Revolution

by Meghann on September 17, 2012

What would the world be like if all the power suddenly disappeared? All the lights stopped working, cars stopped running, and even batteries ceased to hold a charge? It’s a concept that’s so far fetch, that I’ve really never given it any thought, but it’s definitely an interesting one. Especially considering that now a days all our money and communication is in electronic form. If there was no power, then all of our money would essentially disappear or become worthless and there would be no way to feed or support our entire population. Chaos would erupt and the world as we know it would cease to exist.

revolution-nbc-550x310.jpeg

That’s the plot line for the new show Revolution on NBC. I’d seen a few commercials for the show, but it was my dad (who is probably a bigger tv junkie than I am) who told me I should check out the full length preview episode on demand. I watched it this evening and was impressed with how easily the show pulled me in. It’s definitely an original plot line, with a backbone that’s just far enough out there to really make you think.

wrigley_revolution.jpeg

I enjoyed watching how the characters managed to adapt to life with no power (living a life meant for someone in the 1800s, surrounded by modern conveniences that collect dust) and how instead of fighting over money or gold, they’re after the secret behind what turned all the power out and how to turn it back on. There’s a strong family bond that is used as motivation for the storyline and a slight twist at the end of the episode that leaves you scratching your head. They’ve hooked me in with one episode and I’m looking forward to many more (crossing my fingers the show sticks around!).

Of course now I can’t stop thinking about what would really happen if all the power went out. Scary, scary thought. Makes you appreciate things like refrigerators, ovens, and good meals.

I was on my own for dinner tonight. I wasn’t sure what I wanted, so I just started pulling things out of the fridge and ended up with a random plate of food.

The tofu was a pre-seasoned italian flavor that I heated quickly in a pan and served on top of tortilla. The rest of the plate was filled with fresh tomato slices, carrot sticks, and sauteed kale.

Earlier I made a mini snack plate with pretzels (I had a couple before the photo), hummus, and cheese.

A bowl of ice cream with fresh raspberries for dessert.

Good eats.

Time to sleep.

Good night!

1 allison @ thesundayflog September 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm

i know its not totally the same, but when i studied abroad in south africa, we had scheduled black outs multiple times a week to conserve power. they dont have enough generators to power the country at all times, so we would literally have times where we knew it was going out. anything requiring electricity had to be planned in advance. we spent a lot of time with head lamps on, sitting around playing cards haha. cool concept for a show!

2 Meghann September 18, 2012 at 10:23 am

I think one of the most interesting pieces of the show is that batteries and car engines don’t even work, so there wouldn’t even be headlamps! And that’s crazy about the scheduled blackouts in South Africa. How long would they last?

3 allison @ thesundayflog September 18, 2012 at 10:28 am

thats insane – i didnt think about that! the blackouts were generally 2 hours long (tuesday evenings and friday afternoons), but often it would be out for 8 hours or more!

4 Sana September 17, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I guess that is why people freaked the eff out during Y2K. For some reason my family paid no attention.

5 jess September 17, 2012 at 11:41 pm

It is a crazy concept, but its a reality for many parts of.the world today!

6 Meghann September 18, 2012 at 10:25 am

Yes, totally agree. But even those parts of the world (occasionally) have the benefit of some sort of power (whether it be battery or a generator or supplies that were delivered via a car/plane/truck/ etc)

7 Ellen September 18, 2012 at 12:09 am

The Amish would be way ahead of the game.

8 Dione September 18, 2012 at 12:28 am

I liked the first episode a lot but I am trying not to get my hopes up that it will stick around. I love scifi and fantasy shows with interesting premises but few seem to last on any major network (Flashforward, The Event, Terra Nova are a few recent ones that come to mind) and there have been others in the past I hardly remember now because they were no more than a blip before they had a chance to get an audience. I think it may last 13 episodes but who knows maybe I will be wrong, since my current favorites Grimm and Once Upon a Time actually survived to season 2:)

9 Meghann September 18, 2012 at 10:27 am

I know what you mean. Remember Firefly? That was an awesome show too.

