Bacon and Grapes Brussels Sprouts

by Meghann on September 20, 2012

Hat tip to Lindsay for tonight’s dinner inspiration.

Screen shot 2012-09-20 at 10.00.17 PM.png

Ummmm….. yeah, that sounded flippin’ amazing. I think she had me at brussels sprouts. And bacon.

Luckily, I already had all the ingredients on hand and couldn’t wait to get home and put my own spin on the combo.

Instead of roasting the brussels sprouts and grapes, I decided to go the stovetop route.

Like so…

Bacon and Grapes Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients:

• 4 slices of bacon
  • 1 lb brussels sprouts, quartered
  • 1/2 white onion, chopped
  • 1/2 pound white + red grapes
  • honey
  • red pepper flakes
  • fresh thyme
  • salt and pepper

First, the bacon!

I fried up four pieces until they were nice and crispy, then discarded the bacon grease (leaving just a smidgen to cook with) and set the bacon aside for later.

The brussels sprouts and onion were up next.

I added the brussels sprouts and onion to the remaining bacon grease on high heat and let them cook until the brussels sprouts were soft.

While the brussels were cooking, I halved the grapes and added a drizzle of honey, fresh thyme, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to them (taking a cue from my last experience cooking with grapes – it’s an awesome combo).

The grapes were added to the brussels.

IMG_1390.JPG IMG_1392.JPG

And a couple of minutes later, the bacon joined the party too.

I gave everything a quick toss, seasoned with a little more salt and pepper, and the dish was ready!

I was afraid the grapes and honey would be too sweet in the combo, but they were perfect. I think the bacon brought everything together giving a nice salty, savory edge to the dish.

I served the bacon and grape brussels sprouts with grilled chicken breast and quinoa.

We have zero leftovers. Derek and I polished off every last bite of the quinoa, chicken, and brussels sprouts – it was that good. I think it would make a great side dish to bring for a dinner party or get together. I WILL be making it again. :)

I had a mini bowl of vanilla ice cream with granola for dessert.

GLEE TIME!

Good night!

1 Steph September 20, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Ok, ok, I’m WILLING to give brussel sprouts another shot since this looks so good. But don’t hold your breath… they’ve been on my foodie hate list since 2nd grade! eek! :D

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 20, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Not going to lie — when I first read the title I totally wrinkled my nose. Literally. It almost hurt it was so squished. haha
But the more I read, the more you brought me over to your thinking. Cooking this recipe would certainly be an adventure for me … but I just might give it a shot!

3 Laura September 20, 2012 at 11:03 pm

MMM brussel sprouts are my favorite!

4 Lindsay September 20, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Yay, you made it! Your version looks delicious! Is there any food that can’t be improved with a little bacon? I think not.

5 Annette @FitnessPerks September 21, 2012 at 12:15 am

I LOVE grapes! YUMM!

6 Simone September 21, 2012 at 12:31 am

That sounds fantastic I will definitely give it a try, thanks!

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 21, 2012 at 7:02 am

Haha I’d go for anything including bacon and Brussel sprouts! That’s actual a great way to put a spin on a Brussel sprout side dish for Thanksgiving! I made just roasted Brussel sprouts last year

8 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 21, 2012 at 7:16 am

Wow, that looks amazing! Definitely trying it. I like cooking brussels sprouts over the stove instead of roasting. The other night, I cut them up thin w/ onions and spices and then added it to my spaghetti squash-marinara—tasted great and was sneaky way to get veggies in. :)

9 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 21, 2012 at 7:29 am

That looks amazing! I’m definitely pinning that. Now if I can just trick my husband into eating brussel sprouts…

10 Katie September 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm

That looks amazing and fairly easy! I might add it as a side the next time I grill chicken breasts.

11 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 24, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Yum…what a great recipe idea! I love savory with sweet.

12 Jenn January 22, 2013 at 9:40 pm

This was so delicious I seriously almost ate the whole bowl in one sitting! Love the grapes and bacon together!

13 Meghann January 22, 2013 at 9:55 pm

woo hoo! I’m glad you liked it :)