more ยป" />

Morning Cuteness

by Meghann on September 13, 2012

Good Morning!

Thursdays are running mornings. This morning I did a total of 5 miles in my neon green get-up.

runhappy.jpeg

All that was missing was a green ipod! (maybe one of the new nanos? for Christmas? ;) ) Please note that this was not on purpose, but I did laugh when I saw it all put together. I do love the bright neon green trend that’s taking over the running world right now. Must. Buy. More. ;)

Post-run breakfast.

Eggs!

Pear!

Cornbread!

Morning Cuteness

My mom posted some photos of Fido on Facebook the other day and I thought they were too cute not to share. He’s getting so big!

270646_10151139477800750_1352999068_n.jpeg 547981_10151139478060750_987874452_n.jpeg

423956_10151139478435750_859022126_n.jpeg

391605_10151139478520750_1786748063_n.jpeg

Adorbs.

Happy Thursday!

1 Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets September 13, 2012 at 10:20 am

Mmm cornbread for breakfast kind of sounds like the best thing in the world right now. The craving has hit.

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life September 13, 2012 at 10:21 am

aWW Fido is already such a great doggie model!!

3 Merideth September 13, 2012 at 10:42 am

Does Fido have a bark collar or invisible fence collar on?

4 PaigeP September 13, 2012 at 10:43 am

Whether it is a bark collar or an invisible fence collar, it still makes me very sad!

5 Melissa September 13, 2012 at 1:29 pm

No kidding, Paige! Train your dogs the right way without using these awful collars. :( Poor dog. :(

6 Meghann September 13, 2012 at 10:53 am

It’s an invisible fence collar.

7 Liz September 13, 2012 at 10:43 am

Your parents’ new puppy is very cute! I’d hate, though, to see him develop behavior issues due to the shock collar they have on him (I assume it’s a bark control collar.) The Humane Society of the United States doesn’t recommend them because what humans perceive as mildly irritating could be quite painful for a dog (especially a young puppy) so your parents might be delivering painful shocks. Furthermore, they cause more harm than good – the dog also may associate the painful shock with people or other experiences, leading to fearful or aggressive behavior.

8 Meghann September 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

Hi Liz, It’s not a bark collar – it’s an electric fence. We’ve trained all of our dogs (including Maddie) to stay in the yard with the collar. We’ve had the system for 13+ years and have had no behavior issues due to the collar. It works for our family and our pets. We do not believe it’s cruel as the dogs learn very quickly not to cross the barrier.

9 Liz September 13, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hi Meghann, invisible fence/bark control notwithstanding, I know they learn quickly, but just wanted to say that they learn quickly because they get shocked very painfully and then avoid the fence out of fear. There are other positive-based methods to teach your dog to stay in the yard that take more work than simply putting a shock collar on them, like working on the recall command with treats. I don’t mean to come off as sanctimonious, but I believe they’re inhumane and counterproductive. Just because none of your family’s dogs have experienced ill effects doesn’t mean they work for all dogs – I’ve seen a couple of dogs so traumatized by their invisble fence collars that they flat-out began refusing to even go outside and would start shaking and standing stock still.

10 Meghann September 13, 2012 at 11:07 am

I agree that they don’t work for every dog and if Fido starts showing problems they’ll stop. However, I respectfully disagree that they’re inhumane and counterproductive. I’ve seen too many dogs be successful with the system to see otherwise. We all have our own opinions on training and this is just one where we’ll differ. So far Fido is doing great with it.

11 Juli D. September 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Also, shock collars do cause other negative behaviors not specifically associated with the fence itself. You say your dogs have had “no behavior issues” but haven’t you mentioned a lot of behavior issues with Maddie – separation anxiety, barking, trouble potty training? All of those issues can be related to shock collar training, basically the negative feedback leads to a dog lacking in confidence and security. If you are trying to establish a relationship of trust, it seems like leading a dog to pain (which you must do in electric fence training) seems like it would be a conflict to trust building. Perhaps your parents could consider using a tie out.

12 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 13, 2012 at 10:45 am

ahhh Fido is so cute! They grow up so fast! (: Glad you are loving your new dog!