10 Army Amy* September 18, 2012 at 5:09 am

I’ve never even heard of this show, but it sounds interesting. Have you read Uglies? (It’s young adult lit, but it’s so good!) It’s set in the future, and in their past (our present day) a bacteria infected all the oil and caused everything powered by it to stop working. That’s not really what the story is about (just a little piece of the background), but it’s a great read.*

11 Jess September 18, 2012 at 6:34 am

random meals like that are the best!!! That TV show looks awesome. I need to check it out!

12 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air September 18, 2012 at 7:29 am

That show sounds do reminiscent of LOST, which I loved – might have to check it out!!

13 Amanda September 18, 2012 at 7:54 am

The people behind Lost made this show and I’m really excited for it! I got on the Lost bandwagon after it was over so I didn’t have to wait for the cliffhangers, but I think I may start this one now :P

14 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 18, 2012 at 8:04 am

The potential loss of all electricity makes me wonder if the future really will see the Earth presenting a population that we consider as dystopian right now … I think that it’s definitely possible. As much as I love my appliances, I would give them up for “brown outs” if it meant not losing electricity forever.
I might just check out this show … if it’s available online in Canada — it sounds like it’s right up my alley!
Love the tofu-in-tortilla idea!! :)

15 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run September 18, 2012 at 8:48 am

That show sounds like a slightly different spin on Jericho. Did you watch that one? I’m trying really hard not to watch new shows this year, but that one sounds pretty good.

16 Meghann September 18, 2012 at 10:28 am

I have not, but maybe I should check it out. I wonder if it’s on Instant PLay.

17 Paula @ Eat: Watch: Run September 18, 2012 at 10:41 am

There are only 2 seasons, so be prepared to be sad when it ends. (But that’s where I watched it…instantly on Netflix.)

18 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 18, 2012 at 9:14 am

I heard about that show, it sounds interesting but not really my type of show. Haha I’m more into reality shows right now, mostly Food Network… And then of course Glee.

19 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats September 18, 2012 at 9:34 am

I’ve been seeing the commercials and thinking the same thing. I will def check out the on demand episode. But nothing has me more excited for fall tv than Modern Family. Seriously the best thing on television.

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 18, 2012 at 9:43 am

I’ve been thinking about adding that show to my lineup, but I’m hesitant. At the end of last season, I swore I wasn’t going to add any freshman shows because the networks keeping canceling the ones I like. Don’t even get me started on how heartbroken I am over Pan Am.

21 Laura @ May Your Bobbin Always Be Full September 18, 2012 at 10:35 am

This show is eerily similar to the book series by SM Stirling, starting with “Dies the Fire.” It’s a long series (and a new one comes out every year) and is very much the exact same story: the lights go out, cars and batteries stop working, all guns and explosives stop working. I LOVE the series, so I didn’t want to watch this new show lest it disappoint. Maybe I should give it a shot though.

22 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 18, 2012 at 11:16 am

I saw approximately 23420398 previews for Revolution during the Olympics and really considered watching it last night…until I saw it didn’t start until 9. Too late for a show to start for me! Haha. Maybe I’ll catch it online sometime.

Also, DYING at the Wrigley Field picture. Does that legitimately 2012 World Series Champions? Not. A. Chance. Hahaha.

23 Meghann September 18, 2012 at 11:18 am

Ha! I didn’t even see that. I guess the special effects guy is a fan. :)

24 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 18, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Sitting on my laptop right now, yes, I am definitely appreciative of technology. :-)

25 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 18, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I love your snack plates and mishmash meals—Proof that healthy eating doesn’t have to be hard or labor-intensive!

26 Kelly September 18, 2012 at 1:50 pm

If you really want to be terrified, read the book “One Second After”. It’s about a terrorist attack where an EMP is set off. Very powerful book. It made me put together a full emergency kit for my car including food, water, dried milk, tennis shoes, etc.

27 Bella Michelle September 18, 2012 at 4:29 pm

My oldest son and I watched the premier last night and he pronounced it possibly the best show he has ever seen (that is the voice of an almost 16 year old male!) This afternoon my younger son watched it and is totally in love. I am curious as to where it will go and although I don’t really like Sci-Fi (not sure this really falls into this category) I am drawn to it because of getting caught up in the series Jericho several years ago (again with people having to cope with the loss of all the electronic support we are used to.)

28 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 18, 2012 at 5:48 pm

oh man it would be so crazy to lose all power. I watched the show last night and liked it pretty well. Hoping it stays around!