Wedding: Our Custom Cake Topper

by Meghann on September 10, 2012

Remember our great search for a cake topper? Well, I think we found one. .. Or I should say we definitely found one since I’ve already ordered it, paid for it, and it arrived on our front doorstep over the weekend. 😉

Perfect. Exactly what we wanted.

I love Etsy. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, it’s almost guaranteed that someone out there will be willing to make it for you. I sent messages to three custom cake-topper sellers I found in my searches and asked if there was anyway they could produce a copper-ish snowflake cake topper.Two Broads Design responded immediately (seriously – within 5 minutes of sending the message) and said yes. Only they couldn’t make the snowflake completely out of copper, and asked if wood painted a copper color was ok. Sure, wood worked too.

We messaged back and forth about specifics, then they created a custom order in my name. This all happened back in July. Even though they were really quick to respond right off the bat, I didn’t hear from them for a while after that and almost forgot about my order.

It wasn’t until last week – when a message popped up in my inbox informing me the wooded snowflake they had ordered had arrived – that I remembered I had ordered it.

I had requested our initials on it, so they sent a photo of the snowflake as is (with the option of tiny initials) and with a heart (a larger space to write the initials).

snowflake topper.jpeg snowflake topper2.jpeg

I selected the heart option.

After that, they painted the snowflake copper, added our initials, and sent it our way.

I love it. It’s simple, tasteful, and perfect for our theme. We plan on having a fairly plain cake (no decorations – just frosting), so I think this will really make the cake pop on the dessert table.

I also like how we can remove the copper stick from the back when we’re done and turn the snowflake into an ornament to hang on our Christmas tree.

It’s really exciting to see our “rustic snowflake” theme starting to come to life. It’s the little details that really brings everything together.

1 Jenn C. September 10, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I like it! My friend all kinds of special stuff for her wedding (Doctor Who themed) on Etsy. I didn’t really know about Etsy when I got married 7 1/2 years ago. I don’t even know if it existed actually.

2 Grace @ Grace Dishes September 10, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Extremely tasteful cake topper! I love the personal touch and the fact you can re-use it for something else. Wonderful!
Grace @ Grace Dishes recently posted..It’s Monday again and this means….FMM!

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 10, 2012 at 1:40 pm

What a cute idea! I love it!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday // Madness

4 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm

That’s so cute that you can turn it into a Christmas ornament!! A perfect keepsake.
Katie @ Peace Love and Oats recently posted..Sunday Funday

5 Emily N September 10, 2012 at 2:28 pm

It looks pretty good! I am glad you found the right thing for your cake!
Emily N recently posted..Just a Casual Sunday

6 Kathy September 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm

really cute …

7 Anne P September 10, 2012 at 2:49 pm

How cute! I love this idea – especially that you can use it again as a Christmas tree ornament! That will be such a sweet thing to have on the tree. 🙂

Can’t wait to see it in person in January!!! xo

8 Margo September 10, 2012 at 2:55 pm

How perfect! This totally fits your theme, and I love that it can double as an ornament.

9 Annette @FitnessPerks September 10, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Oooh cool! I really need to hop on etsy more often….or not. Then my wallet would die. Hah.
Annette @FitnessPerks recently posted..Fab Weekend + Vega On The Go

10 Cheryl September 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm

First, I love the actual cake topper. It’s incredibly tasteful. I also LOVE that you can use this as an ornament later… that seems like an amazing way to remember your special day years into the future.

11 Lynn September 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm

How fun! I am totally going to use your idea and turn our C into a christmas tree decoration in the future. We arleady have a special tradition that I get a Christmas ornament from my hubby every year. This is going to make our tree even more special.

12 Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Love the cake topper. Unfortunately – ours ended up being too heavy for our cake .. it apparently was starting to crack with the topper on … so they placed it in front. Frontally – it wasn’t custom.. and I wasn’t really concerned about what it looked like!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Oh, First Grade!

13 Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale September 10, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Agreed on the Etsy front — it literally has anything and everything you could ever imagine.
Great concept. It must have been amazing seeing an idea that was purely from your imagination come into life. To be able to hold it in your hands.
It’s going to make for such an elegant topper, and a great memory for years of Christmases to come! 🙂
Chelsie @ Balance, Not Scale recently posted..Sunday Smiles Make for a MIMM!

14 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm

i love your wedding topper! so adorable!
Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife recently posted..The Secret of a K-Cup

15 Jasmine Ward September 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Wow, absolutely gorgeous cake topper. I agree, Etsy is a wonderful place. 🙂 I’ll have to check these designers out. Thanks!
Jasmine Ward recently posted..Best Wedding Cake Toppers updated Tue Jul 24 2012 12:20 am EDT

16 Jules @ Jog on Jules September 11, 2012 at 8:18 am

I love this! Your theme is brilliant…something I would never have thought of but it all fits together so well. I cannot wait to be reading about your wedding!
Jules @ Jog on Jules recently posted..Almost Wordless Wednesday…

17 Stace September 12, 2012 at 9:03 am

I actually purchased a wedding hanger from that shop and it turned out awesome. This was for a friend but i was so happy with the work and customer service that I will be using them again now that i plan my own wedding! I love your cake topper it looks great!