more ยป" />

Instant Hot Apple Cider

by Meghann on September 17, 2012

Keurig Update: Derek and I are still loving our Keurig. We tend to use the reusable k-cup during the week (with our favorite dark roast coffee grounds), but we also have a stash of fun coffee flavors (Green Mountain Hazelnut, Wild Blueberry, and Pumpkin Spice) for when we’re feeling lazy or in need of a treat. I think it’s a great balanced system that’s working for us.

Last week the folks at Keurig sent us an adorable retro lunchbox filled with their specialty Hot Apple Cider and Lemonade k-cups to try.

20120913_160544.jpg 20120913_160601.jpg

I tried the Hot Apple Cider first.

20120913_160822.jpg

Not bad. It was sweet, slightly tart, and leaves you feeling all warm inside after every sip. My only problem was it was 90 degrees outside when I was drinking it. Apple cider is a fall drink and, unfortunately, it doesn’t feel like fall yet in Florida. I bet this drink will be 10x better once it cools down outside.

20120913_161242.jpg

I’d love to tall you how the lemonade was (it’s a brew-over-ice k-cup), but they were all gone by the time I returned from my trip last night.

IMG_1144.jpg IMG_1150.jpg

Eh. What can you do? At least I can take it as a good sign that Derek enjoyed them. :)

Have you tried the Hot Apple Cider or Lemonade k-cups? What did you think?

Oh, and speaking of packages, look what else came in the mail today!

6c9444de00e811e2904b22000a1cdc2a_7.jpeg

Technically Emily had asked me to be her bridesmaid the day after she got engaged, but it was still fun to receive the little package in the mail. Makes me wish I’d done something similar when I asked my own bridesmaids. :)

Food

I’m really starting to wonder where my appetite has disappeared to, I just haven’t been very hungry lately. I only ate about 3/4 of my breakfast this morning and 1/2 of my sandwich last night. I saved the other 1/2 for lunch today and paired it with a peach, but didn’t even eat that until close to 2:00.

What looks like a small plate of food was actually a very filling lunch. So strange.

1 Army Amy* September 17, 2012 at 3:21 pm

It’s very chilly here, so hot apple cider sounds so appealing! (Well, hot everything sounds appealing, really!)*

2 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 17, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I’ve thought about getting the boyfriend a Keurig, because he drinks coffee and I don’t so that would save us wasting an entire pot. With lemonade and cider cups I could get some use out of them too :-)

3 Michael Anderson September 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm

It is apple season up here in the Finger Lakes region of New York, so our house is filled with the constant smell of warm baked apple yummies!

4 megan September 17, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I’m sorry to hear your appetite has been lacking – so frustrating! It happens to me sometimes too and I wish I could pinpoint the cause. I feel like I should have a big appetite considering my regular workout routine. Many times I just force myself to eat because I know I need the energy. Hope you figure it out soon!

5 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Hahaha those lemonade ones must have been good! I haven’t tried the cider k-cups but they sound good, I love apple cider!

6 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed September 17, 2012 at 3:55 pm

90F sounds like my personal idea of hell right now. Good luck with that. Can I send you a breeze from NY? Not sure how I’ll accomplish that, but I could try.

7 Dana September 17, 2012 at 4:06 pm

The hot apple cider is good, but the one that really tastes like fall to me is the Chai Latte. Higher in sugar and fat, but so delicious – especially from a machine!

8 Meghann September 18, 2012 at 10:11 am

I haven’t tried that one, but now I want to.

9 Becka @ simplybecka September 17, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Thanks for sharing the Keurig review, I keep debating if I should get one for myself, I am the only hot beverage drinker in the house. One cup at a time works for me. Hot apple cider sounds yummy. Have a great day. ^_^

10 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife September 17, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I’m not a big hot apple cider fan. I tried the k-cup once and just didn’t like it but I don’t usually like teas/ciders so thats probably why! Love your gift! I made something along those lines for my bridesmaids too! (:

11 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 17, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I love the naturals line of kcups, but it HAS to be cold outside. I have a reusable kcup that i haven’t tried yet. Is it messy to fill up and clean?

12 Meghann September 18, 2012 at 10:16 am

Not really. I mean it can be messy, but I just empty it over the trashcan, give it a good rinse in the sink, and it’s good to go.

13 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 17, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I LOVE my Keurig!!! Why is it that coffee tastes so much better when it is made from one?! I have seen the apple cider but not tried it however, the lemonade is totally new to me. I bet it is really good though and a drink my kids would love!!

I love the bridesmaid gift, too. Very thoughtful of your friend!! Many times, there is so much required of bridesmaids and in the chaos of wedding planning, they don’t always get the thanks they deserve.

14 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 17, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Ohmygoodness — I can’t believe I forgot about apple cider!! You’d think that I’ve never lived through a fall before! haha. Seriously though, huge fan and can’t wait until it gets all chilly and I need some cider to warm me up after a brisk morning run! :)

15 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 17, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Apple Cider K-Cups are awesome. We started using them last fall and Im a fan. Ive never done one of the brew over ice options though. Im curious about those. Also, this might sound dumb but do K-Cups contain calories? I know most coffees dont until you start adding the flavors and what-not but I had a “chocolate glazed doughnut” coffee K-Cup and it tasted REALLY sweet to me. I need to look into that.

16 Meghann September 18, 2012 at 10:20 am

Not all of them, but some too. Usually if the k-cups are sweetened (like the hot apple cider) than they have calories (80 for the cider). I would suggest googling the k-cup if you’re ever unsure.

17 Heather September 17, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I’ve never had the lemonade but have had (and still have) the cider. They are really good if you add red hots to it and let them melt, yummy!

18 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm

What a cute idea for the bridesmaids!

I don’t have a Keurig but I love the idea of the hot apple cider and lemonade Kcups!

19 BroccoliHut September 17, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Instant cider?! My desire for a Keurig suddenly multiplied exponentially…

20 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 17, 2012 at 7:53 pm

oooh I want a Keurig just for that now!!

21 Elisabeth September 17, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I definitely would like to try the lemonade, but I gotta say…I hated the cider! ;)

22 Leanne @ healthful pursuit September 17, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I’ve been having the same hunger problem, too! I’m full after breakfast until about 3pm, then fine until bed. It’s so strange and completely unlike me. I love to eat, so it’s hard not to just snack even though I’m not hungry. Generally this lack of appetite comes on when I’m stressed. A couple of weeks later, and I’m back to normal!

23 Sarah September 18, 2012 at 12:34 am

Im about to ask my bridesmaids too so If you dont mind my nosy ness- what kind of stuff did she include in the gift basket?!

24 Meghann September 18, 2012 at 10:19 am

It wasn’t a basket – just a large yellow envelope that had the shirt and a card in it. The card was probably the best part because she put a lot of thought into what she wrote. :)

25 Julie @ runninginaskirt.com September 18, 2012 at 7:43 am

I love our Keurig! Have you tried Chocolate Raspberry Truffle flavor? It’s awesome.

26 Meghann September 18, 2012 at 10:21 am

I have not, but I’m guessing I should. ;)

27 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 18, 2012 at 2:50 pm

You just reminded me how much I want to try my roommates dark hot chocolate k-cups….that’ll be happening tonight, for sure haha.

28 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 18, 2012 at 5:01 pm

It’s great that you tune into your hunger levels. It took me FOREVER to learn how to not eat just because the clock said it was “time.”