more ยป" />

The Satisfaction of Hitting Snooze

by Meghann on September 12, 2012

Derek’s alarm went off 15 minutes earlier than usual this morning. When I asked him why that was, he told me he wanted the satisfaction of pressing snooze a couple of times before he really had to get up. That made me laugh. This was his way of sticking it to the man. Or, you know, sticking it to the alarm clock. ;)

Are you a “snoozer”?

I usually set my alarm for the minute I have to get up (without any wiggle room), but there are occasions when the snooze button and I are BFFs.

However, there was no snooze for me this morning; I like to get an early start on mornings that I go to the gym. The drive there and back is already a time killer (about 10-15 minutes each way) so sleeping in really isn’t an option.

Once I made it to the gym, I hopped on the treadmill and took a slow jog at a gentle climb (kept 6.0 pace while raising treadmill every few minutes from 1.0 all the way to 5.0). I think I covered roughly 2.5 miles total. After the treadmill, I did Workout A from Women’s Health Wedding Workout.

Breakfast was something that’s been on my mind all week.

I’d like to give a big “Welcome Back” to the Pumpkin Spice Smoothie

IMG_0809.jpg

Man. I forgot how good these are!

Pumpkin Smoothie

• 1/2 cup pumpkin
  • 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter
  • 1 teaspoon chia seeds
  • 1 tablespoon flax seed
  • drizzle of honey
  • pumpkin spice
  • 1.5 cups of milk (add more as needed)
  • 2 tablespoons raisins
  • ice

Place everything in blender and blend until smooth.

The raisins were a new addition. I thought they added a little texture and extra sweetness to the smoothie. I also usually make them with vanilla yogurt, but we’re out. I was worried it wouldn’t turn out, but still tasted great. So happy fall is here and pumpkin stuff is back in season. I’m already counting down the days until I can make this again.

On the side I toasted a leftover waffle and smeared it with strawberry jelly and walnuts.

A perfect breakfast.

FYI: Mary wrote a post covering all the recipes she used for Saturday’s surprise bridal shower. Check it out now HERE. I already have my eyes on the Buffalo Chicken Quinoa bites – those were my fave!

Have a great Wednesday everyone!

1 Simone September 12, 2012 at 10:38 am

Im not a snoozer, I set my alarm for the minute I have to get up however, almost every morning I regret that decision, especially as its getting colder in the mornings I always want just 5 more minutes in bed.

2 Simone September 12, 2012 at 10:38 am

3 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes September 12, 2012 at 10:42 am

I’m not a snoozer; I’d much rather have 15 extra minutes of “interrupted” sleep instead of hitting the snooze button a few times. Plus, like you, Meghann, snoozing before hitting the gym doesn’t work well for me. The pumpkin spice smoothie looks yummy! :)

4 Army Amy* September 12, 2012 at 10:51 am

I totally snooze! I set 3 alarms and the first two are so I can get ‘extra’ sleep. It makes sense in my mind!*

5 Reenie September 12, 2012 at 11:15 am

Snoozer here….. I hit mine about 5 times!! HA!

6 Becka @ simplybecka September 12, 2012 at 11:25 am

I never used to be but I am a snoozer now a days. I wish I could resolve my body to wake up earlier but alas some days it just doesn’t happen. Have a great day. ^_^

7 Lisa Fine September 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

What kind of canned pumpkin do you recommend? I bought our store brand’s kind, but it isn’t very good. I need some suggestions! :)

8 Meghann September 12, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I usually get Libby’s. I’ve found the organic stuff from Whole Foods is sort of runny. Libby’s is thick and more out-of-the-can ready.

9 Elise September 12, 2012 at 12:02 pm

haha this is SO true. my alarm went off at 5:30 this morning, and there was an instant where i thought i could set it for 30 minutes later and go back to sleep. then i realized i had to get to the gym. but i immediately thought that maybe i’d set it early for tomorrow just so i can have some snooze time.

10 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions September 12, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Oh man, I’m not a snoozer at all. I do have two alarms set (one on my radio, one on my phone), and I usually stay in bed during the two minutes between the radio alarm and the phone alarm, but I can’t do snooze. I’ll never get up if I keep letting myself fall back asleep!