13 Gretchen September 13, 2012 at 10:52 am

Man, that is a sweet li’l guy. Good pictures too, your parents know how to wield the power of the DSLR, I see! I do feel I need to chime in with the others here re: the bark/invisible fence collar. Regardless of its purpose, the two metal little metal prods indicate to me that this collar is of the electric/shock variety and as Liz outlined above, they can be really damaging to the dog. Not just physically, I’m sure your parents don’t have it set at the highest setting or anything, but psychologically. If barking is really such a bad issue, there are spray bark collars available, or ones that emit a corrective sound that is inaudible to humans (not that I particularly like or recommend those options either, but they are better than shock therapy).

I know your parents are very loving dog owners but I just want to make sure they know they have plenty of other options! :)

14 Meghann September 13, 2012 at 10:56 am

Hi Gretchen, it’s not a barking collar (Fido barely makes a peep!) it’s an electric fence. All of our dogs (including Maddie!) learned to stay in the yard thanks to the collar. Before the dog reaches the barrier, the collar does admit a sound that reminds the dog to stay away. Typically he hears that before he’s shocked and learns quickly where the barrier is. My parents would not put Fido in any danger and the collar really is for his safety as we live on a busy road and near som nasty swamps.

15 J September 13, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Swamps? I hope you don’t have any gators around!

16 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 13, 2012 at 10:56 am

I love the neon green workout clothes! I think it might be time for me to update some of mine….I feel like I workout in only black and gray, with a pop of pink thrown in on my shoes. I want some fun exercise clothes!!

That pear looks so freaking yummy right now! If I weren’t down and out sick, I would run to the store and get me one!!

17 Lindsey September 13, 2012 at 10:57 am

Dear Lord, stop nit picking at every little thing people! They clearly do not hurt their pets, so let them train as they please! What may work for YOU, may not work for other people. It’s so annoying when everyone has to find fault with something.

That dog is so cute, boxers are the best.

18 Kathy September 13, 2012 at 1:33 pm

agreed!

19 Reenie September 13, 2012 at 1:52 pm

ITA too!! I have lots of friends that have an invisible fence, and their dogs are great =)

I wanna buy a bark-shock collar for my neighbors dog…. they live like 5 houses from me ~ that dog is the most annoying thing!! Constantly barking…. and I mean constantly. I’m certainly glad I don’t live right beside them. :o

Ahhhh ~ Fido is soooo cute.

20 Kelly September 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm

First off, cute pictures.

Second, I guess I don’t see it as finding fault with something, just differences of opinions. I can understand where if it was a comment about something trivial like fashion it would be completely trivial. But personally if someone thinks there could be an issue with the safety or wellbeing of an animal (or any living being for that matter) I think it is worth speaking up. I know there I thinks I have unintentionally done to my dog that have not been so great for them and usually the only reason I knew was by someone saying something. And there has been other advice I’ve received that I’ve chosen not to take because talking to a vet and doing thoughtful research made me decide on my own it was not an issue.

I think people just get passionate about it because while we can do whatever we want to our own bodies, animals can’t speak for themselves.

Just my 2 cents. Not saying what Meghann’s family is doing is right or wrong, just saying I can understand someone’s concern. And personally I’d rather live in a world where people do speak up because heaven forbid something bad actually happen, vs. feeling like they should only say nice things because it is nitpicking. Not to mention for me at least I know that when I put my life out there on a blog it welcomes scrutiny and comments more than it does in other areas of life.

21 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 13, 2012 at 10:58 am

Haha sometimes I laugh at my running outfits, last week I suddenly realized I was entirely pink. Also on the 4th of July I was at the gym and realized I was wearing red shorts with a red white and blue tie dye shirt without planning it!

22 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 13, 2012 at 11:01 am

He’s so adorable!!

And I’m loving the bright colors in the fitness gear right now too – it’s so fun!

23 Erin (TexanCouture) September 13, 2012 at 11:01 am

I definitely need some neon work out gear. I am so out of the loop with the neon trend.
Fido is adorable esp in the leaves pictures. too cute!

24 Lynn September 13, 2012 at 11:09 am

Fido is adorable! He looks like he has grown so much since you first posted pictures of him. What a handsome devil!

25 SaraB September 13, 2012 at 11:13 am

He is so handsome, and growing so fast! What a charmer!

26 Nicole N September 13, 2012 at 11:16 am

Love the neon green + the shorts!

27 Anne @strawberryjampackedlife September 13, 2012 at 11:17 am

I accidentally matched the same way yesterday! I had bought a new neon green top and a gray skirt (with neon shorts), which I knew matched. And then when I put on my running shoes I realized that they matched as well! I felt like a dork, but my husband said that I looked sporty!

