened an entire can of pumpkin and need to use it up ASAP!

14 Monica September 20, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I’m an avid follower and I know you enjoy pumpkin; I suggest a sandwich consisting of pumpkin, feta and spinach (or arugula or radicchio). I know it sounds a little funny but it’s very good!
Monica recently posted..Wish list

15 Katie September 20, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Genius!!!!

16 Meghan September 20, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Wow that totally screams fall .. awesome!
Meghan recently posted..Rocked a PR

17 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife September 20, 2012 at 6:44 pm

oh my goodness gracious! this looks wonderful! I love using my george foreman! best invention ever!
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Work Vending Machines. {Healthy or Not Healthy}

18 Sarah September 20, 2012 at 6:49 pm

i wish i would’ve read this BEFORE i made dinner! :O i knew i wanted a sandwich and i browsed the supermarket for what seemed like forever before i made up my mind. P.S. goat cheese and cherry preserves are a winning combo. ;) I am SO making this for lunch tomorrow! :D
Sarah recently posted..Day 263- I think the only reason I am able to keep track of my…

19 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 20, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Pretty sure the only way you could have a more fall-themed lunch would be if your threw some actual autumn leaves in there. That is a seasonal lunch and a half. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..The “Violent Girl” Problem.

20 Simone September 20, 2012 at 6:54 pm

That sandwich has made my mouth water! i’m queen of random combinations and that one looks good… I haven’t had a sandwich in a long time, gluten allergy, but i’m definitely craving one now!
Simone recently posted..What a RAWsome night!

21 Alissa September 20, 2012 at 6:59 pm

So ready for fall, and that sandwich as all the good fall flavors.

22 Becky @ runfundone September 20, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I’m pretty sure that this just changed my life.
Becky @ runfundone recently posted..I’m a Believer!

23 Melissa September 20, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I’m SO ready for fall. When you’re trying to teach and school starts in the middle of August, all you want to do is be at the beach. If we have to be in school, it needs to be fall!
Melissa recently posted..Meetings Meetings Meetings

24 Lisa September 20, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I bet that would also taste great with a slice of cheddar cheese!

25 Sneakers2sandals September 20, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Love the font choice :)
Sneakers2sandals recently posted..Puppy Philly Turns 2!

26 Sarah K September 21, 2012 at 10:55 am

Oh my goodness that looks and sounds amazing! Can’t wait to open my can of pumpkin puree and start cooking
Sarah K recently posted..Big Bike Trip Part 3

27 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 21, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Looks like a great combo..pumpkin and peanut butter, I think I’ll try it with a banana!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Tastes Like Childhood

28 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Totally ready for Fall as you can see from my bucket list below! That sandwhich looks SUPER delicious….thanks for sharing!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Fall Bucket List

29 Candice September 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

OH GOODNESS. This looks amazing.

30 Jennie September 23, 2012 at 10:29 pm

It is officially fall now! Thanks :)