Bacon and Grapes Brussels Sprouts

by Meghann on September 20, 2012

Hat tip to Lindsay for tonight’s dinner inspiration.

Screen shot 2012-09-20 at 10.00.17 PM.png

Ummmm….. yeah, that sounded flippin’ amazing. I think she had me at brussels sprouts. And bacon.

Luckily, I already had all the ingredients on hand and couldn’t wait to get home and put my own spin on the combo.

Instead of roasting the brussels sprouts and grapes, I decided to go the stovetop route.

Like so…

Bacon and Grapes Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients:

• 4 slices of bacon
  • 1 lb brussels sprouts, quartered
  • 1/2 white onion, chopped
  • 1/2 pound white + red grapes
  • honey
  • red pepper flakes
  • fresh thyme
  • salt and pepper

First, the bacon!

I fried up four pieces until they were nice and crispy, then discarded the bacon grease (leaving just a smidgen to cook with) and set the bacon aside for later.

The brussels sprouts and onion were up next.

I added the brussels sprouts and onion to the remaining bacon grease on high heat and let them cook until the brussels sprouts were soft.

While the brussels were cooking, I halved the grapes and added a drizzle of honey, fresh thyme, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to them (taking a cue from my last experience cooking with grapes – it’s an awesome combo).

The grapes were added to the brussels.

IMG_1390.JPG IMG_1392.JPG

And a couple of minutes later, the bacon joined the party too.

I gave everything a quick toss, seasoned with a little more salt and pepper, and the dish was ready!

I was afraid the grapes and honey would be too sweet in the combo, but they were perfect. I think the bacon brought everything together giving a nice salty, savory edge to the dish.

I served the bacon and grape brussels sprouts with grilled chicken breast and quinoa.

We have zero leftovers. Derek and I polished off every last bite of the quinoa, chicken, and brussels sprouts – it was that good. I think it would make a great side dish to bring for a dinner party or get together. I WILL be making it again. :)

I had a mini bowl of vanilla ice cream with granola for dessert.

GLEE TIME!

Good night!

1 Steph September 20, 2012 at 10:37 pm

Ok, ok, I’m WILLING to give brussel sprouts another shot since this looks so good. But don’t hold your breath… they’ve been on my foodie hate list since 2nd grade! eek! :D
Steph recently posted..Modelfit Week 9 & Peak Wellness

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 20, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Not going to lie — when I first read the title I totally wrinkled my nose. Literally. It almost hurt it was so squished. haha
But the more I read, the more you brought me over to your thinking. Cooking this recipe would certainly be an adventure for me … but I just might give it a shot!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..A Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing (Faux-Oatmeal)

3 Laura September 20, 2012 at 11:03 pm

MMM brussel sprouts are my favorite!
Laura recently posted..I Said No

4 Lindsay September 20, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Yay, you made it! Your version looks delicious! Is there any food that can’t be improved with a little bacon? I think not.
Lindsay recently posted..Mega Buc-ee’s

5 Annette @FitnessPerks September 21, 2012 at 12:15 am

I LOVE grapes! YUMM!
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..BodyPUMP AIM 2

6 Simone September 21, 2012 at 12:31 am

That sounds fantastic I will definitely give it a try, thanks!
Simone recently posted..What a RAWsome night!

7 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 21, 2012 at 7:02 am

Haha I’d go for anything including bacon and Brussel sprouts! That’s actual a great way to put a spin on a Brussel sprout side dish for Thanksgiving! I made just roasted Brussel sprouts last year
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

8 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 21, 2012 at 7:16 am

Wow, that looks amazing! Definitely trying it. I like cooking brussels sprouts over the stove instead of roasting. The other night, I cut them up thin w/ onions and spices and then added it to my spaghetti squash-marinara—tasted great and was sneaky way to get veggies in. :)
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Do You Get Hangry When You’re Hungry?

9 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 21, 2012 at 7:29 am

That looks amazing! I’m definitely pinning that. Now if I can just trick my husband into eating brussel sprouts…
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..The Bucket List

10 Katie September 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm

That looks amazing and fairly easy! I might add it as a side the next time I grill chicken breasts.
Katie recently posted..Ready or Not!

11 kim@hungryhealthygirl September 24, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Yum…what a great recipe idea! I love savory with sweet.
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..A Marvelous Monday Giveaway

12 Jenn January 22, 2013 at 9:40 pm

This was so delicious I seriously almost ate the whole bowl in one sitting! Love the grapes and bacon together!
Jenn recently posted..Cigna Foundation Sponsoring Six Student Run Philly Style Athletes for WDW Marathon Weekend

13 Meghann January 22, 2013 at 9:55 pm

woo hoo! I’m glad you liked it :)