28 Allison @ Running Through Red Lights September 13, 2012 at 11:18 am

I’m loving the neon green, and totally coveting your entire outfit! I can’t decide if I’d rather have the new Garmin or the Pure Connects… how’s a girl to choose?!

My parents are “just looking” at a dog right now, but after seeing pictures of Fido lovin’ life, I really hope they get the dog!

29 Beverly Aragon September 13, 2012 at 11:26 am

Love the last pic of Fido. So sweet!

30 Megan September 13, 2012 at 11:40 am

LOVE the neon green get-up! Sometimes, you just need to be obnoxiously bright and totally coordinated. That’s how I feel about pink. Or neon blue. Or really, anything bright so I don’t get hit by a car. ;)

And LOVE the pup… what a cutie!

31 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian September 13, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Oh my goodness that last one just made my day! Thanks for the Thursday pick-me-up — happy day!

32 Katie September 13, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Oh em gee your boxer is PRECIOUS! I have a boxer too; aren’t they the BEST dogs ever? They are so loveable when they’re that young..I love how they pounce around. Ah I want another one now!

33 Carissa September 13, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I know nothing about dogs or dog training, but I do know neon and sneakers….yours are awesome!

34 Meghann September 13, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Ha! Thanks, Carissa! :)

35 Carolyn September 13, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Agreed!

36 Annette @FitnessPerks September 13, 2012 at 12:35 pm

LOVE the bright green!!! :)

37 Rachel September 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

<3 a Boxer! We have 2!

38 HS September 13, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Meghann what is going on in the background (on the right) of that first picture! It looks like a bug going after a piece of random food on the ground….Ick!!

39 Meghann September 13, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Ha! Alright, this one made me laugh. I went back in the room and found a mini sticky note that was upside down and nothing where the “bug” should be. Maybe the little guy found the sticky note wasn’t to his liking? Or it was a piece of dirt or dog food that Maddie had dragged from her bowl and left there (she likes to take her dog food “to-go” sometimes). This is our spare room and it’s admittedly an unorganized mess. I actually flipped the mirror so you couldn’t see the pile of bridal shower presents or the really messy desk that was originally in the background. Oh, well.

40 Katie @ Year Of Katie September 13, 2012 at 1:28 pm

He’s so cute I can’t handle it!

I have an orange running getup that I’m always kind of embarrassed about. My shoes are neon orange, I’ve got bright orange headphones, I’ve got a tank top with big orange stripes on it, and my “lucky” baseball cap is camo with a a big orange “V” for UVA on it. It’s so horribly mismatched with big bursts of orange, but it’s so comfortable and easy to throw on.

41 Katie @ Year Of Katie September 13, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Also, girl your legs look great!

42 Meghann September 13, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Thank you! This made my day!

43 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 13, 2012 at 1:37 pm

These days I rock the zensah neon pink compression calf sleeves with the bright yellow Mizunos — love it!! (And a car still almost hit me the other day … he underestimate my speed :)
I love that you had cornbread for breakfast! I wish cornbread were more popular up here in Canada — it’s so hard to find! I’m going to need to buckle down and make some I think.
Question: What is that contraption on Fido’s collar?

44 Meghann September 13, 2012 at 1:38 pm

It’s a collar for my parents’ electric fence.

45 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna September 13, 2012 at 2:11 pm

AWWW! Fido is absolutely adorable – and this is coming from a cat lady through and through over here ;)

46 emily September 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm

You and the puppy both look adorable. I have major boob envy right now that you can run in spaghetti straps!

47 Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily September 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Love all of the neon green!!!
Ohhhh Fido…SOOOO cute!

48 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope September 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Fido is so adorable! I love the last picture of him :)

49 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer September 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I love love LOVE the neon trend! I always have! Does that mean I was in front of the fashion curve? Or behind it since it was popular way back when? lol and Fido is ADORBS times a million.

50 Caitlin September 13, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Do you love your Lulu shorts?? I’m in need of a new pair of shorts and have been looking at these. Georgia’s weather is so unpredictable and it could be shorts weather for another 6 weeks.

51 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 13, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I love neon anything – but especially for workout clothes. :-)

52 Sarah September 14, 2012 at 6:04 am

Great outfit!

Will you do a follow-up post now that you’ve been using the new Garmin for a while?