Chicago Runner

by Meghann on September 16, 2012

Good morning, Chicago!

20120916_091034.jpg

Man, I could not wait to run here! Chicago has an amazing running path along Lake Michigan that I’ve had the pleasure of running (and falling in love with) in the past. When I discovered I was coming to Chicago, that running path – and my planned 10 mile run – was one of the first things that popped in my mind. I’ve been itching all weekend to lace up my running shoes and just run.

I was planning to set my alarm super early to knock out all 10 miles with the sunrise, but on the walk back to the hotel in the cool air last night, I realized I didn’t have to. There was no danger of temps rising above 80 degrees before 7:00am, so there was no need to fit my run in before then. Sweet. Instead I set my alarm for 7:00 and enjoyed an extra of hour of sleep.

I had a granola bar before my run and hit the road. However, I didn’t get very far. 1/2 a mile in I ran into the lovely Gina, who was manning a water stop for the CARA 20 mile run with her Lululemon girls.

20120916_073558.jpg

Gina and I go way back, but even though we’ve run a few of the same races together, this was our first time meeting in person. It was just a quick “Hello!” but so fun to meet her! Gina is my running idol. She eats, lives, and breathes running and her passion for the sport is so inspiring. If you don’t follow her yet, I highly suggest checking her blog out.

*side note* love her neon yellow Lulu shorts! I suddenly want a pair of my own. ;)

20120916_075715.jpg

The rest of my run was fairly quiet and relatively easy (it always amazes me how easier it is to run in climates that aren’t 95% humidity!). I just sort of let my legs do their thing and they carried me at a lovely 9:00 min/mi pace. This run was leaps and bounds better than my 8 miles a couple of weeks ago, which just goes to show you that no two runs are ever the same.

20120916_082250.jpg

Once agan, the Lake Michigan path did not fail to impress me. There was a ton of shade and plenty of water stops along the way. Whenever I felt thirsty, I swear one would just magically appear.

20120916_075435.jpg

So happy I was able to fit my long run in while in Chicago. Running while traveling is the best!

20120916_082806.jpg

After my run I stopped at Jamba Juice and grabbed a Caribbean Passion smoothie to hold me over until brunch.

20120916_092950.jpg 20120916_092941.jpg

Yum!

Now I’m off to explore the city with Adena.

Have a great Sunday!

1 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna September 16, 2012 at 12:49 pm

sounds like such a great run!! reading your posts is making me want to go back and visit chicago!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..One Week.

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm

So fun! My long run today was 4 miles and I was definitely delaying my run so I was glad the temps didn’t pick up until the END of my run. Running here (chicago) in the summer is definitely more challenging but I’m loving falls cooler weather and less humidity!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Plank A Day

3 Amy B September 16, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I am so jealous! I love visiting Chicago! And Jamba Juice is perfect after a long run!

4 Kayla September 16, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I have always wanted to run along that waterfront path in Chicago. I need to find an excuse to go there so that I can do it!
Kayla recently posted..Back Online

5 Courtney September 16, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I love the lakefront path! Have lots of fun exploring :)
Courtney recently posted..Etsy Obsession

6 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 16, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I’m surprised your run was quiet! You must have missed the runners in the 20 miler, I was running it! Haha I felt like I ran all the way to Indiana!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Hanging With the Moll-ster

7 Meghann September 17, 2012 at 9:31 am

I did see the 20 miler group! I saw them the second half of my run, but still thought everyone was quiet and in “the zone” Plus, they were going to opposite direction, so I didn’t have any issues with overcrowding on my side of the path. :) Congrats on the 20 miles!

8 Kari September 16, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Looks gorgeous! Running really changes the way you see a city. I really liked what you said about the run being one of the first things you thought of – shows it’s in your heart!
Kari recently posted..Applying to Residency: September 15

9 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 16, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I love cities that cater to healthy active living — they’re making lives better!
Sounds like you’re living it up in Chicago! And Chicago sounds like an amazing place to visit!! I’d really like to go sometime! :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..If you told me …

10 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 16, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Glad you got the chance to run along the lake! I seriously admire you and all your fellow Floridians who put up with weather like we had this summer all the time. I can’t imagine always running in that kind of heat and humidity!
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Firefly 5K Recap

11 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 16, 2012 at 7:46 pm

love the lakefront path! i live about 25 minutes from the city and it’s such a treat when i get to run down there. hope you had a great day exploring!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..spillin’ the beans.

12 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 16, 2012 at 9:14 pm

LOVE the trail along the lake – its the best!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

13 Gina September 16, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Um HI you are the best! Loved our hugs today and getting to see you. Hope you enjoyed my city and I am already looking forward to the next time our paths cross! xoxo
Gina recently posted..13.1 Miles: Chicago Half Marathon 2012