Afternoon with Adena

by Meghann on September 16, 2012

Look who I found in Chicago!

My brother’s girlfriend, Adena, started her second-year residency in the windy city over the summer (she’s doing pediatric dermatology and finished her first year as a pediatric resident in San Francisco in June and will be completing her remaining three years of residency as a dermatology resident in Chicago – she’s one smart cookie). I’ve been dying to visit her since she moved here (I <3 Chicago) and was so excited to finally have the chance.

She has a GORGEOUS apartment with a killer view of the city.

Alright, this isn’t the actual view from her apartment, but it is the view from her apartment’s rooftop. I’ve seen the view via Facetime and photos, but nothing beats seeing it in person.

Love!

I joined Adena and her friend for brunch in the Southport Corridor.

Loved this neighborhood. Very family-friendly with fun shops, adorable houses, and cute cafes that lined the street. We put our name down at Southport Grocery and Cafe and spent the 30 minute wait window shopping at the Lululemon and Anthropologie next door.

Southport Grocery and Cafe is a charming cafe that serves modern comfort food, tempting baked goods, and gourmet coffee in their cafe, as well as specialty items (like volcano salt and toffee) in their grocery nook. The inside of the restaurant has an open, modern feel that really reflects their unique and creative menu.

We actually lucked out with a table outside and enjoyed the fabulous early fall weather during our meal. While my dining partners opted for creative salads, I was craving eggs. I ordered the chorizo, spinach, and goat cheese omelet, which came with a side of potatoes mash (their wording, not mine).

I thought the omelet was delicious. The chorizo and goat cheese made for a great salty combination and the potatoes were chunky, chewy, and not as heavy as traditional mashed potatoes. I’m actually not a huge fan of traditional mashed potatoes (they’re either too heavy or like potato soup), I prefer the chunkier, heartier variation that represented the “potato mash.”

The restaurant is famous for their bread pudding pancakes (check out the recipe on their website – Adena made it for Christmas last year and said it was a must try!), so we split an order for dessert.

Wow. This was the perfect sweet ending for the meal. I’m not sure I could have ate a full serving of these, but one was more than enough to cure my pancake craving. Yum.

After brunch, we did some exploring, then I had to say good-bye to Adena and the city of Chicago. sniff. sniff.

I’m actually blogging from the air right now and am about to dig into this sandwich I picked up from the airport.

Options were limited and I liked that I could just trow this in my bag. Sometimes simple is the way to go. :)

Hopefully, by the time you read this I’ll be safe and sound in Tampa.

Good night!

1 Sana September 17, 2012 at 12:00 am

That omelet sounds amazing, I was grossed out by the smell of eggs for about 20 years of my life and now I am OBSESSED!
Sana recently posted..Time to Go Run

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 17, 2012 at 6:01 am

I can imagine that roof top getting pretty windy in the windy city — but the view is fabulous!!
And for such an … unappealing? … looking lunch plate, it sounded good. Love it when “ugly” food tastes amazing, it’s the most perfect surprise!!
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..K.I.S.S.ing Sunday Goodbye!

3 Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 17, 2012 at 6:24 am

I love Chicago@ I’ve only been once.. but it is for sure one of y favorite cities and I can’t wait to get back there agin!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Wedding: Bride & Groom Pictures

4 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 17, 2012 at 7:20 am

Omg I know what building she lives in based on those photos! Aaand yes that makes me feel a little stalkerish. Glad you had fun in Chicago!
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Hanging With the Moll-ster

5 Lynda September 17, 2012 at 8:54 am

I had some bread pudding this weekend too :) Those pancakes look delicious though!! Checking out the recipe right now.
Lynda recently posted..Growing Pains, Crab Cakes, and Comedy

6 Anne Weber-Falk September 17, 2012 at 9:42 am

Chicago is a fabulous city. The winters are not so fun but the rest of the year is great. I love that I can have the city with all that makes it great and then a quick hour out of town and I am in the country.

Your brother is in L.A. and Adena is in Chi. Just wondering, where do they want to be when residency work is over?

7 Meghann September 17, 2012 at 9:50 am

Your guess is as good as mine. I’m not even sure they know yet – I think everything is just one day at a time.

8 Karen September 17, 2012 at 9:56 am

I have been wanting to go to Chicago for a while and your posts are making me want to go even more! Also, those bread pudding pancakes have me drooling.
Karen recently posted..Tim, the tool man, Taylor!

9 Elise September 17, 2012 at 9:58 am

Southport Grocery is literally 2.5 blocks from my front door. Great choice! I was actually going to recommend it on your first Chicago post, but it’s a little off the beaten path of tourist stuff / far from hotels and the loop. I love my neighborhood, though! We’ve had so many new stores open in the past few months – that Lululemon is only a few months old, and we also have an Athleta right down the street. Hope you had a great Chicago visit!

10 Kelly September 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm

We must live close to each other. I saw that post and thought oh that looks a lot like the Anthropologie on Southport. The touristy stuff is fun, of course, when people are visiting from out of town but I feel like what really makes our city unique is all the little neighborhoods and how different they are.
Kelly recently posted..A Midwestern Meets Mediterranean Dinner Party

11 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 17, 2012 at 9:59 am

As someone who loves pancakes and just recently discovered bread pudding, I’m in complete awe. That place is definitely going on the list for my Chicago trip!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Gone Girl

12 kathleen @ the daily crumb September 17, 2012 at 10:18 am

i LOVE southport grocery! going there tomorrow actually :) good choice on the pancakes – they are to die for!
kathleen @ the daily crumb recently posted..spillin’ the beans.

13 Janine September 17, 2012 at 10:22 am

So fun to see you exploring Chicago! I love Southport Grocery and those pancakes are so yummy!

14 Jessica September 17, 2012 at 10:23 am

Nice, I just love Chicago :) Very pretty city.
Jessica recently posted..Recent Work: Onshore Outsourcing

15 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 17, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Oh I love Chicao and haven’t been in forever. Those pancakes look like reason enough to go again!
Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut recently posted..Farmer’s Market Finds + Spaghetti Squash Recipe

16 Katie @ Livehalffull September 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm

I love the Southport Grocery! It’s my favorite brunch place in Chicago. They used to have Cupcake Pancakes instead of the Bread Pudding ones…they were SO GOOD!
Katie @ Livehalffull recently posted..Monday Motivation

17 Meghann September 17, 2012 at 2:32 pm

They still have cupcake pancakes! :)

18 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 17, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I’m not a huge chicago fan, but its fun to visit every now and again. I love Giordano’s! Seriously best.pizza.ever.
Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer recently posted..BodyMedia Fit Review

19 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 17, 2012 at 3:26 pm

So excited that I get to go to Chicago in November! It looks like an awesome city to visit.
Those pancakes look amazing!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..ED Talk: The Last Fear Meal.

20 Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails September 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I love Chicago! That’s actually where I did my first half marathon and of course I celebrated with Lou Malnati’s (super deep dish) pizza afterwards. Those pancakes look great, can’t wait to try them!
Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails recently posted..Weekend Recap

21 Claire September 18, 2012 at 2:49 pm

So fun to see you hanging out in my neighborhood! Southport Grocery is a favorite of mine and anytime I’m up early enough to avoid the line, I stop in. The bread pudding pancake mix is my go to hostess gift for a brunch or overnight stay at someone’s house.