Bottle Shock

by Meghann on September 11, 2012

Great movie.

173a8d8afc7011e1854522000a1cdaf1_7.jpeg

Courtney lent Derek and I Bottle Shock after we spent a good portion of Friday night discussing Napa and California wine country (Courtney is running Ragnar out there – JEALOUS!). The film is based on the 1976 wine competition where California wine defeated French wine in a blind taste test and essentially put Napa on the map. I know it’s a fictional account of the event, but I still found it fascinating to see how far California wine country has come in the last 30+ years. The movie made me want to do a little more research into wine country – anyone have any good documentary recommendations?

I’d say if you love Napa, love a good bottle of wine, or just love good movies – Bottle Shock is a movie worth checking out. Not quite as great as Sideways, but definitely up there. ;)

I wasn’t terribly hungry for dinner tonight, so I kept it simple with dinner for breakfast.

I toasted one of Sunday’s leftover waffles and topped it with two scrambled eggs and feta.

Paired with fresh tomato slices.

Earlier I topped some graham crackers with a combo of ricotta, peanut butter, pumpkin, cinnamon, and raisins as a mid-afternoon snack.

The combo was surprisingly delicious. Yay for pumpkin season!

Now it’s late and time for bed.

Good Night!

1 Lauren September 11, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Love that movie! There’s a great wine documentary called “Blood Into Wine.” If you’re familiar with the band Tool it will be extra interesting because it’s about the lead singer and his winery in Jerome, AZ. My husband and I made a trip out to the winery a few years ago and it was pretty great. And if you ever get a chance to visit Jerome or Sedona I HIGHLY recommend it.
Lauren recently posted..Tying Knots

2 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 12, 2012 at 1:34 am

Meghann — I’m working an overnight shift right now, and you have NO IDEA how much I’m now craving waffles and eggs. Hmmph. haha. I hope you enjoyed it!! :)
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..GF Goodies!!

3 Elle September 12, 2012 at 2:18 am

Love Bottleshock! I work in Southern California wine country and find the wine industry in general to be so interesting. I highly recommend visiting to experience California wine. While Napa is great, my favorite CA wine region is Paso Robles on the central coast. It is absolutely stunning and the wine is phenomenal!!

4 SarahM September 12, 2012 at 6:59 am

Sideways is another great movie
Hubby and I went to Sonoma for a wedding a year ago and it is one of our fav vacations. We went to 14 wineries in 4 days (you do the math). We had a blast. And did 2 day in San Fran. I want to go back so badly! And I don’t like repeating vacations. So that says alot

5 Leanne @ The Skinny Architect September 12, 2012 at 8:09 am

Yay, I love that movie! When I was in Napa a few years ago I got to go to Chateau Montelena and I have an autographed copy of the movie by Bo Barrett (sadly I couldn’t find Chris Pine anywhere)! It’s an incredibly beautiful winery, I highly recommend it if you’re ever in Napa!
Leanne @ The Skinny Architect recently posted..All this energy callin’ me

6 Candice September 12, 2012 at 8:34 am

Ricotta and PB?! I never would have put those two together. Looks so good though!
Candice recently posted..Bucky does NYC and I’m a Sweat Pink Ambassador!

7 Jill September 12, 2012 at 8:49 am

It’s not a documentary, but there’s a good book on the the history of American wine (and wine country) called The House of Mondavi by Julia Flynn Siler. My mother read it before she went out to Napa a few years ago and said that it really gave her a better sense of where she was visiting. Plus, she’s a librarian so I tend to put a lot of stock in her book suggestions.

8 Candice September 12, 2012 at 9:30 am

I’m always looking for a good movie! Eggs for dinner?=perfection!
Candice recently posted..Sparkle clean

9 Kaitlyn September 12, 2012 at 9:34 am

Love Bottle Shock and I too recommend Blood into Wine. Tapped is a good one too. You will never touch a plastic bottle of water again.
Kaitlyn recently posted..Half marathon training ensues

10 Christine @ BookishlyB September 12, 2012 at 10:10 am

I love Blood Into Wine! It also gave me a better appreciation for Tool (and even Pucifer, haha).
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday- Open Your Eyes

11 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 12, 2012 at 10:01 am

That afternoon snack looks DELICIOUS!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

12 Christine @ BookishlyB September 12, 2012 at 10:09 am

That one sounds interesting! I have tons of great documentary suggestions! If you check out the “Document This” tab on my blog you’ll find some. 180 Degrees South is awesome- and it streams on Netflix.
Christine @ BookishlyB recently posted..Top Ten Tuesday- Open Your Eyes

13 Erika September 12, 2012 at 11:57 am

I have yet to see the movie Bottle Shock, but after visiting the winery and seeing THE bottle of wine that won the actual competition while on our honeymoon this past July, it is definitely on our “to watch” list……Don’t know of any documentaries – sorry…..interested to see what everyone else has to say :) HUGS

14 Jennifer L September 12, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I love Bottle Shock.. but I had such a hard time getting past that horrible hair Chris Pine had for Bo Barrett…. it always makes me laugh. Great story, though!

Wine is sort of a hobby for me, and I haven’t really found any documentaries that are any good. You’d think there would be. Blood into Wine is interesting in its own way, but it has more to do with making wine in an unpopular region (Arizona) and convincing you it’s good. It’s still probably the best of wine docs, though, because usually they are corny and too “beginner” even for beginners. There’s a mockumentary called “Corked” that looks funny, but I haven’t seen it yet. It’s on Netflix. Supposedly it makes fun of the snobbery and silliness in CA wine country. Others I haven’t seen/haven’t been able to find: Mondovino and From Ground to Glass.

If you’re interested in wine you might want to go the reading route. You’ll learn a lot more and will have a good reference! Someone mentioned the House of Mondavi and it IS a very interesting read! It’s more about the family than wine, but it gives a real look at the beginnings of CA wine and all the politics involved. Windows to the World is a great primer (and reference) for wine, too, if you want to learn more about grapes, regions, and deciphering wine labels (makes purchasing much less intimidating and more likely you’ll end up with a bottle you’ll really love!).

Also, someone mentioned the doc 180 degrees south.. not about wine at all, but it’s really good! It’s about a guy who sails from CA to South America to climb a mountain in Patagonia. Definitely worth a watch!
Jennifer L recently posted..Why I Climb: A Tale of Two Wheels

15 Emily N September 12, 2012 at 12:18 pm

You could always just watch Sideways? :D
Emily N recently posted..A Few Lessons Learned

16 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 12, 2012 at 5:19 pm

I love that snack idea, looks like a random combination but I bet it’s completely delicious. I’m all about random snack combos!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #4: On the Go

17 Heather September 12, 2012 at 6:00 pm

The snack looks great!

I grew up in Napa and now live in Sonoma County but I haven’t seen any of these movies. :)