Solo Exploring

by Meghann on September 15, 2012

Holy amazing weather, Batman!

IMG_0918.jpg

First of all, I love Chicago. I especially love Chicago in September. The temps were in the mid-seventies and humidity was nowhere to be found all day. What is this weather? Is this fall? I love it!

20120914_112602.jpg

My room wasn’t ready when I first arrived, so I set out to explore the city.

First to Jamba Juice.

20120914_111910.jpg

I had hoped they would have pumpkin smoothies out by now, but they did not. Sadness. They did have new veggie smoothie/juices that looked good. I ordered a small of the apple ‘n’ greens (minus the bananas).

20120914_112209.jpg

It was pretty good. Not pumpkin good, but it did the trick.

Then I headed to the Anytime Fitness Expo to pick up my badge.

20120914_184017.jpg

I’m VIP yo! :)

Also, side note, did you know Anytime Fitness will pay if you get a running man tattoo? True story. Well, I’m not 100% sure if this is only for Anytime Fitness owners/employees or not, but they did have a booth set up at the exhibit hall where you could get a free tattoo.

2d73c6b6fe9611e186b922000a1d0343_7.jpeg

I had to say, this wins for most interesting conference swag I’ve ever seen.

And, nope, I did not get a tattoo. I think I’m good on tattoos for now. ;)

After grabbing my badge, I was free to explore the city.

I had lunch at Hannah’s Bretzel

(ordered the turkey and cheddar on a pretzel bun – yum!)

Then decided I wanted to go for a long walk.

IMG_0919.jpg

So I walked.

And walked.

And walked. And walked. And walked.

Until I ended up at the Lincoln Park Zoo.

I was looking for things to do in the area and Yelp led me here. I’m so glad it did, what an adorable zoo smack in the middle of Chicago.

IMG_0930.jpg

Unfortunately my legs were so tired of walking, that I didn’t get to spend a lot of time exploring. I did get to see a little and what I did was amazing. I’ll have to come back again and stay longer next time.

IMG_0945.jpg IMG_0963.JPG

IMG_0967.jpg IMG_0968.jpg

I made it back to my room just in time to sneak in a quick nap before the 80s themed Anytime Fitness party at the Navy Pier.

IMG_1001.JPG IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG IMG_0998.JPG IMG_0999.JPG

Loved the band. You can’t beat a good 80s cover band. No siree.

Alright. It’s been a long day and tomorrow is going to be even longer. Time to sleep!

Good Night!

1 Monica September 15, 2012 at 7:16 am

2 Recommendations in the city of Chicago:

Intelligentsia Coffee: http://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/

Giordano’s pizza : http://www.giordanos.com/
Monica recently posted..Rut

2 Sara@RunningInPinkProject September 15, 2012 at 7:37 am

Love the red dress with the white bird print! I *just* bought the same one last weekend! (Or something really similar at least- Mine is from Old Navy).
Sara@RunningInPinkProject recently posted..Teaser

3 Meghann September 15, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Mine is Old Navy too. Represent!

4 Kathy September 15, 2012 at 8:02 am

How fun…way to go exploring solo too…looks like another great adventure for Meghann! ;-)

5 Moody Girl in Style September 15, 2012 at 8:21 am

I love seeing all of the sites of Chicago….it’s such a great city. I can’t wait to see more about your trip and the conference.
Moody Girl in Style recently posted..September Wish List – Top 3

6 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 15, 2012 at 8:32 am

I did this through my city when I first moved back after university. I couldn’t believe how much I had never seen/explored. Just setting off through a (safe) downtown on foot is just so … liberating. I don’t know — I just feel so plugged in to the tune of the city when I do it. So much fun!! :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..11mi PRfect Run + Some Love-Buts

7 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

YES! This is fall in Chicago – it typically doesn’t get too cool until October (although in the last few years it’s been in the 80s through October), but the mornings are cool and the humidity magically disappears. I love Lincoln Park Zoo – free is always good!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