11 Natalie September 12, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I guess I’m a semi-snoozer. I always hit the snooze for five more minutes, but usually end up getting up before it goes off. It does, however, take me awhile to wake up. I have no interest in talking to anyone for about an hour and I have to take shower in the dark!!

12 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 12, 2012 at 12:22 pm

hahaha that is so funny about the snooze thing. I never sleep past my alarm. Right when it goes off I’m out of bed. It is so weird! I guess I like to get my day started… and probably eat haha.

13 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats September 12, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I like to hit snooze, it makes getting up less of a jolt! So I set my alarm about 10 min earlier than I need to get up. And I’m the same on the gym, it’s a half mile from my house and I have to walk back and forth, it kills almost 30 minutes of my morning!

14 Lauren September 12, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’m starting to become a snoozer. I never used to be but the crisp mornings only make me want to burry myself deep in the covers just a little longer.

15 Annette @FitnessPerks September 12, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I’m not a snoozer AT all. I totally set it for the minute I have to get up, and I do get up. I don’t think I’ve ever hit snooze in my life. But then again, I am an overachiever. ;)

16 kris September 12, 2012 at 12:57 pm

mmm – delish looking breakfast!
i’m a total snoozer! – i’ve gotten a bit better lately and push it only once, but i’ve literally pressed snooze (every 9 mins) for 2 hrs before. i probably should have just set my alarm later, but it happened to be one of those days when i could not get up!

17 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I’m the exact opposite of most people … the thought of hitting the snooze button makes me anxious!! I HATE being late more than anything. And I’m the kind of person who needs a lonnnnng time to wake up and get going (I get ready in 10-15min, but still leave myself a good 60min+ before I have to leave the house just to kind of get into my “groove” … now that I’m typing this it sounds really weirds and counter-intuitive … works for me, though! haha.)
Loving the look of that smoothie! Cannot wait to get my hands on some REAL pumpkin this autumn!!

18 Jess from Team Awesome September 12, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I am am a snoozer, but getting better about it! I used to set my alarm for 45 minutes early. Which is kind of crazy. I only hit snooze twice now, but I would really love to be one of those people who can just hop out of bed on the first beep!
Any tips would be appreciated! :)

19 Meghann September 12, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Motivation gets me out of bed. Like knowing if I don’t get up, then I’m going to miss XYZ. That’s motivation.

20 Jessica @jessicafarrulla.com September 12, 2012 at 1:26 pm

That smoothie looks DE LISH!! I’ll have to share the recipe with my clients. Thanks!!

21 Whitney September 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm

The snooze button & I are worst enemies, we get in to fights every morning – often several times

22 Ellen @ Wannabe Health Nut September 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Mmm mmm this looks tasty! And no, I’m not a snoozer. I can’t get into a deep sleep when I know I need to be AWAKE! I usually wake up on my own around 5am. I have yet to decide if that’s a good or bad thing!!

23 laura September 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm
24 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 12, 2012 at 4:31 pm

So many pumpkin recipes already – I definitely need to pick up a can!

25 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 12, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I can’t believe you set your alarm for the minute you’re supposed to wake up! I thought everyone used snooze? I tend to hit snooze for a full half hour before I actually get out of bed haha. I’m pinning this recipe for the pumpkin pie smoothie, can’t wait to try it!

26 Maureen September 12, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I am NOT a snoozer. Once that alarm goes off, I cannot fall back to sleep! It’s like my switch has been flipped to “on” immediately! :)

27 Brianne September 12, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Buffalo chicken quinoa bites?! Delicious. Thanks for posting about the Pumpkin pie smoothie I’ll try to remember to make that instead of running out for Dairy Queen pumpkin pie blizzards when they come out (i literally wait all year for them) haha

28 Emily N September 13, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I am NOT a snoozer. the alarm typically scares me so much when it goes off that my heart is racing and i cannot get back to sleep. this is why a struggled with some exes who were big time snoozers!