Wedding: We Have a DJ

by Meghann on September 12, 2012

We booked a DJ!

(that’s Derek doing his happy dance πŸ˜‰ )

I know what you’re thinking – took you long enough!

You’d assume I would have learned my lesson after my sister waited until the last minute to book her DJ and ended up calling everyone and their mother looking for recommendations once she discovered everyone was booked solid. But, nope, I didn’t. Since my wedding is technically in wedding “off-season” I got a little cozy knowing DJs wouldn’t be as in demand as they were at the height of wedding season in June. (p.s. that’s just one of the reasons I LOVE getting married in the “off season”. Maybe I should write a post about that?)

Anyway, we contacted our first DJ hopeful back in June. It was the same DJ my friend had at her wedding earlier in the year and I thought he did a fabulous job getting the crowd dancing. We set up a Skype chat for the end of the month where he instantly sold us on his enthusiasm and professionalism as a DJ. We were all set to sign, until we got the final numbers. Ouch. His prices had shot up nearly 50% since my friend had booked him over a year ago. I guess word got out that he was good and since our wedding was all the way in Titusville (and not Orlando) he wasn’t willing to budge due to travel costs. Derek and I talked it over and decided that paying that much for a DJ wasn’t very high on our priority list. We said thanks, but no thanks, and each wished each other luck.

That was the moment I realized that looking for an Orlando based DJ wasn’t going to work. Everything out of Orlando was pricing much higher than everything from the Brevard area, so I started asking around there. I posted a thread on my venue’s Facebook page and got a couple of recommendations.

In July, Derek and I connected with a couple from the area that DJ on the side and had worked events at our venue in the past. We had a great Skype session with them, but something didn’t click. The price was right, but Derek wasn’t impressed with their experience or ability to hype up a crowd. Once again, we were back at square one.

To be honest, I sort of let the DJ search drop after that. Derek said he would get a list of DJ recommendations from a co-worker who used to plan events in the area, but the co-worker never got back to him. We waited and waited, until I finally got a burst of energy and decided we had to book someone right that very minute.

I ended up calling another DJ our venue had recommended, but he was booked. Then I called the DJ from my brother’s wedding, but he was booked too. So much for my cozy window! Oops. I think this when the real panic started to set in.

The DJ who did my brother’s wedding had a couple of recommendations that I followed up on. The first one I called was free and had done a wedding at our venue before. He sent some photos/video from the wedding and answered all of the questions I had on the phone. The price was right, he was energetic, he’d worked at our venue before, and he was available – SOLD!

I paid the deposit last night. The DJ is officially booked. So happy to have that task finally crossed off my list.

How did you pick your DJ?

1 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm

That’s a big one, I bet that’s a relief to have done!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW Half a School Day

2 Heather September 12, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I got a little cozy thinking the DJ would be easy as well. I had a friend from college who DJed on the side. I assumed he would be free since he was from the area we were getting married and I got married during the college winter break (He was in grad school and I was finishing up my senior year). Unfortunately they were going out of town that weekend. However, someone my husband worked with also DJ’d and we used him. The price was right and he did a pretty good job.

3 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm

A good DJ can really make or break the night! I’m glad that you found one that meets all your requirements — definitely a big one to check off your list!! I hope that now you know who you’re going to lose you can start dreaming about the awesome party he’s going to rock up for you.
Funny question: As you’re planning more and more of the specifics, do you find they’re incorporating themselves into your dreams? (That is if you’re dreaming about it at all …)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Weird Wednesday …

4 Gavi September 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Congratulations on selecting your DJ! I’m sure you will have an amazing dance party. Our venue highly recommended the DJ we ultimately chose. We read his amazing Yelp! and WeddingWire reviews and booked him after he took us on a walk-through at our venue. He was incredibly helpful throughout the planning process and he helped us design great playlists for each part of the day. In addition, he helped me and my husband coordinate and arrange our wedding day surprises (like my father-daughter dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUL0YkgC-Eg). I’m sure your DJ will help make your day amazing!

5 BroccoliHut September 12, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Yay! That must be such a relief for you!
We ended up choosing a live band after getting some information from a local bridal show. We went to a website that had a variety of wedding bands to choose from, then listened to their recordings and looked through playlists. So we ended up choosing a band within one evening!

6 Cher September 14, 2012 at 9:25 am

My DJ was included (and mandatory) with the venue – he sucked, haha. EVERY time someone made a request he would come find me and ask me if it was okay.

7 Kashi @ Cape Island Runners September 15, 2012 at 12:44 pm

My hubby was very laid back about the wedding planning, but this was something he had strong feelings on. He wanted us to do the music and MCing ourselves. I was a little nervous about it, but he has awesome musical taste/talent so I trusted him. It worked out amazing!!! We had a really good time making iTunes playlists – one for cocktail hr, one for dinner and one for dancing. We put the father/daughter and our first dance in their own section (his mom declined a mom/son, she is pretty shy). We added songs that we knew meant things to our guests (like my parents “song” and songs that reminded us of good times with different friends) and to us as a couple. We did the MCing ourselves in terms of welcoming people and then the best man from my parent’s wedding introduced the father/daughter and our best man introduced our first dance. The hubby and I also did a little guitar/flute solo that was super fun as a way to kick off the dancing portion of the evening. We kept the dance floor packed all night long and it was one of those nights where I was like “yes, my baby nailed it!!”. So it had a homegrown feeling and we saved a boatload of $$. I know some people can be nervous about this option, but if you are willing to put the time it, it can be really awesome! Here is a tip for anyone that wants to try it – since most people are engaged for about year and sometimes more, it is likely you will go to other events with dancing. We would keep a list on our iPhones of songs that seemed to get people’s booties moving. We also used SoundHound app all over the place. The whole yr we were engaged, our ears were always open for good songs wherever we went. If we didn’t know what the song was, we just SHed it and put it on the list!
Kashi @ Cape Island Runners recently posted..Full Moon Run on the OC Boards!

8 heidi September 17, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Live music was one of our top priorities so we did a LOT of research both in the area and in surrounding cities and ended up booking a band that did a great job at friend’s wedding πŸ™‚ congrats on one more thing checked off the list

9 Brittney September 18, 2012 at 10:41 am

Pretty sure I’ve said this before, but can you please just get married already? LOL weddings make me so happy and I am dying for the recap of yours! πŸ™‚ So happy that everything is moving along well for y’all though!