8 Natalie@ Free Range Human September 15, 2012 at 9:26 am

Thanks for including the zoo. My husband and I are taking a trip to Chicago for his 30th birthday, and he loves zoos! Must add to the list :)
Natalie@ Free Range Human recently posted..I Like Bread and Butter…

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 15, 2012 at 9:31 am

I’ve been loving the taste of fall we’ve been having around here. The slightly chilly mornings and evenings and crisp air is just lovely.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..I Break The Rules

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 15, 2012 at 9:41 am

you walked REALLY far! Haha, and I Love the zoo! I live only a few blocks away and I love to run through it in the morning, they open the gates at like 5am
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..I can’t believe I’m saying this…

11 Nikki September 15, 2012 at 10:15 am

Haha–I thought you wrote “Burning Man tattoo,” not “running man tattoo” and I started wondering what kind of conference you were really attending… :-)
Nikki recently posted..Happy Friday!

12 Yo Momma Runs September 15, 2012 at 11:00 am

We have a Chicago trip planned for October, and I’m getting so excited. I already have some run routes planned. I get to play while my husband is at a snore fest bank conference. Poor dude! But we’ll squeeze in some fun too. His conference should have a tattoo booth too, with dollar signs that they only do on the face or neck. This post makes me want to go today!
Yo Momma Runs recently posted..Believe in yourself, or get a kid to do it for you

13 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I’m going to Chicago for the first time in November – I can’t wait!

And that’s interesting about the tattoo thing – were a lot of people going for it? I’d think people would put a bit more thought into their tattoos.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Let’s Talk Groceries and Meal Planning.

14 Meghann September 17, 2012 at 9:10 am

I was surprised how many people were getting tattoos. There was actually a long line the entire conference, but this was also something they had been advertising for a while “Get your running man tattoo at the annual AF conference” so maybe the idea had been building in people’s minds for a while. Plus, I think a LOT of people get tattoos in the moment. I know that’s happened to me before.

15 Irina @ Chocolatea Time September 15, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Hannah’s Bretzel is one of my favorite places to grab some quick food in the city! Their chocolate wall is to.die
Irina @ Chocolatea Time recently posted..Dreaded Dentist

16 Lauren September 15, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I love Chicago! Huge fan of Irish pubs ;)
And my husband bought me that dress last week! He likes me to “put a bird on it” :)
Lauren recently posted..Toe Up

17 Jessica September 15, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Hairball! I would recognize that band anywhere. They are excellent! Started right here in good old Minnesota.

18 Erin September 15, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Holy cow! You walked from downtown to Lincoln Park Zoo?? That IS a serious walk. But I’m glad you got a taste of the zoo. It’s one of my favorite places and I love that it’s free.
Erin recently posted..Chicago Half Marathon Magic

19 Steph @ 321delish September 15, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Holy cow! Lincoln Park is a LONG way from downtown! Looks like you’re having fun!
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..Tampa Friends

20 Steph @ 321delish September 15, 2012 at 8:54 pm

and I promise, I hadn’t even seen the prior comment when I said, “holy cow!”
Steph @ 321delish recently posted..Tampa Friends

21 Lisa September 15, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Chicago is close to the top of my list of cities to visit! My boyfriend was supposed to travel there for work this month, but it got cancelled. I was so bummed because I wanted to try to meet him for a quick weekend trip.

There is free zoo in the middle of the city?? That’s so awesome.
Lisa recently posted..Crab in my Pants

22 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 15, 2012 at 10:39 pm

GEEZ. Girl, you walked for-ever! Holy smokes. I’m super impressed. You’re going to trick to your non-Chicagoan readers into thinking Lincoln Park Zoo is legit, Millennium/Grant Park in the middle of the city, when it’s definitely not haha.

Solid choice with Hannah’s Bretzel. I’ve only been once, but I loved what I got. Plus the atmosphere is so industrial chic, at least at the one I went to. I was a big fan.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Thursday Things

23 Caitlin September 17, 2012 at 10:42 pm

My absolute favorite way to see a city is by foot. I love going on runs in new cities, taking public transportation, and walking as much as possible. Chicago is, thus far, my absolute favorite city! Your recent posts are making me super jealous!!